IGNORED

No shoe modesty!

Ivycoveredtower

That's interesting; do heels cause skeletal problems of some sort? I've never heard of that, because I don't wear high heels myself.

they can cause all kinds of problems, not just skeletal but with the muscles and ligaments in the feet, legs, and back. i also developed plantar fasciitis, though i haven't had a flare up in a long time. my constant wearing of heels likely did nothing to help this. (full disclosure: my gaining of about 100 lbs since that time when i was wearing heels constantly also didn't help, but the shoes probably did the most damage)

i wore heels for my graduation in 2013 (not very big heels...like three inches, i think. they were actually the smallest ones in terms of heels i've owned and wore) and i almost died, i swear. my feet hurt so goddamn bad. i was so glad i had brought a pair of flats "just in case". that's what i get for trying to be extra fancy!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's interesting; do heels cause skeletal problems of some sort? I've never heard of that, because I don't wear high heels myself.

Heels shorten the Achilles tendon, which is one of the strongest tendons in the body. When it is shortened too frequently, all kinds of problems can occur when your foot is back to its natural state (barefoot). Because the Achilles is strong enough to handle the assault, the assault passes to the weaker tendons and muscles, causing things like plantar fasciitis.

I wanted to add to the thread that I am SO FREAKING SICK AND TIRED of Michelle droning on about how there are SO MANY OF THEM! every time they do anything or go anywhere or buy anything. We fucking KNOW, Michelle..... it's the name of the show!!

Jill is a lot shorter than Derick. She could have worn three inch heels and been fine. So who knows why she went barefoot.

post-8463-14451999458818_thumb.jpg

I just noticed that Jill and Derick look like they could be brother and sister there. :?

If I could link a picture, I'd show y'all how Jill may have gotten married barefoot (can't ruin that all-important "height difference" :roll: ), but left the church in cheap white flip-flops.

Poor Jill, a kitten heel would have been MODEST and very minimally affected that precious height difference.

Well someone wasn't thinking with that choice. Being barefoot at the wedding is usually a wink to the fact someone is knocked up. Barefoot and pregnant. Just adds more to the rumors.

I honestly just took it as her having a vision as a child of walking down the aisle barefoot. She seems to come off as a tiny bit on the crunchier side, all natural births, wildflowers, etc... I can see how the vision she had was barefoot. I think that was probably the main motivator, and throwing in the height difference was just a bonus. I can get that, I wore kitten heeled sandals at my wedding..because I didnt want to be taller because I love the height difference between me and hubs. Its a sexy thing to me.

I don't think flipflops/barefoot is that weird. I think she wanted that sort of casual country wedding, and it's not like the reception was formal! What kind of shoes are more appropriate for cookies and rootbeer floats? Crocs and converse?

The judgment of weddings and all of the expectations people have as guests (and spectators) is ridiculous IMO. If she had planned a formal dress wedding, yeah, it'd be weird to go barefoot, but it clearly wasn't. She should wear what she's comfortable and happy in, and she obviously did. It's nobody else's problem!

I also found it interesting that Jill said she was going barefoot I never realized she did that. I mean you have to wear sleeves but sure you can go barefoot. guess they never heard of foot fetishes. :lol:

Practicing for being "barefoot and pregnant".

I don't think flipflops/barefoot is that weird. I think she wanted that sort of casual country wedding, and it's not like the reception was formal! What kind of shoes are more appropriate for cookies and rootbeer floats? Crocs and converse?

The judgment of weddings and all of the expectations people have as guests (and spectators) is ridiculous IMO. If she had planned a formal dress wedding, yeah, it'd be weird to go barefoot, but it clearly wasn't. She should wear what she's comfortable and happy in, and she obviously did. It's nobody else's problem!

Like someone else said she was in a church. since when is it okay to not wear shoes in a church? A beach wedding Sure. A wedding in the yard. Okay but a church no way.

I like going barefoot - in summer, I will often run across to the convenience store without shoes - but not wearing shoes AT ALL at the wedding is just wrong. Sorry, but it's supposed to be the most special day of your life, and you can't even be bothered to put on a pair of shoes?!

One of the most exciting parts of my wedding prep was when I went for a dress fitting last week and got to try my dress on with my shoes. I had saved up and bought something really special, and I can't wait to wear them on the day.

