IGNORED

Teri Maxwell is such a bitch

SPHASH

This is another excellent example. ADHD meds would be "cheating." Instead, to Teri's view, he got to work things through the hard way or whatever and so they view that as better.

Even if he has to work hard even with medication (which is absolutely true) it seems they view that as somehow skipping ahead, or something. It's weird.

And yes, they do seem to view themselves as "better" for having thus "not cheated."

"Moody-altering" - LOL :lol:

Martyrs.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's the thing for me regarding anti-depressants versus faith: Is it so wild to think that maybe God sent scientists, biomedical engineers, and physicians to us so that we could have them? That taking them is part of God's plan to improve your life?

Amen!

The thing that gets me is that these people are generally not anti modern medicine. So chemotherapy is okay, blood transfusions are okay, putting a cast on a broken limb is okay, braces are okay, taking pain killers for a headache is okay, but if you're so depressed or anxious that you can't function, you're just not trusting Jesus enough? By their own internal logic their argument makes no sense.

That's what my own mother believes. Everything is my own fault for not being a good enough christian.

but -- but -- that would be "Moody-altering"! :lol: (sorry)

That's what jumped out to me reading this thread. I don't follow the Maxwell's, but choosing the name Moody for a family of children, when Sara's actual mother was depressed seems a little......obvious? Snarky? Passive-aggressive? Just plain odd?

Of course it's possible that there is no connection at all, but it seemed strange to me.

I don't find it odd though that the children in the books are largely independently taking care of things, I think most children's books are like that...the parents have some reason that they aren't very involved, so the children have control of the action, with the parents as secondary characters. Of course I've never read the books so I could talking 100% gibberish :D

That's what jumped out to me reading this thread. I don't follow the Maxwell's, but choosing the name Moody for a family of children, when Sara's actual mother was depressed seems a little......obvious? Snarky? Passive-aggressive? Just plain odd?

Of course it's possible that there is no connection at all, but it seemed strange to me.

I don't find it odd though that the children in the books are largely independently taking care of things, I think most children's books are like that...the parents have some reason that they aren't very involved, so the children have control of the action, with the parents as secondary characters. Of course I've never read the books so I could talking 100% gibberish :D

Yes, on the one hand, it's hard not to wonder if the name is significant.

On the other hand, pretty much all the children's books and stories I can think of have the kids doing their thing without the parents having much of a presence -- think the "Peanuts" gang as a classic example.

I haven't read the books either, so take this all with lots of salt too...

Her comments about young people today really didn't surprise me at all, seems par for the course in Maxhell. But these comments really irked me:

She's basically saying "if you didn't read our book (or did, but didn't implement the advice), then I BET YOU REGRET IT NOW!!!"

I wonder what they consider "addictions to entertainment," given that Steve allows NO fun whatsoever.

Thence the cleaning obsession: if a depressed Teri => a neglected house, then a clean house means everything is just fine!!!11!!

Hopping on the ISB now: it's far out, but do you think poor Sarah is either holding back being held back from starting her own family out of fear she might have inherited Teri's PPD? Because the best way to treat PPD is stifle your life and dreams, not arm yourself with family support, therapy and meds and get treatment when required.

Moody is also the name of a Bible Institute, a fairly well known Missions group. Could Sarah be using poetic ambiguity in her name selection?

See, the thing about that (and what fundies don't think about - well, a lot of people actually, not just fundies) is that the medication for any mental health issue, whether it be depression ro ADHD, doesn't take away ALL the symptoms. There's still work to be done.

I've been on anti-depressants for over a decade now, and I need them to function. But I still have to work through lots of issues related to my depression with psychotherapy and cognitive behavior therapy. Yes, I have a chemical imbalance in the brain, but I also have neuroses that I developed to compensate for that imbalance and for various problems in my life.

My husband has ADHD, and he takes Ritalin, and has since childhood. But he still had to develop coping mechanisms and learn how to manage the behaviors and inattention that the Ritalin couldn't completely take away. It's something he works on continuously. He can't function without his meds, but taking the meds just means that can work develop betting coping methods.

Fundies (and others) could still have testimonies about how God led them to medication. They could thank God for making sure that medication got developed, and thank God for giving them the a chance to work through their issues in other ways.

Yes! If you experienced depression, anxiety, etc. for any length of time at all, you have almost certainly developed unhealthy coping mechanisms - including self medicating with drugs and alcohol. Getting on the right meds just lets you get started doing the hard work of relearning how to life in a healthy way.

I haven't been to any sort of therapy besides some grief counseling in 20 years, but the first 5 years I was on the drugs I was in intensive counseling. Now, the meds are enough.

Moody is also the name of a Bible Institute, a fairly well known Missions group. Could Sarah be using poetic ambiguity in her name selection?

Probably! Maybe that is where she got the name.

