IGNORED

Insensitive Robin Williams Comments

DomWackTroll

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have seen and heard some rather disgusting things today about Robin Williams and his death. I think it is so bizarre that the fundie people I know are saying things like, "This is what happens when people ignore Jesus. If only people cared about Jesus like they did Robin." How fucking self-centered does one have to be that they have to bring the focus back on them and their belief system during a strategy like this? I just do not understand how people that claim to be one thing always have such a difficult time showing compassion in a time like this. 

I, too, have dealt for decades with anxiety and depression. If I were to have followed through with what some people told me when I attended church, I would be dead. When I did open up with my struggle and reach out, I was told that it was because I was seeking attention and not close to God. Yep, and that opinion was also repeated by a Christian counselor I had a few sessions with. It bothers me so much when I see people telling others that have depression to just cry out to God and all will be good. I did and yet nothing changed. I was left feeling worse because I felt I was not worthy of being healed. Praying to God is good and all in conjunction with seeking out care if that is your thing, but it cannot be the only thing offered. Seeking help elsewhere should not be looked down upon or shamed. Shaming seems to be a common theme with fundies. People need to understand this line of thinking is destructive and deadly.

We need to remove the stigma associated with this illness and that needs to come from religious leaders as well. The leaders need to stop telling people that have mental illness they are bad, Godless or possessed with demons. It is wrong.

I am trying so hard to give at least Shep Smith and non fun dies the benefit of the doubt. Frame of reference: my uncle who pretty much an older brother to me committed suicide a few years ago. I've noticed from conversations of suicide survivors that the selfish argument often comes into play. I was shocked as several of my family members had and still have a lot of anger towards him for this. What suicide does to a family...is not for the feint of heart. Pain, drama, litigation, and people who you love dearly that you ( or at least I...and several unrelated friends of mine who have also lost family to suicide) will never be able to ever have a relationship with again. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

My gut reaction to non fundies who have this response is more of a 'do you know' type reaction. I wonder if they've been there. I believe in my heart that had my uncle known what this would do to our family, he never would've done it. So, unlike some of my family members, my reaction was sheer pain. Pain that he was so depressed that he couldn't see the fog to know the consequences. Pain that he couldn't understand that any of us would've moved heaven and earth to help him. Pain that he maybe didn't feel what an integral part of our family he was, and how much all of us deeply loved him. Pain that it's been a few years and I still look for him at holidays, crave getting an email that will never come, pain that there is this much hurt on my part...and I am only one person in a large family. I know that if he was in the right place in his mind, he would've NEVER put even one of us through this, much less all of us.

I don't think that's a selfish action but I do think it speaks to the stigma our society places on mental illness. We do not understand it so we don't speak about unless something like this happens. If only we could show the love, support, and provide opportunities for them to reach out while they're here rather than after they're gone...

And to the fundies who respond with all their God bullshit drama, fuck them. I don't have time to even read it.

Rest in peace Mr Williams; thank you for bringing us so much joy, and I will be thinking about your family.

Robin Williams was human just like the rest of us. His work brought laughter to a lot of people (myself included). He was also a good friend and wonderful support to Christopher Reeve, from what I've read about their friendship he behaved in a more "Christlike Manner" toward Christopher Reeve than any of these assholes making ignorant remarks would have done if they had a friend or relative in a similar situation.

I'm really surprised by the comments Shep Smith made. I thought he was a better man. I cannot begin to imagine how miserable Robin Williams was due to his illness but my initial thought was, and still is, that it had to be so awful for him that he was willing to leave this life even though he had a wife and children who loved him. He must have been in so much pain to do this.

I'm really surprised by the comments Shep Smith made. I thought he was a better man. I cannot begin to imagine how miserable Robin Williams was due to his illness but my initial thought was, and still is, that it had to be so awful for him that he was willing to leave this life even though he had a wife and children who loved him. He must have been in so much pain to do this.

Shep Smith did apologize, sorta. He did say that what he said was insensitive and he should not have said it.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/12/f ... d-suicide/

A message from Robin's daughter (I hope she hasn't seen all the disgusting fundie comments we have :( )

“As for those who are sending negativity, know that some small, giggling part of him is sending a flock of pigeons to your house to poop on your car. Right after you’ve had it washed. After all, he loved to laugh too,â€

Unlike these utter assholes, Robin Williams brought joy, laughter and happiness to millions and millions of people. I grew up watching his movies and I thought he was amazing. Unlike these douches, people care that he is dead and will mourn him deeply. Unlike these useless fucks, Robin Williams was a good man who worked to help others through good acts and charity.

Fuck fundies, seriously. Fuck them.

He was such a huge part of my childhood. He was immensely talented as a comedian and an actor and he generously and freely shared his gift with the rest of the world. I think it's a tragedy that he felt he couldn't continue fighting his depression, and I hope he has found peace. As someone with clinical depression who grew up watching him his death hit me extremely hard. Most people have been really good about it, thankfully.

Yup there is, Genesius of Rome. He's also the patron saint of lawyers, clowns, epileptics and torture victims.

Somehow I feel like this guy drew the short straw

Awww Curious :(

As an epileptic, I was so fond of fluffy bunnies, but now ......*sob*, it's all over :(

Depression is a form of mental illness! It is no different then living with heart, lung or cancer illness. We never question when someone stops treatments for physical illness, but when someone dies from a mental illness everyone seems to think that that person is going to burn in hell. We do not know if Robin Williams cried out too the Lord before he took his last breath of life. Only the Father in heaven has the answer too that! We can only hope that Robin Williams did. I have been a Christian for 50 years and often asked the Lord about people who preach to people with mental illness to stop taking their medication and trust in the Lord. I often wonder how many they asked to stop taking insulin or heart pills and trust in the Lord? We can not judge only the Lord can. We know what the Bible says about certain sins, how to dress etc, etc. but their are certain things that we have no right to judge only the Good Lord can! I said my peace, GOD BLESS!

