IGNORED

Myers-Briggs and Your Favorite Fundies: Guess the Type!

halcionne

Anyway, I think statistically speaking the test is useful to identify the common groupings of how peoples' personalities divide out in the first world culture, but I have never felt like I could get it to truly represent ME. I'd like to take it again to see if it works any better for me now. Any good links to the test?

The reason corporations use it so often is because the follow-up exercises in a group setting are supposed to facilitate coming up with ways to work with people who have different preferences.

If you tend overanalyze the questions or don't have strong preferences either way, the type you get may not be representative of your perception of your own preferences. The stronger the preferences, the more likely you are to identify with a type. So someone with a 90% preference for extroversion, a 100% preference for sensing, a 80% preference for feeling and an 70% preference for perception is probably going have no disagreement with the type description of ESFP.

This isn't the full test, but its most of it and it does break down your preference percentages.

humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

I think I/E NFJ would be the default setting for most fundies.

I'd go the other way entirely on the N/S setting. These folks are the total opposite of intuitive.

I'd say most fundie men would fall under ESTJ or ISTJ and the women ESFJ or ISFJ.

NTs that survive being NTs are almost certainly the most likely escape. I can't imagine there are too many intuitive thinkers that are content with fundie lifestyles.

The reason corporations use it so often is because the follow-up exercises in a group setting are supposed to facilitate coming up with ways to work with people who have different preferences.

If you tend overanalyze the questions or don't have strong preferences either way, the type you get may not be representative of your perception of your own preferences. The stronger the preferences, the more likely you are to identify with a type. So someone with a 90% preference for extroversion, a 100% preference for sensing, a 80% preference for feeling and an 70% preference for perception is probably going have no disagreement with the type description of ESFP.

This isn't the full test, but its most of it and it does break down your preference percentages.

humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

Thanks! I took it just now and scored INTJ, which is what I think I scored 20 years ago as well. However, I actually think I'm probably actually an ISTJ instead -- I've had lots of talks and thoughts about intuition in the past year, due to a situation with an Ex who seems to operate on 100% intuition rather than actual, you know, observation and interpretation*, and my realization of all the problems I have with his approach…

And I did notice plenty of "it depends" as my most authentic answer -- partly because why yes, I do overanalyze everything, why do you ask? :D and also as I mentioned my particular tendency to look at situations from a different perspective than it seems others do, what I described earlier as "slicing things differently".

* yes, that's judgy. That's where that J comes in, eh… :?

I'm consistent IS with the T/F sometimes changing and consistent J. When I've done the free online tests it most often comes up with ISTJ which is consistent with how I think I am.

I see Jana as the ISFJ, she nurtures her younger siblings well and doesn't seem to like to draw attention to herself.

I can also see Jana as an ISFJ...I'm an ESFJ and can see the SFJ in her...just with the I (most definitely!) instead of the E.

I'd go the other way entirely on the N/S setting. These folks are the total opposite of intuitive.

I'd say most fundie men would fall under ESTJ or ISTJ and the women ESFJ or ISFJ.

NTs that survive being NTs are almost certainly the most likely escape. I can't imagine there are too many intuitive thinkers that are content with fundie lifestyles.

I agree about NTs; this is why I'm pulling for Jessa as INTJ.

My interpretation:

S = concrete thinking, takes things at face value

N = abstract thinking, reads between the lines

An NF could escape without too much heartache, hopefully, but it will be painful no matter what. I stand by my typings of Josiah as ENFP and Jana as INFP (the way the jewelry box thing still bothers her after all these years--does she see it as a symbol for how fucked she'll be for her whole fundie life? I do).

I like to think any intuitive worth their salt would recognize this bullshit lifestyle and rebel, one way or another!

As an aside, I asked my 19 year old INTJ nephew, who has no knowledge of fundies, if he would be capable of developing and executing a 2-, 5-, or 10-year plan to escape a cult by marrying out. He said would just buy the first bus ticket to anywhere. Would that it were so simple!

What I said was uncalled-for, HoneyBunny, and I'm sorry that I was hurtful.

My father is an ENTJ, but he is also a narcissist, and it would not surprise me if the narcissism, rather than the ENTJ-ness, was at the root of the tree-drive-upping.

He and I had a really awful conversation a couple days ago, and I took out my frustration on people I don't even know. Again, I'm sorry. That was wrong for me to do.

Halcionne, The Partner is an INTJ. Life is so much less chaotic being around someone whose response to crisis is to try to figure out what the different strands of the problem are, and which one to try to solve first. I've become a better teacher for spending time around him, because I have gotten better at trouble-shooting.

