IGNORED

Isaac Botkin engaged!

JemimaPuddle-Duck

Bumping to report that the Botkinettes have updated their long-dormant blog with the news of Isaac's engagement:

One of our favorite things about having so many brothers… is all the wonderful new sisters we keep getting! As of last week, another of our dearest friends is about to become family: Our brother Isaac just became engaged to Heidi Roach. Heidi has been a real inspiration to us over the years as an example of how a woman can be uncommonly strong, capable, sensible — one of those women who can cook for a hundred or organize a 4000-person event without breaking a sweat and then run help deliver a baby or two in the middle of the night — while also being uncommonly humble, meek, tenderhearted, funny, selfless, genuine, and sacrificial. “A virtuous woman,†says Proverbs 12:4, “is a crown to her husband,†and God has given Isaac a virtuous woman and crown indeed.

Mercy, she practically walks on water! :lol:

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.familyeconomics.com/143-2/meet-the-families/ There is a Roach family here from the Denver area, along with some other favorite families (Maxwells...Seppis.)

The father of the This Roach family is a founder of

generationswithvision.com/ and is involved with this conference familyeconomics.com/denver-conference/ that talks about creating a "family economy "

If I'm on the right track, her father , Bill, is an elder at Kevin Swanson's church at the reformationchurch.com/contact.htm

Not 100 percent sure this is the right roach family.

Big homeschoolers and fundies.

Did you see who ELSE was in the "meet the families" section? The STEVE MAXWELL family! :wtf:

Did you see who ELSE was in the "meet the families" section? The STEVE MAXWELL family! :wtf:

And the Alexanders - Meredith Hammer's parents & siblings.

Any Botkin can go and fuck themselves if they think they've got a shot at being PM here.

Our current PM is an agnostic ethnic Jew.

Our last two PMs have been female.

The guy who leads our Conservative party is a total joke and he's 1000 times more likeable and sane than any fucking Botkin.

:nenner: :nenner:

I do find it a little troubling that most of our talk here revolves around how depressing it is that the Botkin's younger brother is getting married before them and how they must be so upset. We have no idea whether or not they're upset, and we have no idea how in control of their possible suitors they are. Perhaps this is a 'devil you know' situation, considering it must be terrifying to them to have to live under control of someone they barely know. They're not Sarah Maxwell, they've traveled pretty extensively, their work in their father's ministry is a lot more intense than Sarah's, they have some stuff going on. I'm not denying that they have been denied important advantages by a controlling father, but I don't see what would be better for them if they got married and had babies. I do however see how things could get a whole lot worse for them, and I imagine they do too.

I do find it a little troubling that most of our talk here revolves around how depressing it is that the Botkin's younger brother is getting married before them and how they must be so upset. We have no idea whether or not they're upset, and we have no idea how in control of their possible suitors they are. Perhaps this is a 'devil you know' situation, considering it must be terrifying to them to have to live under control of someone they barely know. They're not Sarah Maxwell, they've traveled pretty extensively, their work in their father's ministry is a lot more intense than Sarah's, they have some stuff going on. I'm not denying that they have been denied important advantages by a controlling father, but I don't see what would be better for them if they got married and had babies. I do however see how things could get a whole lot worse for them, and I imagine they do too.

Neither here nor there, but Isaac is actually their oldest brother.

I agree with you, to some extent. Besides perhaps just not meeting the right person yet, I think two things could be holding them back. (based on what I know/have heard) 1. They are very happy in their family and "home". As the wife, marrying usually means moving to your husband's hometown. I could see it being very hard /sad to leave their family and sister especially. 2. I think they are quite happy with the father they have and consider him and their brothers to be really good and Godly men. If they hold the men in their family on pedestals, they might find other men to be lacking by comparison.

My thought is the fewer of these arranged marriages at young ages, the less able they are to reproduce in such rapid numbers to take over whatever government they have their eye on. I suspect the Botkins family business may be making enough money that they have moved toward concentrating on their lifestyle business ministry and worrying less on their legacybusiness. ministry.

If they hold the men in their family on pedestals, they might find other men to be lacking by comparison.

I think that's an element, but I can't help but feel as though it's almost more of a factor that they're simply so intimidating, and young men don't want to get too near them.

(1) They're fundie royalty, which is scary enough!

(2) their personal deportment is very grand and sophisticated, and we all know that "sophisticated" is just about the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to describing fundie males (attempts to be sophisticated give rise to suspicion of gay-ness omg)

(3) They're intelligent/well-traveled, and in the fundie world an intelligent wife is an independent, not-so-submissive wife.

(4) Their dad (who has I'm sure a more-than-significant part in the "courting" process) is pretty damn intimidating too. Those eyebrows! He's probably had a large part in scaring away potential suitors.

A few thoughts. Thus, the guys would most likely get married first (I am certainly surprised it has taken Isaac this long; he's not an unattractive guy—although he badly needs some fashion advice!—and very intelligent/talented; Benjamin was the least assuming but he's been married for what, years now. Maybe it's *because* he's the least assuming/intimidating?).

