IGNORED

Long hair question

jerkit

I have loose curls, and have had very long (butt-length) and very short (basically a buzz cut). I'm about two inches short of my best length, which is about chin length and layered from the back; basically, the back is shorter and curly, and it gets longer at an angle towards the front. It's like what Kate Gosselin tried to go for, but much softer and less gelled-to-death. Right now, the front lengths are just short enough that they get in my face all the time and remind me that I hate having bangs.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have loose curls, and have had very long (butt-length) and very short (basically a buzz cut). I'm about two inches short of my best length, which is about chin length and layered from the back; basically, the back is shorter and curly, and it gets longer at an angle towards the front. It's like what Kate Gosselin tried to go for, but much softer and less gelled-to-death. Right now, the front lengths are just short enough that they get in my face all the time and remind me that I hate having bangs.

i loved her hair shorter :) i think it's much more flattering to her that way. i'd get that cut too if i had the chance. (mbe in 20 years when my hubby will let me, he's actually cried before (in a manly way lol) when i got a haircut, he was so disappointed) It just seems so much easier to get things done with shorter hair.

i loved her hair shorter :) i think it's much more flattering to her that way. i'd get that cut too if i had the chance. (mbe in 20 years when my hubby will let me, he's actually cried before (in a manly way lol) when i got a haircut, he was so disappointed) It just seems so much easier to get things done with shorter hair.

I haven't had my hair shorter than chin length, so I don't know about the really short hairstyles (even though I've heard that sometimes you spend more time jelling and spiking short hair than you do combing long hair). I've found that shoulder length is the easiest because you put it in a ponytail or bun and it's out of your face. Bangs are always getting in your eyes and you have to push them back or use clips.

I haven't had my hair shorter than chin length, so I don't know about the really short hairstyles (even though I've heard that sometimes you spend more time jelling and spiking short hair than you do combing long hair). I've found that shoulder length is the easiest because you put it in a ponytail or bun and it's out of your face. Bangs are always getting in your eyes and you have to push them back or use clips.

People always say short hair is easier, but that's never been my experience. My hair was mostly short in my teens, usually around chin length, and it was the most time I'd ever spent on my hair. When I decided to grow my hair out it became so much easier. I no longer needed gel or hairspray. I horrified a friend about a year ago when she found out I owned neither a straightening iron nor a hair dryer. My hair spends 99% of its time in a bun and therefore out of my way. It takes me ten seconds and a hair stick. (I did recently pick up a cheap hair dryer for styling my bangs, which are more trouble than the rest of my hair, which reaches to my hips) It's there if I want to do something more complicated, but if I don't I can have it out of my way in seconds.

I have pretty long hair...to my waist right now and bangs. I used to have it all one length and parted straight down the middle but as I got older I realized that it sort of pulled my face down. So the bangs. I blow dry my bangs with a big round brush and let the rest alone. Here in the HOT desert, I wear it in a bun or pony tail the entire summer (April to October). When I lived in a much more humid climate, my hair looked like I'd had a spiral perm done but that was just the natural curl. Here, it's completely straight unless I use some mousse and spend a good half-hour with my blow dryer. No thanks, don't have time for that.

I'll add that the long hair just seems easier. I can pull it completely up off my neck, don't spend a lot of time or $$ on it. I only wash it about twice a week since as I've gotten older my hair isn't nearly as oily as it used to be.

Anyway...that's my $0.02 on the subject.

My guess is that your hair mileage will vary with whatever fundy church you're attending.

I attend a Pentecostal church that could probably be considered fundy-lite. There are dress standards for men and women. If you are on the platform during church service, either sitting with the ministers, males only, or playing the band, currently led by a woman, you are expected to dress to standard.

For the men, short hair cut close to scalp. White shirts, tie, minister area must wear a suit. Some of the men in the band who do not with the ministers wear khaki pants, white shirt and tie. So kind of getting away with not exactly to standard.

Women are to wear skirts that cover their knees when they sit. There are green pieces of material to lay across your lap if you feel too much leg is showing but it is not required. Sleeves must go below the elbow. All jewelry is permissible except earrings, no idea why. Many ladies wear huge, flashy necklaces. Hair is supposed to be worn up, however apparently if you are a single woman it is permissible to wear your hair down. If there are 30 women in church probably 7 or 8 are wearing their hair down. Lots of ponytails and messy buns and cute updo's but most of the oldest ladies in the church do not color their hair and wear it in what I think of as a traditional Pentecostal bun. Okay this is maybe 5 ladies who do this.

Coloring hair is common at my church, quite a few have lowlights and highlights.

The main thing at my church is that there are standards but everyone acts according to their own conscience. Often I see church members dressed just like anyone else when I see them outside of church, or what I actually see the most both in and out of church is that the women dress to standard but stylish with cute skirts.

Also, several of the younger women wear what I think of as Kardashian heels lol. To church. And I just wonder how they walk around in those hooker heels lol as I always wear flats or at most a kitten heel.

This church is the only church I've ever attended where people are honestly not judged. One of our most active young women is 28, never married, she showed up recently with her hair cut nearly chin length and she hasn't worn it up at all and there's nary a glance about it.

Maybe my church is fundy lite-lite, the main thing is the absence of guilting.

Bolded the part about the updos because I was wondering about that. Is it considered less attractive to wear your hair up? I don't fallow a lot of fundie except the ones or here, and it seems like buns are rare. (Or maybe I just didn't notice it.) Michelle certainly never wears her hair up even though she's a married woman. Could it be because she has to wear her hair like her headship wants to?

People always say short hair is easier, but that's never been my experience. My hair was mostly short in my teens, usually around chin length, and it was the most time I'd ever spent on my hair. When I decided to grow my hair out it became so much easier. I no longer needed gel or hairspray. I horrified a friend about a year ago when she found out I owned neither a straightening iron nor a hair dryer. My hair spends 99% of its time in a bun and therefore out of my way. It takes me ten seconds and a hair stick. (I did recently pick up a cheap hair dryer for styling my bangs, which are more trouble than the rest of my hair, which reaches to my hips) It's there if I want to do something more complicated, but if I don't I can have it out of my way in seconds.

This is true for me, too. Also, I'm someone with soft waves that get pulled out by length, so at shoulder length and shorter I'm trying to deal with waves, but by midback I can just treat my hair as straight, which I find much easier as I had completely straight hair for many years. I *can* spend five or ten minutes in the morning if I want to do something new with my hair, but most days it doesn't take long at all, and if it's a bit greasy I can more easily tie it up and hide it.

Bolded the part about the updos because I was wondering about that. Is it considered less attractive to wear your hair up? I don't fallow a lot of fundie except the ones or here, and it seems like buns are rare. (Or maybe I just didn't notice it.) Michelle certainly never wears her hair up even though she's a married woman. Could it be because she has to wear her hair like her headship wants to?

Since they believe a woman's hair is her glory (not sure what verse that is from) they do think hair down is more beautiful and probably she does it for JB. It would drive me crazy! Always getting in the way while bending down to take care of the kids.

I always think of Laura Ingalls Wilder when I think of long hair - in one of the books describing Laura after her marriage (I think it was On the Way Home), it said how she took down her hair, which was past her knees, and brushed it until it was shimmering. She usually wore it in one long braid down her back, but in the book it says she wound it up and put it on her head because she and Almanzo were going into town to buy their farm in Missouri, and it was more formal that way. IIRC (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong), it also said she preferred it down because all that hair on her head made it hurt. Interesting how back then adult women wore their hair up (every picture of her as an adult, her hair is up), but now the fundie women typically have it down.

Archived