No worries Rachel. Honestly, I said it kind of tongue in cheek. I suppose there are some traits I share with Stevie. He's not all bad; I'm not all good (just mostly). ;-)

I'm an INFP, too. :dance: One of my favorite professors from school was also one. I don't know why, but I really enjoy meeting other INFP's. I've found that we all seem to relate to each other on many different levels, more so than any other Myers-Briggs personality.

INFP's Unite!!! :)

I'm definitely an INTJ- very introverted, too! Wife is an ESTJ. This means while we think very similarly in some ways, she's definitely the more outgoing/stronger personality, whereas I honestly remind myself of Dr. Temperance Brennan from the show "Bones." (She's a very awkward, blunt scientist). :D

INFP's Unite!!! :)

INFP here.

I tend to take the Myers-Briggs personality with a grain of salt. I think it can offer some insight but a person shouldn't be judged on their type solely, especially by employers. Employers sometimes look down on introverts.

Then again maybe I'm hesitant when it comes to the Myers-Briggs test because the odious Penelope Trunk is a huge proponent of it. Penelope Trunk is one non-fundie blogger I love to hate. She's some type of career advice guru who has now appointed herself as some type of expert on homeschooling and education. I think she's a charlatan and a grifter.

Apparently I'm an ISFP. The description confused me, but I tend to confuse myself as well, so there.

People like me apparently tend to make good artists, child carers, or work in customer service, health care or administration. Quite the selection.

Although I'm studying to be a translator, I can never make up my mind about what I want. I'll keep the suggestions in mind in case I ever change majors.

You think you're rare? I consistently test as an INTP. I don't think I''ve ever met another INTP in real life.

Come hang out with me some time. :) My mom is an INTJ and My dad's an INFP. My brother is.... actually, I'm not 100% sure. ENTP probably.

I'm an INFP married to an ESTJ. It's actually kind of comical. If there are two ways to do something, I absolutely guarantee that we will each pick the opposite way. On the one hand, it's a good balance. Together, we are the perfect person. On the other hand, the simplest thing requires a compromise. Which is much easier for me than for him. And don't get me started on why I had to start bringing my own car to parties.

And don't get me started on why I had to start bringing my own car to parties.

Fellow introvert here. Yes, I always drive myself to anything social!

I'm an INFP married to an ESTJ. It's actually kind of comical. If there are two ways to do something, I absolutely guarantee that we will each pick the opposite way. On the one hand, it's a good balance. Together, we are the perfect person. On the other hand, the simplest thing requires a compromise. Which is much easier for me than for him. And don't get me started on why I had to start bringing my own car to parties.

The Partner (INTJ) and I (INFP) are different in many ways, but I am grateful we have introversion in common. (We're notably different kinds of introverts, which I hadn't realized was a thing before we started living together. I get overstimulated and exhausted at big gatherings more quickly than he does, and he needs more entirely solitary time than I do.)

TP, on the other hand, misses having someone else push him to be social. That is something his ex (whom I'm guessing is ESFP) did very well.

The compromise thing you mention is interesting. Real compromise, of the sort that involves negotiation, is easier for TP than for me. I tend to simply cave, if there's any indication than another person has stronger opinions about a thing than I do-- my most honest answer to "What do you want?" is most often "I don't want to to experience conflict over the difference between what you and I want." We're working on this.

That's me too. I really don't like conflict, and 9 times out of 10, I'm fine with doing things his way. I am working on being more assertive when my needs aren't being met. Fortunately, my husband is a good guy, so he doesn't take advantage of my lack of assertiveness.

His late wife was very outgoing. I think she was an ESFJ She managed their very full social calendar. They actually had quite a bit of conflict, both being pretty "take charge" types. He says he finds my gentle, quiet nature refreshing, but worries about pushing me around too much. I think any types can be ok together as long as there is plenty of communication, and acceptance of each other's differences. I wouldn't think there is much of that happening in fundie families.

Another INTP here. Mr. Fox is ESTJ. I make the plans and crunch the numbers and then send him out to do the work and to deal with people. We are surprisingly well matched and will celebrate our 24th anniversary at the end of the month.

Nope, still virtually no differentiation between introvert/extravert...just the SLIGHTEST tip to E this time..depends on the day, or even the time of day. :lol:

So, ESTJ, but not an overbearing one who can definitely tip over to the other side on the same day. STJ are not in dispute.

Fear me; I'm a stubborn old coot. :D

I'm INTJ. Baby, I was born this way.

I'm a scientist and suspect that most of my colleagues are also INTJ. We enjoy constant and petty interpersonal conflict.

Archived