IGNORED

Kidist will fight for her perfume and coffee if she has to

super skeptic

I'm mostly a Nespresso girl, because of the convenience. However I wouldn't go to Starbucks unless is was desperate, if i'm spending more than the cost of a coffee pod at home, I want GOOD coffee.

Why is she being all snobby about a BCBG fragrance? Surely it's just one of those pleasant smelling mid priced EDT things?

She seems to have very high and mighty opinions on very common and not high-end brands. Like that time she blogged about Wal-Mart's clothing.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The biggest perfume nerd I've ever met is a second-generation Chinese-American woman married to a white guy. She collects perfumes, knows all about old ones, and I've seen her correctly identify fragrances worn by complete strangers. Before she went to law school, she worked in the fragrance section of a genuinely high-end store in LA, and her employers tried to get her to stay by promoting her to assistant buyer and offering her all kinds of benefits--because even at 23 she knew more about fragrance and had a better nose than just about anybody else.

Kidist would spontaneously combust from rage and resentment, were they ever to meet.

I am a bit of a perfume nerd myself, but I don't even come close to my friend who introduced me to niche fragrances, who is black. Actually, I think I will show her Kidist's post, she may get a laugh out of it because if you actually ask talk to any perfume snob/nerd about this, you will know that a brand like BCBG is producing chemically fruity florals like every other junior brand. If she wanted to really be a snob, she could drop some names like Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Byredo, Andy Tauer, or anything that is sold on luckyscent.com

I am a bit of a perfume nerd myself, but I don't even come close to my friend who introduced me to niche fragrances, who is black. Actually, I think I will show her Kidist's post, she may get a laugh out of it because if you actually ask talk to any perfume snob/nerd about this, you will know that a brand like BCBG is producing chemically fruity florals like every other junior brand. If she wanted to really be a snob, she could drop some names like Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Byredo, Andy Tauer, or anything that is sold on luckyscent.com

BRB Googling all those perfumers. :lol:

I'm not really a perfume nerd, but an allergy to some synthetic fragrances has forced me to stick to the 'good stuff' because the chance of ending up with a bad headache is much less, mainly Annick Mernado creations, Armani Code & Shalimar.

Seriously. I'm not a perfume snob by any means. I'm pretty middle of the road when it comes to fragrance, but I find it hilarious how she's going on about a bcbg fragrance as if it's something special. And she talks about the bcbg boutique as if it's high end. My non-white ass used to shop there in high school and I always thought of it as a store that's slightly aspirational for the middle class (the average American can buy a bcbg cocktail dress for special occasions, or a bcbg handbag; but it's a bit more upmarket than the shops the average American would shop at on a regular basis). And I don't know why an Ethiopian who has lived in Europe is going to Starbucks with the expectation of a good cup of coffee. The way she talks about things as if they're supposed to be high end makes me wonder if she hasn't been exposed to many niceties, although she likes to present an image of a rarefied lady to her readers.

Kidist, what. Seriously.

I'm losing my urge to snark on her as I now believe she is mentally ill. Not just a weirdo with some strange beliefs, but actually mentally ill.

The idea that non-white shop assistants can't understand technical issues because they aren't white and that she would avoid them because they aren't white, even though she isn't white herself...that doesn't sound like a well person's thinking to me. It sounds like the sort of fears people get when they are unwell with paranoia - there's even the crossing over effect that paranoid people suffer from. "I'm like them but not like them. I'm a good person but they are bad. We're the same but we aren't the same. They're angry because I won't do their bad things."

To me, now, Kidist is too unwell to mock. People aren't being racist when they point out that she's ignoring the fact she's not white in order to insult non-whites. But she can't see it herself, she is really not in good health and I think we should sort of take a step back here.

Kidist, what. Seriously.

I'm losing my urge to snark on her as I now believe she is mentally ill. Not just a weirdo with some strange beliefs, but actually mentally ill.

The idea that non-white shop assistants can't understand technical issues because they aren't white and that she would avoid them because they aren't white, even though she isn't white herself...that doesn't sound like a well person's thinking to me. It sounds like the sort of fears people get when they are unwell with paranoia - there's even the crossing over effect that paranoid people suffer from. "I'm like them but not like them. I'm a good person but they are bad. We're the same but we aren't the same. They're angry because I won't do their bad things."

To me, now, Kidist is too unwell to mock. People aren't being racist when they point out that she's ignoring the fact she's not white in order to insult non-whites. But she can't see it herself, she is really not in good health and I think we should sort of take a step back here.

I also think Kidist is mentally ill. Yes, she's also filled with some seriously repugnant views, but she doesn't quite fill me with loathing the way Stinking, SSM and Lori Alexander is a Fucking Monster do. Maybe because they are not mentally ill; they are nasty, hateful, bigoted bitches. But Kidist? I do wish her family would do something to get her help.

And as for the BCBG fragrance? You can get that shit at TJ Maxx, hardly an upscale retail establishment if my bougie broke ass shops there.

I'm not really a perfume nerd, but an allergy to some synthetic fragrances has forced me to stick to the 'good stuff' because the chance of ending up with a bad headache is much less, mainly Annick Mernado creations, Armani Code & Shalimar.

I cannot be in the same room with someone wearing some of those synthetic fragrances without getting an asthma attack, so just about product that comes in contact with my body, including laundry detergent, is fragrance free. That said, I love love love these perfumes. Expensive but long-lasting, and don't bother me at all. Not sold in shopping malls.

cbihateperfume.com/

I almost never read Kidist because the woman is too far out there for me. Asking a BCBG clerk in anyBCBG store anything more advanced than can you help me find the rest of the short black knit dresses like the second one over in the front window is an exercise in futility.

