IGNORED

I listened so you don't have to: Teri Maxwell

danvillebelle

Whether Teri gave birth at home or at the hospital, I'm curious as to whether she would request female or male attendants. Their modesty rules would seem to require a woman, but then aren't the Maxwells encouraging a woman to work outside the home? And according to their beliefs, aren't men smarter and less emotional, thereby better at handling such a situation?

Which makes me think of a rule under the Taliban (normally I apply a Godwin's Law type avoidance to mentioning the Taliban, but in the case of the Maxwells I don't think it's a stretch), women in labor could not see male doctors, but female doctors were not allowed to be trained or taught. So, you know, brace yourself and bite down on a dish rag?

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whether Teri gave birth at home or at the hospital, I'm curious as to whether she would request female or male attendants. Their modesty rules would seem to require a woman, but then aren't the Maxwells encouraging a woman to work outside the home? And according to their beliefs, aren't men smarter and less emotional, thereby better at handling such a situation?

Which makes me think of a rule under the Taliban (normally I apply a Godwin's Law type avoidance to mentioning the Taliban, but in the case of the Maxwells I don't think it's a stretch), women in labor could not see male doctors, but female doctors were not allowed to be trained or taught. So, you know, brace yourself and bite down on a dish rag?

In the Moody books, Mrs. Moody is attended by a midwife.

I'm not sure how they get around the working outside the home thing with midwives. Obviously she's not under the umbrella of protection by her husband or father.

Of course, the Maxwells and other fundies appear to be able to overlook this in many areas of their lives; i.e., wait staff, nurses, mail carriers, etc.

Yes in the Moody books the mother character is attended by a midwife & their was also a Homebirth for the twins. That is the reason why I think the last 3 were born at home.

Knowing that the Maxwells are totally opposed to college and women working outside the home, you could have knocked me over with a feather when one of the Christmas blog posts showed Abby with a...GASP! doctor kit. It blew me away. Clearly, they weren't thinking ahead. What would happen if this kit piqued Abby's interest in medicine? What if decided to become a doctor? What if she wanted to GO to college and then to medical school? I can't see them spinning the doctor kit into a midwife kit instead, especially since, according to what Sarah wrote, it was definitely identified as a DOCTOR kit.

There was someone he came here once who worked with Nathan in some capacity, she said he had a gym membership. He also allows his daughters to socialize with Melanie's family, which includes evil egg hunts. No doubt he is fundie, but it appears he may not have drank all the kool-aid. Christopher on the other hand, yeah chip off the old Steve.

After hearing about the "death speech" at Christopher's wedding so many times, I finally got to check it out. OMG :shock: who gives that kind of speech at one's wedding? This should be a joyous occasion not a darn funeral! But I guess in Steve's world, even weddings can be too much fun and he absolutely can't have that. And yes, Christopher has totally bought into his Dad's worldview, he's Steve's "mini-me".

I don't know how Anna could stomach it, but apparently she could, she was looking adoringly at him the whole time. And it occurred to me that no wonder that first engagement didn't work out. That gal (can't remember her name right now) was probably considered too much fun and worldly.

After hearing about the "death speech" at Christopher's wedding so many times, I finally got to check it out. OMG :shock: who gives that kind of speech at one's wedding? This should be a joyous occasion not a darn funeral! But I guess in Steve's world, even weddings can be too much fun and he absolutely can't have that. And yes, Christopher has totally bought into his Dad's worldview, he's Steve's "mini-me".

I don't know how Anna could stomach it, but apparently she could, she was looking adoringly at him the whole time. And it occurred to me that no wonder that first engagement didn't work out. That gal (can't remember her name right now) was probably considered too much fun and worldly.

Eros and Thanatos, a familiar concept.

That wedding was awful. I felt sick when Anna's dad gave is "charge," which was all about how his daughter should submit to Christopher. Ick! At least the pastor had the decency to also tell Christopher to love Anna as Christ loved the church and to not be selfish. If only he would have left it at that instead of continuing on with the dying to self and resolving conflicts. Not that there is anything wrong with encouraging newlyweds to not hold grudges and admit when they were wrong, but he just had to go into the whole we never know when our time to die is crap. I think a pretty good summary of the wedding is this:

Boring music

Blah blah welcome (really what was up with all the talking before the ceremony?)

Boring singing

Blah Blah purity

Blah blah submit submit submit

Blah blah death

Awful singing

Blah blah more death

The End

Thanks for the link! Yeah; I totally found the processional creepy! He hugged EVERYONE except her before they were married; her mom, his sisters, her sister......and it really seemed to be Maxwell-dominated. They DID have her parents giving blessings and prayers, which was nice, and Steve's prayers are touching......but knowing his "owning our sins" hasn't really been practiced makes me cringe. If you're really "owning" not being salt and light, you'd let your ADULT children out of the saltshaker! If this is how parents are supposed to be when they're ADULTS, then where were all the parents of Jesus' disciples? You think they wouldn't be concerned about what their sons, or sons-in-law are doing? All that was mentioned was Peter's ill mother-in-law that Jesus healed, and James and John's mother wanted both her sons on either side of Jesus in the future Kingdom.(there's speculation on whether SHE more wanted it or THEY manipulated her) The singing was nice, but not something I'd want to pay for. The message at the end, well, while I see it as gospel truth, it's a little weird at a wedding. As a widow, I see the other side, like, if Christopher dies, will Anna be able to care for herself and, now, the little ones?

Okay, there's my reaction. Thanks again. Hopefully Elizabeth Munck, if she hasn't seen it already, will, and see what she missed.

