IGNORED

Lets announce your virginity to the whole school.

doggie

I say if teens can be open about their sexual preference in the schools, they can also be open about their belief in sexual purity (virginity). All for one and one for all.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I say if teens can be open about their sexual preference in the schools, they can also be open about their belief in sexual purity (virginity). All for one and one for all.

I highly doubt there are kids coming to school with shirts saying I had sex last night or I've had Blank amount of partners. I don't think many people object to her saying she's a virgin it's the fact that she and her parents felt it was appropriate to wear a shirt that talked about it to school.

That tee-shirt made me think of this quote by that Duck Dynasty guy:

“It seems like, to me, a vagina -- as a man -- would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical."

And that long big of crudity was then defended as a statement of "faith". I mean where in the Bible does it even say "vagina"? What's so religious about saying where you like to stick it?

Sorry, I digress. But it struck me as the same kind of thing. "We're going to talk about sex now, and we're sex going to sex be judgmental sex, and if you sex don't like it, we're sex going to say we're being sex persecuted for our religion sex."

:shifty-kitty:

Exposing the kid like this for the sake of the parents' beliefs is not very cool. The capitalizing of "Husband" and "Him" just seems like the natural next step for the husband-worshipping brand of fundy.

Heaven forbid she be sexually assaulted.

Can you imagine how painful it would be to see that if you were in her class and had been sexually abused? That is something that's always bugged me about the purity movement--no room for anyone who has been wounded. It's either you're pure or your not.

Can you imagine how painful it would be to see that if you were in her class and had been sexually abused? That is something that's always bugged me about the purity movement--no room for anyone who has been wounded. It's either you're pure or your not.

Well there is always revirginizing your self by praying to god about your sins :roll:

I completely agree. Why is it OK to be open about one's sexuality/preferences in one case but not another? It's OK for kids to be open about being gay in school (and I'm thankful our society is increasingly tolerant) but why isn't it OK to say that one is against pre-marital sex? Being openly gay may make some people uncomfortable, just as this shirt makes other uncomfortable. I'm not getting the double standard unless the school forbids any clothing/items with any references to sexuality.

ETA - I'm not saying the shirt isn't obnoxious and offensive and that it's wrong to be gay. Just pointing out that there seems to be a bit of hypocrisy at work.

Well there is always revirginizing your self by praying to god about your sins :roll:

LOL - a friend's husband was a born-again virgin after becoming Catholic yet still sits in judgment of others who have pre-marital sex. WTF

LOL - a friend's husband was a born-again virgin after becoming Catholic yet still sits in judgment of others who have pre-marital sex. WTF

A woman I went to high school with went back to the Catholic church after having kids and became preachy and uber-conservative. She regularly posts rants about society not supporting abstinence and links about how to teach chastity to children on Facebook.

She and her husband lived together for eight years before getting married. I am constantly suppressing the urge to just post "WTF???" on her FB rants.

I don't think it's hypocritical, as I doubt the school would have permitted a tee-shirt that said "I have sex." Or "I have gay sex." That would also have been considered a distraction, I'm sure.

Nor would I have thought it particularly tasteful if Mr. Duck Whatever Dynasty has said that he preferred a man's anus to a woman's vagina. That would also have been TMI IMHO.

A great many schools simply forbid all shirts with words displayed front or back. It's simpler that way.

When Elizabeth Smart was rescued, she was on an age to be this girl's classmate. You know is didn't cross that girls' or her parents' minds that there are kids and teens in EVERY school who have lived through assault and rape, and who aren't virgins through no choosing of their own.

I completely agree. Why is it OK to be open about one's sexuality/preferences in one case but not another? It's OK for kids to be open about being gay in school (and I'm thankful our society is increasingly tolerant) but why isn't it OK to say that one is against pre-marital sex? Being openly gay may make some people uncomfortable, just as this shirt makes other uncomfortable. I'm not getting the double standard unless the school forbids any clothing/items with any references to sexuality.

ETA - I'm not saying the shirt isn't obnoxious and offensive and that it's wrong to be gay. Just pointing out that there seems to be a bit of hypocrisy at work.

It's not hypocrisy. Sexuality isn't a choice. Aside from rape, having sex or not IS a choice. If I was a teen and wore a "Christianity is wrong" shirt to school, or one that said, "Teen sex rocks!" you can bet I'd have to take it off. Rainbow shirts for support of gay teens is about accepting WHO THEY ARE THAT CAN'T BE CHOSEN, really no different than wearing something supporting racial inclusion. So you really can't appropriately compare these things.