My hypothesis, in regards to the preference of flip flops over ballet flats, is that flip flops are super accessible and cheap. You can possibly justify having a pair in every color of the rainbow, if you shop when a place like Old Navy has them for a couple of bucks. You can have 10 pairs for the cost of one decent pair of ballet flats.

I loved seeing the older girls get excited about shoe shopping. I am not a big shoe person, but it was one of the only times I've felt any connection to them. I understand getting excited about something because it is pretty and makes you feel good about yourself. I think that's one of the healthier things I've ever witnessed on this show.

I'm not a Christian and never have been, but I very, very vaguely remember something about G-d being mad at Jesus because Jesus didn't take off his shoes. Did something like that happen, or was it just a weird dream I had?

I let my bridesmaids pick their own shoes and accessories. Well, without me knowing it, they got together and found some silver ballet slippers on the clearance rack and did a bedzzle on them (accents on the top not all over). They didn't stop there. They bought ME an identical pair and bedazzled them for me. OMG! They are all gorgeous!

Jill, honey, you could have done that for yourself. Going barefoot in public, much less YOUR OWN WEDDING is unacceptable unless your at the beach.

One of my daughters wore Converse when she got married. Her grandmother made her dress and made a glitzed-up pair of Converse to go with them. They were low-cut Chucks. Another daughter wore a similar pair of Chucks to her prom. I doubt my daughters took inspiration from this, but I read a Barbie store years ago were she broke a heel at a school dance and went to the girl's locker room for to fetch her gym sneakers. She never had so much fun dancing!

My hypothesis, in regards to the preference of flip flops over ballet flats, is that flip flops are super accessible and cheap. You can possibly justify having a pair in every color of the rainbow, if you shop when a place like Old Navy has them for a couple of bucks. You can have 10 pairs for the cost of one decent pair of ballet flats.

I loved seeing the older girls get excited about shoe shopping. I am not a big shoe person, but it was one of the only times I've felt any connection to them. I understand getting excited about something because it is pretty and makes you feel good about yourself. I think that's one of the healthier things I've ever witnessed on this show.

Also, flip flops are more interchangeable. Size doesn't matter as much so they can share them. I have giant feet, but I know in a pinch at a friend's house I can almost always find a pair of flip flops to wear. If the girls all have different but similar sizes, flip flops enable them to be community shoes like the community closet.

Now that I've watched the show I'm confused. Joy said feet had to be covered. (?) But Jill is going barefoot and they all bought sandals for the wedding. Plus on a daily basis the girls seem to wear flip flops for almost everything.

Which is it?

I think it is part of their religion that they keep secret

Anyone notice?? Jessa was also barefoot when the permission was sought for the engagement.

not wearing shoes at your wedding symbolizes (for some) that they are being humble in the face of God during a religious ceremony.

In eastern philosophy the ground is clean, and walking on it with shoes makes it dirty - thats why asians take off shoes first. It could mean the ground of your wedding was clean, or at least not unclean

I think it is part of their religion that they keep secret

not wearing shoes at your wedding symbolizes (for some) that they are being humble in the face of God during a religious ceremony.

In eastern philosophy the ground is clean, and walking on it with shoes makes it dirty - thats why asians take off shoes first. It could mean the ground of your wedding was clean, or at least not unclean

Then why didn't everyone else take shoes off? At least those of her family, who ostensibly would have the same beliefs.

I was disturbed to notice that in this picture from JTTH, Jinger and the blonde girl on the right are barefoot (disturbing because Gothard is a foot pedophile)

jana-duggar-journey-to-the-heart-pose.jpg

p.s., why is Jill's (Jill is the girl on the log, right?) hair so blonde in that picture? Jill used to be blonde as a child, but in all recent pictures it's light brown.

Also in this picture from JTTH, it looks like the brown haired girl second to the right and Jill are barefoot.

P1040437.JPG

Now that I've watched the show I'm confused. Joy said feet had to be covered. (?) But Jill is going barefoot and they all bought sandals for the wedding. Plus on a daily basis the girls seem to wear flip flops for almost everything.

Which is it?

Joy and Jana were joking. at the end you can kind of hear Jana say no not really or something similar.

Archived