IGNORED

Maxwells can't sell their latest book?

justakitten

Can't believe how many comments their post has gotten.

How many are just from us, though?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to call Steve on changing my post until after the contest is over. I really want to win and read this book. I don't want to buy it because I don't think it is worth the money!!

Always wondered the same thing.

I think that they use to sell quite well but not anymore.

Why else would they bring books out so quickly if the last book wasn't a failure?

Always wondered the same thing.

They were pretty successful with their first book: Managers of Her Home. I think subsequent books were also selling well since Steve eventually took over and his family went on tour. It's only in the last couple of years, with conferences drying up and (probably) saturation of the market, that the business has been struggling. I think that's what accounts for the increase in new books lately. I mean, they've gone years without coming out with any new books. Now, they're suddenly coming out with 3 or 4 in one year!

Steve probably thinks his business just needs an injection of new products to jump start it. He probably isn't aware of how the fundie world perceives his family. That's the conundrum the Maxwells have to deal with. They strive for absolute isolation but still depend on others for business. Unless the Maxwells are willing to live off the grid on a desolated piece of land in Montana, they have to appeal to a community. Their cultish ideals and isolated lifestyle just isn't appealing to most people who are part of churches, extended families and friends. What's more, they are a small company struggling amidst a maturing market. There are now larger, more efficient companies selling similar products (homeschooling how-to guides). The Maxwells can't compete with the lower prices those larger entities offer. There's also changing technology to contend with. The internet is now easily accessible even in poor, rural fundie homes. The Maxwells provide very little substance in their books and charge a lot for it. Their writings are about 1/3rd bible verses....nice for fundies, but most don't need to pay to read the Bible.

If the Maxwells want to succeed, they will need to find another niche. Their ITonRamp business is at least attempting something different (time will tell if it's successful). They also need to realize most people don't appreciate their lifestyle. They will NOT make money by writing books on things you can deny your children. Rather, they should focus on neutral topics like home renovations, IT skills, cooking etc.

And lastly, they need to get one of their daughters married. Their family is the face of their business. You can't sell anything in the fundie world if you fail the most important directive of the quiverful movement: to marry and further propagate the family.

As for the Maxwells' latest book....I think it's actually an intriguing topic. It's probably not going to apply to many people (as we've discussed in previous threads), but it may sell better because it's a concern shared by many fundie families. Plus, the Maxwells' actually have proof their methods do work! So, this book could be a start towards a revamping of the Maxwell "ministry". Only time will tell if the family business can raise up again.

Perhaps the Maxwells should start playing at weddings and get themselves some bee hives and a cow or two. If it's possible to save enough to buy a house in a few short years, surely it would be enough to supply the family with two animal crackers each and the other constituents of their fairly meagre diet. Especially when you consider they have two properties and seven adults who could contribute work.

Something to think about Steve.

Speaking of how some fundies isolate themselves in the extreme and refuse to do business with heathens, I was just reading Acts (in the Bible) tonight and came across the list of rules that the early church decided that non-Jewish converts should follow:

It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things. Farewell.

That's it. Seriously. Assume that following the ten commandments is also implied (don't kill, don't cheat, etc.) and still there's nothing about leaving your number of 'blessings' up to God, following a strict courtship model, not doing business with sinners, or blacking out the words from 'Row Row Row Your Boat'. Something to think about.

Speaking of how some fundies isolate themselves in the extreme and refuse to do business with heathens, I was just reading Acts (in the Bible) tonight and came across the list of rules that the early church decided that non-Jewish converts should follow:

That's it. Seriously. Assume that following the ten commandments is also implied (don't kill, don't cheat, etc.) and still there's nothing about leaving your number of 'blessings' up to God, following a strict courtship model, not doing business with sinners, or blacking out the words from 'Row Row Row Your Boat'. Something to think about.

Say what?

My entry wasn't posted, which was completely innocuous. Does anyone know if Steve logs the IP addresses of anyone he decides is ungodly? I only ask, because I used a different e-mail from last time.

And you know what, Steve? I might just create a new e-mail address and hide behind a few proxy servers. Then what? :nenner:

I wish there were a middle finger smiley, but alas, there is not. So fuck you, Steve.

He does track IPs but unless you live in Bumblefrack you can pretty much get away with rebooting your modem.

Somehow John Hugh manages to get his comments posted fairly often. They usually get edited or pulled fairly soon afterwards.

Happy to say I can see at least five comments I think fit FJers!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Say what?

Apparently when the Maxwell kids were learning music Steve didn't want their minds to be corrupted by the heathen lyrics (to depraved songs such as 'Row Row Row Your Boat') so he blacked/whited out the lyrics leaving only the musical notes.

BIG NEWS IN MAXHELL! The winners of the book give-a-way were just announced. Sadly, I wasn't one of them, but Tina and Allison were... I sure hope you are both FJerites!

BIG NEWS IN MAXHELL! The winners of the book give-a-way were just announced. Sadly, I wasn't one of them, but Tina and Allison were... I sure hope you are both FJerites!

Don't say till you have the book in hand!

Not me either. I hope an FJ won. I wonder how many of the comments came from us.

Not me either. I hope an FJ won. I wonder how many of the comments came from us.

I'd bet quite a few. And I am sure Stevie (hi Steve! :nenner: ) is having a fit from reading here and realizing so many of us snuck through on his watch.

I don't understand how they even get sales. The Maxwells live a boring life and are a crazy family :pull-hair:

Archived