IGNORED

Want a baby? Ask Sarah Maxwell!

Justme

How sad is that? You can tell where her mind is and how freaking desperate she is to have her own husband and kiddos. Or maybe she now believes she's the Blessed Matronly Virgin whose duties furthermore are to help couples have the blessings she covets herself. And rightly so. This shit does my head in & I know I should just walk away from this cyber car wreck but I just can't.

I want Sarah to pray that I never, ever get pregnant again. I'm married, have children so do I qualify for Saintly's non conception prayers? Oh & I'd like a magic 8 ball & an easy bake oven...if she has the time. :pray:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting about your mother. I have a left-handed friend who went to Catholic School for 13 years. She also was NEVER forced to use her other hand.

I tried to add afterwards (but FJ made it another post, for some reason), but my MIL is also left-handed and went to Catholic school. This was the late-40s through early 60s - not sure when latraviata went to school. This was also in the US - Northern California and Massachusetts, and I think latraviata is in Europe?

It's not a Catholic thing, though it is a cultural thing.

I'm right handed, but decided when I was very young that I was going to learn to write with my left hand. My Protestant teacher was FURIOUS, and tried to make me write with my right hand. (And if there's one way to convince me to do something, it's to tell me no to and yell at me about it.)

Today, as I am writing you will see me constantly switching back and forth between hands, (for some reason, this impresses people) because I get serious writers cramp. It's why I learned to type early as well.

That particular teacher was gone by the time my lefty little brother got to he same school, and he was never forced to change. But then, my brother was growing up in the late 90s, and I think that attitude got phased out at least a decade before then.

I hope she can make that ability work for herself. By the time she is allowed to marry, she will probably have reached menopause.

I tried to add afterwards (but FJ made it another post, for some reason), but my MIL is also left-handed and went to Catholic school. This was the late-40s through early 60s - not sure when latraviata went to school. This was also in the US - Northern California and Massachusetts, and I think latraviata is in Europe?

It's not a Catholic thing, though it is a cultural thing.

Yes it was in Europe in the early nineteen fifties. But I have taken revenge by having two left-handed sons!! :nenner: :nenner:

The same nuns pinned strips of paper at the hem of my (smocked) dress, because they thought the dress was too short, I was 4 years old.......

Yes it was in Europe in the early nineteen fifties. But I have taken revenge by having two left-handed sons!! :nenner: :nenner:

The same nuns pinned strips of paper at the hem of my (smocked) dress, because they thought the dress was too short, I was 4 years old.......

My mom grew up in the Netherlands and has horror stories about the nuns from her childhood!

Seems to me that a prayer journal is just another way for Stevie to control Poor Sarah's life. He dictates what she does all day via the schedule, has no friends and has to share a dormitory with her reversal sisters to remain accountable. Her internet and iphone use is closely monitored, and now Stevie can read her prayer journal to see what she prays about.

Interesting about your mother. I have a left-handed friend who went to Catholic School for 13 years. She also was NEVER forced to use her other hand.

It is no longer the case now, but was once very common in Europe. My grandmother was left handed and forced to use her right hand as a child (Greek Orthodox). As a result of trying to cure her of the Left Handed Cooties, she was unable to distinguish left and right in a directional sense without first making the sign of the cross, which GOs do from right to left. So image telling a 60 year old woman, "turn left" and her having to stop, sign the cross, and turn when she realized the side she stopped on was left.

George VI of England, an Anglican, was also forced to be right handed as a child

Although the numbers vary depending on the source, it seems that a fertile couple trying to conceive naturally has a 95% chance of conception within two years of trying. I wonder if she had any idea about this kind of info? That a woman has, roughly, a 20-30% chance of getting pregnant every single cycle when not using any birth control. Her journal entry was written 3 full years ago... Surely she can't credit these babies to her prayers?

Poor Sarah... do you think her snail mail is monitored by the almighty Stevie? This is not the first time I've felt compelled to write directly to her, to encourage her to start actively looking for a man, to get out of her fathers house for even an hour each day, unhindered by a younger sister chaperoning her. To volunteer somewhere, anywhere. Anything at all to get her out into the community where a nice young man might possibly lay eyes on her...

Poor Sarah, indeed.

eta riffles riffles riffles

Poor Sarah, she even has a schedule for her prayer subjects.

