IGNORED

Satanists Hop On the Hobby Lobby Bandwagon

happy atheist

If you have a "sincerely held" belief in science, you ought to be able to religiously object to all the bullshit abortion waiting periods and misinformation, right?

The Satanic Temple has produced a form letter for women to present to their abortion providers. Here's hoping this makes waves.

I regard any information required by state statute to be communicated or offered to me as a precondition for an abortion (separate and apart from any other medical procedure) is based on politics and not science ("Political Information"). I regard Political Information as a state sanctioned attempt to discourage abortion by compelling my consideration of the current and future condition of my fetal or embryonic tissue separate and apart from my body. I do not regard Political Information to be scientifically true or accurate or even relevant to my medical decisions. The communication of Political Information to me imposes an unwanted and substantial burden on my religious beliefs.

http://jezebel.com/satanists-repurpose- ... 1612093280

Good for the Satanic Temple!

Never ever thought I'd hear myself typing or thinking this, but, .... yeah!

Quickly edited to add, why don't scientists do this? Why should we have to wait for a religious group? Is there a science umbrella group that could provide something similar? I imagine I'd've been uneasy about using something from the CoS, were I ever in the unenviable position of choosing an abortion in an anti-abortion climate, but something from a clinically interested, ethics group, that would be fine in my personal way of thinking. Just a thought.

Never ever thought I'd hear myself typing or thinking this, but, .... yeah!

Quickly edited to add, why don't scientists do this? Why should we have to wait for a religious group? Is there a science umbrella group that could provide something similar? I imagine I'd've been uneasy about using something from the CoS, were I ever in the unenviable position of choosing an abortion in an anti-abortion climate, but something from a clinically interested, ethics group, that would be fine in my personal way of thinking. Just a thought.

I think it's because this way it can be called a religious belief - exactly like Hobby Lobby's. We afford religious beliefs special dispensation in our culture in a way we don't for other sincerely-held beliefs. It shouldn't be this way, but it is.

God forgive me......right on, Satanic Temple!

I don't believe in satan any more than I believe in god, but I love the way the Satanic Temple has been turning things around on the overreaching religious zealots. :dance:

God forgive me......right on, Satanic Temple!

I'm with you on this statement.

I have been thinking about it--- and per my beliefs, some of the fundies are, to me, no more Christian than the Satanists.

Archived