IGNORED

"Lady" Lydia's designer "line" of clothing - MERGE

Anny Nym

My grandmother used to manage a funeral home. That thing reminds me of some of the caskets she had for sale in the coffin room, the ones that were sometimes lined with ruffles in the customer's choice of colors.

You take a mahogany casket + pink ruffles + someone being buried in their wedding dress + flowers on top of the casket after it's closed, and the visual you get is that monstrosity above. :?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like Lady Lydia's soulmate Penny has been decorating for Christmas, with pink, a lot of pink.

She shows comparison photos with her displays from previous years, which made me realize she is managing to keep the dust at bay by changing the displays all the time. I am very impressed at her industry, if not with her aesthetic.

I think I'm going to go re-do our master bedroom in Monastic-Spartan...

Today's post, it seems, is directed to me:

"Today's paintings are dedicated to the dear ladies who began their home life in the smallest of circumstances and made the best of it. This is to all you who started out in a something less than your ideal, or who have been in reduced circumstances. You ladies are so appreciated for making the best of things"

Of course, I "made the best of things" by finishing residency and fellowship and working full time while married with 3 children who attend ebil school- perhaps not what she was meaning in her post. I do have a nice house. I have yet to cover my dining room table with a bedspread, though.

My grandmother used to manage a funeral home. That thing reminds me of some of the caskets she had for sale in the coffin room, the ones that were sometimes lined with ruffles in the customer's choice of colors.

You take a mahogany casket + pink ruffles + someone being buried in their wedding dress + flowers on top of the casket after it's closed, and the visual you get is that monstrosity above. :?

That was exactly what I was thinking. It looks like a queen sized coffin. With a shroud. I am trying to figure that thing out. My other thought was an explosion at the ruffle factory.

Lori commented on Lydia's blog today. Apparently this picture hangs over Lori's bed and has for years.

897.jpg

So, there you go.

I am going to say that the ruffled tee that Lydia made is better than most of the things she does and looks decent under the jacket

blogger-image--65058314.jpg

That said, she hosted an "autumn lunch" for adults and said "I still protect my table linens from tea stains, with a bright clear plastic from the fabric store."blogger-image-1815709338.jpg

I understand no wanting to ruin your nice things, but-- I also understand that I can almost always find discounted tablecloths and she sews-- and tablecloths are easy to sew.... so it seems that if you are saving something for "good" -- when you have people over for tea/lunch that counts as "good".

homeliving.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2014-11-22T06:47:00-08:00&max-results=20 the pictures of the tea/lunch are below the hat used as a tea-cozy and the how to glue a plate to a candle stick post.

Lori commented on Lydia's blog today. Apparently this picture hangs over Lori's bed and has for years.

897.jpg

So, there you go.

That picture makes me twitchy.

That picture makes me twitchy.

Perhaps because the perspective is off? In this case literally, although with both Lori and Lydia one could argue it's pretty off metaphorically too.

That said, she hosted an "autumn lunch" for adults and said "I still protect my table linens from tea stains, with a bright clear plastic from the fabric store."blogger-image-1815709338.jpg

I understand no wanting to ruin your nice things, but-- I also understand that I can almost always find discounted tablecloths and she sews-- and tablecloths are easy to sew.... so it seems that if you are saving something for "good" -- when you have people over for tea/lunch that counts as "good".

This picture is sad. :?

Everything, from the plastic covering to that bunch of sluggish eggs and just-thrown-on the-tray pre-sliced cheese and the artificial tea light candle, is just sad.

What are the guests supposed to do with the slices of cheese? Inquiring minds want to know.

Lori and Lydia's picture make me claustrophobic but my style is more open minimalist Scandinavian (with a bit of early widespread Lego)

This picture is sad. :?

Everything, from the plastic covering to that bunch of sluggish eggs and just-thrown-on the-tray pre-sliced cheese and the artificial tea light candle, is just sad.

I agree. For one thing, how many people are coming to her lunch/tea? She said some were skyping in from around the world, so it makes me wonder how many she expected with 4 tartlets and 4-6 deviled egg halves, etc?

I will acknowledge my unnatural love for my battery powered pillar candles that automatically come on and go off every evening in the winter on the mantle in my living room. Their fake wicks are hidden, and I can't get myself to use any in areas that the wicks would be seen... so I"m with you on the artificial tea light in clear display, even though it makes me a hypocrit... :shifty-kitty:

What are the guests supposed to do with the slices of cheese? Inquiring minds want to know.

Lori and Lydia's picture make me claustrophobic but my style is more open minimalist Scandinavian (with a bit of early widespread Lego)

I must tell you I first read that as "a bit of widespread leg"

and I thought "good for you" :dance:

I agree. For one thing, how many people are coming to her lunch/tea? She said some were skyping in from around the world, so it makes me wonder how many she expected with 4 tartlets and 4-6 deviled egg halves, etc?

Yes, I was wondering about that too, when reading about her supposed "Ladies lunch".

On another photo, there is a stack of tea dishes on the tabe, and she makes it sound like there was a rather big crowd visiting her... so, uhm, why is Lydia, the self-proclaimed sophisticated master home maker only whipping out that sad little tray here most college freshmen would be slightly ashamed of to present to guests?

I mean, judging by her usual speeches, I would expect quite a presentation of vegetable carving and symetric cheese layering, something along the lines of that:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRki9d84szA4e29NNkqwnJHIklVqqPpKCl0okyBTdTH2k3JkByl

Was there REALLY a party? Or did it happen in her head?

