IGNORED

Myers-Briggs and Your Favorite Fundies: Guess the Type!

halcionne

Quoting myself from the Jessa Courtship thread viewtopic.php?f=87&t=20490&p=755314#p755314 :

I dabble in Myers-Briggs/Keirsey personality types, and my guess is that Jessa is an INTJ. INTJs are frequently perceived as cold, even robotic; a tough row to hoe for any woman in this world, and even more so in the fundieverse. They are also aware of their own positive qualities, which creates in them a confidence can be interpreted by others as arrogance. By the same token, they know where their weak areas are, and are happy to let others be in charge of those jurisdictions. :wink-kitty:

MBTI fascinates me, and I love to try and type our favorite fundies!

For anyone unfamiliar, the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) is sort of a personality quiz that's frequently used in the corporate world to try and get people to communicate better, understand where others are coming from, etc. I see it a lot in my online dating adventures, too. Some people think it's hogwash and others swear by it; YMMV. Severe mental illness makes it impossible to get an accurate result (looking at you, J'chelle and Stevehova), but there are no rules on the idle speculation bus, so here are my guesses.

• Jim Bob: ISTJ
    Michelle: broken ESFP
    Josh: ESTP or ESTJ
    Jana: INFP
    Jill: ESFJ
    Derick: ESTJ
    Jessa: INTJ
    Ben: ISTJ
    Josiah: ENFP

Zsu: ESTJ

Steve Maxwell: a badly broken ENTJ

John Shrader: ESTP

Adeline Morton: ENFP

I'm most familiar with the Duggars, so my list is Duggar-heavy. Now it's your turn!

ETA Sparkling Lauren: broken ISFJ

I'd actually say Jana is an ISFP. That's the "caretaker" type right?

And I always thought of Steve as more of an INTJ gone wrong, but I could see ENTJ as well.

Shrader is an ENFP, definitely.

Michael Bates is maybe an INFJ or ISFJ. Alyssa is probably an ENFP and Erin is an ESFJ?

I'd actually say Jana is an ISFP. That's the "caretaker" type right?

And I always thought of Steve as more of an INTJ gone wrong, but I could see ENTJ as well.

Shrader is an ENFP, definitely.

Michael Bates is maybe an INFJ or ISFJ. Alyssa is probably an ENFP and Erin is an ESFJ?

ISFJ is the caretaker. I'm probably just applying the "INFPs are sad" stereotype. Which is especially not cool since I'm an INFP.

I have very little no real world experience with ENTJs, but he's pushier than the INTJs I know.

I feel like Shrader's main motive (no matter what he claims) behind going to Zambia is to have a grand adventure and to be a big shot. Extroverted sensing dominant.

I'm an INFP, too. :dance: One of my favorite professors from school was also one. I don't know why, but I really enjoy meeting other INFP's. I've found that we all seem to relate to each other on many different levels, more so than any other Myers-Briggs personality.

ISFJ is the caretaker. I'm probably just applying the "INFPs are sad" stereotype. Which is especially not cool since I'm an INFP.

I have very little no real world experience with ENTJs, but he's pushier than the INTJs I know.

I feel like Shrader's main motive (no matter what he claims) behind going to Zambia is to have a grand adventure and to be a big shot. Extroverted sensing dominant.

I guess I was going by this page when I guessed Shrader was an ENFP (though the N/S thing is the one MB element I have trouble distinguishing in other people):

https://www.personalitypage.com/ENFP.html

Also, my best friend is an INFP, and is obsessed with Myers-Briggs, so maybe there is something in the personality type that attracts you guys to the test? (I'm an INTJ btw. And yeah, I apparently come across as cold and aloof to a lot of people. And dating is my Achilles heel...)

Another INFP checking in here. (Grad school has pushed me a bit toward the F/T border but has also pushed me yet harder toward the I pole.)

Don't ENTJ's typically assume that everyone thinks and feels the way they do? The one confirmed and one suspected ENTJ I know both drive me up a tree for this reason-- they are both aggressive, impatient, incurious about the minds and opinions of people other than themselves*, and hypersensitive over perceived slights directed at them yet really insensitive toward other people.

* This is so baffling and dismaying to me. I don't for a moment understand where everyone in the world is coming from. But I want to, you know?

Another INFP checking in here. (Grad school has pushed me a bit toward the F/T border but has also pushed me yet harder toward the I pole.)

Don't ENTJ's typically assume that everyone thinks and feels the way they do? The one confirmed and one suspected ENTJ I know both drive me up a tree for this reason-- they are both aggressive, impatient, incurious about the minds and opinions of people other than themselves*, and hypersensitive over perceived slights directed at them yet really insensitive toward other people.

* This is so baffling and dismaying to me. I don't for a moment understand where everyone in the world is coming from. But I want to, you know?

