IGNORED

Sparkling Lauren, a super special sparkling surrogacy and a "gayby"

princessjo1988

It depends on the lice. Many have become resistant to ALL of the types of shampoos.

A good method, in addition to the daily, time consuming, nit picking - is to smoother their hair in mayonnaise, cover in a disposable shower cap and leave on for 12(?) hours, then wash out and resume nitpicking. And,of course, you have to wash EVERYTHING in hot water etc....

As a preventative, I know an old remedy is to comb tomato juice through the kids hair, I guess the lice don't like it.

Ew!

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ew!

When I was dealing with my kid's annual lice infestation 10-15 years ago, I became uncomfortable with the chemical treatment options available. OTC permethrin or prescription malathion only, as they pulled Kwell off the market in my state. Just the word malation makes me want to run for cover, let alone apply it millimeters away from my child's brain. Call me superstitious, but I'd much rather send her to bed with a head dipped in mayo and rinsed in vinegar in the morning.

They would also be reinfected daily because if their living situation. You don't need to wash things, but they do need to be away from humans for 48 hours. We have three days worth of sheets so I changed them daily during the outbreaks, just storing the barely used set away from us (garage during winter, froze the little suckers solid!) for two days before reusing. I suppose she could have spent a few weeks near a laundromat washing and drying on hot daily?

The baby Lauren is surrogating is not her daughters' brother. Biologically, yes, but by Lauren's own words, the boy she's carrying will not be brought home to Australia with them. His parents will be the gold star gays, not Lauren.

Lauren needs to be cementing the fact that they baby she's carrying is not their "brother", and hopefully she is, alhough I kind of doubt it.

If people born from donor insemination are siblings, people who were adopted out are siblings then yes, these kids are the baby's sister. Lauren will not be the mother, but the kids are half siblings.

If people born from donor insemination are siblings, people who were adopted out are siblings then yes, these kids are the baby's sister. Lauren will not be the mother, but the kids are half siblings.

Biologically, yes, but legally, no. A distinction needs to be made for the girls' sake, and it needs to be made from the beginning, to avoid the emotional trauma associated with "losing a brother".

They need it explained to them that this baby is not theirs, that he is going to grow up in Iceland with a loving family. They need this fact confirmed at every opportunity. Otherwise, they are in for a huge, huge fall that Lauren seems to refuse to acknowledge.

Lauren's method of grieving the loss of her son and husband is to almost ignore it. She never gave her daughter's a chance to grieve. And while being a surrogate is a wonderful thing, it's my sinking feeling that Lauren is not handling or explaining it properly. And all that is going to do is set herself and her daughters up for a huge fall.

"6 · Louise · 20 August 2014, 12:28

Is this it? This is it? This is the reality of the great unschooling theory?

This is a travesty – what a waste of your beautiful daughters talent, intelligence and potential."

Louise? Are you one of us? Love your work.

I fear for the children of the comment idiots who are praising Lady Sparkles and her educational neglect. Why can they not see that she is not someone to aspire to be?

I fear for the children of the comment idiots who are praising Lady Sparkles and her educational neglect. Why can they not see that she is not someone to aspire to be?

No one has commented on the fact that she is feeding her children those cheap fluffy, bleached crappy supermarket bread rolls!

I mean, I expected wholemeal or unprocessed rye or IDEALLY given that they don't get much nutrient rich nourishment, some dense pumpernickel. But no!

I saw Lana eating it in bed for the first meal of the day and then again as a burger at dinner time. IS EVERYONE BLIND? Those children are starving. And OK, maybe I am a bit of a bread vigilante but I expect someone on the road with vegan children to have a grip on only providing nutrient rich (not filler) food. That bread is the nutritional equivalent of polyfill.

Families deal with Lice outbreaks all the time and rid there children and home of the problem in a timely manner. I myself caught it from a kids birthday party and did 2 treatments a few days apart and had a lovely friend comb through my very thick hair with a flea comb to remove the leftovers. Washed pillowcase and brushes and voila no more lice and miserable head scratching....,hmmm.