Yup, and Steve told me I was wrong when I presented it that there is no difference between mental health care and the care of your physical health.

Sadly, enough people who are NOT fundie agree with him, which is why we are still so far away from mental health parity.

As you say, many Christians (as well as many non-Christians) take a very dualistic approach towards the mind and the body. When you add all the biblical exhortations about controlling your thoughts in order to avoid sin (not to lust, guarding your thoughts, etc.), it can lead one to focus on controlling your own mind through willpower, prayer, and the grace of God. Which can then lead one to think that using medications aren't dealing with the root causes of sin.

There are also all the verses about when your {insert body part} "causes you to sin," pluck/gouge it out or cut it off. Which makes it sound like your body is a separate entity causing YOU (your consciousness, your soul, your mind, your spirit) to sin. It's like you're at war with your body, and it's part of your Christian walk to win that war against your sinful body.

I guess that's how I grew up thinking about it. It's helped me to meet Christians who take a more integrated approach to mind/body - that your body is valuable, that you should care for your body, that your mind needs rest just like your body, and so on.

Paxil and Welbutrin have been my BFF for 18 years. Even though I do suffer from some side effects of the meds. The benefits far outweigh the side effects.

My brain is just like any other organ if it is not working properly I will seek out help from the professionals. I will not be waiting for god to lay it on my heart to go. Because I think with my brain and not with my heart.

In some ways I feel sorry for Teri but on the other hand she is a grown woman and able to make her own decisions. She chose to stay with Steve's crazy ass and brought 5 more kids into the craziness.

Growing up fundie, this is what I was taught about mental/emotional health and depression.

Depression= sin. Because being depressed is a result of not being grateful, thankful, and joyful. Thus, there is no reason to seek medical help for depression. You just need to get right with God.

Symptoms related to depression -- lethargy, inability to focus, anti-social behaviour, sleep issues, etc. -- are simply stumbling blocks from the devil to tempt you to not have the right attitudes. So if you chose to be right with God, then God will fix these problems for you.

Growing up in a sheltered family, this logic made sense. Now that I am exposed to real people in the real world, I realize that I was SO led astray! I think the problem with people like Teri is that they are so distanced from other people, that they cannot see the good in different ideas, cultures, people, etc. They have convinced themselves that everyone else and every other belief and idea is bad and sinful. They cannot accept that someone who is depressed could be helped by medication or therapy. They can't understand how a child can attend public school, or watch Disney movies, and yet turn out to be a respectable adult. They make a blanket assumption that everyone who's not like themselves, is doing it wrong.

What if their child commits suicide or a crime? Mental illness is very real. It isn't something to joke with. It can be cured and/ managed with the right treatment. I think people who don't believe in it needs to go seek professional help

That's what my own mother believes. Everything is my own fault for not being a good enough christian.

What does that mean exactly? What is a good christian? My parents said I committed sins by dating and not allowing them to choose my mate :cray-cray: or by not allowing them to question my date or friends. Dying my hair, making men lust after me when I was wearing a tank top with shorts in the summer time, not knowing bible verses, blah blah blah. And I turned out just fine. It's people with that mentality that think that they are better than everyone else. If you do xyz then nothing bad will ever happen. Sadly it isn't the case.

I think it IS very possible that the kids might NOT have known what was going on at the time. Sarah, having to do the bulk of the housework, would've noticed it more, but the boys? Are never expected to do half that stuff anyway, so how would they have noticed?

And Sarah might have noticed that mom suddenly dumped work on her, but depending how good mom was at hiding it, she might not know why. I know if my mom suddenly told me she struggled with depression I'd be shocked (but not surprised) because she NEVER shows any sort of emotion at all.

Poor Sarah! Steve must've depended on her a lot during Teri's depression. Which she still has. She just developed coping mechanisms IMO. So instead on seeking professional help, Steve viewed the world as an evil place. What an ass. Steve has a few mental issues himself. He took advantage of the situation with Teri.

Now that Terri doesn't really have to homeschool or really manage the house, she can kind of coast. It seems school is just fill out the last few workbooks. She has a menu planner who makes up the shopping lists and she has several housecleaners. All she has to really do is keep herself up and follow the schedule and kind of phone it in except when she's writing a column here and there and helping Steve write a book. The conferences have even melted away.

What does that mean exactly? What is a good christian? My parents said I committed sins by dating and not allowing them to choose my mate :cray-cray: or by not allowing them to question my date or friends. Dying my hair, making men lust after me when I was wearing a tank top with shorts in the summer time, not knowing bible verses, blah blah blah. And I turned out just fine. It's people with that mentality that think that they are better than everyone else. If you do xyz then nothing bad will ever happen. Sadly it isn't the case.

It means that I am not praying enough, living righteously enough, and most importantly, not trusting in God to heal me.

Archived