It doesn't make me uncomfortable but wearing a shirt saying look me I'm a virgin or look at me I'm gay especially in middle school opens up a ton of doors a person might not be ready for. My parents always told me to keep my virgin status to myself and not flaut it because there are some people who might take advantage of the situation. I think being gay is becoming the norm something you can't control and shouldn't be afraid to hide your true self.

It's not hypocrisy. Sexuality isn't a choice. Aside from rape, having sex or not IS a choice. If I was a teen and wore a "Christianity is wrong" shirt to school, or one that said, "Teen sex rocks!" you can bet I'd have to take it off. Rainbow shirts for support of gay teens is about accepting WHO THEY ARE THAT CAN'T BE CHOSEN, really no different than wearing something supporting racial inclusion. So you really can't appropriately compare these things.

Yep. Aside from that, sexual preference...well, first off it isn't a preference. It is also more than sexual, it is emotional, romantic, etc and straight teens are very much allowed to have that in school. Hand holding, even quick kisses (no making out though!) were allowed at my high school. But that isn't entirely sexual (no mater what courtship rules say). Couples of all combos were afforded this but a shirt directly referencing sex? No way.

Virginity is directly referencing sex. In my experience, teachers do shut down explicit conversations about personal sex lives and material that would talk about it on a personal level.

It is one thing to talk about WHO you are -- that is a state of being -- gay, or straight, or bisexual and it has a romantic/emotional/dating dimension. Once we start talking about virginity, we're talking about DOING and that is personal information. It isn't the kind of thing you can ask in a work setting, it doesn't belong in school, and it is very possibly hurtful to other students (because there is a lot of shame involved in being sexually active at these ages as well as shame for not being so). The shirt also isn't a symbol of religion, it is directly confrontational. And the company designed it to be such. My bi-pride bracelet, though, has no such wording, doesn't tell you anything about my private sex life, and isn't made by a company that attacks people's beliefs or lack there of. A cross necklace is also acceptable in schools, but again, isn't confrontational or hurtful, etc.

Is it also hypocritical that they allow straight students to be open about being straight? If they are allowing teens to walk around with shirts saying "I'm having gay sex." or "I'm gay but not having gay sex" but disallowing this one, it would be hypocritical. But just allowing gay students to exist while not allowing a student to wear a shirt that broadcasts the status of her sex life isn't being hypocritical.

I specifically stated that I'm very happy that students feel comfortable enough in schools to be openly gay and not ashamed of it. I do not believe that being gay is a choice while not having sex (unless it's rape), is a choice. I understand that people are upset with my comment because I'm comparing inherent sexuality (not a choice) with a lifestyle choice (deciding to remain a virgin). I understand that you think I'm comparing apples to oranges, BUT where I see the hypocrisy is in allowing some students to wear shirts that might offend someone, but not allowing other students to wear shirts that might offend someone, regardless of topic.

I guess I'm having trouble articulating what my thoughts are on this. But perhaps I'm not the best person to discuss things like this with. I was working at my job with a new office mate for over 2 months before I realized he was wearing a gay pride baseball cap so I guess all in all, unless something hits me right in the face, I'm pretty oblivious to things.

I'm suddenly having a flashback of all those "coed naked" shirts of the '80s.

:shock:

Hey, I've got two of those shirts in my basement!

Gross. Inappropriate. Not at all loving, I thought that was supposed to be the focus?

It certainly wouldn't feel like love or compassion to a pregnant teen, or to a girl who was raped. FFS don't these people think anything through?

I'm ashamed to say that my own good friend was involved in a "virgin" tshirt club in high school. It was the year after I graduated, I discovered she and a few others were wearing shirts that just said "V" on the front. It was definitely a passive-aggressive attack on a girl who she felt "stole" her boyfriend, who she chose not to sleep with. I believe it became an issue when it was brought to the attention of the administration, but the damage was already done. Thankfully she learned a lot from that choice.

I think girls who are encouraged to wear these shirts don't understand how they might feel about the complex topic in a few short years. My friend made the choice on her own, but it is sickening that a parent would encourage this attire for a middle schooler.

I specifically stated that I'm very happy that students feel comfortable enough in schools to be openly gay and not ashamed of it. I do not believe that being gay is a choice while not having sex (unless it's rape), is a choice. I understand that people are upset with my comment because I'm comparing inherent sexuality (not a choice) with a lifestyle choice (deciding to remain a virgin). I understand that you think I'm comparing apples to oranges, [b]BUT where I see the hypocrisy is in allowing some students to wear shirts that might offend someone, but not allowing other students to wear shirts that might offend someone, regardless of topic.