Families deal with Lice outbreaks all the time and rid there children and home of the problem in a timely manner. I myself caught it from a kids birthday party and did 2 treatments a few days apart and had a lovely friend comb through my very thick hair with a flea comb to remove the leftovers. Washed pillowcase and brushes and voila no more lice and miserable head scratching....,hmmm.

Yes, and they went round my kids class three times last winter because some parents were buying shampoos and thinking that was good instead of combing properly. Also, a few days apart is ineffective, it takes 7-10 days for the nits to hatch and get caught by the next round of treatment.

Yes, and they went round my kids class three times last winter because some parents were buying shampoos and thinking that was good instead of combing properly. Also, a few days apart is ineffective, it takes 7-10 days for the nits to hatch and get caught by the next round of treatment.

I think my point may be that if she has to do it daily, then she's not treating the outbreak. And they are all sleeping in the same bed together so they all have them and they won't go away.

Clean your kids up. And yourself. Those aren't sparkles, they are lice.

Yes in hindsight I think the combing out of the eggs was why they didn't comb back. A flea comb works great for that btw. I probably would have tried the mayo thing if I had known. Oddly my husband didn't catch them despite sleeping right next to me.

That un-schooling post was just sad. I mean, I guess that was what I expected un-schooling to be, but to see it spelled out like that... Free access to the iPad?

How could they even try go to regular school now? It was so hard for me to read that post. It made me so angry for those girls, who didn't ask for any of this. Even the Duggars have those stupid workbooks that attempt to teach you multiplication and spelling and shit that everyone in civilized countries should know.

That un-schooling post was just sad. I mean, I guess that was what I expected un-schooling to be, but to see it spelled out like that... Free access to the iPad?

How could they even try go to regular school now? It was so hard for me to read that post. It made me so angry for those girls, who didn't ask for any of this. Even the Duggars have those stupid workbooks that attempt to teach you multiplication and spelling and shit that everyone in civilized countries should know.

The post by the comment (11) by the unschooling scientist is how I imagine proper unschooling should be. Not the crap Lauren pretends is education. I had a look at that 'app' she says the kids use, as I remember my kids using version of it. It's for 4-8 year olds. So I hope the older girls are using something more challenging. But then, if you have no benchmarks, how do you know if your kids are doing ok?

My kid is off on a field trip with his evil public school next week as an ad on to a history unit. I'm really impressed at how planned it is, the activities they'll be doing and how they link it back to the unit. Not just a 'turn up here, look around and leave' type trip which Lauren thinks is all the education the kids need.

PS...Lauren if you'd like to know where there will be HERD of school kids at an attraction near you, so you can avoid it, let me know. :evil: :evil: O

My youngest kid (9) also has a combination of pretty much unlimited computer time, a little running around outside, reading, and grazing on snacks. It's called last week of summer vacation and no more summer camps and sibs are back in school and mom is done with putting much effort into the day :-). If every day were like this he would be very, very, very good at Minecraft and know every video game v-logger on YouTube. Because I know my limitations, he's in (gasp) public school and by this time next week will have had more structured instruction in 2 days than Lauren's girls probably get in 6 months.

It's so sad, i can't believe she's getting away with being such a horrible parent and making a public show of it on the web. How are the authorities and CPS (the Australian equivalent) not getting involved.

It's so sad, i can't believe she's getting away with being such a horrible parent and making a public show of it on the web. How are the authorities and CPS (the Australian equivalent) not getting involved.

Honestly, I don't think she's doing anything that CPS could do something about. Her girls are clothed and fed. Now, I'm not sure about the educational aspect, as I was told once that in Australia, there are home visits that have to be done. (If I'm wrong, please correct me!)

But then, she's travelling around the continent and the world as she pleases, changing jurisdictions whenever she feels like it. I'm sure that would muddle up any sort of investigation if one were even started.

I had a friend who's cousin would post abuse implying statuses on fb... things like, "R wouldn't use the toilet today, had to beat his ass again!" and stuff that was very, very past of the line of acceptability. My friend, as a decent human being, took it to the local authorities who basically couldn't do much about it, as my friend hadn't SEEN anything wrong. (She later was able to get them involved, but that's another story) point is, something someone says online isn't the best evidence.