I do feel for the young ladies though... they're very attractive, even though they're a few years older than I maybe I should try to work out an elopement to rescue one of them... white knight, princess trapped in tower, guarded by an ogre, and all that... :lol:

I don't know them, as it appears our Othello does (and I do thank you for your perspective! :) ) - but it appears to me that there's a pretty unwholesome and unhealthy father-daughter dynamic going on between Geoff and A-S and E. Daddy worship/infatuation is a normal developmental phase for 3 year-old girls, but not for women closing in on 30. I agree that they come across as snooty and intimidating. I also suspect that Geoff stays perpetually barely one step ahead of the bill collectors. He treats his offspring like cash cows. "Family economics," indeed.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping to report that, per The Knot (website), the wedding is scheduled for May 10th in Colorado, and Isaac and Heidi are registered at Target.

ETA: Found their wedding website, isaacandheidi.com. They plan to live-stream it. Fasten your seatbelts!! :lol:

I don't know them, as it appears our Othello does (and I do thank you for your perspective! :) ) - but it appears to me that there's a pretty unwholesome and unhealthy father-daughter dynamic going on between Geoff and A-S and E. Daddy worship/infatuation is a normal developmental phase for 3 year-old girls, but not for women closing in on 30. I agree that they come across as snooty and intimidating. I also suspect that Geoff stays perpetually barely one step ahead of the bill collectors. He treats his offspring like cash cows. "Family economics," indeed.

Politics is strong in these circles. The girls have certainly been asked for, the question is why the guys that asked were turned down, and by whom, which is ultimately not our business. I know of two good guys that I'm certain asked. I think that the girls respect for their father is genuine. Elizabeth is not snooty for sure.

Bumping to report that, per The Knot (website), the wedding is scheduled for May 10th in Colorado, and Isaac and Heidi are registered at Target.

ETA: Found their wedding website, isaacandheidi.com. They plan to live-stream it. Fasten your seatbelts!! :lol:

Oh, delightful!! I will keep an eye out for this. They don't have a ceremony time listed that I could find, but hopefully it will be in the afternoon Colorado time. I have a commitment in the morning in my time zone, but I could be home in time for that. :banana-dreads:

Oooh, my birthday! This boozy, atheist, feminist will be... GASP... working that day. Selling evil wine! Then having a party in the evening. Can't say I'm jealous of the 3 hours of dry sermons, dry reception featuring dry sandwiches, and night of dry virginal sex.

Had a look at their Target registry...wth is this: BALL 8 CT BALL 8CT REGULAR MOUTH

There was no photo, but the product title is, ah...interesting. My mind is wandering places it perhaps should not go. :lol:

Had a look at their Target registry...wth is this: BALL 8 CT BALL 8CT REGULAR MOUTH

There was no photo, but the product title is, ah...interesting. My mind is wandering places it perhaps should not go. :lol:

My guess is canning jars.

My guess is canning jars.

It's definitely flats of canning jars. Some time facing the corner in the Prayer Closet is in order, 16strong. :lol:

It's definitely flats of canning jars. Some time facing the corner in the Prayer Closet is in order, 16strong. :lol:

Nope. I thoroughly enjoy being the heathen that I am. The only way you'll get me in the prayer closet is sedatives in the bean burritos or chloroform on the cabinet polishing cloth. :lol:

I do find it a little troubling that most of our talk here revolves around how depressing it is that the Botkin's younger brother is getting married before them and how they must be so upset. We have no idea whether or not they're upset, and we have no idea how in control of their possible suitors they are.

If the Botkins wanted to be married, they'd be married. There is nothing to be gained from being the subservient wife of a half-educated, underemployed "patriarch" when you can be a pop star on the Fundie lecture circuit. Let us all attend to the lesson of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Bradrick. . . and imagine you knew Kelly in person before she became an incubator on legs.

The wedding registry is pretty restrained, compared to many I've seen, but why would two people need three 45L laundry baskets? (Plus a laundry sorter which looks suspiciously like a basket.)

And a body analysis scale.

And so many brown things. :(

I was thinking about something like this:

41UTa5LMY1L._SY300_.jpg

:twisted:

I was thinking about something like this:

41UTa5LMY1L._SY300_.jpg

:twisted:

Oh, I see. It's gang up on 16strong day. Well it's good you've brought along a ball gag because I won't be going out quietly otherwise. :lol:

And I must thank you for choosing a breathable option. My sinuses really get to me this time of year.

Oh, I see. It's gang up on 16strong day. Well it's good you've brought along a ball gag because I won't be going out quietly otherwise. :lol:

And I must thank you for choosing a breathable option. My sinuses really get to me this time of year.

Actually, the gag ball wasn't meant for your enjoyment. I instantly thought about it when I read that BALL...REGULAR MOUTH... description on the happy couple's wedding registry. You know, some equipment for the sweet fellowship ;)

Last night I dreamt I was living in this awesome shabby chic farmhouse, being prepared for my marriage to Isaac Botkin. People kept entering my loft bedroom to question and evaluate me for my propriety and to explain how things were done in the Botkin household. Then Russell Brand showed up for some business meeting with Geoff and I kept hoping he would take notice of me so I could run off with him instead.

No Free Jinger reading after 9pm.

:cracking-up: :cracking-up: :cracking-up: :cracking-up: That is awesome! ,Anne not so much for restful sleep, but hilarious after the fact. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping to report that the wedding will be live-streamed tomorrow, 3:15pm Mountain Time. Let the wild rumpus start!

isaacandheidi.com

Archived