IGNORED

Maxwells can't sell their latest book?

justakitten

Per their blog, looks like they've resorted to a contest to give away copies!

On their rules:

â—¦One entry per family.

â—¦We reserve the right not to post any comment or entry.

◦If you have already pre-ordered the book, don’t worry. Enter anyway. If you are a winner, we will refund your money.

No entries from atheist women wanting to own their own homes debt free!!!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say it isn't so! :shock:

Edited to add: Who the HELL would pre-order a Maxwell book? Good grief. If I ever fall so low in life as to do this, someone please be kind enough to cart me off to a 12-step program...right after beating me with plumbing line and asking me what the hell was I thinking?

Edited to add: Who the HELL would pre-order a Maxwell book? Good grief. If I ever fall so low in life as to do this, someone please be kind enough to cart me off to a 12-step program...right after beating me with plumbing line and asking me what the hell was I thinking?

They might have had some good advice, but I was immediately turned off by the focus on the 'sons.' I suspect most, except for their hard-core fundy fans, felt the same way.

Maybe they thought that having JBoob write the foreword for them would help sells? Clearly, it's not working Steve-o.

Did it really say "no atheist women?!"

No atheist women is all good and well, but what about agnostic women like me? Am I allowed to enter?

Kidding aside, no. He didn't say that. He just said that they reserve the right to not post or enter comments. So make sure to sound as fundie as possible when entering. :lol:

I don't know whose worse the Duggars or the Maxwells :think: Just like the Duggars the Maxwells are losing a lot of fans.

I can't bring myself to comment. Not sure I could keep the snarkasm out of my post.

Deal!

:dance:

:nenner: I say we bombard them w/entries. If you win AND after you receive your book, you write them a thank you note telling that you decided to donate the cost of the book to Planned Parenthood. :nenner:

There are no entries? WOW. That's shocking. Where are the followers who couldn't wait for copies? What honor system is involved in telling them why we want our sons owning homes debt-free? Are they scared people with only daughters might enter? I don't get it.

And what will it take to write an answer they'll approve?

They did this with their last book, the Great Conversationalists one and a FJ member won a copy and very kindly summarised each chapter for us.

â—¦We reserve the right not to post any comment or entry

should read:

â—¦We reserve the right not to post any comment or entry, edit comments as we see fit, and change peoples names.

I am irrationally angered by this book and the whole concept. Everything about it pisses me off.

I hate that they gear everything to men.

I hate that they think that just having drive is enough to earn what you need . Lots of people have drive but have suffered set backs. Maybe they became ill, maybe they had a job loss, maybe they had bees (like the man in their anecdote) and suffered colony collapse. Maybe they had a band (like the man in their anecdote) but did not get enough gigs. It goes on and on and on.

I hate that they base all their calculations on their area - housing prices are substantially higher in many places and not everyone wants to live in the isolated way they live.

I hate that they think all debt is bad. Debt used sensibly and with restraint can be a good thing - allowing a person to get job, or to get on the property ladder or to fulfill a dream etc.

If the Maxwells read or studied anything other than the Bible they would see that that the world is more complex and diverse than they know. It is possible to own a home - even a debt free home but this might need solutions more creative than pray and work hard. It might even need a mortgage - and there is nothing wrong with that. I hate that they think their narrow and insular vision can possibly apply to many people.

I am irrationally angered by this book and the whole concept. Everything about it pisses me off.

I hate that they gear everything to men.

I hate that they think that just having drive is enough to earn what you need . Lots of people have drive but have suffered set backs. Maybe they became ill, maybe they had a job loss, maybe they had bees (like the man in their anecdote) and suffered colony collapse. Maybe they had a band (like the man in their anecdote) but did not get enough gigs. It goes on and on and on.

I hate that they base all their calculations on their area - housing prices are substantially higher in many places and not everyone wants to live in the isolated way they live.

I hate that they think all debt is bad. Debt used sensibly and with restraint can be a good thing - allowing a person to get job, or to get on the property ladder or to fulfill a dream etc.

If the Maxwells read or studied anything other than the Bible they would see that that the world is more complex and diverse than they know. It is possible to own a home - even a debt free home but this might need solutions more creative than pray and work hard. It might even need a mortgage - and there is nothing wrong with that. I hate that they think their narrow and insular vision can possibly apply to many people.

Love your post & so very very true!! Another thing I want to add. I hate that they think any form of fun is wrong.

They did end up admitting that this would be more difficult in some areas, but they still maintained that in most places it could be done. I'm going to guess that the book will suggest looking for homes in depressed areas (though how one maintains a living that way is anybody's guess).

I entered the contest, but if I don't win, I plan on buying the book, so I'll post what I find out.

I wonder what Stevie thinks about owning a manufactured home debt-free? Seems like that would be a fairly easy thing to do but those don't appreciate, they depreciate, so I wonder if his book discusses what TYPE of home he aims for and why?

They did end up admitting that this would be more difficult in some areas, but they still maintained that in most places it could be done. I'm going to guess that the book will suggest looking for homes in depressed areas (though how one maintains a living that way is anybody's guess).

Remember that their ideal consists of home-schooling, home-churching, and self-employment, in hopes of isolating themselves from as much of "the world" as they possibly can. If they had strong enough ties to the Christian dominionist "parallel economy," they could likely make it work.

Maybe they can sell the book in real estate offices. I wonder how any of the Maxwell books sell.

I'm a Realtor, and I wouldn't give those books for free to my clients.

If I needed/wanted to do so, I could buy a house in the town nearest my parents farm (let's call it Bugtussle), often starting as low as 40K (currently there is a good condition mobile home on a foundation on 1/3 acre for 35K, but stick built is slightly more-- I can get good condition on up to 3 acres for 100K or less. Low taxes, no hoa, and 2 miles from my family home and my sister's family's farm.

The school will be closed the end of this year. There are few jobs in the town, but 15-20 minute commute gets you to jobs. IF, I could scrape up enough to pay the utilities, and paid in cash, I could live on little, especially since i have skills and experience gardening, my own maintenance, etc.

It is so very much not what I want to do, but it could be a life, and it could, actually be a happy life. It is not what I want, but it is doable.

I expect housing prices there will go down, as the kids will have to be bused to schools 15-40 minutes away, so the draw of a close, safe, decent small town school is gone, however, home schoolers would not have that consideration...

The Maxwell's live in a much larger town than Bugtussle, but there are plenty of rural communities that are more or less dying, and housing prices there are often very cheap--if one breadwinner has to commute not much further than I do from my suburb while the mom stays home and homeschools the kids, they can more or less live anywhere. And my town still has 4 churches in town and 3 in the country for a population of 400 people.... so being religious won't be a sticking point for most of the locals....

Archived