The one person I do know who is exactly the way you described (and she drove me up a wall as well) was a confirmed ISTJ (took the official test and everything). I don't have any confirmed ENTJs in my life, but the ones I strongly suspect of being so are really assertive, confident, full steam ahead types. Born leaders really. They can definitely plow over people who are not as loud and decisive as they are, but I've never thought of them as sensitive about themselves. But maybe I'm bad at diagnosing and they aren't really ENTJs at all...

[Just realized anyone reading this thread who isn't familiar with Myers-Briggs is going to think I sound like a total crazy person.]

I'm an INFP, too. :dance: One of my favorite professors from school was also one. I don't know why, but I really enjoy meeting other INFP's. I've found that we all seem to relate to each other on many different levels, more so than any other Myers-Briggs personality.

Yay! I don't think I know any INFPs irl, and I wish I did.

I guess I was going by this page when I guessed Shrader was an ENFP (though the N/S thing is the one MB element I have trouble distinguishing in other people):

https://www.personalitypage.com/ENFP.html

Also, my best friend is an INFP, and is obsessed with Myers-Briggs, so maybe there is something in the personality type that attracts you guys to the test? (I'm an INTJ btw. And yeah, I apparently come across as cold and aloof to a lot of people. And dating is my Achilles heel...)

That ENFP description could fit him, but I think the ESTP one fits even more. JMO. https://www.personalitypage.com/ESTP.html

I've been ruminating on Stevie as INTJ and I think you may be right. He's more curt than pushy, I suppose. I adore INTJs and the notion that Steve is one gives me the sadz. Oh well, you can't ALL be awesome!

Myers-Briggs and the cognitive functions make more sense to me than any other metrics I've seen. My whole existence as an INFP basically revolves around trying to figure myself out, then figure out other people and why I don't always have successful interactions with them. Because I'm a :special-flake: dontcha know. But so is everybody else. Now let's all hold hands and sing Buy the World a Coke! 8-)

First bold: I often test at or over the F/T borderline. I wonder if the tests are picking up elevated critical thinking skills and calling that "T." I do not approve! :lol:

Second bold: Is this evidence for, or against, Steve as ENTJ? :wink-kitty:

Steve as an ENTJ? Ouch. Big ouch. I'm a strong ENTJ and I've never considered myself overbearing (quelle surprise). I'm also not impatient and oversensitive. I've always rather liked my ENTJ tendencies...until I read this.

Fascinating thread! I was tested INFJ, and haven't met another. I could see Jana being the same.

Myers-Briggs to me is a lot more logical than say, astrology. I can't stand when people start typing me based on my sign. No offense meant to anyone that does enjoy it, but I personally don't find it to be remotely accurate or truthful. Myers-Briggs always seems way more accurate in predicting someone's behavior, although certainly not 100%. It does categorize people broadly, when they may be only about 50% on a particular attribute, and it does require a person to A. be 100% honest on the test and B. Know themselves well. So there's that.

Anyway, the fellow INFP's I've met can be very moody and unpredictable (but truly caring at heart!) people, but I've found that other INFP's tend to have the best shot at getting their patience and consideration for the most amount of time. I think it's the intuitiveness in us. :D

I'm an INFJ. Here's the breakdown:

Introvert(67%)  iNtuitive(88%)  Feeling(38%)  Judging(22%)

You have distinct preference of Introversion over Extraversion (67%)You have strong preference of Intuition over Sensing (88%)You have moderate preference of Feeling over Thinking (38%)You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%).

Interesting. This was a free online version.

I'm another INFP! We're apparently a minority of the population, but one of our defining traits is a sense of idealism and justice, which is probably why so many of us are attracted to the site. It's a way for us to protest fundie attitudes that are harmful toward other people. And when something like Tool-o-ween happens, we rejoice at the universe providing justice!

Another INFP here. Funny... another forum I belonged to was full of INFP's - a women hiking list. Go figure :)

I am intrigued by Myers-Briggs. My sweetie is INFJ but I think his J isn't very strong because he has lots of strong P traits. I often feel a deep soul connection with INFP's and also ENFP's.

ETA: social justice has always been one of my passions.

Steve as an ENTJ? Ouch. Big ouch. I'm a strong ENTJ and I've never considered myself overbearing (quelle surprise). I'm also not impatient and oversensitive. I've always rather liked my ENTJ tendencies...until I read this.

Simon Cowell, Gordon Ramsey, and FDR are supposedly ENTJ, and I like their ENTJ tendencies. Suffice it to say that NTJs make me :romance-heartsthree: There's something so appealing to me about TJ in general, but throw in the intuition and I'm a goner. Why are you so rare?!

I'm another INFP! We're apparently a minority of the population, but one of our defining traits is a sense of idealism and justice, which is probably why so many of us are attracted to the site. It's a way for us to protest fundie attitudes that are harmful toward other people. And when something like Tool-o-ween happens, we rejoice at the universe providing justice!

