IGNORED

Escape From Duggarville (MERGE)

nomoxian

rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/656002

The article talks about a fundamentalist Christian woman who left her abusive husband, and provides a good overview of the Quiverfull lifestyle for people who aren't obsessed about it (like many of us) She's the creator of No Longer Quivering, which I understand some people on here are not fans of... but I still think this is a good article :)

"At the women’s shelter, I was given a form to complete … I wrote three pages describing the situation in our home, and after reading what I had written, the crisis volunteer said to me, “The judge will not grant you a protection order unless you actually accuse your husband of abuse.â€

I told her that I didn’t really think my husband was “technically†abusive, and in fact, I had no doubt that he truly loved me and the kids. He always put us first … he basically centered his entire life around us! We were a good Christian family.

...In 2003, we were named “Nebraska Family of the Year†by the Nebraska Family Council"

I think that was a good article. The power and control wheel illustrated by verses is really good.

Why are some people on here not fans of Vyckie Garrison?

ETA: I found the search functions and 448 hits for Vyckie. I'll chase down that rabbit hole myself.

I stumbled across this article, "Escape from Duggarville: How playing the good Christian housewife almost killed me", on Pinterest, and thought it was an interesting read... it's about a fundie housewife that escaped the Quiverfull movement. Through therapy she realized that the lifestyle is abusive toward women and children, and she ends up finding the courage to divorce her husband and leave the community. She now has a blog about her journey, and helping other women escape spiritual abuse. There are also links to her blog and other blogs of similar topics.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/656002/

hmmm, sounds like vyckie's trying to get exposure so she can get help with her current financial situation, since this is nothing new. that's the only thing i can think of. it's a little too coincidental that she posted she needed help last week and a "new" story got released on saturday to follow it.

I saw this article on Facebook and it looked very familiar. Turns out I had read it on No Longer Quivering.. and the comments below it state that it was written two years ago.

I saw this article on Facebook and it looked very familiar. Turns out I had read it on No Longer Quivering.. and the comments below it state that it was written two years ago.

not surprised it was written a while back. with her finances the way they are, she probably figures the extra exposure will help drive donations up, even though the article itself is old. i suppose she figures if it's old enough, no one will notice? the internet is forever, vyckie.

not surprised it was written a while back. with her finances the way they are, she probably figures the extra exposure will help drive donations up, even though the article itself is old. i suppose she figures if it's old enough, no one will notice? the internet is forever, vyckie.

I think she's also finally removed the Razing Ruth articles from her site, perhaps so that no one can now claim that they don't want to donate to her because of her past intellectual dishonesty...

I think she's also finally removed the Razing Ruth articles from her site, perhaps so that no one can now claim that they don't want to donate to her because of her past intellectual dishonesty...

i noticed that the other day, too, as since i've been fairly absent from the internet (aside from personal fb and insta...snark-wise and anything else-wise) since 2011/2012, i hadn't even heard of the whole razing ruth drama until last week (still haven't gotten through all the threads, but i'm still reading here and there when i can). i went on nlq last week to see if her stuff was still up, and the links are there but they just go to a 404 error. haha.

And, there's link to the fundraiser toward the end of the story. Sigh.

I never followed Vycki or NLQ. I know there is some issue with her eldest daughter, but I don't know the details. But, for me, NLQ keeping the Razing Ruth story up after she had been exposed is beyond the pale. No Vycki love from me (although I genuinely hope she can find a legitimate way to earn money long term, or qualify for aid, so she can care for her family.)

• 2 months later...

I didn't read her life story until the whole Razing Ruth saga. When I read the whole thing on No Longer Quivering I had a really hard time with her. It seemed, to me, like basically she was super high strung and super controlling. And was taking her whole family along for the ride into religious extremism. Including her husband. Then when she got sick of that lifestyle she dumped it all on him and started saying she was the victim. I don't know, she just has this martyr/ victim/ thug personality combination ( at least in her writing) that I find incredibly aggravating.

Now I need to go re-read in case I'm remembering it wrong.

Archived