IGNORED

19 Kids & Courting - Duggar Snark for Season 8

happy atheist

I agree. It just struck me as odd that a twenty four year old adult would eagerly want to do a talent show for their parents. It comes off as rather juvenile, IMO. Helping the younger ones do this? Sure, but I do not think that is angle she was going for. All the kids will be involved and actively participate in the show. All fifty billion of them.

I heard talent show and my mind went straight to a Brady Bunch episode. Wonder if Josh will be Johnny Bravo? :lol:

I very much doubt the talent show was Jana's idea - it's a TLC storyline

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I very much doubt the talent show was Jana's idea - it's a TLC storyline

Sure, but that's all the more reason to talk about it in terms of the little kids. "It was raining, we thought it'd be something fun for the little kids." "Johannah wanted us to make them costumes." Whatever. Not, "We wanted to do something for our parents before we all got married." So juvenile and weird. Does not even compute.

Interesting thing in the Joy scene. When she was trying to wrangle the little kids into practicing, she say "Please Obey" not "please listen to me, or follow directions, they truly do treat the children like dogs." Also, Jackson reveals that the only parental figure they have is Jana, saying something to the effect of "if Joy has to call Jana, you know you're in trouble"

I noticed this scene too. I heard Joy as saying "instantly obey" to Jenny which is Pearl language if I'm not mistaken. (Not to say the Duggars use Pearl discipline in every sense of the word.)

Also, at the very beginning of this scene I heard Joy say "Jackson, no sir" to try to get him to stop playing on the slide. I've heard them instruct children by saying "no ma'am" but this is the first time I've heard the male version.

It's interesting to watch the children display the parenting styles of their parents.

Sure, but that's all the more reason to talk about it in terms of the little kids. "It was raining, we thought it'd be something fun for the little kids." "Johannah wanted us to make them costumes." Whatever. Not, "We wanted to do something for our parents before we all got married." So juvenile and weird. Does not even compute.

Okay, that makes sense. I haven't actually seen the episode yet so I didn't see how it was presented, although presenting it like that could also be TLC's attempt to make this season All About Courtship.

There was something very sad about the chess playing scene. She even said she's been so busy being pregnant and having babies that this is new and different for her. He seemed like a really sweet kid.

I noticed this scene too. I heard Joy as saying "instantly obey" to Jenny which is Pearl language if I'm not mistaken. (Not to say the Duggars use Pearl discipline in every sense of the word.)

Also, at the very beginning of this scene I heard Joy say "Jackson, no sir" to try to get him to stop playing on the slide. I've heard them instruct children by saying "no ma'am" but this is the first time I've heard the male version.

It's interesting to watch the children display the parenting styles of their parents.

Whatever techniques the Duggars use, those kids did not show any fear. They were either unable or unwilling to sit still and pay attention. The little girls are following in the footsteps of their howler monkey older brothers.

Delurking to say I thought I heard "instantly obey," too, and was completely disturbed by it. I immediately assumed it's some kind of hideous Pearl-related trigger-phrase. It's obvious that this was not the first time those kids had heard it before. Creepy creepy creepy.

Mama Seewald should hang out with Mama Rodriquez since they are both wannabees.

Guest LilaFowler
YMMV but I find Jessa cold. I don't think she's that into Ben and I can't see why he can see it.

Agreed. They're so weird.

Episode 2 Part 3

Joshieville

Anna is trying to build the playhouse. Its apparently very hard. She needs a drill. Mac falls over stuff. Mike doesnt like the sound the drill makes. If she can build it she knows josh will be surprised.

Mac is a "big helper" mac says marcus was awake but was too little to help.

They actually build it (in 2 hours) and they eat lunch. Anna's shirt doesnt hide her mike well and her makeup is awful. There is a shot of the deck - camper parked on the grass. The yard is a mess

Apropos of almost nothing except, I'm glad they're barely even fronting the "buy used, save the diff" crap on us now that they've got oodles of TLC cash. That playhouse box was brand new & it sells for $259!(http://www.step2.com/p/My-Clubhouse)

And that wasn't an Aldi with a souped up shopping cart for l'il Jenny to ride in style...

Delurking to say I thought I heard "instantly obey," too, and was completely disturbed by it. I immediately assumed it's some kind of hideous Pearl-related trigger-phrase. It's obvious that this was not the first time those kids had heard it before. Creepy creepy creepy.

From the Pearl .To Train Up a Child" Intro - "These truths are not new, deep insights from the professional world of research, rather, the same principles the Amish use to train their stubborn mules"

Jebus Christ on Toast Points! What fresh hell is this?

Guest LilaFowler
Why would dry hump your wife in front of them Jimbob? What happen to the purity thang? Why are defrauding them? NIKE DAMN IT

That really disgusted me. Why would you do that in front of your child? Then add in the fact that they're young people with desires who aren't allowed to act on them.

