IGNORED

We're Always Learning New Things with Ken Alexander: Part 2

Er, What IS that bolded stuff?

Pity the resident alien. I'm familiar with the look of Oscar Myer Bologna, that's all. Is any of this bologna/vernor stuff edible? How does it compare to Spam? I have eaten Spam - years ago. :sick:

None of it would be mistaken for GOOD food :lol:

Vernors is a kind of ginger ale, that's closer to ginger beer than normal ginger ale.

Ring bologna is what happens when your oscar meyer's isn't made into the round slices but is instead put in a giant Vienna-sausage like thing...and sometimes put into vinegary stuff ot pickle it, so it's shelf stable for some absurdly terrifying amount of time.

Like spam but w/o the spices. I'm fairly sure it's added in because it USED to be cheap (it's not anymore) and it was generally hanging out in the back of the cupboard when we were poor and broke.

You fry it first--it makes it taste a bit better.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone tell me how to make a good mustard potato salad WITHOUT Boiled eggs. I hate boiled eggs. But everyone I know makes homemade potato salad with boiled eggs :-(

Someone tell me how to make a good mustard potato salad WITHOUT Boiled eggs. I hate boiled eggs. But everyone I know makes homemade potato salad with boiled eggs :-(

Just leave them out.

Just leave them out.

You can leave them out, but it wont be as good because the yolks combined with the mayo and mustard are part of what makes scratch potato salad so rich and tasty. :) When I was egg free for a few years I tried to sub tofu to add silkiness, but it was not effective.

I make a great scratch tuna noodle casserole (no cream of anything condensed soup involved) that my whole family loves.

Share please! My kids love tuna noodle but I don't have an awesome recipe. I don't use a cream of crap soup when I make it, so it's definitely missing some creaminess.

There's also a delish Russian version of the basic sauteed cabbage recipe upthread. Cook the sliced cabbage and a finely diced apple in butter, add some plain cooked spaghetti to it, throw in some paprika and sour cream, then top with poppy seeds. I top it with chopped bacon, too, many nights. There are loads of similar Polish recipes, too. It's all incredibly yummy and pretty cheap.

Cream of anything can be replaced by white sauce plus the ingredient. Cream of Asparagus = use white sauce and fresh asparagus, cream of mushroom = use white sauce and fresh mushrooms, etc.

I had never heard of using Cream Soup until I found the Duggars. I have since seen it used so often on American sites. I learnt to make very similar receipes from my mother & grandmother but always starting with white sauce. (Butter, flour, milk.)

Share please! My kids love tuna noodle but I don't have an awesome recipe. I don't use a cream of crap soup when I make it, so it's definitely missing some creaminess.

There's also a delish Russian version of the basic sauteed cabbage recipe upthread. Cook the sliced cabbage and a finely diced apple in butter, add some plain cooked spaghetti to it, throw in some paprika and sour cream, then top with poppy seeds. I top it with chopped bacon, too, many nights. There are loads of similar Polish recipes, too. It's all incredibly yummy and pretty cheap.

My husband has a version of the cabbage thing he likes to make. He sautes cabbage, makes a teriyaki sauce to go over it, and serves it with egg noodles w/ crisp bacon crumbles on top.

Those cabbage recipes sound so good...however, they'd wreak havoc on my husband's digestive system...me and the dogs would have to move out in the aftermath...

My mom used to make those!!!! Beef patties, with cubed potatoes and onions wrapped in foil and baked? That's how we made them! I loved those things :D

Oh my gosh. I forgot all about those. My mom used to make those, too (no onions in mine, as I don't like onion). In the summer, she would put them on the grill sometimes. Those were so good. My poor husband ;)

I just Googled pickled bologna. Looks like really big, really fat Vienna sausages. Ringed bologna looks like kielbasa -- only pink like bologna. I have only ever experienced the Oscar Meyer version myself (and not a huge fan of that, either).

My mom used to make tuna casserole and sprinkle it with squished potato chips. Methinks that was the height of culinary fashion in those days. Like that Jello salad with canned fruit chunks in it.

Now porcupine meatballs (also a culinary classic) ... those are the bomb.

I'm not much of a fan of bologna, but I do like a piece of Oscar Meyer bologna fried once in a blue moon.

Porcupine meatballs, though! I could eat my weight in those suckers as a kid :) I haven't had them in years.

When my mom was a single working mom and money was tight her go to meals were:

cheesy tuna mac (kraft mac and cheese with a can of tuna added--drained of course)

hamburger gravy: brown hamburger, drain off the grease and use the pan to make a white gravy. Add hamburger back into gravy. Serve over bread/toast/mashed potatoes

I can't recall what she called this one..something like Pancho? It was browned hamburger, green pepper and potato chunks and when it was done crack 2 eggs over the whole mess and stir it up, so the eggs are kind of like they are in stir fried rice.

I just made my best comfort food, chicken tacos. Chicken thighs, sliced onion, garlic, and jalapeno, simmered with tomato sauce, chicken boullion, cumin and a mexican beer until everything falls apart. Serve in tortillas with shredded cabbage and sour cream. mmmmm.

Yes, she's usually like that. She used to be a teacher believe it or not. :?

what did she allegedly teach?

I love the turn this thread has taken. Poor man's meals/ comfort foods. :)

Scratch potato salad (as opposed to grocery-deli-purchased potato salad) is a wonderful thing, and there are nearly as many variations as there are people making it. It's something I really never get; I am the only member of my immediate family that likes it and I don't make comfort foods that I am the only one who eats (for obvious reasons).

I make a great scratch tuna noodle casserole (no cream of anything condensed soup involved) that my whole family loves. Now that we have gone down this path, I might just make that for dinner tomorrow. (Yes, I know a lot of people don't like tuna casseroles. But the cream of crap soup version really is a whole different animal).