In addition to a specific section of prayer requests, I have a daily section. For example, on Mondays, part of my list includes: Anna [i try to pray for a family member each day], direction for upcoming week, Titus2, and then a mom who would like to be expecting, another one who is, and a couple’s salvation, among other items. I have been richly blessed by using my prayer journal.

So?? What are you implying??

So?? What are you implying??

I wasn't implying anything. I was just saying that my friend was like your mother. That's all.

Just to throw in another anecdote - my parents were schooled by Catholic nuns throughout the late 50's, early 60's in the Maritimes of eastern Canada. My dad's left hand was also tied to his desk and he was made to write with his right hand. In turn, his penmanship was never all that great. It was legible and everything but always sort of shaky.

Although he did feel that it gave him an edge in other ways as he was ambidextrous in many things that he tried (ie. bowling or tennis).

I wasn't implying anything. I was just saying that my friend was like your mother. That's all.

It is a suggestive remark, well I have a friend who went to catholic school and was never forced to......I read it as in other words, I never heard of it and I have a catholic friend, so it can't be true.

Just to throw in another anecdote - my parents were schooled by Catholic nuns throughout the late 50's, early 60's in the Maritimes of eastern Canada. My dad's left hand was also tied to his desk and he was made to write with his right hand. In turn, his penmanship was never all that great. It was legible and everything but always sort of shaky.

Although he did feel that it gave him an edge in other ways as he was ambidextrous in many things that he tried (ie. bowling or tennis).

My penmanship is horrible, thanks to the lovely nuns. I am ambidextrous in many things too. My sons however are/were as left-handed as left-handed can be, but nobody forced them to use their right hand.

My grandfather was "trained" with a ruler to write with his right hand. Every time he would try to use his left hand he'd get his smacked and I think that they tied it back too to keep him from using it. This was in normal East Tennessee public school.

I hope the Lord lays it on people's hearts to bombard the comments section with ungodly prayer requests.

:wink-penguin:

I'm right handed, but decided when I was very young that I was going to learn to write with my left hand. My Protestant teacher was FURIOUS, and tried to make me write with my right hand. (And if there's one way to convince me to do something, it's to tell me no to and yell at me about it.)

Today, as I am writing you will see me constantly switching back and forth between hands, (for some reason, this impresses people) because I get serious writers cramp. It's why I learned to type early as well.

That particular teacher was gone by the time my lefty little brother got to he same school, and he was never forced to change. But then, my brother was growing up in the late 90s, and I think that attitude got phased out at least a decade before then.

When I was in Kindergarten (ECE) I could write with both hands. I would start with my left hand, write to the middle of the page then switch hands. The principal and teacher were convinced I would not learn to read if I kept doing that. Reality was they wanted to hold me back so they could get more funding for ECE. That royally pissed my parents off to the point where they were going to enroll me and my sibs in a private school so the school district would get less funding (3 less kids enrolled, less money). Unfortunately the private school agreed with the principal in their assessment so they took me to the local major university and had me Tested. The U said at the least I was of average intelligence and my being amidextrous had nothing to do with reading. Mom brought the report back to the principal and she had no choice but to allow me promotion. Unfortunately I either outgrew my amidextrity (sp) or it was forced out of me cuz now I can only write with my right hand, although I've been told I hold my pen like a left handed person when writing. The best part was years later when my sister was in college (I was a HS freshman by then) she was taking this pschycology class and the professor was talking about amidextrous people. Course she told him my story and he said my writing with both hands had nothing to do with learning to read. And this guy was a Stanford grad.

In addition to a specific section of prayer requests, I have a daily section. For example, on Mondays, part of my list includes: Anna [i try to pray for a family member each day], direction for upcoming week, Titus2, and then a mom who would like to be expecting, another one who is, and a couple’s salvation, among other items. I have been richly blessed by using my prayer journal.

So does this mean every Monday, she always prays for these things. Every Monday, two prayer requests for babies? A couple's salvation??????????????????????????????? Geeze, these folks really do think everyone is going to hell. Wonder if on Tuesday's she prays for an unmarried person's salvation

:wink-penguin:

Better be careful. You may end up with a baby! Doesn't matter if you have no "lady parts". ; ) Sarah is very powerful and these are people who believe a spouse will drop out of the sky for their unmarried "children."

Archived