IGNORED

We're Always Learning New Things with Ken Alexander: Part 2

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is what happens when you write slow because you're watching care-bears and making a PB&J (FTR? Care Bears was inane and obnoxious when I was a kid and it hasn't improved).

I'm the one who pointed out the misquote last time, which he ignored. He also ignored it when I pointed out that he was a regular member of FJ and not a guest, and that we didn't make any special exceptions to 'allow' him to join. I get the impression that Ken Alexander just flat out ignores me, probably because of my super-intimidating username. I guess I'm either too scary or not worth the trouble. :cry:

Your posts are to short; he can't read short posts.

(I thought about trying to make that^ shorter but, realistically, I'm just to damn verbose. Not wall of text verbose, but, verbose enough)

Also, I"m inspired to make the awful comfort foods that are family traditions for us. Starting with 'poor man's meal'

Also, Ken?

Are you familiar with 'passive voice'?

Because EVERY single thing that resembles an apology from you is in passive voice. WHich makes it an insulting non apology.

You aren't sorry 'if' the church let some of us down, you should be saying you ARE sorry THAT the church let some of us down. At least I am--I'm sorry that the church has let some of the people here down. And I believe them when they say it let them down.

Passive voice non-apologies are insulting to the intelligence of the people you're non-apologizing to.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-apology_apology

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/08/1 ... The-Rules#)

Starting with 'poor man's meal'

My mom used to make those!!!! Beef patties, with cubed potatoes and onions wrapped in foil and baked? That's how we made them! I loved those things :D

My mom used to make those!!!! Beef patties, with cubed potatoes and onions wrapped in foil and baked? That's how we made them! I loved those things :D

mine involves pickled or ring bologna as the protein ... add potatoes and veggies (whatever you happen to have--usually peas and onions) and white sauce. Often stuck in foil and baked--can actually be baked on the manifold of the engine if you don't have fire or an oven.

(Yes, I have cooked on the manifold of several engines. I'm not sure what that says about the whitetrash level of my family) :lol:

Sadly enough, one of my relatives moved out of the midwest and was appaled that there was no koegel ring bologna, so there was no 'proper' poor mans meal. We mailed him some (and some vernors). Frickin most expensive 'poor man's meal' EVER!

mine involves pickled or ring bologna as the protein ... add potatoes and veggies (whatever you happen to have--usually peas and onions) and white sauce. Often stuck in foil and baked--can actually be baked on the manifold of the engine if you don't have fire or an oven.

(Yes, I have cooked on the manifold of several engines. I'm not sure what that says about the whitetrash level of my family) :lol:

Sadly enough, one of my relatives moved out of the midwest and was appaled that there was no koegel ring bologna, so there was no 'proper' poor mans meal. We mailed him some (and some vernors). Frickin most expensive 'poor man's meal' EVER!

Er, What IS that bolded stuff?

Pity the resident alien. I'm familiar with the look of Oscar Myer Bologna, that's all. Is any of this bologna/vernor stuff edible? How does it compare to Spam? I have eaten Spam - years ago. :sick:

I just Googled pickled bologna. Looks like really big, really fat Vienna sausages. Ringed bologna looks like kielbasa -- only pink like bologna. I have only ever experienced the Oscar Meyer version myself (and not a huge fan of that, either).

My mom used to make tuna casserole and sprinkle it with squished potato chips. Methinks that was the height of culinary fashion in those days. Like that Jello salad with canned fruit chunks in it.

Now porcupine meatballs (also a culinary classic) ... those are the bomb.

Dawbs, I lurve Vernor's and buy it when I see it (which, given where I live, isn't often).

My two standard poor woman's meals:

Cook onion in oil. Add sliced cabbage. Cook until soft. Add thawed frozen peas, curry powder, and salt. Can also be made East Asian style (using soy sauce and ginger in place of curry powder) or German (no curry, no soy or ginger, but a little beer, chopped apple, and salt for flavoring; in this case, substitute bread for rice and nuts for protein).

Dice an onion and shred a carrot and a couple ribs of celery. Heat oil and stir in onion, cooking until it is translucent. Add the other vegetables and a cup of rice. (Not parboiled, but I've successfully used everything from carnaroli to broken up kernels of jasmine or basmati rice.) Stir to coat. Add a lot of water and some broth powder or bouillon if you have it. Cook until porridgey, then season it with soy and hot pepper sauces. For protein, you can use peas, tofu, nuts-- even meat if you're into that.