I will acknowledge my unnatural love for my battery powered pillar candles that automatically come on and go off every evening in the winter on the mantle in my living room. Their fake wicks are hidden, and I can't get myself to use any in areas that the wicks would be seen... so I"m with you on the artificial tea light in clear display, even though it makes me a hypocrit... :shifty-kitty:

:lol: I have to confess something too: I´m a ultimate flames - lover. It doesn´t matter if it´s open fire, the flames in the fireplace or a candle´s flame. Watching a burning fire or open flames always soothes me and makes me feel cozy*. Around Christmas time I go through approx. a IKEA bag of tea lights and various different sized candles a week, for our outdoor decoration. Shopping for the tree candles takes me a whole day until I found THE perfect ones...

So, you see I generally have a rather subjective and non-rational explainable difficult relationship with artifical candles. :mrgreen:

Anyway, it´s a tealight on a table for grown-ups, she shouldtake the real stuff ^^

*Should I maybe be worried about that, btw? :think: :lol:

:lol: I have to confess something too: I´m a ultimate flames - lover. It doesn´t matter if it´s open fire, the flames in the fireplace or a candle´s flame. Watching a burning fire or open flames always soothes me and makes me feel cozy*. Around Christmas time I go through approx. a IKEA bag of tea lights and various different sized candles a week, for our outdoor decoration. Shopping for the tree candles takes me a whole day until I found THE perfect ones...

So, you see I generally have a rather subjective and non-rational explainable difficult relationship with artifical candles. :mrgreen:

Anyway, it´s a tealight on a table for grown-ups, she shouldtake the real stuff ^^

*Should I maybe be worried about that, btw? :think: :lol:

No, I understand. I thought electric candles were tacky until I got mine so they are, as lori would say "an exception". :D Mostly, I get a nice flicker in my dark living room on a mantle that is higher than my head, in a group of clear glass containers that I don't have to clean wax or soot from or carefully light and snuff. I am getting lazy in my old age.

I can only snark on Lydia halfheartedly, since I wonder about her. Perhaps she is not safe around real candles any longer?

I can only snark on Lydia halfheartedly, since I wonder about her. Perhaps she is not safe around real candles any longer?

That's how I feel about her, too. I think she's not all there, maybe living in a fantasy world. If that's the case, the blog is probably good for her to feel sociable and important. She's gone from being snarkable in my head to just making me feel sad.

Slices of individually packaged Processed American Cheese Food MAKES a tea table, dontcha know.

:drool:

Lady Lydia is really, really proud of her dollar tree ornaments. Super proud that there are multiple ones in a pack for a dollar.

The tea that she has sat out just in case someone drops by makes me feel sad for her. I would not be surprised if her visitors are few and fair between and the ones that come do so because they pity her. Can you imagine going to her house and sitting around sipping her tea and eating sliced cheese all while she drones on like she is a wealthy Victorian lady?

I think Lady Lydia lost it years ago back when she was decorating old tree stumps as tables and having tea on them like a child would do.

Okay, our Lady of the Pink has a post up talking about being a guest or staying in a hotel and bringing your own furniture or something else that does not make sense.

She references a childhood in a log cabin in Alaska. Isn't she from Australia? Any Lydia historians out there who can help me out here? Is this the same Alaska that hosts L. Ron Cupboard?

homeliving.blogspot.com/

She wrote a whole book about her life in Alaska should you care to read it.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/lydia-sherman/ ... 03160.html

She also lived in Australia:

I lived in the following places in Tasy: Glenorchy, Hobart, Launceston, Smithton, Burnie, Davenport, Cowrie Point, Beauty Point, Triabunna. Our family was part of the Australian govt immigration plan which was promoted in the 1960's by National Geographic. The reason we lived so many places was for several reasons. My father had a business that took him to all those areas for jobs, and when the contract was up, he moved on to the next job

homeliving.blogspot.com/2012/06/my-love-to-australian-visitors.html

I can't help but wonder if the reason no one would come to Lydia's house to be entertained was not because they were busy, but because her version of entertainment has always been odd. I'm sure one evening trapped in her pink house eating sliced cheese while she is dressed in some crazy outfit would be enough for anyone. After that probably people became "busy".

She wrote a whole book about her life in Alaska should you care to read it.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/lydia-sherman/ ... 03160.html

She also lived in Australia:

I lived in the following places in Tasy: Glenorchy, Hobart, Launceston, Smithton, Burnie, Davenport, Cowrie Point, Beauty Point, Triabunna. Our family was part of the Australian govt immigration plan which was promoted in the 1960's by National Geographic. The reason we lived so many places was for several reasons. My father had a business that took him to all those areas for jobs, and when the contract was up, he moved on to the next job

homeliving.blogspot.com/2012/06/my-love-to-australian-visitors.html

I can't help but wonder if the reason no one would come to Lydia's house to be entertained was not because they were busy, but because her version of entertainment has always been odd. I'm sure one evening trapped in her pink house eating sliced cheese while she is dressed in some crazy outfit would be enough for anyone. After that probably people became "busy".

Served on dollar store doillies with tea, no less!

Yes, I missed this part of Lydia's history. It actually makes more sense now that she is in the US. Thank you, Historian de Lydia! :worship:

Damn the LL bio costs $42!!! She could get a lot of doilies just selling one book!

Love who reviewed the book...Rebekah Eleventy!!1! and Jenny Chaucey

Of course it takes Lady Lydia to bring together Rebecca Eleventy!!! and Imperialist Chauncey. Her elegant ladyhood certainly crosses all borders, doesn't it.

That isn't Rebecca K!! Her surname is Kellum, not Hartmann.

Thanks for clearing that up. Well, there is at least Jenny of Africa.

Archived