IGNORED

Isaac Botkin engaged!

JemimaPuddle-Duck

Isn't Isaac the one who is supposed to become Prime Minister of New Zealand, according to Geoff's 200-year plan?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think Geoff will let him, doesn't he think that he gets to decide the future of his sons in his role as 200-year-plan Patriarch. Having said that I hope that Isaac and his intended get the hell out, but that's my hope for everyone brought up in fundamentalism.

I don't think Geoff would stand in his way if he wanted to live elsewhere. He's not a tyrant patriarch by any means from what I see.

Isn't Isaac the one who is supposed to become Prime Minister of New Zealand, according to Geoff's 200-year plan?

Wouldn't you have to be a citizen there to be Prime Minister.

Wouldn't you have to be a citizen there to be Prime Minister.

One would think so, but not much about the Botkin 200-year plan makes any sense to me, so I'm just going with it :lol:

Again I will ask, CnD, what you meant by this comment to me.

Just because someone cares enough as a friend to go to a wedding, doesn't mean that you would necessarily hate them if you met them in person.

Just because someone cares enough as a friend to go to a wedding, doesn't mean that you would necessarily hate them if you met them in person.

So what you mean is that people who will be there might not actually agree with what the Botkins teach so we should pity them for having to sit through a Botkin wedding?

I wonder if Heidi was subjected to Geoff's "marriage investigation process," complete with multi-page questionnaire?

Isaac's always been one of the more mysterious Botkins. Does he have a job? A home of his own? I'm betting he is very happy with this new development in his life, and looking forward to breaking away from the stranglehold of family. Perhaps he'll even move to Colorado, where Heidi's from! Go Isaac!!

Free Isaac!

Ya'll think Nattie Darnell will get invited? I want him to have another chance to persuade one of the Botkin girls to run off with him.

So what you mean is that people who will be there might not actually agree with what the Botkins teach so we should pity them for having to sit through a Botkin wedding?

Yeah, and that DWT isn't that hateful, and it isn't necessary to think that everyone in attendance would be worthy of being hated.

Yeah, and that DWT isn't that hateful, and it isn't necessary to think that everyone in attendance would be worthy of being hated.

Thank you for saying I'm not that hateful, but aside from a few of their own relatives-- the Katie Botkin branch of the family-- I've never read about or seen photos of the Botkins associating with anyone who doesn't agree with their teachings-- in eight years of following their exploits. But obviously I don't know them personally, so perhaps I'm worng.

ourfullhouse.com/home/40-trips/266-more-about-our-weekend-in-tennessee.html

"We arrived at the wedding around 9:30 am. Teaching began around 10 am and lasted until noon." *shudder*

What would happen if either Issac or his bride wanted a short, simple ceremony with more emphasis on fun during the reception? Would Daddy Botkin let the new couple design their own wedding ceremony and reception or would he get offended?

I'd love it if the potential bride has enough spirit to demand to plan the wedding her own way or if she has enough compassion to demand that her guests not be forced to listen to such long sermons.

I don't think Geoff would stand in his way if he wanted to live elsewhere. He's not a tyrant patriarch by any means from what I see.

Having your daughters fetch your slippers and give you a shave sounds pretty patriarchical....and just downright squicky.

What would happen if either Issac or his bride wanted a short, simple ceremony with more emphasis on fun during the reception? Would Daddy Botkin let the new couple design their own wedding ceremony and reception or would he get offended?

I'd love it if the potential bride has enough spirit to demand to plan the wedding her own way or if she has enough compassion to demand that her guests not be forced to listen to such long sermons.

I'm not sure if Botkin men and spirited wives are compatible....

Audri and Ben seem to be a love match, and their wedding barely got any mention, so I'm assuming it was fun on some level and thus not worthy of Botkin blog immortalization?

Having your daughters fetch your slippers and give you a shave sounds pretty patriarchical....and just downright squicky.

Yeah, I don't see Geoff allowing any of his daughters to leave the house, go to a regular college, get a job, move out, or choose their own spouse with no input from him. He seems pretty much like a tyrant from the outside. If he would allow these things and they are going around teaching that women should serve their fathers at home until he allows them to get married then they are really horrible hypocritical people.

I hope its just his face he makes his daughters shave. Maybe whichever one has the most independent thoughts each week is punished by having ball shaving duty.

I hope its just his face he makes his daughters shave. Maybe whichever one has the most independent thoughts each week is punished by having ball shaving duty.

:brain-bleach:

Interesting - A-S and E were the first to announce both Ben's and David's engagements on their blog, complete with a fair amount of rhapsodizing about adding more "Botkin girls" to the family, but so far they make no mention of Isaac's engagement. In fact, their blog hasn't been updated in 8 months. Maybe Isaac really is putting his own spin on his own life - what a concept!

One would think so, but not much about the Botkin 200-year plan makes any sense to me, so I'm just going with it :lol:

As the mother of 2 half-Kiwis who have full citizenship, I object!

I'm panicking! I'm going to start lobbying my MP to have New Zealand declare itself a Botkin Free Zone, and demand to inspect any visiting US warships for lurking Botkins. ;)

But perhaps we don't have to worry. Radio NZ has begun it's build up the election at the end of the year by having Focus on Politics reviewing a variety of more minor political topics. Today, I listened to MPs from most of the parties earnestly assuring us that Christianity has no place in politics and that they would not dream of attempting to cater to a "Christian" electorate.

And we thought the Exclusive Brethren trying to influence politics was scary...

But perhaps we don't have to worry. Radio NZ has begun it's build up the election at the end of the year by having Focus on Politics reviewing a variety of more minor political topics. Today, I listened to MPs from most of the parties earnestly assuring us that Christianity has no place in politics and that they would not dream of attempting to cater to a "Christian" electorate.

As an American, I am extremely jealous.

As an American, I am extremely jealous.

My thought exactly while reading that.

NZ does have some fringe religious politicians. But they're fringe! Religious leanings of our politicians are pretty much irrelevant. It's just not so much part of governing.

Archived