We dealt with only our second lice infestation ever last year. I consulted a friend who works professional in lice removal services without using the chemicals that don't work anymore. What she taught me is that you have to comb daily until you go two days without finding any, then at least every three days as any that hatch from a missed nit will require five days to mature sufficiently to cross heads. Once you go two combings without a single nit or louse at the three day interval, then you do it once a week permanently to prevent a re-infestation.

One, I don't believe for a nanosecond she's combing for lice daily. The ratted, messy hair of those girls is clear evidence that she is not running a nit comb through daily. Two, she almost certainly NEEDS to be doing a nit comb daily because SHE is the source of the infestation. It's nearly impossible to comb your own hair and that's without her dreds. The child in my house with dreds has tight curly African hair that cannot hold a nit on it in the first place. Lauren does not have that type of hair follicle. She has a massive lice infestation and she gives it to her girls every night she sleeps with them. Oh the authenticity and sparkling in that reality.

As for her unschooling, what is sad is that *this* is what Lauren stages as her perfect day of unschooling. Thing is, there are days as a homeschooler that do look like that day. There are days that kids need a mental break, or need to explore self guided work. There are days that yes working with Legos will reinforce math concepts in a fun, stress-free environment. That is not ALL of homeschooling, and as Lauren's own commenter stated, not common either. The children's nutrition is horrific. Too few calories, too little protein, produce and processed white bread--might as well call it the sugar that stuff is. Those children might have gotten 30 grams of protein in that entire day, assuming they ate a LOT of beans and those veggie patties are at the higher end of what I'm guessing. Grown adults require 50 grams of protein per day, and because protein is what fuels the brain children need more protein than adults. A consistent lack of protein stunts brain development, but then so does their poor educational stimulation.

And if she's buying cheap supermarket rolls, I'd bet that she is also buying cheap veggie patties - ie mostly potato based, maybe a few token grains in there and a couple of pieces of peas & carrots. Also probably full of trans fats and coated with white breadcrumbs.

Re the unschooling - that isn't unschooling, it's just plain neglect. I used to work in a child care / kindergarten that had a philosophy very much along unschooling lines. And if you're doing it right (you know, so that the kids will learn) it's HARD WORK. It involves constantly engaging them in conversation, looking things up all the time, grabbing hold of whatever they're interested in - and as soon as there is more than one child, there are going to be multiple interests, sourcing materials for them to craft with,, etc. It involves ALWAYS being on your toes looking for what the children are involved in and providing the scaffolding and materials so that they can develop further. It also requires stacks of documentation so that you can show that the kids are in fact learning.

Lauren is too sparkly and special for something so mundane as documentation. Besides, she's about to run away to Europe, where they will be driving across Europe, so duh of COURSE they will be learning.

Does anyone else thing Anne Frank is hardly appropriate learning material for most of her kids? I can maybe see a mature 9 year old reading Diary of Anne Frank but a five year old???

Lauren is too sparkly and special for something so mundane as documentation. Besides, she's about to run away to Europe, where they will be driving across Europe, so duh of COURSE they will be learning.

Does anyone else thing Anne Frank is hardly appropriate learning material for most of her kids? I can maybe see a mature 9 year old reading Diary of Anne Frank but a five year old???

I could rant about this all day. Seriously. Nine is simply not old enough to understand the context.

Especially after their recent trip to view all that "slaughtering cows is like the Holocaust!!!111!!!!!" art.

It's fucked up, fucked up, fucked up!

I could rant about this all day. Seriously. Nine is simply not old enough to understand the context.

Especially after their recent trip to view all that "slaughtering cows is like the Holocaust!!!111!!!!!" art.

It's fucked up, fucked up, fucked up!

Nine I don't know -don't have a nine year old but I don't think I would have been much older than that when I read it, but it was in conjuction with a love of history and understanding about the holocaust (actualyy maybe I was older than nine). It's not a story just to read.

It's definitely not a bed time story I'd read to my 6 and 8 year olds. We're busy with Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton. Non-fiction at bedtime - not fun!

I have a very recently turned 10 year old. She reads some scary stuff but it's all fiction. I wouldn't let her read Anne Frank without some close monitoring and supervision, and a preparedness to respond to the inevitable questions. Can't see Sparkles being that involved.

I shudder to think what else the girls could be exposed to if they go Googling for context.

Archived