How can JD be an effective business owner when he's spends a lot of time filming for TLC? And, I agree with those who said a college isn't for everyone and that there's nothing wrong with blue collar jobs. Heck, that describes my parents. Both of my parents quit school. Daddy got a good paying job at a factory, and Mama was cosmetologist. She quit a couple of months before I was born and never went back to work. She loved being a SAHM, and Daddy earned enough to provide for us. Of course they only had 2 kids not a dozen+.

I'm not defending the Duggar's (lack) of discipline or their reprehensible parenting, but the bolded may just be a southern thing. I'm a huge fan of positive parenting and couldn't imagine ever spanking my kids at all, but we do live in the south and I do teach my kids to address adults as Ma'am and Sir.**

Because that is part of our everyday vocabulary, sometimes when when I'm reminding them about some other form of polite behavior it is not uncommon for me to say to them "No Ma'am! You know we don't jump on the couch like that!" Actually, I usually don't even have to add the second part - a simple "no ma'am" lets them know that whatever they're doing isn't appropriate.

I'd hate to think someone who heard me say that in public would think I was following some kind of Pearlesque crap, but I guess they might if we were travelling or they "warn't from around here." :D

**I know it can sound odd to those in other places, and I'm not interested in stirring up that debate, but around here other adults - especially older ones - find it much more polite and there's no harm done, IMO. I'm not trying to teach them any sort of subservient behavior, just that these are the social norms and they should follow them in polite society as long as it isn't hurting them or anyone else. I'm in my 40's and call older adults I don't know well Ma'am and Sir.

That really disgusted me. Why would you do that in front of your child? Then add in the fact that they're young people with desires who aren't allowed to act on them.

I couldn't believe what I was viewing last night. Modesty? Purity? Not!

The only point I would disagree with you is Jessa doesn't even desire to hold hands... :?

I used to say "No Sir" to my son when he was little. I don't think that's exclusive of any particular type of discipline technique.

I'm not defending the Duggar's (lack) of discipline or their reprehensible parenting, but the bolded may just be a southern thing. I'm a huge fan of positive parenting and couldn't imagine ever spanking my kids at all, but we do live in the south and I do teach my kids to address adults as Ma'am and Sir.**

Because that is part of our everyday vocabulary, sometimes when when I'm reminding them about some other form of polite behavior it is not uncommon for me to say to them "No Ma'am! You know we don't jump on the couch like that!" Actually, I usually don't even have to add the second part - a simple "no ma'am" lets them know that whatever they're doing isn't appropriate.

I'd hate to think someone who heard me say that in public would think I was following some kind of Pearlesque crap, but I guess they might if we were travelling or they "warn't from around here." :D

**I know it can sound odd to those in other places, and I'm not interested in stirring up that debate, but around here other adults - especially older ones - find it much more polite and there's no harm done, IMO. I'm not trying to teach them any sort of subservient behavior, just that these are the social norms and they should follow them in polite society as long as it isn't hurting them or anyone else. I'm in my 40's and call older adults I don't know well Ma'am and Sir.

This. We also use "Mr., Ms., and Mrs." in front of first names. It's just how we were raised.

I loved the scene in the 1st season of Downton Abbey when Isobel Crawley is meeting the Dowager Countess for the first time:

Isobel Crawley: "What should we call each other?"

Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess of Grantham: "Well, we could always start with Mrs Crawley and Lady Grantham."

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I really don't think that Jessa is "cold" or "using Ben" or any of those things. Jessa is not a showy person. She is uncomfortable on camera, but most comfortable in the THs (possibly because it's not a "one shot" deal). She's forced to enact her entire courtship on camera and be the center of attention. And, she's also forced to watch her parents make asses of themselves in front of someone she wants to marry. That would make anyone appear cold and distant. Plus, she knows she's supposed to be getting ready to marry him, but she's not given the opportunity to get to know him on a personal basis, which probably really adds to the strain. I mean they can't even have inside jokes.

Also, without all that, I'm sure she'd still be the same regardless of how much she loved him. Jessa and I have very similar personalities. Regardless of how much I like a guy, I'm not going to be all lovey dovey or anything like that. I am very much like Jessa in relationships.

Also, as for his mom going to the wedding, I'm sure it was to "make sure the courting kids were properly chaperoned." If the family wanted to be ATI, they all would have gone.

Last season, I saw store bought laundry soap in the laundry room. :o

Apropos of almost nothing except, I'm glad they're barely even fronting the "buy used, save the diff" crap on us now that they've got oodles of TLC cash. That playhouse box was brand new & it sells for $259!(http://www.step2.com/p/My-Clubhouse)

And that wasn't an Aldi with a souped up shopping cart for l'il Jenny to ride in style...

