With a social disease

Gee, Officer Krupke

What are we to do?

Gee, Officer Krupke

Krup you!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id rather my teenager do all of the things people complain at them for, like party, be too attached to their phone, sulk, talk back etc. than be the way that Teri and her husband raised their children to be.

As long as you teach your kid to be responsible with doing those things (like have safe sex, say no to drugs, don't drink and drive, be careful with meeting people from the internet or giving out personal details...), and don't control them so much they feel the need to hide from you instead of be open with you, they will grow out of all of these behaviours with lessons that they have learned from their mistakes, and their own opinions which they have developed through being exposed to other views, and go on to have productive lives.

The same cant be said for the Maxwell "kids". Their parents have raised children who are immature for their ages, stunted socially, have no job skills, completely dependant on their parents at an age where most of their peers have moved out of their parents homes and are completely running a household, working, being married, having kids...They don't know how to function without being told what to do, parrot their parents opinions but don't even know the reason why, just that their parents said it was right and cant make their own decisions.

Teri, you and Steve screwed up. Your kids would need a lot of therapy if they ever wanted to do something with their lives.

Seriously, if you gave one of the Maxwell kids and the average, worldly 15 year old a few adult tasks (like choose a recipe they've never tried before, go shopping and buy the ingredients and then cook it, or spend the day in the workplace, take the bus over to the next town with some money and spend a good part of the day there doing what they like, go onto the streets and sell something to people that isn't Jesus...) the teenager would do it way better than even Sarah could despite being half her age. Do those things with the average adult, and there would be no competition. Even with a 2nd generation fundie of about their age who is married (like Josh or Anna, Pecan Thief, the LIAS daughter who is married, even Priscilla) the Maxwell "kid" would fail.

Just so they don't think that even though their kids would be crap in the workplace, don't know how to try new things and cant go places by themselves, you could do the same thing with a teenager and fundie approved things like caring for a baby for a day, cleaning, cooking...they wouldn't be completely hopeless and likely would be able to do things just as well as a Maxwell even if they haven't been trained to do it from birth.

There I said it. Just read her latest Mom's Corner and she calls today's youth hopeless, that they don't know Jesus Christ, are on anti-depressants, and have no purpose. Talk about projection there Teri. You and your hubby are hopeless, don't know Jesus Christ as well as you think you do, should be on anti-depressants, and have no purpose in your miserable lives. OK rant over. Back to my glass of Blue Suede Shoes from Prairie Berry Winery.

Loved Prairie Berry Winery! We had the best time wine tasting when we were in South Dakota a few years ago. We bought a few bottles of Red Ass Rhubarb for gifts, along with the 2 Rednecks. Personally, I wasn't really a huge fan of the Red Ass Rhubarb, but it was fun to give away.

I did like the Pheasant Reserve :-) We still have a bunch in our wine fridge.

Anyone watch True Detective on HBO? This quote comes to mind:

" If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward then, brother, that person is a piece of shit. And I'd like to get as many of them out in the open as possible."

Yup, I just called Terri Maxwell a POS.

Her comments about young people today really didn't surprise me at all, seems par for the course in Maxhell. But these comments really irked me:

Families whose sons were in their teens when they bought Preparing Sons now have sons who are in their late twenties to early thirties. Many of those families read that book and set it aside, continuing to live just as they had been living. Now in some of those families there are sons who are struggling needlessly in adulthood. Had their parents caught the vision presented in Preparing Sons, their sons might be in a better position to support a wife and children. It was within the power of the parents to give their sons the tools in their youth that would have smoothed their way to adulthood.

Then there were other families who read Preparing Sons and said, “We want to do this! We desire this outcome for our sons.†With the Lord, they developed a vision for their sons. They made changes, and they prepared their sons not to be children forever but to be responsible, capable adults. Today they see the positive fruit in their young adult sons’ lives.

