IGNORED

Do You Think Jill & Derick Will Do Blanket Training?

LongDogMom

I think Jill will suggest the same kind of blanket training that Michelle has espoused in the past; the "entertain yourself with a toy on the blanket while other stuff gets done" variant, minus the plumbing line. But she has to do *some* version of it. For the brand.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still really don't think that any type of Blanket Training is considered part of the Duggar brand. They've never discussed it on the show, and while those of us who frequent places like FJ are uncomfortably aware of it and its role in the ATI/IBLP life (or even the Duggars own endorsement of it in the past), I don't think it's widely accepted as part of their lifestyle - on the part of the mainstream audience, anyway. It's certainly a part of the lifestyle and within those circles I think that they just kind of take it for granted as being something the Duggars use. But the mainstream audience of the show won't assume it because it's never addressed by the Duggars. As a result of that, I don't think that the kids who leave will feel a whole lot of external pressure to continue with it if they don't want to. I'm sure some of them WILL continue with it, but if any of them feel uncomfortable or unhappy about trying to use blanket training, I think it'd be pretty easy for them to just discard it completely without any open disapproval from the family or negative reaction from the public.

IDK- I would think with a new generation some of these behaviors would be thrown on the bone pile, but then I remember Anna speaking with Michael about "immediate obedience" and Jill telling Hannah, "no mam" when she wanted to wear slippers to meet Derick at the airport. I think I have heard Joy threaten kids too-

I hope those 2 know better than to strike a baby or small child, for not immediately acquiescing.

IDK- I would think with a new generation some of these behaviors would be thrown on the bone pile, but then I remember Anna speaking with Michael about "immediate obedience" and Jill telling Hannah, "no mam" when she wanted to wear slippers to meet Derick at the airport. I think I have heard Joy threaten kids too-

I hope those 2 know better than to strike a baby or small child, for not immediately acquiescing.

Anna has certainly mentioned the 'instant obedience' thing on the show, but when I saw her do it with Michael, it was like he was trying to decide if he'd heard it before. He reacted to it like he had heard the phrase, but not that it had been strictly enforced through physical means. In fact, I've seen the scene where she was saying 'instant obedience' to Mike 2 or 3 times, and each time I'm convinced that after she tries to get him to agree to it, that he then says 'no.' I think that Josh and Anna probably use spanking as a disciplinary method but it doesn't appear (just from what the show has given us, anyway) that they are using excessive corporal punishment to control their children. Of course, we only see what they show us. But their kids seem well-adjusted and sweet, so hopefully there's not weird discipline happening when the cameras aren't there.

I've heard Joy threaten the kids only with the 'do you want me to get Jana?' comments, not with any sort of 'do you want to get spanked' kind of thing. Joy doesn't get the same respect from the little kids because she has less experience being the ~adult~ in those situations. But I have a hard time imagining her actually spanking anyone.

My cousin used to set her baby up on a large blanket on the floor, with a baby gym and toys all around. One visitor asked with a smirk, "Oh, are you blanket training?" She had no idea what that was. And she would laugh when her baby maneuvered off the blanket.

Jessa has been physically aggressive while buddying on the show, but that is about as far as they have shown. Is the Pearl method part of buddy training? Did Jill learn, at 6 years old, to whip Joy-Anna just as she was taught to change her diaper?

"No Ma'am" is a southern thing. I didn't take that being anything more then, "No you are going to wear real shoes when we go out" not anything aggressive.

Judging from the salsa fountain wedding planning incident, where Derick was looked at like he grew a second head, I see something similar happen when he suggests parenting a different way than the Duggar-adopted methods. That boy bought into the Duggar life hook,line,and sinker. We must never ever forget who really runs the show in the TTH and in all subsequent branches of the TTH. Jill is a carbon copy of Boob and DQ and her family is the one with the gravy train and Derick will follow or he will suffer the consequences.

