IGNORED

Lori Alexander: I would have rather not had children if...

You do reap what you sow, I think. My mother often said similar things to me when I was a kid. As an adult I think I talk to her once every couple of months, and while they're super wealthy so I doubt it will be a problem for extended care to be funded (even if they've left $$ and property to me I'd rather spend it on their care rather than pollute myself with a single dime of it), but we've also ensured that we can set both my parents up in a nice home when the time comes. Close by to check in on things, but I do not trust myself to care for her myself. We essentially have no relationship as adults, and to be honest I'm rather happy with that.

I have no idea how she feels (I suspect not at all, except for jealousy that she doesn't have what other people have, but I've long since tuned her out), nor do I really care. She's not earned more from me and I think I'm being generous.

If Lori truly treats her kids this way, I think she'll probably be treated better than she truly deserves, but it will come back to bite her. I used to feel bad about being cold, but I don't really think I do anymore. :)

I think of a moment on King of the Hill when 12-year-old Connie is mad at her dad, and she says, "I am going to put him in SUCH a 2nd tier nursing home!"

I personally just wish that Lori's mother would not have had children.

That's a bit harsh. How about just that Lori's mom hadn't had Lori since Lori has sisters and we don't know what they are like.

I cannot even fathom that approach and view of children. How big a heart of stone has to be in your chest to hate children that much...and to be a teacher? Well, actually, since Ken and Lori are into the kind of kink they are in, it might actually make sense. She is clearly on par with the Trunchbull and probably wants her own torture chamber for kids.

:pink-shock:

... and I'm worried that I am not a good enough person to properly parent my child-to-be?

Darkplumaged, the very fact that you DO worry about it proves you are a good person and will be a good parent.

As for shooting your child, blimey! I've heard people say they'd disown their son/daughter if they were gay as they think it's wrong - which is bad enough - but that's a new one on me.

Lori claims to know so many women who regret having kids, yet she is also against abortion and birth control to prevent women from having children they will regret. Lori just wants everyone to be as miserable as she is.

Darkplumaged, the very fact that you DO worry about it proves you are a good person and will be a good parent.

As for shooting your child, blimey! I've heard people say they'd disown their son/daughter if they were gay as they think it's wrong - which is bad enough - but that's a new one on me.

Thank you, moodygirl86. :) That's basically what my headship says when we're trying to reassure ourselves that we are indeed capable of parenthood...

Ken and Lori do some good. They make me tell my parents how totally awesome they were to my and my siblings. My parents don't read here, but in case they ever do, know I love you guys so much. :greetings-wavingblue: You were the best parents ever and I can't thank you enough for not being like Ken and Lori Alexander or Michael and Debi Pearl or their followers. :worship: :romance-kisscheek: and a big :romance-grouphug: to all FJer's parents who were as awesome as mine and FJ parents who are or will be just as awesome.

Sounds like a typical fundie hypocrisy, extol the virtue of being a devoted wife and mother on the condition your offspring behaves exactly how you programed to.

Personally, I delight in my children every day. My teenage stepdaughter, my born out of wedlock 12 year old, my 10 year old nephew with ADHD, who, if he's not gay, I'll eat my hat, and my 8 year old nephew with severe anxiety. They are all amazing, strong, kind, wonderful little people that are my privilege to raise. Honestly, the boys are a pain in my ass about 75% of the time (why must they be so dang loud? And the bickering...), but when the little one lays his head on his big sisters shoulder as she reads to him, or watching the older one learn to ride a bike with my husband, it's worth it. My stepdaughter tells me she loves me. Every day, even if her friends are watching. My daughter is the best big sister in the world. She's the one who taught the little guy to read. Those kids make me proud every minute of every day. I'm sorry for Lori that her god can't help her to love her children the way I love mine. She's missing out on so much joy.

Thank you, moodygirl86. :) That's basically what my headship says when we're trying to reassure ourselves that we are indeed capable of parenthood...

The guy I was talking about is an asshole in a lot of other ways too. He wonders why his girlfriend broke up with him and only gives him limited access to his son :roll:

But yes, if you question whether or not you're going to be a good enough parent, chances are you will be. I'm not having any more children. We're emotionally and financially able to deal with one. Admitting that is not a failing.

I was also thinking that these people, the ones who say they would rather their kids not exist and such if they were gay, not Christian, etc, are the same people who are against abortion and birth control.

Makes no sense, and I feel sorry for the kids.

I am one who worries if I would be a good parent some day. Stories like these make me feel a little better.

I walked away from the Church of Christ, and my parents didn't disown me. They taught me that parents should love their kids unconditionally.

ETA: can't spell

Archived