IGNORED

Teri Maxwell is such a bitch

SPHASH

There's so much ignorance about mental health/depression, even from people like Teri Maxwell who herself is a sufferer. She should know better.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt Terri has ever had proper treatment to know the difference. Even some fundie lite churches preach that depression, anxiety, etc, are proof of not trusting God enough and are sins.

Seriously, thank God for modern pharmaceuticals. My lifesavers are Lexapro and Seroquel, the latter in particular. I wonder which Teri would consider the lesser of two evils, anti-psychotics or vodka? Because the former keeps me from consuming mass quantities of the latter. And self-harm. And going from zero to suicidal within the space of an hour over trivial things.

People who rag on basic treatment for mental illness can just go suck some huge dry desert rocks, honestly. What total assholes. :disgust:

I often think how lucky I am to have been born when I was. I have a great-grandfather and a great-great aunt who died in mental institutions with "intractable melancholia" and an older aunt who is crippled with agoraphobia. (In other words, I come from a long line of crazy, in that fine southern tradition.)

How different would all their lives have been if they had access to the meds I do?

We wonder what the outcome would have been if every family who read Preparing Sons decided to follow the advice it contained. How many young men would be free of addictions to entertainment?

Says the woman whose family BLOGS every.single.aspect.of.their.lives. Is that not an addiction to entertainment?

The blog. I do think it has become an idol.

I doubt Terri has ever had proper treatment to know the difference. Even some fundie lite churches preach that depression, anxiety, etc, are proof of not trusting God enough and are sins.

Preaching to the choir here: it's not always easy to find the right anti-depressant but it's at least worth trying. If you find the right one - yes, it's a magic bullet!

For newcomers to the Maxwells, one of the things that has always pissed me off the most about them is Teri's Moms Corner on the "Journey through Depression" back in 2000 ,and Steve's sanctimonious presentation of himself as the heroic husband in the corresponding Dad's Corner.

Thanks to Steve actively discouraging Teri to get real help, her long-term clinical depression was treated with: some OTC natural progesterone cream, exercise, ear plugs so she could sleep better, an hour of biblical counseling with some Pastor's wife, and Steve gradually taking more and responsibility away from her, which also means taking more and more power away from her, while touting himself as such a wonderful, caring and understanding husband and father. Remember, once Steve put them on a schedule the kids pretty much educated each other doing work books, with a little academic help from Steve when he had time. Teri was basically non-functional for years.

Steve's vasectomy was because of Teri's inability to function properly due to her severe depression, and they admit that. However, he reversed it, because God told him to, when Teri was still too over-whelmed and depressed to take care of the three children they already had properly. :roll:

Teri Maxwell lost a good 15+ years of her life to untreated depression but I don't think she is depressed today. Menopause took care of the hormonal imbalances she claims - so time, not God, "cured" her. She definitely falls into the cold-hearted (I don't want to insult my female dog) territory these days. Her viciousness about anti-depressants today is probably denial regarding those lost years.

I'm a childfree woman and I'm probably more clued in on today's youth than Teri Maxwell.

Same here.

Teri Maxwell should write a book called Misery Loves Company

For me it was more than typical startup symptoms, though I had those too. I mean that the walls and room literally stared moving, like thing to play a new video game on an old computer where the images won't load properly and the lag is just HORRIBLE. After about 2 weeks of hat nonsense, I have up on that particular pill. 3 pills later, I still haven found one that doesn't produce this affect.

I am getting rather discouraged.

For me it was more than typical startup symptoms, though I had those too. I mean that the walls and room literally stared moving, like thing to play a new video game on an old computer where the images won't load properly and the lag is just HORRIBLE. After about 2 weeks of hat nonsense, I have up on that particular pill. 3 pills later, I still haven found one that doesn't produce this affect.

Aw I'm sorry to hear that. With my anxiety depression I've been on 3 different meds at different times for a little over a decade now. I've had great luck with 2 and the other that just made me super paranoid and even more miserable. I wish you luck in the journey of finding something that works.

Keep trying! I felt that way when I took SSRI's - turns out I needed something else.

Hmm. I did being that up to the doctor but he still wants to try more ssris. Guess I just have to be patient.

He's the medical expert but it is your body and mind this is messing with. If you feel like you want to try a different family of drugs, tell him. You have a right to have a say in this!

I went through that with a different class of drug and asked why were trying everything in the book except what the pharmacist had recommended. (More politely than that of course.) He said he had a protocol. I said OK may I have a copy so I know where we're going?

