IGNORED

Orthodox Israeli Woman Assaulted for being "Immodest"

Cleopatra7

Haredi publications will not even print pictures of baby girls or mothers, because that would be "immodest." When Osama bin Laden was killed a couple years ago, a Haredi newspaper photoshopped Hillary Clinton out of the photo of Obama's war room for fear the delicate yeshiva bochurim would go crazy with lust.

That's confusing to me. Hillary Clinton is not Jewish, so if the image of her in a pantsuit sitting at a table is potentially defrauding to Haredi men, then religious affiliation wouldn't seem to affect potential defrauding. So how do they deal with the shiksa hipster girls in their neighborhood wearing little skater dresses and short shorts? Or women running through their neighborhood in standard workout attire? Why are there no stories of these women being spat at and called names? I'm not encouraging this to happen, obviously, I'm just wondering how the Haredi men try to rationalize this inconsistency. From my viewpoint a lot of it is probably the nature of bullying, a young girl from their culture is more likely to feel shame when being confronted by them whereas another woman is most likely going to tell them where they can get off. But what's the party line on this?

If they pulled the same crap in Brooklyn that they pull in Israel, forget it. They complained about ads on city buses and women in workout clothes a few years ago bit didn't get anywhere. Assault and battery crosses the line.

That's confusing to me. Hillary Clinton is not Jewish, so if the image of her in a pantsuit sitting at a table is potentially defrauding to Haredi men, then religious affiliation wouldn't seem to affect potential defrauding. So how do they deal with the shiksa hipster girls in their neighborhood wearing little skater dresses and short shorts? Or women running through their neighborhood in standard workout attire? Why are there no stories of these women being spat at and called names? I'm not encouraging this to happen, obviously, I'm just wondering how the Haredi men try to rationalize this inconsistency. From my viewpoint a lot of it is probably the nature of bullying, a young girl from their culture is more likely to feel shame when being confronted by them whereas another woman is most likely going to tell them where they can get off. But what's the party line on this?

1. Some do minimize contact with the outside world, especially for unmarried young men.

2. As much as some areas are enclaves, they do realize that they are a minority in the United States and that they don't have control over public spaces.

3. They realize, for the most part, that they can't shame or intimidate someone outside of their community.

4. They react to sexy outsiders by putting even more stringencies on their own women.

5. They don't necessarily expect any "better" from non-Jewish women, who aren't subject to Jewish modesty rules.

1. Some do minimize contact with the outside world, especially for unmarried young men.

2. As much as some areas are enclaves, they do realize that they are a minority in the United States and that they don't have control over public spaces.

3. They realize, for the most part, that they can't shame or intimidate someone outside of their community.

4. They react to sexy outsiders by putting even more stringencies on their own women.

5. They don't necessarily expect any "better" from non-Jewish women, who aren't subject to Jewish modesty rules.

Ah, thank you! That explains the inconsistency better to me, but makes me even more angered by these entitled men's attitudes (especially point #4!)

Archived