We wonder what the outcome would have been if every family who read Preparing Sons decided to follow the advice it contained. How many young men would be free of addictions to entertainment? How many would have hearts to serve the Lord Jesus Christ rather than self? How many of them would have their own businesses? How many of them would own a debt-free house?

She's basically saying "if you didn't read our book (or did, but didn't implement the advice), then I BET YOU REGRET IT NOW!!!"

Don't just give Teri a Pepsi and a Prozac, give her a Pepsi and Prozac enema.

Let's face it. Thorough history in the eyes of the current generation, the next generation has been going to downhill since Cain and Able entered the world.

Yup! Every once in a while, I have to remind my husband that we used to be "these kids today". Sometimes I have to remind him emphatically. That, and the fact that I heard New Order's True Faith being done in an elevator music version at my local Au Bon Pain, are making me feel very old lately... :)

Her comments about young people today really didn't surprise me at all, seems par for the course in Maxhell. But these comments really irked me:

She's basically saying "if you didn't read our book (or did, but didn't implement the advice), then I BET YOU REGRET IT NOW!!!"

Yeah, because having your own business and a debt free house is really going to solve all the world's ills.

Loved Prairie Berry Winery! We had the best time wine tasting when we were in South Dakota a few years ago. We bought a few bottles of Red Ass Rhubarb for gifts, along with the 2 Rednecks. Personally, I wasn't really a huge fan of the Red Ass Rhubarb, but it was fun to give away.

I did like the Pheasant Reserve :-) We still have a bunch in our wine fridge.

I also recommend the Phatt Hog Chardonnay and Strawberry Fusion.

I usually lurk, but after reading that drivel, I felt compelled to post. Teri Maxwell has no idea what she is talking about.

At one point she says this:

When our boys became teens, we wanted to direct their time usage into profitable pursuits. Their childhood playtime was replaced by activities that were productive. Of course they had school that took up much of their day. They might spend other time practicing an instrument, doing lawn maintenance or other chores, and especially important was developing marketable skills. Our youngest son says in hindsight, he wishes he had learned even more vocational skills than he did during his youth.

Interesting, but not surprising, that she seems to just be speaking about the boys. What she has described above is the gross majority of me and my friends when we were in high school (male or female). My two kids 11 and 6 also do a lot of what she mentions. Kids go to school, they come home and practice an instrument/dance/play a sport, do chores, etc. I swam and taught swimming lessons and lifeguarded, danced, and then graduated, went to university and now am married and own a home (not debt free though, gasp, gasp, gasp).

So many of the youth of today are hopeless. They don’t know Jesus Christ, and they have no purpose. Their lives are sadly out of control. Many are on anti-depressants. They have nothing worth living for, and they become overwhelmed with the emptiness of their lives.

What purposed do HER kids/youth have? For the girls - becoming a wife/mother? How's that working out? For the boys I guess it's to work and get a wife/family. Two of the boys are married with families but they who knows how they earn their money (and that goes for the youngest ones as well).

I had purpose as a youth. I worked hard in highschool because I wanted to go to university, I worked and developed skills to work and earn money and now I'm a productive adult.

Occasionally, I drink pepsi. Don't tell anyone. ;)

Wow, they seem to have a lot of confidence in their abilities.....

Yes, the the ability of a man to become successful in life is 100% completely determined by if his parents read and followed this book :roll:

and they prepared their sons not to be children forever but to be responsible, capable adults.

Have you prepared all your sons for this? They still seem to be living like children to me.

Many are on anti-depressants. They have nothing worth living for

Do those two really correlate? That makes me want to double up my dosage. :angry-banghead:

I'm on an anti-depressant for neuropathy. It has nothing to do with depression. Now, I fully admit that I *was* depressed and had absolutely NO idea exactly how depressed I was. I knew I had some depression. Anyone with a chronic condition likely has some level of depression, but I really thought that mine was not that bad. I thought I had a "couple bad times a year" and the rest of the time I was ok.

hahahahahaha

While my pain dr. scripted me the med for the neuropathy (and I did kind of wonder for a split second if he was trying to pull a fast one, but he had never lied to me before and I was upfront with him about the possibility that maybe I should see a therapist...it was one of the "bad times of the year") the change in quality of life has been amazing.

