IGNORED

Lifetime Movie: Petal on the Wind

Geechee Girl

Running with the success of "Flowers in the Attic," Lifetime's PotW picks up 10 years later. It was craptastically cheesy and snarkable. Heather Graham.... bless her heart. Ellen Burstyn had a few zingers. Orphan Black fans will recognize "Paul" as Bart Winslow.

[bBvideo 560,340:2y2x1pyt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx43cG3q6g8[/bBvideo]

Oh my god that was soooo bad it was good. Classic cheese-tastic lifetime movie there. Easily ranks a 8.5 on the Betty Broderic A Woman Scorned Scale*

**the scale by which all Lifetime movies are graded by, BBAWS is a perfect 10.

It was really awful. Really bad acting, bad story line.. They cut out Dr Paul who was a HUGE character.. and added that awful Sara girl. She just drove me CRAZY!

I didnt like that Chris and Cathy had sex... never in the book did they have sex in Petals. They got close but never actually did it.

Julian was eh... i saw him more pale and darker hair... but he did a good job at acting like a douche!

Carrie's death was SO lame.. like no one noticed the big ass can of rat poison just sitting there.

The confrontation was the part I was most looking forward to, and they butchered it. In the book Cathy plays up a whole performance about her being Corrines daughter...

and OMG WTF was that part with Corys body in the trunk? like where did that come from?

I heard that the movie was shot over a month and mostly on weekends, so I really feel like the actors didnt get enough time to really get into these characters... They all looked the part, I liked Cathy she was what I pictured from the book, and Chris too, but it was just all around bad acting.

Very sad, it was the trashiest book and I loved it. I was really hoping they'd at the very least do the ending justice, and it just sucked..

IKR! I was looking forward to seeing how they'd broach Dr. Paul's relationship with a girl young enough to be his daughter. This movie was so awful, I watched it a second time. :lol: From the low-budget green-screen effects to the atrocious SC accents, this movie was a winner. I'm so ready for the next two installments of the Dollanganger series.

Oh the Sara! The gal playing her was the worst. Does TV have its own form of a Razzi? She'd be the hands down winner.

carrie's death. Spectacular! We'll played lifetime, we'll played!

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a kid I took all V.C. Andrews books Very Seriously, so when Lifetime did FITA *and* POTW it was better than Christmas!

I like Heather Graham better than whoever played Corrinne in the original FITA theatrical release: in the books, she is described as REALLY pretty in a vapid sort of way, and Heather Graham hits the bull's-eye on that. I really like her on the current season of Californication too.

I agree that it looks like POTW was shot in about a week. The acting was so baaaaad in the best kind of way. I had always pictured Julian as handsomer than he was in the Lifetime version, and Cathy as more ethereally pretty, so that was an adjustment.

Hate that Paul was left out!!!!!!!

Love that my husband sits next to me while I watch this crap with the most amazing "WTF?" expression on his face.

• 4 weeks later...

I read the VC Andrews series for "Heaven" one summer in college. I really think that would make a great miniseries because less people are familiar with the story line.

I watched both the FITA and POTW by LifeTime and they were just okay to me. Heather Graham was pretty good in both and she had just enough of that vapid starlet look left to carry off the blank stares required.

• 4 weeks later...

Victoria Tennant played Corrine in the movie FITA.

Louise Fletcher played the grandmother.

I didnt like it either ,that they left out Paul,Or the part where they had sex,and they didn't until later.

I live in SC,and their accents were terrible!

I'll still watch the other two.If There Be Thorns and Seeds of Yesterday.

I think it would be interesting if they did Garden of Shadows too!!!! So we could get Olivia's perspective.See her become the bitter,mean, grandmother.

When I was a kid I took all V.C. Andrews books Very Seriously, so when Lifetime did FITA *and* POTW it was better than Christmas!

I like Heather Graham better than whoever played Corrinne in the original FITA theatrical release: in the books, she is described as REALLY pretty in a vapid sort of way, and Heather Graham hits the bull's-eye on that. I really like her on the current season of Californication too.

I agree that it looks like POTW was shot in about a week. The acting was so baaaaad in the best kind of way. I had always pictured Julian as handsomer than he was in the Lifetime version, and Cathy as more ethereally pretty, so that was an adjustment.

Hate that Paul was left out!!!!!!!

Love that my husband sits next to me while I watch this crap with the most amazing "WTF?" expression on his face.

I still haven't seen these movies but the bolded above made me laugh out loud!