JB&M don't ever talk about blanket training the littlest ones. And those kids don't act like it either from what I've seen of the show.

Michelle still talks about whispering and making the kid look her in the eye but ne'er a peep about blanket training.

I googled Duggars and blanket training to see what came up and a few interesting things did. One was this one: http://www.chicagonow.com/running-with- ... ild-abuse/ - it mentions Michelle's views on blanket training and FreeJinger! Here's a quote from part of the article:

"Before they were on TLC, Michelle Duggar was part of an online group, where she advocated using rulers for blanket training. Someone on the FreeJinger forums spoke of her experience.

Years ago, must have been 8 or so, I belonged to a forum called CMOMB (Christian Moms Of Many Blessings). This was before the TLC show, but Michelle was already a well known figure amongst the QFers. She came and did a guest chat and one of the things she talked about was blanket training. She used flexible rulers and talked about luring the baby off of the blanket and then swatting them with the ruler when they took the bait . The purpose was so that mom could visit with friends, have a phone conversation or go visiting and baby would stay put and quiet . After that chat flexible rulers were the thing, but at that time they weren't at every office supply and warehouse store, so there were lots of posts like "I found them at XYZ for $1.25, how many do you want me to pick up?!" When the TLC specials started airing and the interest in just how exactly they blanket trained babies was heating up I went to try to find a copy of the chat. I found it, but everything about spanking/hitting kids was deleted, as was any reference to Michelle in the flexible ruler threads. They circled the wagons around Michelle pretty fast."

You know they say they are teaching their children self-control but it seems to me what they are doing is discouraging curiosity. I think it's cruel to deliberately bait a baby with a colourful toy and then smack the baby and tell them no when they try to move towards the toy to explore it and see what it is.

Maybe in addition to absolute obedience, they want to exstinguish curiosity in their kids. I guess that way the kids won't question what they are told. Jim Bob has already admitted on camera that he and Michelle will lie to the kids when it suits them (ie: regarding science and facts and evolution).

Derick seems to be so much more worldly and curious about things which makes me wonder about how their relationship will go. Just that picnic he put together with hummus and figs and goat cheese. Those are hardly the types of foods that a sheltered boy/man would think about preparing and taking (if the idea of preparing a picnic lunch would even occur to them). I think most would react badly to strange foods that aren't just regular meat and potatoes simply because they are different. That seems to be the basis for a lot of their beliefs, as well as a big part of the reason the Duggars shelter their kids so much = so they don't experience all those different things. Different foods might lead to different ideas and curiosity about different cultures and beliefs.

Before Jill got pregnant I thought that maybe with Derick she would experience some of the different things life had to offer, but her getting pregnant so quickly makes me think she will quickly revert to Duggarland because that is what she knows. Prior to that she might have been more open to new things. Now it's all about babies which is all wrapped up with the Duggar way of life and then them moving into that house and being close to the Duggar's homestead...

You know they say they are teaching their children self-control but it seems to me what they are doing is discouraging curiosity. I think it's cruel to deliberately bait a baby with a colourful toy and then smack the baby and tell them no when they try to move towards the toy to explore it and see what it is.

Maybe in addition to absolute obedience, they want to exstinguish curiosity in their kids. I guess that way the kids won't question what they are told. Jim Bob has already admitted on camera that he and Michelle will lie to the kids when it suits them (ie: regarding science and facts and evolution).

Derick seems to be so much more worldly and curious about things which makes me wonder about how their relationship will go. Just that picnic he put together with hummus and figs and goat cheese. Those are hardly the types of foods that a sheltered boy/man would think about preparing and taking (if the idea of preparing a picnic lunch would even occur to them). I think most would react badly to strange foods that aren't just regular meat and potatoes simply because they are different. That seems to be the basis for a lot of their beliefs, as well as a big part of the reason the Duggars shelter their kids so much = so they don't experience all those different things. Different foods might lead to different ideas and curiosity about different cultures and beliefs.