She has given me a giggle though worried about the notes in a mass produced BCBG/Sephora generic perfume.

Ahhh, she made Bulgari Black. Its a great scent. I keep almost buying it but its really similar to a L'Artisan Perfumeur scent called Dzing that I like just a little bit more. I keep telling myself to save up the money and the one i like better thats more, but Black is so close. Struggles of a graduate student with expensive tastes.

If you are really interested in the rabbit hole of perfumes, you should check out

http://www.nstperfume.com/

basenotes.com (not breaking cuz they will welcome the traffic). They have information on pretty much everything.

I cannot be in the same room with someone wearing some of those synthetic fragrances without getting an asthma attack, so just about product that comes in contact with my body, including laundry detergent, is fragrance free. That said, I love love love these perfumes. Expensive but long-lasting, and don't bother me at all. Not sold in shopping malls.

cbihateperfume.com/

His stuff is so interesting, but I haven't tried any that I would like to actually wear. Burning Leaves smells just like burning leaves, but I don't want it on me, lol. I keep meaning to try In the Library because I love the smell of old books.

I live about 20 minutes from the "high-end" Mall of Columbia" (as described by CNN) where the shootings took place today. They have two Starbucks so she can take her faux snobbery and shove it. Although Columbia is a very ethnically diverse area so I guess she'd blame the tragedy on that (you know, as opposed to sympathizing with the victims are their loved ones).

Ahhh, she made Bulgari Black. Its a great scent. I keep almost buying it but its really similar to a L'Artisan Perfumeur scent called Dzing that I like just a little bit more. I keep telling myself to save up the money and the one i like better thats more, but Black is so close. Struggles of a graduate student with expensive tastes.

If you are really interested in the rabbit hole of perfumes, you should check out

http://www.nstperfume.com/

basenotes.com (not breaking cuz they will welcome the traffic). They have information on pretty much everything.

His stuff is so interesting, but I haven't tried any that I would like to actually wear. Burning Leaves smells just like burning leaves, but I don't want it on me, lol. I keep meaning to try In the Library because I love the smell of old books.

In the Library is very wearable, I think. If you've smelled Diptyque's Eau Duelle, imagine stripping it down to the woody vanilla note, and you've got ItL. (But then I liked Brosius's stuff for Demeter, too-- I like smelling like a fruiting tomato plant.)

Yeah, I'm not sure what you'd do with some of those fragrances. I start wearing Black March about this time every year when I start jonesing for the garden, because it smells like moist, mossy, sun-warmed earth.

Bon Chic, Bon Genre! It brought back memories:

FtPRLqkz5dw

Kal, Kidist is a shop assistant. I forget who she works for, though.

I wonder what the people she meets for those "round table intellectual discussions" think of her. Are they all as nuts as she is?

When it comes to them being intellectual, I hae me doots. If this is a sample of it, I'm not very impressed:

reclaimbeauty.blogspot.ca/2013/12/bianca-stigter-sinner.html

Where I come from, chatting round a pub table about how the blacks are stealing white women and brainwashing them to say "black is best" doesn't qualify you as an intellectual, it means you're probably a member of the SDL. I understand Kidist's no weel, but I also strongly doubt anyone involved in the "intellectual discussions" is helping with this.

I leave you with a sample of Kidist's "intellectual discussion":

At one time, black Americans had the edifying art of Negro spirituals, infused with religion, with which to escape the trappings of undignified lives. Now they have mediocre films and stories that moralize, but fail to inspire.

Ooh, Armani Code (formerly Armani Code Black) is my absolute favourite, I wear it every day. I get lots of compliments on it. I love it because it's a cologne but it's a gorgeous one that works on both men and women. Overtly floral perfumes give me headaches, unless they're very subtle and expensive (in my experience, the more subtle a fragrance is the more expensive it generally is).

Kidist loves to think she's classy and high end but she's just... not. Starbucks is good? I'm no coffee aficionado but their coffee always tasted kind of burnt to me. I'm glad they shut down here.

Starbucks shuts down in Australia? :D

Almost, there are 2 or 3 in Melbourne now. I think Sydney & Brisbane have some too. They used to be EVERYWHERE.

As I said above, in Australia we describe American coffee as "sex-in-a-canoe coffee" (f$$@in' close to water, for those who haven't heard the term). The jokes about Starbucks started even before the first store opened.

Same here, like 5 years ago suddenly they where EVERYWHERE in Vienna - popping up like mushrooms after spring rain, even in Salzburg City are 2 or maybe even more.

Luckily this fad seems to have gone pretty much. A friend of mine worked for the company and she told me the "higher ups" are a liiiiittle too much on the weird side: They wanted to make the "baristas" kick out costumers (mostly learning students) after a certain time if they don´t buy anything else (hm, HELLO?! you run a supposed Café -chain, don´t you ?!) and she should fire employees who got "catched" eating stale pastries, which would go into the garbage anyways :? She straight-forward told them "Yeah, then you have to give me a revolving door at all the shops too, because then I would be constantly hiring&firing plus kicking out costumers!" :lol:

Basically there was no room in the marketplace for Starbucks here. Gloria Jeans has the lion's share of the coffee chain business and between that, a handful of smaller coffee chains and the vastly superior independent cafes that populate the country there was no way for Starbucks to get a foothold.

It's pretty satisfying, knowing how Starbucks basically destroyed independent cafes and coffee houses in the states.

I wonder what the people she meets for those "round table intellectual discussions" think of her. Are they all as nuts as she is?

Kidist actually has friends? That surprises me, her personality is so off putting.

Archived