IGNORED

Teri Maxwell is such a bitch

SPHASH

Let's face it. Thorough history in the eyes of the current generation, the next generation has been going to downhill since Cain and Able entered the world.

That's true, at my house we were just talking about this.

As a Christ follower, I've never seen another group bash anti-depressants like the Christians do. They have no idea what they're talking about, and always assume it's a faith based issue. I got along with the Christian homeschoolers I used to know, but this was the one thing that made me super uncomfortable to be around them. Mental illness has been in my family for at least 4 generations, it's not a this generation thing.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always felt bad for Teri precisely because she suffered such severe untreated depression. I would marry my celexa if I could.

Her three daughters have done nothing with their lives. Their sons are superior because they bought houses? She must be entirely clueless about what goes on in the world. Lots of people are making the world a better place and none of them are Maxwells.

What a hypocrite. I was browsing through the past mom and dad's corners and here is what Steve and Teri defined as "judging":

"It is judging that involves personal pride and condemnation of the other." (From "Pharisee Don't Wanna Be," Feb. 2014)

Yet she makes this statement in this month's "corner":

"So many of the youth of today are hopeless."

Hmm. Sounds like a judgement to me. And it contains absolutely no backing by scripture. I could even argue that personal pride is involved because the whole corner is about how they have published books about how to raise your sons to not be a part of the "hopeless" youth.

I can't even begin to engage her concern over anti-depressants. God forbid one of her children be clinically depressed, or have any other mental issue. Would they feel comfortable talking to their parents about emotional issues or depression? Or would their parents shame them for daring to be ungrateful? I don't even want to think about it.

Hopeless - like your 31 (32?) year old daughter who has no marketable skills and no marriage prospects, whose soul is dying a little bit everyday.

Don't you fucking speak to me about "hopeless" Teri Maxwell. You have made your own children "hopeless" with the lifestyle you forced upon them.

She really is a stone bitch. She and Stevehovah deserve each other, but their poor kids didn't deserve to strike out twice in the parental lottery.

Hopeless - like your 31 (32?) year old daughter who has no marketable skills and no marriage prospects, whose soul is dying a little bit everyday.

Don't you fucking speak to me about "hopeless" Teri Maxwell. You have made your own children "hopeless" with the lifestyle you forced upon them.

Agree!!

That's true, at my house we were just talking about this.

As a Christ follower, I've never seen another group bash anti-depressants like the Christians do. They have no idea what they're talking about, and always assume it's a faith based issue. I got along with the Christian homeschoolers I used to know, but this was the one thing that made me super uncomfortable to be around them. Mental illness has been in my family for at least 4 generations, it's not a this generation thing.

I think it's to the point that it runs in mainstream American culture too though - possibly more of the original Puritan influence or what, I don't know. But plenty of otherwise non-religious people too will insist that taking mental illness related medication is just "drugging your problems away" or otherwise just some sort of "crutch" that if you really had willpower, you would be able to buck up and live without.

People don't feel the same way about insulin or other drugs that have to be taken for chronic body-pathway issues.

Though even when it comes to regular pain medication, you'll find plenty of people who think you should just suffer, that somehow it's more noble to put up with pain rather than take something for it.

One of my dogs, when first adopted, had a pretty dramatic resource-guarding issue. This usually sweet, gentle dog, who I trusted to sleep in my arms, changed if he had something of value and thought someone would take it away.

He would back into a corner, growling defensively.

That's what I picture Teri and Steve doing from their "Corners."

You've backed yourselves into that corner, Maxwells -- blaming others and being self-righteous won't change a thing.

Wellbutrin literally saved my life. Anyone who has issues with that can suck it.

I've always felt bad for Teri precisely because she suffered such severe untreated depression. I would marry my celexa if I could.

Her three daughters have done nothing with their lives. Their sons are superior because they bought houses? She must be entirely clueless about what goes on in the world. Lots of people are making the world a better place and none of them are Maxwells.

See now? This is where your slippery slope leads to when you breach the sanctity of one man-one woman marriage! :lol:

Yes, but where are going when you die?

I'm sure Teri realised that her children aren't as successful as they like to make out. I'm sure she sees that they could have taken a different path that could have been easier and had better results but she's justified it by promising herself it will all be better in the afterlife.

I would marry my celexa if I could.

Heh. I'm reminded of the first time I ever had serious narcotic pain medication prescribed - never had the stuff in my life, suddenly in horrible pain due to crushed nerves, go to the doctor, get the "well, you need to just wait it out for it to heal, but in the meantime..." prescription, get it filled, take one, 30 minutes later life is bearable again, and I'm thinking "OKAY, I understand why people will pay any amount of money or do crimes to obtain this magic!!" because yeah. Seriously.

Science.

For me, it meant the difference of "can't do anything, just trying not to cry" and "hey, still need to basically be on bedrest but wow my brain is usable and so I can actually do work from home." So yeah. Productivity, even.

Yes, but where are going when you die?

I'm sure Teri realised that her children aren't as successful as they like to make out. I'm sure she sees that they could have taken a different path that could have been easier and had better results but she's justified it by promising herself it will all be better in the afterlife.

"There's pie in the sky when you die" don'cha know. :snooty:

Seriously, she's got to know the meaning of hopeless every single day. It's the same ol' shit, different day in the Maxwell household. She can't change her life, she can't have a Pepsi, she can't take antidepressants, she's got adult children at home who don't look like they are going anywhere because of the insular life foisted on them. She probably remembers well when life was normal, her husband had a decent job, she had only four kids, she could probably go out and do a lot more. All went to hell when Steveovah went down the rabbithole and instead of telling him to get a grip or else, the whole family's life has been for the worse.