Before Jill got pregnant I thought that maybe with Derick she would experience some of the different things life had to offer, but her getting pregnant so quickly makes me think she will quickly revert to Duggarland because that is what she knows. Prior to that she might have been more open to new things. Now it's all about babies which is all wrapped up with the Duggar way of life and then them moving into that house and being close to the Duggar's homestead...

By killing a child's curiosity they are also killing neural paths in the brain. There have been tons of studies on this and if you google curiosity and neural paths you can read them. Fair warning though, they are pretty dry but I know some people enjoy that kind of thing. Here's a summary of one of the studies: Intelligent animals devote much time and energy to exploring and obtaining information, but the underlying mechanisms are poorly understood. We review recent developments on this topic that have emerged from the traditionally separate fields of machine learning, eye movements in natural behavior, and studies of curiosity in psychology and neuroscience. These studies show that exploration may be guided by a family of mechanisms that range from automatic biases toward novelty or surprise to systematic searches for learning progress and information gain in curiosity-driven behavior. In addition, eye movements reflect visual information searching in multiple conditions and are amenable for cellular-level investigations. This suggests that the oculomotor system is an excellent model system for understanding information-sampling mechanisms.

I googled Duggars and blanket training to see what came up and a few interesting things did. One was this one: http://www.chicagonow.com/running-with- ... ild-abuse/ - it mentions Michelle's views on blanket training and FreeJinger! Here's a quote from part of the article:

"Before they were on TLC, Michelle Duggar was part of an online group, where she advocated using rulers for blanket training. Someone on the FreeJinger forums spoke of her experience.

Years ago, must have been 8 or so, I belonged to a forum called CMOMB (Christian Moms Of Many Blessings). This was before the TLC show, but Michelle was already a well known figure amongst the QFers. She came and did a guest chat and one of the things she talked about was blanket training. She used flexible rulers and talked about luring the baby off of the blanket and then swatting them with the ruler when they took the bait . The purpose was so that mom could visit with friends, have a phone conversation or go visiting and baby would stay put and quiet . After that chat flexible rulers were the thing, but at that time they weren't at every office supply and warehouse store, so there were lots of posts like "I found them at XYZ for $1.25, how many do you want me to pick up?!" When the TLC specials started airing and the interest in just how exactly they blanket trained babies was heating up I went to try to find a copy of the chat. I found it, but everything about spanking/hitting kids was deleted, as was any reference to Michelle in the flexible ruler threads. They circled the wagons around Michelle pretty fast."

I think blanket training is just a way for parents not to care for their kids. If you're visiting with friends why would you take a baby with you unless you plan on feeding and keeping your child entertained

By killing a child's curiosity they are also killing neural paths in the brain. There have been tons of studies on this and if you google curiosity and neural paths you can read them. Fair warning though, they are pretty dry but I know some people

enjoy that kind of thing. Here's a summary of one of the studies: Intelligent animals devote much time and energy to exploring and obtaining information, but the underlying mechanisms are poorly understood. We review recent developments on this topic that have emerged from the traditionally separate fields of machine learning, eye movements in natural behavior, and studies of curiosity in psychology and neuroscience. These studies show that exploration may be guided by a family of mechanisms that range from automatic biases toward novelty or surprise to systematic searches for learning progress and information gain in curiosity-driven behavior. In addition, eye movements reflect visual information searching in multiple conditions and are amenable for cellular-level investigations. This suggests that the oculomotor system is an excellent model system for understanding information-sampling mechanisms.

I also think it discourages trust and dependency.