Within 2 pills they had pretty much completely knocked out the nerve pain I was still having break through my other meds constantly, so for me I was essentially "pain free" for the first time in 15 years (I still have other pain, but I have high pain tolerance for some kinds of pain. nerve pain is not one of them, unfortunately). By the time I had been on it 2-3 weeks, I told people I felt "lighter" because that was the only way I had to describe how I felt.

I had no idea that I was always essentially barely keeping my head above water and the "bad times of the year" were when I finally went under. Now I'm almost always on the surface. Stuff that used to send me into a spiral, will upset me for a few hours or even minutes and then I'm fine again. I haven't had a major "bad time of year" type episode since I've been on it. I almost don't even remember what they are like. My friends all do though :( They tell me stuff once in a while that I don't even remember or remember vaguely and slightly differently.

Even if they didn't help my mood, you'd pry them from my cold, dead hands for the relief I get from the nerve pain when using them.

People should NOT be made to feel guilty about needing ANY type of medication. Teri would not be laying guilt on someone that needs blood pressure meds or heart meds or insulin (well maybe *she* would because probably with enough sacrifice and prayer you don't get sick or have health issues :roll: ) and meds for your BRAIN, arguably the most important and complex organ in your body is no different.

/soapbox

To the bolded: I always describe it as seeing in color for the first time when you didn't realize there was anything other than black and white. When I went on antidepressants the first time I drove my friends crazy walking around saying "Really, you always feel like this? This is how all your days go? I had no idea!"

I just returned from a part of the world where financing is not widely available; heck, it's not available, period. I wonder if the Maxwells have ever travelled to a place like that, to see what happens to the economy when people can't borrow to build houses and grow businesses. Because it's a quick recipe for recession, and, in the places that I've seen, results in second- and third-world nations. Something to think about, Steve.

As for Teri's insensitive remarks...we can't all be as perfect as her kids, so let's just give up now. I mean, when I was at the age where Sarah is, I hadn't authored several poorly written and unimaginative children's books. I had simply put myself through college and two graduate schools (on scholarships and working, not student loans), had been married for nine years, promoted, moved around the country and started a charity for underprivileged children. Oh, and my faith was stronger than ever (this to Cabinetman).

What an undriven waste I was!

Today's young people face challenges previous generations didn't. There are fewer jobs available, the cost of college for those who want to go is skyrocketing, the cost of living is absurd compared to the wages most jobs pay, you get members of the GOP arguing against young people getting medical care if they can't pay for it, and today's youth are paying into a social security system that won't be there for them instead of getting to set aside that 6.25% for their own retirement. Today's youth don't have hope for retirement.

That doesn't mean they're hopeless. It means the previous couple generations fucked things up and decided someone down the line can take care of it, and today's youth are the ones being weighted down with the debts and burdens of those before them. "Knowing" Jesus doesn't have an effect on this. If anything, since this is a country with a Christian majority that was once a bigger majority, you can blame those who "know" Jesus for the mess we've got.

I just see a huge ball of defensiveness. I think she knows, very deep down, how much easier her life would be if she'd stayed 'normal', let the kids do normal young adult things and taken those antidepressents.

I think she's convincing herself that the koolaid really is a better option than the Pepsi.

QFT! She *has* think that everyone who is not an appendage to her husband is a morally bankrupt, hell-bound wreck. It justifies her whole (non)existence. And it especially justifies what has been done to her children. Cognitive dissonance is no easy thing to handle.

If she was truly comfortable in her life and thought she made the right choices for her kids, she would have no need to put others down. It's actually very, very telling and speaks to how insecure she really is.

If she was truly comfortable in her life and thought she made the right choices for her kids, she would have no need to put others down. It's actually very, very telling and speaks to how insecure she really is.