Episode 2 part 3

Joy pulls a white SUV into a parking lot. They're shopping for pickles. It comes from michelles side of the family... she really likes pickles (seriously, do they not know what they're saying???" She's been eating them since she was little

Apparently the veggie garden went away with the cats because they're loading up on cucumbers. Michelle says that Jill is ready to lead the "diverse" group at the complicated and dangerous wilderness of Harps supermarket that has a little car the little can ride in.

Back to the mini golf. Boob asks about holding hands. Ben says that maybe as they get deeper maybe. Jessa doesnt think theres anything wrong with it because she's not touchy feely. Boob demands prior knowledge.

Off to hit balls! Boob kisses her. Michelle yells "Public display of affection" Boob gets behind her and simulates doggie style standing... knees bending and a bit of grinding. Ben is uncomfortable. Boob thinks its important that the kids see that "mommy and daddy love eachother." (I thought love and sex were different boobles?)

Boob tells them to watch but "dont try this at home atleast until you're married." Michelle TH says "but you cant do this yet!" in a sing song voice.

Boob asks about kissing. They agree to wait till they are married. Boob says its wise because kissing and touching can lead to other things. Jessa is actually wearing SHOES, not flip flops!

Boob gets a hole in 1 at hole 6.

Ben really sucks at mini golf. Boob feels bad for him "because it takes 20 strokes to get it in the hole." Michelle says "getting a little hot, ben?" Ben takes off his sweater.

Jessa TH - Ben hasnt played much mini golf. Boob says he just tries to "hit the ball and hit the ball"... Boob thinks it was good to see how he responds when things dont go well. Boob then cracks himself up so hard he leaves the TH.

Michelle is actually keeping score.

Ben thinks it was good because they got to see him handle pressure. Michelle announces the score, of course they won. Boob picks Michelle up, spins her around, sucks her face... Both ben and jessa walk away.

Jessa thinks the double date was special. Jessa thinks it was fun. Boob takes pictures on the iphone.

Yes, its important that kids see that their parents love eachother, but theyre making it sound like theyre calling eachother pet names and saying I love you in front of their five year old, not forcing their 20 year old and her boyfriend to watch them humping.

Michelle and Jimbob, do you like humiliating your kids??

I think they do though :(

It must be humiliating having those two as parents. Poor kids. Im not surprised Jessa doesn't like all the touchy feely stuff, poor woman is probably traumatized over having to watch her parents act like that for her whole life. At least there isn't going to be any hand sex in this courtship...

Jessa, please gain the confidence to tell your parents to fuck off and stop being such creepy, embarrassing losers. Once youre married, you can move away (or you can move out now-youre an adult and your parents legally cant stop you if you decide that you are going to move out), and say whatever you like to them and they cant do a thing to you, even when the camera crew isn't here.

I like Jessa cause she is the way she is, and it is so awesomely unfundie. If any of the girls is going to tell their parents that tormenting them over not being able to have sex before marriage is mean, or to stop embarrassing them in front of their boyfriend, its Jessa. They are being so cruel to her.

Im hopeful for her future. Jessa seems like the more dominant one in their relationship, and Ben seems to be okay with that. I hope he can cook, lol :D Hopefully this means she isn't going to have a million kids if she doesn't want to, even if its by telling Ben "No, go wank instead, I don't want a baby." or "Okay, I know you don't approve of the Pill, but we are not having another baby, lets use condoms".

I don't think we know exactly how much Jessa loves Ben-she might be completely different in private. She just isn't an emotional kind of person, and might feel embarrassed having to show affection in public. In private, with no cameras, talking to one of her sisters, where she feels comfortable and knows that nobody is watching and they aren't going to torment her for it like her parents do, she might be gushing over how much she loves him and stuff. I think its strange that she doesn't want to hold hands (unless she is worried about hand sex, lol), I hope for her sake, she doesn't have any issues from seeing her parents and older brother act like that, or from all the purity crap she has been fed. Im glad she is so dominant because going from 30 second side hugs to the intimacy a marriage allows in their culture is going to be really hard for someone who doesn't really like physical contact that much.

Im glad Jill has a decent guy, shes more sweet and naïve than Jessa is, and seems like the kind of girl who would be easy to take advantage of.

I loved when Jill was telling her parents that she and Derick were so much alike, and that they both planned on living out of the country someday. Girl's got her plan in place for jumping ship from the family and the country!

Free Jill!

Yikes! :shock: I followed the original Rodrigues thread off and on but never visited their site until now. Either those kids got some really poor genes or there's major abuse going on. Or both.

at the very least, they need braces. but of course jeebus will either cure their tooth problems, or it was gods will for them to have bad teeth :roll:

Mackynzie is adorable. Her talking heads cracked me up. I guess Jill is now engaged to Derrick. I was surprised that Ben and Jessa haven't announced their engagement. Haven't they been courting longer? I hope Jill moves far away from J'Chelle and Boob. She needs to live her own life.

Archived