Although I would expect that Jill will spank her children I don't think she'll blanket train. The Duggars seem to have lightened up on Jackson and the Lost Girls compared to the older Howlers. And we haven't heard blanket training even mentioned despite Jackson and Hannie both being very spirited children. I think on a lot of things Jill and Derrick won't have a choice if they don't want to anger Jim Bob and become homeless. I would bet if Jill started wearing pants or after the baby was born they put it in daycare so Jill could return to midwifery then Jim Bob would blow a gasket because that would be destroying their brand. And if Jill said she was going to take birth control pills to space out their children then they would be out on the streets immeditally. But I think blanket training will be their choice and I would assume they won't choose it. I think Jill will be a lot more similar to Anna as a mother then Michelle. Now she may adapt some of Michelle's methods (buddy system, blanket training and jurisdictions) if she has children as quickly as her mother but at least at first I expect she'll be similar to Anna and seem to genuinely appreciate her children as individuals while also really working with her oldest on homeschooling before the child actually reaches school age.

That said I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear that Ben and Jessa blanket trained. Jessa seems to have very little patience and while I hope it's different with her own kids neither seems very nurturing.

Although I would expect that Jill will spank her children I don't think she'll blanket train. The Duggars seem to have lightened up on Jackson and the Lost Girls compared to the older Howlers. And we haven't heard blanket training even mentioned despite Jackson and Hannie both being very spirited children. I think on a lot of things Jill and Derrick won't have a choice if they don't want to anger Jim Bob and become homeless. I would bet if Jill started wearing pants or after the baby was born they put it in daycare so Jill could return to midwifery then Jim Bob would blow a gasket because that would be destroying their brand. And if Jill said she was going to take birth control pills to space out their children then they would be out on the streets immeditally. But I think blanket training will be their choice and I would assume they won't choose it. I think Jill will be a lot more similar to Anna as a mother then Michelle. Now she may adapt some of Michelle's methods (buddy system, blanket training and jurisdictions) if she has children as quickly as her mother but at least at first I expect she'll be similar to Anna and seem to genuinely appreciate her children as individuals while also really working with her oldest on homeschooling before the child actually reaches school age.

That said I wouldn't be surprised at all to hear that Ben and Jessa blanket trained. Jessa seems to have very little patience and while I hope it's different with her own kids neither seems very nurturing.

I don't know how to double quote, sorry. But you are right Toothfairy it also builds dependency instead of independence. Most people want to raise independent children.

The one bright spot for Jill and Derick is they won't be homeless for long. I'm sure Derick can afford a home. It might not be what they have now but I'm sure he could get them a nice two bedroom home move in ready or a larger home that needed some work. I'm also pretty sure Cathy would take them in while they got back on their feet.

Ben & Jessa are screwed if they don't do just what JB wants. Or maybe JB is screwed.... Ben's family appears to love him and his siblings. They too would probably take the kids in but since Ben's sister has a job I'm guessing they'd make Jessa find a job as well. That certainly be a blemish on JB's brand. Coupled with the fact that neither have a lot of work skills it would be a rough road for them until someone told Jessa she could write a tell all.

I think blanket training is cruel. Completely and utterly appalling. It just seems wrong to deliberately tempt someone to "sin" and then punish them, except it's not a sin to reach for a toy.

If that is true about curiosity and neural paths in the brain, that could explain a lot of why these fundie kids are so compliant and don't show any burning desire to leave the nest and explore the world.

What is IBLP-sleep training?

I want to know too. It must be something like the Ezzo scheduled feeding thing.

I think blanket training of any kind is horrible.

I don't know how to double quote, sorry. But you are right Toothfairy it also builds dependency instead of independence. Most people want to raise independent children.

The one bright spot for Jill and Derick is they won't be homeless for long. I'm sure Derick can afford a home. It might not be what they have now but I'm sure he could get them a nice two bedroom home move in ready or a larger home that needed some work. I'm also pretty sure Cathy would take them in while they got back on their feet.

Ben & Jessa are screwed if they don't do just what JB wants. Or maybe JB is screwed.... Ben's family appears to love him and his siblings. They too would probably take the kids in but since Ben's sister has a job I'm guessing they'd make Jessa find a job as well. That certainly be a blemish on JB's brand. Coupled with the fact that neither have a lot of work skills it would be a rough road for them until someone told Jessa she could write a tell all.