I don't blame Teri for locking herself in her bedroom to nurse. Just think, a whole 30 minutes to sit and do nothing except feed the baby. Very decadent for a Maxwell. The older 3 were old enough to watch the other little ones. She could have even stretched it out if the baby feel asleep.

I don't blame Teri for locking herself in her bedroom to nurse. Just think, a whole 30 minutes to sit and do nothing except feed the baby. Very decadent for a Maxwell. The older 3 were old enough to watch the other little ones. She could have even stretched it out if the baby feel asleep.

This *is* a good point. However, I remember her specifically telling us it was b/c it was 'private' and not something to be done in front of people and that we might cause someone to stumble, etc etc. :naughty: :naughty:

Now this is a wedding.
It was like mine. I had 600 people at my wedding and we partied until the middle of the night.

The next time you get married, please send me an invitation??!! I love it!

This *is* a good point. However, I remember her specifically telling us it was b/c it was 'private' and not something to be done in front of people and that we might cause someone to stumble, etc etc. :naughty: :naughty:

Because Teri can't ADMIT she wants privacy. She probably has to phrase it like that.

That or we should take her at her word: she seriously believes that the mere thought of her breasts will sexually excite her sons. Gross. Super gross.

Teri is only a few years younger than I am. My life is far from exciting (I'm a "dwidow" [both my ex-husbands are dead] with no love life, one child, one grandchild, and a routine desk job). But I think about all the joy and, yes, FUN in my life: little things like reading whatever I want, theater, movies, friends unrelated to me, travel, my UU church, community theater, an occasional drink or hit of weed, going out for mani-pedis and sushi with my daughter (who is gainfully employed and the primary breadwinner in her household).

Sad to think that, by hanging out with the likes of me, Teri would be walking on the wild side.

Teri is only a few years younger than I am. My life is far from exciting (I'm a "dwidow" [both my ex-husbands are dead] with no love life, one child, one grandchild, and a routine desk job). But I think about all the joy and, yes, FUN in my life: little things like reading whatever I want, theater, movies, friends unrelated to me, travel, my UU church, community theater, an occasional drink or hit of weed, going out for mani-pedis and sushi with my daughter (who is gainfully employed and the primary breadwinner in her household).

Sad to think that, by hanging out with the likes of me, Teri would be walking on the wild side.

Remember Hane, as one widow to another:

Alfred Lord Tennyson:

'Tis better to have loved and lost

Than never to have loved at all.

Except for the UUchurch, grandchild and the weed, our lives are about the same!

Remember Hane, as one widow to another:

Alfred Lord Tennyson:

'Tis better to have loved and lost

Than never to have loved at all.

Except for the UUchurch, grandchild and the weed, our lives are about the same!

But...but...you live in Holland, where you could stroll into any of those green-sign coffee shops and light up! Aside from the art and architecture and daffodils (too early for tulips when I was there) and Anne Frank House, a highlight of my trip to Amsterdam was the dime bag of White Widow I enjoyed there. Yep--me and a trio of college boys on spring break from D.C., chatting with the bartender about Dutch marijuana laws. I was 50 at the time. Memories...

But...but...you live in Holland, where you could stroll into any of those green-sign coffee shops and light up! Aside from the art and architecture and daffodils (too early for tulips when I was there) and Anne Frank House, a highlight of my trip to Amsterdam was the dime bag of White Widow I enjoyed there. Yep--me and a trio of college boys on spring break from D.C., chatting with the bartender about Dutch marijuana laws. I was 50 at the time. Memories...

Both my sons went through that phase of blowing. Just before my youngest son died, he was completely depending on me in a wheelchair. One day he said (he was in pain) I would love a joint! I went to a coffeeshop. In the coffeeshop I was treated with the atmost respect.... to be honest I come across as well.... sort of genteel....So I told them about my son and how he was in pain and all that. They suggested a medicinal type of blow without the regular effect. I told them I didn't want that, apart from the pain-killing effect I wanted him to get some pleasure out of it too (if you get my drift). Well I bought him the most expensive joint ever and I am so glad I did, 6 weeks later he passed away.

Both my sons went through that phase of blowing. Just before my youngest son died, he was completely depending on me in a wheelchair. One day he said (he was in pain) I would love a joint! I went to a coffeeshop. In the coffeeshop I was treated with the atmost respect.... to be honest I come across as well.... sort of genteel....So I told them about my son and how he was in pain and all that. They suggested a medicinal type of blow without the regular effect. I told them I didn't want that, apart from the pain-killing effect I wanted him to get some pleasure out of it too (if you get my drift). Well I bought him the most expensive joint ever and I am so glad I did, 6 weeks later he passed away.

That brought tears to my eyes. My father is heavily involved in the drug legalisation movement and an illicit but ignored group attempting to get medicinal cannabis to those Australians who need it. I used to bake medicated cookies for distribution to the terminally ill when I lived closer to him, and it's something I'm proud of. I just wish that we had a way that people's respectable mothers/caregivers could easily access it for their loved ones in need.

That brought tears to my eyes. My father is heavily involved in the drug legalisation movement and an illicit but ignored group attempting to get medicinal cannabis to those Australians who need it. I used to bake medicated cookies for distribution to the terminally ill when I lived closer to him, and it's something I'm proud of. I just wish that we had a way that people's respectable mothers/caregivers could easily access it for their loved ones in need.

In Holland we are easier on sex, alcohol and soft drugs. Practically all young (17 and 23 yrs) Dutch people are occasionally blowing . The use of soft drugs by the Dutch population is not that much. The real consumers are foreigners/tourists. The result of the liberal policy.

The next time you get married, please send me an invitation??!! I love it!

You could come to my daughter's wedding! I have her wedding all planned out in my head. She just doesn't know it yet. I hope she likes horses. lol

Archived