Good point! I wonder if deep down she regrets how she raised the kids.

Today's young people face challenges previous generations didn't. There are fewer jobs available, the cost of college for those who want to go is skyrocketing, the cost of living is absurd compared to the wages most jobs pay, you get members of the GOP arguing against young people getting medical care if they can't pay for it, and today's youth are paying into a social security system that won't be there for them instead of getting to set aside that 6.25% for their own retirement. Today's youth don't have hope for retirement.

That doesn't mean they're hopeless. It means the previous couple generations fucked things up and decided someone down the line can take care of it, and today's youth are the ones being weighted down with the debts and burdens of those before them. "Knowing" Jesus doesn't have an effect on this. If anything, since this is a country with a Christian majority that was once a bigger majority, you can blame those who "know" Jesus for the mess we've got.

No offense but I was born at the tail end of the baby boom,/ beginning of GenX, depending which breakdown you read, and we were told all those exact same things growing up. Admittedly I live in a part of the country that has always had an absurdly high cost of living. And I know the recent economic crash was the worst since the depression, and that middle class jobs have disappeared, but we were also told that social security wouldn't still be around, but it appears to be. And I would much rather gamble on my social security being there than invest in stocks that can bankrupt you when they crash. General welfare benefits are way down from when I was young, but actually medical coverage for young adults is much better now that kids can be covered under their parents policies to age 26, and individual adults can qualify for Medicaid in most states.

Our kids are in their twenties to early thirties and almost all of them are self-supporting. A couple of the youngest ones are still living pretty hand to mouth and getting help with expenses from time to time, but I don't think that's unusual during any time period for young adults. And like I said, our area is insanely unaffordable, if they had grown up virtually anywhere else they wouldn't be struggling quite so much.

Do those two really correlate? That makes me want to double up my dosage. :angry-banghead:

I think that's just Terri's way of justifying not taking anti-depressants for her depression. I, personally, think taking your medication shows you recognize there IS something worth living for and you want to be around to experience it.

Signed,

Someone who has been on Prozac for 10 years and will stop taking it when you rip it from my cold, dead hands. :)

How does she know that some families who set the book aside have sons who are struggling needlessly in adulthood? Did they stay in touch with her for 10+ years after disregarding the book so they could let her know what a mistake they made, or did she get in touch with them? And what about the sons (whose families put the book aside) who aren't struggling? How did they do it?

Maxwell thinks the problem – the problem – is youth culture? (Which youth culture? Which part? Which country? Which age group? Come the fuck on, Teri – let’s get specific here!)

No – the problem is what human slag like me and others in my age group (and those back of us as well) have left for the children to clean up, without any kind of guidance on how to set things right again.

Instead we hope they can figure it out – and by “it,†I mean “everything.†We hope the kids can fix literally every problem past generations have created, from waste that will be as deadly in 10 000 years as it is now to street crime to every sort of racism – we tell then, “Here; you fix it – and do that while under pressure to learn more at school in six years than we did in 12 or more. Good luck.â€

Yes, the precious children: Commodities that fundie parents think they own. Consumers for a bevy of targeted products. Virtually without rights when compared to those of age. The most common victims of abuse at home. The most vulnerable in a destabilized society.

Our future.

And still it turns out that some of them get together to address these problems they inherited; to look for solutions. They look for ways to make a garden bloom in hell.

They deserve better than the mutterings of that black hole of a human being – a creature once called Teri Maxwell, before she cut herself off from the world, refused to learn anything about current events, and yet considers herself fit to sit in judgment over the young.

She really is a horrid bitch.

This. Several of their recent posts have reeked of projection and insecurity. The foundation of that ivory tower becoming a bit shaky there, Maxwells?

Also that unneccessary jibe at anti-depressants was incredibly revealing for me, confirming to me that Teri did/does suffer depression and just how successful her "treatments" have been.

Archived