I agree that Derrick would be able to afford somewhere new to live. However while Jim Bob is providing a house they are kind of under his thumb. Even if they can afford their own place that would still mean possibly having to find a place quickly and move probably with multiple small children.

I hope that Derricks mom Cathy has some influence over Derrick to raise up his children with love not violence of the blanket training Duggars.

From Jill saying Derick wanted Dr. Pepper to stay awake during those long nights with a newborn, I see Derick being involved with the first(and maybe 2-3) babies. I think he is excited to have a baby around. He has no younger siblings or nieces and nephews. Everything including crawling , toddling and the curiosity a baby and toddler have will be exciting for Derick and not meant to be stopped.

Bin and Jessa, I see that blanket coming out. I think Bin and Jessa will be maybe even more over the top then Michelle.

Re: the bolded, I totally agree. I think Jessa has that same hysteric sparkle and desire for attention as Michelle. Add in a very keen instinct for self-preservation (part need for attention, part avoiding the wrath of her wackjob parents), and you get an undereducated, uncurious young woman who will half-heartedly do whatever to fulfill expectations and receive attention. Jessa'll have a farm of kids, beat them into submission, then have them raise one another. To be completely frank, I see her cracking, Michelle-style, when she's home alone with 4-5 hollering toddlers while trying not to burn the headship's dinner AND get in another load of laundry (I would too, but the thing is: I'm not going to embark on that lifestyle, nor have I deluded myself into believing I can handle it).

Re: the bolded, I totally agree. I think Jessa has that same hysteric sparkle and desire for attention as Michelle. Add in a very keen instinct for self-preservation (part need for attention, part avoiding the wrath of her wackjob parents), and you get an undereducated, uncurious young woman who will half-heartedly do whatever to fulfill expectations and receive attention. Jessa'll have a farm of kids, beat them into submission, then have them raise one another. To be completely frank, I see her cracking, Michelle-style, when she's home alone with 4-5 hollering toddlers while trying not to burn the headship's dinner AND get in another load of laundry (I would too, but the thing is: I'm not going to embark on that lifestyle, nor have I deluded myself into believing I can handle it).

Jessa and Bin being parents is worrying. They are attached to Dim Bulb by a leash and have no prospects. I don't believe Jessa will want to go back to poverty after the TLC invasion; however it wont be cheap with lots of kids.

On the other hand, Jessa may be infertile - we do not know. She may only be ever able to adopt a few kids...ANYTHING is possible...

My two cents here...but Derick seems the most rational and reasonable of all the Duggars (and beyond). I truly just can't see him allowing his children to be hit/mistreated/abused.

For what it's worth...I just went back and reread the section of the Dugg's first book (20 and Counting) that mentions blanket-training and Michelle wasn't introduced to it until Jer & Jed were 17 months old.

I still really don't think that any type of Blanket Training is considered part of the Duggar brand. They've never discussed it on the show, and while those of us who frequent places like FJ are uncomfortably aware of it and its role in the ATI/IBLP life (or even the Duggars own endorsement of it in the past), I don't think it's widely accepted as part of their lifestyle - on the part of the mainstream audience, anyway. It's certainly a part of the lifestyle and within those circles I think that they just kind of take it for granted as being something the Duggars use. But the mainstream audience of the show won't assume it because it's never addressed by the Duggars. As a result of that, I don't think that the kids who leave will feel a whole lot of external pressure to continue with it if they don't want to. I'm sure some of them WILL continue with it, but if any of them feel uncomfortable or unhappy about trying to use blanket training, I think it'd be pretty easy for them to just discard it completely without any open disapproval from the family or negative reaction from the public.

Yup, the Duggars definitely blanket train. Michelle talks about it in their first book. Of course, any mention of violence is not included.

Archived