I guess I'm having trouble articulating what my thoughts are on this. But perhaps I'm not the best person to discuss things like this with. I was working at my job with a new office mate for over 2 months before I realized he was wearing a gay pride baseball cap so I guess all in all, unless something hits me right in the face, I'm pretty oblivious to things.

Is the school allowing shirts that discuss gay sex?

Is the school not allowing shirts that discuss gay sex?

Disallow it all, and be clear about it, or let it all be considered "free speech." But be clear about it, and be consistent.

Is the school allowing shirts that discuss gay sex?

Again, my point is NOT about expressing support for gay rights, or stating that you are gay, or stating that you are Christian. But if one group can express an opinion (i.e., I support gay rights) then why can't another group express their own opinion (i.e., I support "saving" myself for marriage). On a personal level, I think the virginity shirt is offensive for reasons many posters noted.

But for me, it's about freedom of speech. The issue of whether heterosexual and/or homosexual sex should be discussed in schools is a different matter. I went to Catholic school in the late 80s/early 90s and sex ed was non-existent, except for passing out brochures with drawings of the female anatomy to females, and drawings of the male anatomy to males. I don't know what level of sex ed is taught in schools today, public or private - do they explicitly discuss how to have sex? Do they address topics of masturbation? I do think the issue of gay sex should be addressed and regardless of sexuality, the emphasis should be on safe sex. And I think open discussions about transgender and asexuality should also be addressed.

Someone else here brought up gay students holding hands, kissing, etc. Perhaps it's because I was raised with non-demonstrative parents and am not a touchy-feely person, but PDAs make me uncomfortable, regardless of the gender(s) involved.

ETA - If it's OK for a student to wear a student to wear a shirt declaring that they are gay and proud of it, shouldn't it also be OK for another student to wear a shirt saying they are heterosexual and proud of it? After all, neither student is choosing their sexuality.

Again, my point is NOT about expressing support for gay rights, or stating that you are gay, or stating that you are Christian. But if one group can express an opinion (i.e., I support gay rights) then why can't another group express their own opinion (i.e., I support "saving" myself for marriage). On a personal level, I think the virginity shirt is offensive for reasons many posters noted.

But for me, it's about freedom of speech. The issue of whether heterosexual and/or homosexual sex should be discussed in schools is a different matter. I went to Catholic school in the late 80s/early 90s and sex ed was non-existent, except for passing out brochures with drawings of the female anatomy to females, and drawings of the male anatomy to males. I don't know what level of sex ed is taught in schools today, public or private - do they explicitly discuss how to have sex? Do they address topics of masturbation? I do think the issue of gay sex should be addressed and regardless of sexuality, the emphasis should be on safe sex. And I think open discussions about transgender and asexuality should also be addressed.

Someone else here brought up gay students holding hands, kissing, etc. Perhaps it's because I was raised with non-demonstrative parents and am not a touchy-feely person, but PDAs make me uncomfortable, regardless of the gender(s) involved.

ETA - If it's OK for a student to wear a student to wear a shirt declaring that they are gay and proud of it, shouldn't it also be OK for another student to wear a shirt saying they are heterosexual and proud of it? After all, neither student is choosing their sexuality.

When I went to Middle/HS we were Abstinence only the school was not allowed to teach safe sex or really any sex. you were given a lecture on all the bad STD's and told not to have sex. (This of course did not work most of the time) As far as I know this is still what is being taught.

As for the shirts. I think a kid might be able to wear a rainbow shirt to school but I think if he/She came to school with a shirt saying I'm gay and proud I'm pretty sure they would be asked to take it off. Schools are getting even stricter in their dress codes as the years go on.

Interestingly, when I was in high school, this was a hotly contested issue. Several students that were homosexual wore shirts that expressed their pride in being gay and logos from organizations that represented the gay community. A group of students took umbrage that they were allowed to wear shirts that they felt expressed their sexuality, so they got together and made shirts that said 'I'm straight.' The administration did not take kindly to that whatsoever, and they were forced to wear the tops to their P.E. uniforms for the rest of the day. As I recall it, the administration ruled that the 'I'm straight' shirts were an attempt at bullying and intimidation. The gay students were allowed to keep wearing their shirts, and to their credit many of us students (some of whom happened to be straight) started wearing these shirts as well as a show of solidarity.

I saw this exact shirt years ago when a girl at my high school wore it regularly, except hers was neon pink. I thought it was incredibly obnoxious and looking back, I still do. She also had a neon yellow one that read JESUS LOVES PORN STARS.

Archived