Wellbutrin literally saved my life. Anyone who has issues with that can suck it.

Wellbutrin is a gift of the Gods (says the woman who has taken it for 20 years and counting),

She really is a stone bitch. She and Stevehovah deserve each other, but their poor kids didn't deserve to strike out twice in the parental lottery.

So true!!

Some years back, the "Can This Marriage Be Saved?" Feature in Ladies ' Home Journal was about a husband like Stevehovah--after years of marriage and a couple of kids, he went super-religious and wanted to reverse his vasectomy. The upshot from his wife was HELL NO on the reversal, but accommodation of his newfound piety (a prayer-closet type room in their house). I mentioned this to my sister, a LCSW who works with the mentally ill, and she said that the couple's counselor had missed the boat--that sudden hyperreligiosity can be a sign of a severe underlying problem.

I'm still trying to find an anti depressant that doesn't make the room spin. You have no idea how much I envy those of you who have success with them.

Some years back, the "Can This Marriage Be Saved?" Feature in Ladies ' Home Journal was about a husband like Stevehovah--after years of marriage and a couple of kids, he went super-religious and wanted to reverse his vasectomy. The upshot from his wife was HELL NO on the reversal, but accommodation of his newfound piety (a prayer-closet type room in their house). I mentioned this to my sister, a LCSW who works with the mentally ill, and she said that the couple's counselor had missed the boat--that sudden hyperreligiosity can be a sign of a severe underlying problem.

I seem to remember reading that story!!

Wellbutrin is a gift of the Gods (says the woman who has taken it for 20 years and counting),

Seriously, thank God for modern pharmaceuticals. My lifesavers are Lexapro and Seroquel, the latter in particular. I wonder which Teri would consider the lesser of two evils, anti-psychotics or vodka? Because the former keeps me from consuming mass quantities of the latter. And self-harm. And going from zero to suicidal within the space of an hour over trivial things.

People who rag on basic treatment for mental illness can just go suck some huge dry desert rocks, honestly. What total assholes. :disgust:

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396712237.081157.jpg[/attachment]

I hope the pic size is ok, but yeah...

Hands down, my favorite part of Portlandia! :D

I seem to remember reading that story!!

I knew someone whose husband turned hyper religious. All of a sudden she could only wear skirts, she was no longer considered an equal partner and oh yes, she would have to quit her job and stay home. The job that was helping keep the family financially afloat. Plus have more kids because birth control was evil. She ultimately choose divorce over going along with this. I think she realized that there was more going on with him and she tried to get him to see a counselor but he refused. She went herself and decided after a few months to call it quits. Later on I heard the now ex-husband snapped out of it and regretted it but by this time, she had moved on and remarried.

Regarding antidepressants, I have never taken them but there were probably moments in my life where they could have helped. I wouldn't hesitate to take them in the future if needed.

I'm still trying to find an anti depressant that doesn't make the room spin. You have no idea how much I envy those of you who have success with them.

Trying out antidepressants can be such a frustrating experience. It took me four different drugs before the Wellbutrin, and the Wellbutrin came about because my sister had had such success with it. I figured if we have similar mental illness issues (most likely inherited from my mother -every female in that family for three generations has had a large number of signs and symptoms of depression and severe anxiety) then maybe the medication that was working so well for my sister would work for me. And lo, the nagging little voice in the back of my head that urged me to kill myself if I failed to exist perfectly suddenly disappeared for the first time since 1984.

Tl;dr: Please keep trying to find a regimen that works with your brain chemistry. You deserve to experience the fullness of life and the beauty that is inherent in the world and in yourself.

Edited because I can grammar, lol.

If Teri wants to change her life she can. She could have a Pepsi if she wanted to she just chooses not to. I don't feel sorry for her because she went right alone with Steve's bullshit. She could've said no and/or leave but she went right along with it. I'm sure she regrets her life now!

Trying out antidepressants can be such a frustrating experience. It took me four different drugs before the Wellbutrin, and the Wellbutrin came about because my sister had had such success with it. I figured if we have similar mental illness issues (most likely inherited from my mother -every female in that family for three generations has had a large number of signs and symptoms of depression and severe anxiety) then maybe the medication that was working so well for my sister would work for me. And lo, the nagging little voice in the back of my head that urged me to kill myself if I failed to exist perfectly suddenly disappeared for the first time since 1984.

Tl;dr: Please keep trying to find a regimen that works with your brain chemistry. You deserve to experience the fullness of life and the beauty that is inherent in the world and in yourself.

Edited because I can grammar, lol.

I understand that finding the right anti-depressant can be hell. I gained so much weight, had so many "fuzzy head/feel off balance" days going through the starting and the withdrawal phases. But it was worth it. (and ironically, caffeinated pop helps a lot with those symptoms (and still does if I miss a dose or two) - Teri would be just beside herself!)

Opposite from 16thcentmargot, Wellbutrin works wonderfully for me. But my sister was on the opposite class of drugs (can never keep them straight) so we tried those first. Um, no. And no, and no again. But it's worth going through it - because feeling "normal" is such a great feeling. Hang in there!

I wonder how Teri would be if she had proper medications. Anti-depressants, anxiety meds and proper pain meds/ treatments for her back.

I have all these and I certainly won't go back to life with out them. I was miserable. I thank my doctor every time I get my prescriptions renewed.

Archived