IGNORED

Duggar/Bates Honeymoons

Kelsey

So, we've seen a wide range of honeymoons from Josh's SC honeymoon to the Bates kids Ireland and Hawaii trips, and I seem to remember a new couple doing a cruise.

The question is

Will the Bates continue with the "flashy" trips for Michael and Alyssa after their big day?

Will the Duggars step it up for Jessa and Jill?

(Assuming that all four couples get married of course)

I think Jill and Jessa will get nice honeymoons because TLC will be paying.

I think Jill and Jessa will get nice honeymoons because TLC will be paying.

But weren't they paying for smuggar's?

Douche Josh and OfJosh got married when 17 Kids and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP was new and the family wasn't super famous yet, so TLC most likely didn't want to drop so much money on their trips. The show probably brings in more revenue now, or at least will when the Duggar women start marrying because more people will be interested (sadly). So they'll get bigger and better honeymoons.

Plus the show produces probably just like Jessa and Jill more :D

But weren't they paying for smuggar's?

I think so... was his honeymoon not nice or something? I thought it was... :?

Josh's whole honeymoon was suppose to be inexpensive because the Duggars at that time were being seen as frugal. Josh constantly stressed how he and Anna would not be eating out or traveling much but buying used and saving the difference so they could have a big family.

One of my favorite parts of any Duggar episode is Josh's honeymoon fancy steak dinner, when he tells Anna, their honeymoon steak dinner is a once in a lifetime special night and they will not be eating out like that again! Oh how times have changed1

Didn't Anna's brother get married a week after Anna and wasn't Anna and Smugs in the wedding? That might have played a part in their honeymoon location.

Didn't Anna's brother get married a week after Anna and wasn't Anna and Smugs in the wedding? That might have played a part in their honeymoon location.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right.

Alyssa will because of her fiance, I am sure. After all, she got a pretty nice proposal too.

Michael may want something more low-key, so I can see hers being less flashy.

I think Jill's will be a "mission trip" where she goes to an exotic locale to "help people" on her honeymoon (though I can also see her actually helping as opposed to just poverty tourism)

I think with Jessa's they will try to pretend to still be frugal, especially if they try to set Ben up as the new JB. I don't think Jessa will want her honeymoon on TV too much, so they'll do a few things, get the shots, and probably spend more money on private activities.

Does Kelly coach the guys asking her daughters to court or suggest to them to make it memorable and romantic? Jessa barefoot in Jim Bob's office with three minutes notice was just odd. Is it Jim Bob and Michelle have zero romance in their souls? Personally I think the Bates family goes a bit too wild on the romance but there has to be some middle ground of least knowing to dress up a little and possibly more privacy like the parents being out of ear range.

One thought: Josh and Anna were 20 on their honeymoon. It is damn near impossible to rent a car under the age of 25. So they either had to drive to the honeymoon themselves or go somewhere with adequate public transportation, which is likely a city (liberal and expensive).

Chad and Zach are old enough to rent cars, so the options were a lot more open. Jill and Derick could probably do a similar trip, but Ben and Jessa can't for a few more years.

I wouldn't be surprised if Alyssa & John went on a cruise or did a caribbean vacation. A cruise would be pretty cheap for them considering they will probably already be in FL and they don't drink.

One thought: Josh and Anna were 20 on their honeymoon. It is damn near impossible to rent a car under the age of 25. So they either had to drive to the honeymoon themselves or go somewhere with adequate public transportation, which is likely a city (liberal and expensive).

Chad and Zach are old enough to rent cars, so the options were a lot more open. Jill and Derick could probably do a similar trip, but Ben and Jessa can't for a few more years.

Smuggar rented a car when he flew to Florida to propose to Anna. So either TLC rented it for him, or he managed the nearly impossible. (I was always told one had to be 25 to rent a car, so my guess is TLC did it.)

Renting a car at 21 isn't that difficult any more. What may happen though is a daily surcharge and a limited range of cars to choose from. Most of the major rental agencies have a provision for that. 18 and trying to rent a car is a very different matter.

Yes, I'm under 25 and have rented cars a few times since turning 21. It's possible to get around the under-25 fees if you look - Hertz often has deals that will waive the fee for 21+.

That said, always always print out the deal you use if that's the case. Despite using the code when I booked my car, I once had them not have it listed on my return. I had the print out of the deal info + my booking confirmation, so it all worked out.

Maybe Lawson will get a break and the Bates will beg their wedding guests for donations again instead.

Doesn't the groom's family typically pay for the honeymoon? Lawson is probably breathing a sigh of relief that he doesn't have any engaged brothers.

Doesn't the groom's family typically pay for the honeymoon? Lawson is probably breathing a sigh of relief that he doesn't have any engaged brothers.

I always thought the couple paid for their own honeymoon.

I always thought that too. I guess it depends on the couple.

I think so... was his honeymoon not nice or something? I thought it was... :?

It's not that it wasn't nice. Just more low key than the others.....and the Duggars like to frame the Bates as their Southern Hillbilly Counterparts.

I agree that Jill and Derick will go on a mission trip honeymoon (like the Pecan thief did--didn't they go to Romania?). I can see them visiting the Central American missions the Duggars always go to, combined with some days at a beach resort.

A cruise departing from Florida sounds like a good bet for John & Alyssa.

Damn, if we'd known someone else was supposed to pay, maybe we could have had one...

Says Louisa05, married nearly five years and still hoping we can some day take a vacation together that lasts longer than 3.5 days (with most of two spent driving).

I always thought that too. I guess it depends on the couple.

In the case of the Bateses, they pass a plate and the ppl attending the wedding get to pay for the honeymoon.

(or maybe it was Lawson was selling CDs. Anyway, I know the guests paid. They've gotta earn their olives and bologna skewers)

There are certain rental car companies that will rent to under 25. Some have an extra charge or force you to take the insurance. My husband and I both flew around the country for grad school interviews at 21-22, and we had to double check policies before booking but each city usually had a few options for under 25's. the BIG issue is you need a credit card to rent a car. You can't use a pre-paid credit card. So I would think it wasn't Josh's age but the lack of a credit card.

It is one thing the Duggar don't mention about their cash haggling. Every hotel or rental car place has asked me for a major credit card. While some will take a debit card, they usually place a hold on funds $100-500+ for up to a week which many people find frustrating. What about so many banks after the target scare lowering debit card spending per day. How do the Duggars book 20 planes tickets with a debit card? or pay for expenses on the road. Does Jim bob carry 10k in cash? When they traveled to DC in Josh's move, they had 7 buses and Suv's. Gas and food had to be in the thousands every 24 hour period.

I get the feeling we didn't get to see when Ben really popped the courtship question to Jessa. Jessa has always struck me as more private, so I'm sure that the actual moment was more romantic, and that Jessa is keeping that quiet while they did a sham of a recreation for the TV show.

Archived