Other than occasionally going to Lori's blog to check out the most hateful things she says, in context, I've never been one of her readers. Today I went there to check out her LHOTP post (my favorite book series as a child, although it turns out she was talking about the tv show.)

Is her writing always like that? It was like a child's book report (assuming the child cheated and watched a show instead of reading a book.) Short, declarative sentences. Just...odd. Is this normal for her? Is this some attempt to be bland and inoffensive in light of Ken's "defense" here? What's up here?

And, I totally disagree with her conclusion. Media overwhelmingly (and irresponsibly?) portrays troubled marraiges as improving and working out, often against all logic.

I just Googled pickled bologna. Looks like really big, really fat Vienna sausages. Ringed bologna looks like kielbasa -- only pink like bologna. I have only ever experienced the Oscar Meyer version myself (and not a huge fan of that, either).

My mom used to make tuna casserole and sprinkle it with squished potato chips. Methinks that was the height of culinary fashion in those days. Like that Jello salad with canned fruit chunks in it.

Now porcupine meatballs (also a culinary classic) ... those are the bomb.

What does porcupine taste like? Never had it, and it's unlikely that I will in the foreseeable future, but I'm curious. :)

I really have nothing to add to this thread except that I love porcupine meatballs. Could always find those at least once a week at the chow hall when I was in the military.

They're ground beef meatballs with rice in them, when cooked the rice sticks out like a porcupine. And they're freaking delicious.

What does porcupine taste like? Never had it, and it's unlikely that I will in the foreseeable future, but I'm curious. :)

Porcupine Meatballs are meatballs stretched out by adding a good quantity of rice, making them a bit prickly looking, like a porcupine!!

I really have nothing to add to this thread except that I love porcupine meatballs. Could always find those at least once a week at the chow hall when I was in the military.

They're ground beef meatballs with rice in them, when cooked the rice sticks out like a porcupine. And they're freaking delicious.

Thank you! And there I thought they were made from actual porcupine. :embarrassed: Oh well, always learning, right? :D

eta: Thank you too, Miss M!

:lol: And I was feeling so sorry for the porcupines! Glad to hear it's rice.

Wonder if Ken will keep his resolutions this time? I was starting to enjoy him wriggling around like a slimy white maggot trying to justify what can't be justified.

porcupine meatballs are ground beef and rice, as the pp mentioned. Actual porcupine is not tasty, IMO. It is gamey and has a strong smell. I've had it in a spicy stew, even that did not mask the taste or smell.

Other than occasionally going to Lori's blog to check out the most hateful things she says, in context, I've never been one of her readers. Today I went there to check out her LHOTP post (my favorite book series as a child, although it turns out she was talking about the tv show.)

Is her writing always like that? It was like a child's book report (assuming the child cheated and watched a show instead of reading a book.) Short, declarative sentences. Just...odd. Is this normal for her? Is this some attempt to be bland and inoffensive in light of Ken's "defense" here? What's up here?

And, I totally disagree with her conclusion. Media overwhelmingly (and irresponsibly?) portrays troubled marraiges as improving and working out, often against all logic.

Yes, her writing is always like that, I'm afraid. :?

I'm going through a minor housing crisis at the moment and have been eating a lot of potato salad. Boiled potatoes (quarters if they're small, eighths if they're big) mayonnaise (if I don't have any jarred, I make it the proper way and feel all fancy) and spring onions. Most comforting.

Yes, she's usually like that. She used to be a teacher believe it or not. :?

My favorite comfort food would have to be fried chicken. I always soak it in buttermilk with a cayenne pepper. Gives it a little spice.

Sounds yummy! :) I'll try that out (without the actual porcupine- and thanks meda for warning me off. I recently discovered kangaroo and squirrel meat, so I thought that "porcupine" might be worth seeking out if I ever got the chance. Apparently not. :lol: :embarrassed: :lol: ).

Sounds yummy! :) I'll try that out (without the actual porcupine- and thanks meda for warning me off. I recently discovered kangaroo and squirrel meat, so I thought that "porcupine" might be worth seeking out if I ever got the chance. Apparently not. :lol: :embarrassed: :lol: ).