Recipe? You could drop it in the [link=http://freejinger.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=18]recipe thread[/link] so it doesn't get lost for all time in these Ken threads if you wanted /big doe eyes :)

My potato salad: boil & dice potatoes( a little salt in the water ). finely chop medium sweet onion, couple of tablespoons of mayo, a package of onion soup mix, a dash of Cajun seasoning, and a couple of very crisp crumbled bacon bites, stir and try not to eat it all in one sitting.

Curious: My appeal is to common decency. Keep having your fun with your group, and ask them to stay within the bounds of decency. Your Forum is open to the public, and as so, there are consequences to the manure, lies, mischaracterizations, and false accusations that your group is doing. I am done discussing this and doubt I will return. You all have your fun. I am moving on to much healthier things.

We have rules here Ken. The members stay within them or they have consequences. The fact that you don't seem to like the standards, yet are a member and have made more posts than some folks that have been members for years, seems to be escaping you. If people were actually doing any of the bold, it would be an issue and we would take action, but they are not. You are trying to spin it that way because you don't like what people are saying, but that doesn't mean it's actually happening.

On the other hand, I can point out several instances where YOU have done a couple of those things yourself. I've asked you nicely to stop and yet here we are again.

I have a healthier appreciation for what is in this Forum. I see that many of the individuals here are probably pretty decent people who enjoy using their time and intellect to discuss some important topics. I get that and I am not opposed to that in any way. I am saddened that the conversation cannot be kept reasonable at times, like the outbursts of RosyDaisy and a few others, and trying to spill it over the INternet outside the Forum yet blaming the Internet, but I am a pretty understanding person over all.

Some people are in the thread just to say mean things rather than have an actual conversation. That's not against our rules. It's not my way and I personally don't think it makes those people look good, but that's their choice. If you don't want to see those kinds of things, you can put the person on your foe list and then you won't see it.

To the bold: um..I don't even know how to address this because it's such a weird statement. The whole purpose of the internet is to share information. The reason the site is PUBLIC is so that the information we have here will be ON the internet. If we didn't want it out in the world at large, the site would be private. I can't decide if you *really* have no understanding of how the internet works and what it's purpose is or you are being willfully obtuse when it comes to this stuff because the stuff you say is so bizarre.

Thank you Curious for allowing em to come on and dialogue... I am flouncing at last! :).

As I told you previously, I didn't "allow" you to join. Pretty much anyone is allowed to join Free Jinger (unless they have been banned, are a spammer or are under age). There was no special consideration given to you in your membership here.

So he got that list of quotes from Cabinet Man? How much do you want to bet that Ken is not going to do the honest thing and inform his blog readers and Cabinet Man that most of those quotes are fake or taken out of context?

Using Ken's logic, can Sharon Stone sue him? Because that would be awesome.

Using Ken's logic, can Sharon Stone sue him? Because that would be awesome.

At the very least according to him he is a very bad person for mischaracterizing several feminists.

I think the reason he keeps acting like we "allowed" him to be here is because he is so used to the Lori mindset where she doesn't allow anyone with thoughts that differ much from her to comment. He expected that we would be like her and delete him.

At the very least according to him he is a very bad person for mischaracterizing several feminists.

I think the reason he keeps acting like we "allowed" him to be here is because he is so used to the Lori mindset where she doesn't allow anyone with thoughts that differ much from her to comment. He expected that we would be like her and delete him.

Lori's latest, read and learn you evil feminist FJ adepts!!!

lorialexander.blogspot.nl/

From Lori's latest:

I am the type who likes to hear hard words. I like to be challenged.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

From Lori's latest:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

*wipes eyes* Now that's rich, coming from her. :lol:

From Lori's latest:

Unless it is hearing that there is rampant spousal abuse in religious organizations that teach submission just like she does, then both her and Ken stick their fingers in their ears and sing "LALALALALA" until they forget all about it. Actually, that is how Lori seems to deal with most things that disagree with her view on life, Ken just writes walls of text and gets really angry.

As I told you previously, I didn't "allow" you to join. Pretty much anyone is allowed to join Free Jinger (unless they have been banned, are a spammer or are under age). There was no special consideration given to you in your membership here.

Another familiar Narcissist argument tactic (and one he's been using all along) boils down to, "If you repeat it often enough, it becomes true." Getting them to stop repeating their version of the truth is often so arduous and futile that most people will just give up in frustration (or, IRL, because challenging it might provoke vindictive behavior or one of their rages).

So don't expect him to ever stop telling this particular lie--that he's exceptional, and has been granted a special privilege--because it won't happen until it suits his ego's purposes to do so. You can keep pointing out that it is, in fact, a lie, but just let it be an automatic gesture, like waving a fly away.

Another familiar Narcissist argument tactic (and one he's been using all along) boils down to, "If you repeat it often enough, it becomes true." Getting them to stop repeating their version of the truth is often so arduous and futile that most people will just give up in frustration (or, IRL, because challenging it might provoke vindictive behavior or one of their rages).

So don't expect him to ever stop telling this particular lie--that he's exceptional, and has been granted a special privilege--because it won't happen until it suits his ego's purposes to do so. You can keep pointing out that it is, in fact, a lie, but just let it be an automatic gesture, like waving a fly away.

I don't really expect Ken to stop doing anything because he's made it clear that he thinks he's a special snowflake. I just try to insert a dose of reality after his wall o' text posts for the people that are reading, but may not be posting and for anyone that happens to come along later having found us through our nefarious google tactics[tm][/tm] ;)

From Lori's latest:

Lori Lori Lori, it's in the Commandments themselves, "Thou shalt not lie."

:liar: :liar:

Archived