He thought a minute, then he asked oh the pharmacist asked why we didn't just try med x? I said yes. He said here are some samples of it. Call if it works and I'll fax in a prescription. I've been on it 10 years now. I never did find out how many other things he planned to try before getting to the "magic" pill.

He's the medical expert but it is your body and mind this is messing with. If you feel like you want to try a different family of drugs, tell him. You have a right to have a say in this!

I'm NOT a medical professional - but Wellbutrin is not an SSRI, and perhaps you can discuss trying it with your doctor.

Preaching to the choir here: it's not always easy to find the right anti-depressant but it's at least worth trying. If you find the right one - yes, it's a magic bullet!

For newcomers to the Maxwells, one of the things that has always pissed me off the most about them is Teri's Moms Corner on the "Journey through Depression" back in 2000 ,and Steve's sanctimonious presentation of himself as the heroic husband in the corresponding Dad's Corner.

Thanks to Steve actively discouraging Teri to get real help, her long-term clinical depression was treated with: some OTC natural progesterone cream, exercise, ear plugs so she could sleep better, an hour of biblical counseling with some Pastor's wife, and Steve gradually taking more and responsibility away from her, which also means taking more and more power away from her, while touting himself as such a wonderful, caring and understanding husband and father. Remember, once Steve put them on a schedule the kids pretty much educated each other doing work books, with a little academic help from Steve when he had time. Teri was basically non-functional for years.

Steve's vasectomy was because of Teri's inability to function properly due to her severe depression, and they admit that. However, he reversed it, because God told him to, when Teri was still too over-whelmed and depressed to take care of the three children they already had properly. :roll:

Teri Maxwell lost a good 15+ years of her life to untreated depression but I don't think she is depressed today. Menopause took care of the hormonal imbalances she claims - so time, not God, "cured" her. She definitely falls into the cold-hearted (I don't want to insult my female dog) territory these days. Her viciousness about anti-depressants today is probably denial regarding those lost years.

This makes me wonder about Sarah and Teri's relationship in a way I never have before. If Teri was basically non-functional while Steve was at work, that means Sarah had to take care of herself from a young age, and most likely take care of the older boys' meals and the cleaning, considering the gender roles in that house. There are teenagers who have had to do this for whatever reason, and it seems that they have trouble becoming "kids" again afterwards, and listening to their parents. So how does Teri tell a 32-year-old woman what to do, when that 32 year old had a lot more independence as a twelve year old? I wonder if there is some tension as to who is the "lady of the manor" in Maxhell. Perhaps Teri's depression also fed Sarah's hero view of her father, since he was the one who swooped down every evening and "fixed" everything.

For those of you who have followed the Maxwells longer than I have, are there any anecdotes that give more insight into this?

I'm NOT a medical professional - but Wellbutrin is not an SSRI, and perhaps you can discuss trying it with your doctor.

I know that.... that's why I'm really hoping he'll prescribe it, to see if it works...

another thing the doctor is hung up on is that most SSRIs often help with anxiety AND depression, and he is trying to treat both. However, it's not working for either issue, and, this is going to sound dumb but... I'm too depressed to even use the phone. fuck, I haven't even been ANSWERING the phone. I've always hated phones, but it's just getting worse.

How does terri think god helped with this?God never helped me with anything, and believe me, I tried it. I...

I know that.... that's why I'm really hoping he'll prescribe it, to see if it works...

another thing the doctor is hung up on is that most SSRIs often help with anxiety AND depression, and he is trying to treat both. However, it's not working for either issue, and, this is going to sound dumb but... I'm too depressed to even use the phone. fuck, I haven't even been ANSWERING the phone. I've always hated phones, but it's just getting worse.

How does terri think god helped with this?God never helped me with anything, and believe me, I tried it. I...

Honey, that does not sound dumb in the least. I completely understand. In fact, one of my 'warning signs' that my depression is becoming worse is starting to purposely avoid answering the phone. Hang in there, I know it sounds trite, but things really do get better once they get your medication figured out. Don't give up hope!

Teri, I accepte Jesus a long time ago. You know not what you say. If not for Celexa and Ativan, I would be bitchzilla, and suffer from severe vertigo and panic attacks. Those are legitimate medical issues. So fuck you, you fundie bitch!

Honey, that does not sound dumb in the least. I completely understand. In fact, one of my 'warning signs' that my depression is becoming worse is starting to purposely avoid answering the phone. Hang in there, I know it sounds trite, but things really do get better once they get your medication figured out. Don't give up hope!