They're shockingly good. I do recommend tossing an egg into the meat mixture before cooking though. For some reason, some of the recipes online don't have egg, and I've found they tend to fall apart during the browning process. I hate that.

Spilling over from the last episode, I bring this gem of a narcissist's weasel-worded non-apology:

Pain begets pain... I am so sorry if some of you believe the church has let you down.

That one word--believe--is really important.

You see, if your opponent merely believes they have been harmed, their claims lose strength. These aren't facts, after all; they are just things that person believes--and if you can convince yourself that what they believe is based on faulty thinking, emotional instability, moral failings, a lack of True Christian faith, etc., you can then dismiss it.

A sincere statement would thus read, "I am so sorry that the church has let some of you down." It acknowledges that yes, those people had deeply negative, harmful dealings with the church, and that those experiences are indeed real, and that there are genuine problems the church--which is a community of fallible human beings--needs to address.

The weasel-worded "I am so sorry if some of you believe the church has let you down" implies that the problem lies in the hurt parties' beliefs, rather than any abuses that might have happened within the church. It implies that no, the church didn't really let them down--they just believe it did (probably because they're a bunch of hysterical women infected by feminism, who lack faith and need to learn about godly submission).

I do not want to be another Christian who is part of that. All I can tell you is that the church is filled with many sinners, and some are saved by grace and move forward to walk in new life in Christ, and others never really seem to get it. When rough times come they run from Christ.

How about, "The church is filled with many sinners, and some are saved by grace and move forward to walk in new life in Christ. Unfortunately, some cherry-pick the Bible, looking for justification to oppress and abuse others. It's a tragedy, and too often church members turn a blind eye to it, blaming the victims. I am so sorry this happened to you, and that it has damaged your faith. It should never have been allowed to happen."

Because throwing in that bit about those who "never really seem to get it," and who run from Christ when "tough times" come? In this context, used within the same paragraph, that implies that the person who "believes" the church let her down was never really saved by grace, "never really seem[ed] to get it," and simply ran from Christ when things got too tough for their liking. It boils down to, "I'm sorry you weren't a very good Christian, and that you think it was the church's fault for not satisfying your demands." And that's not an apology--not even close. That's a steaming load of manure.

To lump us all together is unfair,...

But Ken, we're not (as a group) lumping all Christians together. Given that we have so many Christian members, including conservative evangelicals, including women who have chosen to submit to their husbands, we can't. A few individuals might, but to point that accusing finger and lump all of us together? That's a pretty serious mischaracterization of us, Ken. You might want to ponder that.

... and yes it seems it is unfair to lump all feminist together, because I must have some feminists leanings too wanting male and female to be treated equally, fairly and with common decency.

You associate with Sunshine Mary and her husband, and Cabinet Dude (or whatever he's called). You clearly have no objections to the decidedly anti-feminist, anti-woman things they say on their blogs. You're perfectly okay with C&Ping a collection of "feminist" quotes from an MRA hate site, and accepting them at face value, without question, as genuine. So no, you have no feminist leanings you can claim, Ken; your choice of online fellow travelers makes clear what a sham that is.

Oh, and you'll be back, Ken. Like a dog to its vomit, you'll be back...

They're shockingly good. I do recommend tossing an egg into the meat mixture before cooking though. For some reason, some of the recipes online don't have egg, and I've found they tend to fall apart during the browning process. I hate that.

Noted, and I will follow your counsel. Thank you! :)

So he got that list of quotes from Cabinet Man? How much do you want to bet that Ken is not going to do the honest thing and inform his blog readers and Cabinet Man that most of those quotes are fake or taken out of context?

I love the turn this thread has taken. Poor man's meals/ comfort foods. :)

Scratch potato salad (as opposed to grocery-deli-purchased potato salad) is a wonderful thing, and there are nearly as many variations as there are people making it. It's something I really never get; I am the only member of my immediate family that likes it and I don't make comfort foods that I am the only one who eats (for obvious reasons).

I make a great scratch tuna noodle casserole (no cream of anything condensed soup involved) that my whole family loves. Now that we have gone down this path, I might just make that for dinner tomorrow. (Yes, I know a lot of people don't like tuna casseroles. But the cream of crap soup version really is a whole different animal).

Archived