Candace Cameron is being decent on Twitter. Can Kirk refrain from assholery?

Jasmine Baucham also being nice on Twitter.

I love how Twitter thought Candace is important enough to get the blue verified badge, but not her brother.

Here's a good one I saw on my Facebook feed today:

"An American comedian dies and the facebook world explodes with kind words of encouragement and support. It is tragic that Robin Williams has passed, but where are the dozens of posts of shock and sorrow about the Christians being slaughtered in Iraq, and the thousands of babies that are being ripped apart or burned to death by chemicals in the womb everyday? It really just ticks me off that everyone is silent until the topic concerns Hollywood."

UGH.

Like a person isn't allowed to feel more affected by one tragedy than another.

And then some grisly anti-choice language in there to top it all off.

EDIT: I'm tempted to comment, "The dozens of posts of shock and sorrow about the current persecution of Christians in Iraq and about abortion are in my newsfeed. All. The. Damn. Time."

We see so many posts about soldiers dying and people getting bombed that it's not new anymore, so we start overlooking it. A beloved actor dying doesn't happen often, so is news. Most people aren't connected to every soldier, to every victim bombed, but most of us are connected in some small way to Robin.

Also I love how the concern is for the Christians in Iraq, not the Muslims and everyone else who've been living with fear and death for years.

What a twunt. And what's her deal with dentistry? She mentioned it 3 damn times in that one post.

What chicken shit she is, not allowing comments. She can't take the heat, can she.

What suicide does to a family...is not for the feint of heart. Pain, drama, litigation, and people who you love dearly that you ( or at least I...and several unrelated friends of mine who have also lost family to suicide) will never be able to ever have a relationship with again.

Add my family (x2 deaths) and the families of friends who have been through it. Every last one. All the families shattered apart. It's like it's easier to focus grief on fighting and blaming. It feels better to get pissed than to feel the pain and cry.

This feels like the kind of set-up Robin Williams would have made a fabulous sketch off of.

Is Todd Bridges a fundie or just an ass in general? I can't take anything that comes out of his mouth seriously.

I think that using him as an example of the prevelance of depression and the need for more understanding and treatment is one thing, but didn't RW's family specifically ask that he be remembered for who he was and not for how he died? Yet all news sites (right-wing, left-wing, other) are filling the front pages with details on his death. When they said he died of asphyxia, I think we all knew what happened. No need to know any more details than that. The US media is disgusting.

I think fundies and ultra-conservatives may have fewer filters between brain and mouth, but saying suicide is selfish is a common reaction I've heard from people, regardless of political beliefs. For people who've lost family and friends to suicide, though, I think it's part of the grieving process/anger phase.

As a person who suffers from depression, the last thing on one's mind is being selfish. Being depressed is something you just can't explain to anyone who hasn't been there.

Suicide is devastating for the family and friends of the deceased. When the pain is fresh and raw anger/blame might be easier than working through and coming to terms with the suicide. So I can understand if his family/friends lash out - any anger/blame they express could well be the crutch they need to get through the horrible initial days after a suicide in the family.

However I can't understand why anyone on the outside would feel that blame would help anything. Blame will not bring Williams back. It will not soothe his family's grief. It will not prevent another suicide. It only allows the person assigning blame to feel superior and to feel insulated from possible pain themselves because of course they would never do anything like that. The energy outsiders pour into blaming/shaming would be better used to organize better mental health resources/educate people about mental health issues or even just to be aware of mental health issues.

I wish that people who just want to assign blame but not to actually do anything to solve the problem should just shut the fuck up.

Is Todd Bridges a fundie or just an ass in general? I can't take anything that comes out of his mouth seriously.

I think that using him as an example of the prevelance of depression and the need for more understanding and treatment is one thing, but didn't RW's family specifically ask that he be remembered for who he was and not for how he died? Yet all news sites (right-wing, left-wing, other) are filling the front pages with details on his death. When they said he died of asphyxia, I think we all knew what happened. No need to know any more details than that. The US media is disgusting.

I think fundies and ultra-conservatives may have fewer filters between brain and mouth, but saying suicide is selfish is a common reaction I've heard from people, regardless of political beliefs. For people who've lost family and friends to suicide, though, I think it's part of the grieving process/anger phase.

As a person who suffers from depression, the last thing on one's mind is being selfish. Being depressed is something you just can't explain to anyone who hasn't been there.

I think Todd became fundie lite after all his issues with addiction. I can't recall him saying anything shitty like this before. As I said before, his comment regarding Robin Williams was pretty shitty. Most people won't take anything Todd as serious because he is mostly out of the public eye.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2014/08/12/suicide-contagion-and-social-media-the-dangers-of-sharing-genie-youre-free/

This is ridiculous. Now we have to be politically correct when tweeting a tribute to a beloved American icon?

I don't think that's a ridiculous view to take. I was torn on my reaction to the Academy tweet when I first saw it. On the one hand, I like the message that I think was intended-- that Williams is finally no longer facing the pain that it appears tormented him for a LONG time. On the other hand (and I say this as someone who has suffered extreme depression with suicidal ideations), the implication of the tweet IS that suicide was a freeing, positive decision, and that goes against the accepted clinical understanding of it.

Now, I also think it's reasonable to disagree with the reservations about the tweet in question. But even if the reservations are wrong, they are still reasonable.

Archived