Men just don't understand :)

• 7 months later...

Alright, the last installment of this epic train wreck is on this weekend "If There Be Thorns". Don't know if I'll get to it on Sunday, but will watch it at some point. The last one was so spectacularly awful will see if they can top it.

I read the VC Andrews series for "Heaven" one summer in college. I really think that would make a great miniseries because less people are familiar with the story line.

I watched both the FITA and POTW by LifeTime and they were just okay to me. Heather Graham was pretty good in both and she had just enough of that vapid starlet look left to carry off the blank stares required.

Heaven was my favorite!

I think it would make for a good miniseries or tv show.

NFW. I can't decide if I want to watch any of these.

They should take a break and do My Sweet Audrina.

I'm honestly way too excited for the rest of these movies, they're so terrible, but I enjoy them for some reason. I need to finish the books, too, but VC Andrews' writing style makes me cringe.

I watched FITA and it was ok. Not Oscar worthy but good. Next one was just ridiculous. I won't watch any more.

Agreed with My Sweet Audrina. That was a really good book and has the potential to be a great movie.

I used some Google Tactics[tm][/tm] and discovered that Lifetime has green-lighted making a movie of My Sweet Audrina.

I think they are going to end up doing a lot of her books.

The actor cast as young Bart in "If There Be Thorns" was perfectly sinister and creepy. The rest of the movie was a hot mess, in a it's-so-bad-it's-good way.

Just finished it and all I can really say is these things get crazier with every movie. Still not sure how I've ended up watching these crazy movies, but I can't wait for next week. I have to know how it all ends!

I would watch My Sweet Audrina!

I'll wonder if they'll get to the books that her ghostwriter wrote after her death. Anyone remember when the fact that she had died was ignored and the publisher pretended for a while that she was still writing books?

Here's an article about it.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/the ... ife-of-the

I don't think I've actually read any of the ghostwritten books. No big loss.

So I finally got to watch Seeds of Yesterday on demand, and I feel like it was a bit rushed, but I still cried at the end. These movies were such a clusterfuck, but I'm so sad they're done. Kind of hoping that in a year's time Lifetime will break and announce they're doing Garden of Shadows, but I won't count on it. Luckily I only recently started the books, so I have those to keep me preoccupied.

...Why do I love trash so much? :lol:

• 1 month later...
NFW. I can't decide if I want to watch any of these.

They should take a break and do My Sweet Audrina.

They are making it into a movie. They have a younger and older Audrina, too, which makes me believe they're going to snip out a lot of it like they did petals on the wind.

This brings back a lot of memories. I used to read the Flowers in the Attic series at school so I wouldn't get in trouble at home. I also took them very seriously. Since the movies came out I went ahead bought some used copies and tried to reread them. I got pretty far with Flowers in the Attic and couldn't finish Petals on the Wind. I made it through If There Be Thorns but Seeds of Yesterday was a no-go. Garden of Shadows was good, and I can't stand the thought of them leaving out the grandmother's story because it is key to everyone else's in the movies. Oh well.

Anyway, I'm now realizing just how badly V.C. Andrews wrote. I love her and her batcrap crazy storylines but they are all over the place. Dare I say it that the movies are actually better than the books. They are making my Sweet Audrina into a movie but I can actually see that happening because it is the one stand alone book where there weren't surprise plot revelations thrown in at the last minute. It was a story that built up into a gigantic scene at the end... I won't post spoilers though.

Yeah, being an amatuer writer, myself, I find a lot of VC Andrews' stuff a bit difficult to swallow, but tbh Cathy's my favorite Mary-Sue, if such a thing is possible. :lol: I've seen people who were middle schoolers and teenagers when the books came out basically saying they were that generations Twilight. :lol: Not sure if that's an accurate comparison, but I've seen it more than once.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, being an amatuer writer, myself, I find a lot of VC Andrews' stuff a bit difficult to swallow, but tbh Cathy's my favorite Mary-Sue, if such a thing is possible. :lol: I've seen people who were middle schoolers and teenagers when the books came out basically saying they were that generations Twilight. :lol: Not sure if that's an accurate comparison, but I've seen it more than once.

I don't know if I would say it was that generation's Twilight, but I did read those books when I was in middle school. I haven't seen the last movie, but the first two were especially bad, almost comparable to the Betty Brodrick movies which are my my favorite cheesy Lifetime movies to watch. As I not only get Lifetime, but the LMN which mostly shows those movies, I'm set when I want a trashy movie to watch.

Archived