IGNORED

Any other Hunger Games fangirls here?

Hane

Another fangirl here that finished the trilogy within a few days. I wasn't a fan of the third book, and the ending did feel decidedly rushed. I finally got my husband to read them, and he's a huge fan too, but he deals with PTSD and that kind of ruined the outcome of the story for him.

He feels like Katniss will always have those horrors in her mind and it would have been kinder to kill her off instead of her sister.

I'm exited about the movies and I think, for the most part, they're cast really well - I especially like who's playing Clove. I wasn't a fan of Woody Harrelson as Haymitch, mostly because I had heard that John C Reilly was a possibility and he was closer to what I had in mind, but I'm starting to come around to the idea.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with your husband, but I think it would have been philosophically a poorer book for the kind choice - because

People live through revolutions and civil wars all the time. We're all surrounded by folks with PTSD, even if we don't know it. Presenting it as all good after the big fight, even if the hero dies, is totally dropping the ball

I agree with your husband, but I think it would have been philosophically a poorer book for the kind choice - because

People live through revolutions and civil wars all the time. We're all surrounded by folks with PTSD, even if we don't know it. Presenting it as all good after the big fight, even if the hero dies, is totally dropping the ball

I totally agree :)

• 3 weeks later...

I JUST finished reading the first book. This is the first book in a looooooong time that has kept me up at night. It is 3.30am and I have a class at 9am....don't know how that is going to happen. Ahhh it was really good :D

And I just finished the last books. My thoughts:

Wow that was violent. Like, really violent. :shock: How on earth are they going to translate that to screen and pass it off as a kids movie??

Besides for that, my reactions throughout reading included: swooooooooon Peeta, this reminds me of 1984, Shakespeare must be happy if names like 'Claudius' extend that far into the future, Snow is the creepiest character I have read in a long time, wow this is the 50 billionth death and i'm still crying (Prim), and so on.

• 1 month later...

I'm excited! I expect that this will be one of those movies that I go to alone, just so I can watch completely uninterrupted.

I'm guessing that the movie for book 3 will be rated R. It's just so violent, and more than that, the violence is really disturbing in parts. However, I think that might be ok, because teens getting into the series now will be 17 by the time the 3rd movie comes out.

I just saw the trailer, and I am really excited. I wish they weren't pushing it as a "OMG HOT PEETA" type thing, because that's really such a small part of the books, but I'm guessing that's just to build hype.

omg, that trailer was SO GOOD.

I am another one who read the three books in three days. i could NOT put them down. the third was my least favorite, but that's not at all to say it was bad. they were all compulsively readable.

i love the Katniss casting. i'm not familiar with the actress, but she definitely "fits" with my mental image of katniss.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE HG. I woke up early yesterday to see the trailer premire on iTunes, and I may have watched it about fifteen times since. The only actor I feel iffy on is Liam Hemsworth as Gale...I always imagined Gale as more firey, and with curly hair for some reason. I also wish we had seen drunk Haymitch in the trailer...not somewhat rational Woody Harrelson with a blonde rat-wig on his head. Other than that, the movie looks like it will be fantastic. I loved JenLaw in Winter's Bone, and she was basically an Ozarkian Katniss in that film.

That said, what I'm really looking forward to is Catching Fire. Johana is my favorite character (even though I was Katniss for Halloween)! If they can roughen up Naya Riviera (Santana from Glee) up a bit and teach her to throw axes, I think she'd be fabulous. Maybe Zoe Saldana; was she good in Colombiana? And Joan Allen or Wendy Malick for President Coin!

I was iffy about Josh Hutcherson as Peeta but after seeing the trailer I think it will work. Haymitch wasn't as I envisioned him but I guess I'll wait to see him drunk before I make a full judgment. Cinna seems perfect, as does Katniss.

Can not waaaaaaaaait.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE HG. I woke up early yesterday to see the trailer premire on iTunes, and I may have watched it about fifteen times since. The only actor I feel iffy on is Liam Hemsworth as Gale...I always imagined Gale as more firey, and with curly hair for some reason. I also wish we had seen drunk Haymitch in the trailer...not somewhat rational Woody Harrelson with a blonde rat-wig on his head. Other than that, the movie looks like it will be fantastic. I loved JenLaw in Winter's Bone, and she was basically an Ozarkian Katniss in that film.

That said, what I'm really looking forward to is Catching Fire. Johana is my favorite character (even though I was Katniss for Halloween)! If they can roughen up Naya Riviera (Santana from Glee) up a bit and teach her to throw axes, I think she'd be fabulous. Maybe Zoe Saldana; was she good in Colombiana? And Joan Allen or Wendy Malick for President Coin!

yeah it does not make sense, they're malnourished. Ok they put some muscle by doing physical work. But you won't be ripped like they are by doing a work that involves some muscle. They seem too old too. But well, I was already picky about several thing ie: the backpack she gets is ORANGE not BLACK. There was a test screen and when the character dies, she'S putting yellow flowers, not multicolored flowers.

I know I got to get a grip or the movie will be excruciating for me :P

• 2 weeks later...

OMG OMG OMG SO EXCITED.

I was a bit dubious about the movie pre-trailer but when I saw Rue peaking round the corner that was the end of me. Ruuuuuuuuuue.

I don't think there'll be enough hype for a midnight screening but if there were I would totally, totally go.

I'm sure there's gonna be a midnight showing. They have tons of fans on facebook and if they do it right lots of people will want to see it (Don't kill my hopes!)

I converted someone else at thanksgiving, she's read half of it over the week end already :D

I've been converting everyone I possibly can.

I imagine there will be midnight showings, I'd be pretty surprised if there weren't, it's getting a LOT of attention.

There better be midnight screenings!! I just got my HG-obsessed friend an 'IOU 2 tickets to the Hunger Games midnight screening' for her birthday...

The FB movie page has nearly 700 000 fans...! We just need to keep spreading the good word, and have more of our friends converted :D

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I have been seeing the previews for the movie lately on tv and it looks interesting. Was wondering for those of you who have read the book..did you like it? Thinking of downloading it on my Nook but wanted some opinions on it first.

Archived