He may be hesitant to try Wellbutrin if you have anxiety along with depression because it can make the anxiety worse. I have the kind of depression where the more depressed I get the less anxious I get - true apathy is the best description I can think of. Wellbutrin has worked amazingly well for me, but I know a number of people who had their anxiety get worse. However, some of them were helped by mixing the Wellbutrin with another class of drugs.

Honestly, at this point if you are not working with a psychiatrist, I'd ask for a referral. They are the ones who are experts in pharmapsychology and you may save yourself several months of trial and error.

I often think how lucky I am to have been born when I was. I have a great-grandfather and a great-great aunt who died in mental institutions with "intractable melancholia" and an older aunt who is crippled with agoraphobia. (In other words, I come from a long line of crazy, in that fine southern tradition.)

How different would all their lives have been if they had access to the meds I do?[/quote]

Oh me too. My paternal grandmother's whole family was one big mental train wreck, and from grinding poverty in the hills of Eastern KY on top of that. Her younger sister was a smart, funny, absolute beauty whose whole life was just one huge drama or tragedy after another, and she ended up an alcoholic and addicted to prescription meds. She died when she was only 39, so sad. My dad and I think she might have been bipolar. Nana had anxiety that ran rampant her entire life, all very plainly tied to childhood traumas and abuse, but she would never see a psychiatrist because "only crazy people need those."

This makes me wonder about Sarah and Teri's relationship in a way I never have before. If Teri was basically non-functional while Steve was at work, that means Sarah had to take care of herself from a young age, and most likely take care of the older boys' meals and the cleaning, considering the gender roles in that house. There are teenagers who have had to do this for whatever reason, and it seems that they have trouble becoming "kids" again afterwards, and listening to their parents. So how does Teri tell a 32-year-old woman what to do, when that 32 year old had a lot more independence as a twelve year old? I wonder if there is some tension as to who is the "lady of the manor" in Maxhell. Perhaps Teri's depression also fed Sarah's hero view of her father, since he was the one who swooped down every evening and "fixed" everything.

For those of you who have followed the Maxwells longer than I have, are there any anecdotes that give more insight into this?

I have never gotten the impression that Sarah was ever independent when Teri was depressed...er, more depressed than she is now and pretty much non-functional. I definitely got the impression that Sarah was doing most of the housework and Teri used to pick at her, be overly critical and tear down her efforts. If Sarah didn't rebel or run during what must have been some awful years, especially as a young teenager, she'll never leave now.

I have never gotten the impression that Sarah was ever independent when Teri was depressed...er, more depressed than she is now and pretty much non-functional. I definitely got the impression that Sarah was doing most of the housework and Teri used to pick at her, be overly critical and tear down her efforts. If Sarah didn't rebel or run during what must have been some awful years, especially as a young teenager, she'll never leave now.

I thought about Teri's depression while reading the Moody books. Mama Moody is either pregnant or taking care of newborn twins during the early books, but even considering the circumstances, it seems that the woman just isn't there. The Moody kids have to fix their own breakfast, do morning Bible study themselves, take care of the four-year-old sister, etc. I couldn't help but wonder if this was how things were during Teri's depression, with all the worst aspects of it taken out because a) it's a children's book, and b) these are the Maxwells.

Is this a primary care doctor? If so, please, consider a psychiatrist to do the med management, one who will work with a therapist. FWIW, I had great success with Wellbutrin. I was on it for about a year, and between that and therapy, my recovery from depression was much more successful than I ever dreamed possible. I would not hesitate to go back on it again. I have been through major depressive episodes with an without any help, medically or therapy-wise, and with the help of both. I can't imagine doing it again without.

That Terri has the balls to criticize people who get help: I think she's jealous that other people had options that Steve refused her. Steve once e-mailed me in response to a comment I left on the blog regarding anti-depressant use. Basically, he told me I was wrong for considering the use of medication when all you need is Jesus. I don't think I saved the reply, but it pissed me off. If we can use all other sorts of modern conveniences, like electricity and modern transportation, why not meds?

Basically a gp referred me to the psych department. I talked to a psych rise mostly and then a psych doctor came into the room. For some strange reason they didn't seem to think I needed therapy.

Also, the building is hard to get to. The city bus doesn't go there and I don't have a car. (I can drive, just can't afford it.)

At his pint I'd rather to somewhere else but I have no idea where that'd be.

Archived