You think you're rare? I consistently test as an INTP. I don't think I''ve ever met another INTP in real life.

Fascinating thread! I was tested INFJ, and haven't met another. I could see Jana being the same.

I am INFJ. Supposedly it is the least common type. I'm not sure it's one you'd see a lot in fundies due to INFJs having a rich inner world (this is very true for me) and we all know how fundies feel about encouraging fantasy and imagination.

What I said was uncalled-for, HoneyBunny, and I'm sorry that I was hurtful.

My father is an ENTJ, but he is also a narcissist, and it would not surprise me if the narcissism, rather than the ENTJ-ness, was at the root of the tree-drive-upping.

He and I had a really awful conversation a couple days ago, and I took out my frustration on people I don't even know. Again, I'm sorry. That was wrong for me to do.

Suffice it to say that NTJs make me :romance-heartsthree: There's something so appealing to me about TJ in general, but throw in the intuition and I'm a goner. Why are you so rare?!

Halcionne, The Partner is an INTJ. Life is so much less chaotic being around someone whose response to crisis is to try to figure out what the different strands of the problem are, and which one to try to solve first. I've become a better teacher for spending time around him, because I have gotten better at trouble-shooting.

I'm consistent IS with the T/F sometimes changing and consistent J. When I've done the free online tests it most often comes up with ISTJ which is consistent with how I think I am.

I see Jana as the ISFJ, she nurtures her younger siblings well and doesn't seem to like to draw attention to herself.

Seriously? A 70 question yes/no test is supposed to determine your personality? Color me skeptical.

Seriously? A 70 question yes/no test is supposed to determine your personality? Color me skeptical.

The officially administered test is 93 questions, and a best fit process is normally administered as well. The original testmakers also acknowledged that each individual is the best judge of his or her own personality type, despite what the results may indicate.

I'm not saying it magically determines everything about you and your future, but it helped me to understand how people who act differently than me think and how to better interact with them.

It's been around a long time and is based upon Jungian psychology. I've taken the test many times in a professional setting and a few times on the "Myers-Briggs lite" test sites on-line and have consistently come out as the same type. As it's based upon 4 sets of personality preferences - Introvert vs. Extrovert, Sensing vs. Intuition, Feeling vs. Thinking, Judging vs. Perception, those with strong preferences will find the test very accurate. I have strong preferences and was actually startled at the accuracy when I read my type description for the first time. Those who are borderline in their preferences or not fully honest with themselves doing the test may find it less useful.

You think you're rare? I consistently test as an INTP. I don't think I''ve ever met another INTP in real life.

INTP as well. Finding out I was actually a "type" was simultaneously frightening and liberating. We are very rare but I'm sure you've run across a few in your lifetime, although we can be hard to spot. INTP girls in particular often learn early on to mask their INTPishness to some extent in order to survive their school years, and INTPs in general tend to be good chameleons when dealing with other types. For instance, my extroverted acquaintances think I'm extroverted; the introverted ones think I'm introverted. And for some curious reason, Judgers always think I'm organized even when they've seen the state of my desk.

Never taken the official test, but based on my College Seminar class and googling around, it would appear I am an ENFP. It seems to fit me.

I took the test 20-ish years ago (at a new employee orientation, of course :) ) and I would like to take it again -- is there an online version that is complete/official?

I remember that I tested Introvert but not how the other categories came out.

I also remember some trouble I had with the test:

First, I remember thinking that my brain just "slices things differently" than how the questions were phrased, and it seemed like most of the time, the answer I wanted to give was "Well, it depends". For example, if the question asked "are you comfortable taking charge in a group setting?" and I would think, well, in *these* circumstances I would be very comfortable doing that, but in *those* circumstances I would avoid it like the plague -- but of course the question doesn't account for circumstances, so I'd be at a loss as to how to answer.

Then, I also had some pretty powerful experiences when I was 20 or so, some "human potential" type programs that I did, that gave me some very useful tools that I have adopted and those behaviors have become more or less standard for me, and I remember a few of the Myers-Briggs questions where I felt like I didn't know if I should be answering based on "how I normally behave" or based on "what my base personality would incline me to do" because those two are often very different from each other.

I can't think of specific examples of that one but it might be something like learned leadership techniques or a learned hyper-focus on integrity, manifesting in things like pretty extreme wordsmithing to make sure a project or goal or commitment is defined "just so", or the kind of focus that says being one minute late is a broken agreement… That was not my original/base personality, but those are behaviors that I have learned that work, and so they are 30-year habits that are pretty well ingrained. But which is being asked about?

Anyway, I think statistically speaking the test is useful to identify the common groupings of how peoples' personalities divide out in the first world culture, but I have never felt like I could get it to truly represent ME. I'd like to take it again to see if it works any better for me now. Any good links to the test?

Archived