IGNORED

Sister Wives is bbbaaaccckkk!!!1!

Justme

I think the reason that the practice of one man having many wives (as opposed to one woman having many husbands) has survived for so long, is that it works well in a patriarchal, authoritarian society. Polygamous societies are inherently undemocratic. To make polygamy work out of the chaos of having so many children and wives, there has to be one, single authority, ie the husband. I can't see how egalitarian polygamy, with the male and female partner taking other wives and/or husbands all of whom are of equal status, could work. I know there are polyamorous people out there, but that's not the same as polygamy, traditionally defined. Polygamy isn't about love as such, it's about forming a clearly defined patriarchal family unit with legitimate children by more than one woman (I think this definition works even for people like the Browns where only one wife is legally recognized). I think part of the reason that the Browns seem like such a mess is that Kody is trying to show that he's a modern, enlightened guy, despite being a polygamist, so he doesn't rule the family with the kind of iron hand that is needed to keep such a sprawling family in line. He wants the best of the modern world and the polygamy world, and it's not working.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See, I think it could work if the man and the wives were mature and everyone cared about each other.

But here you have lots of very immature women vying for the attentions of a very immature man, and at least half of them only care about themselves.

That's the main reason it doesn't work - they are wrong people for it.

The problem is that polygamy is fundamentally a communal lifestyle, and Meri knew this probably from the time she was a small child. Given that their are sixteen other kids to be accounted for, I don't see how Meri can justify Mariah's extra perks. The sister wives say this lifestyle teaches you to be less selfish. This is one of those times when Meri needs to suck it up and take one for the team if she's really serious about living the "modern polygamist" life.

I think the biggest problem is that they (supposedly) want to live as one family, but they are not doing that. Why did they buy four McMansions? It would have made much more sense to purchase a small multi-family building(s) and renovate to suit their needs. Something like this: http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18322675/3236-Michael-Way-3237-Arlene-Way-Las-Vegas-NV The asking price is only $378,000. They could take Jim Bob's advice: Buy used and save the difference. The difference between what they paid for their polig-d-sac and a property like this would certainly enable them to renovate to fit their needs. I know nothing about Las Vegas, so this area could be a total, dump, but there are many, many multi-family properties on the market.

If they renovate properly, they could have a "family house" and a "children's house." Main family activities take place in the family house, where the adults live. The kids could live in the "children's house" with the adults alternating who stays with them. Kids could come and go to the family house, but their bedrooms, playrooms, etc. would be in the children's house. The kibbutzim in Israel all used to have children's homes.

In a set-up like that all adults would be equally responsible for the kids (not legally, rather emotionally) and for contributing to the household, whether with labor or income. Right now, they are living like 4 families who share a father/husband.

I can't believe he actually bought Jenelle that offensive tile, and I wish her mother had been more honest to him about how rude that statement on it was. I would be so pissed off if I had gotten that as a gift.

ETA: Hooray this comment makes me a sin in the camp!

Isn't Jenelle the one that makes toast in the OVEN because she's afraid of toasters (and always sets off the fire alarm)? Maybe in her case it's true, and they all know and find it hilarious?

Shockingly, it was Christine who was scared of heat and appliances.

Thank you! I get those two mixed up! In that case, I take it back and think it was a shitty gift for Jenelle!

I get why Meri doesn't like Janelle much. Janelle was married to her brother. Everything was fine and then once she married Kody, Janelle wanted a piece of him to. Then she was forced to allow Kody to marry Janelle before she was ready for it. Sounds like Janelle just pushed her way into the family to get what she wanted no matter how Meri felt. Or that's how I understand it from their book. Not to justify Meri's behavior all the time. I just understand how Meri feels the way she does towards Janelle. Now if Christine would only quit whining about everything.

I noticed that Kody said that if he died, he wants the family to remain together. How is that supposed to work? Are they supposed to all remain widows? Are they all supposed to find another man to "marry"? Also, since Meri is his only legal wife, if he dies, wouldn't she get Social Security survivor benefits as his legal widow? Think she would share with the other sister wives? I hope Kodi has an ironclad will so that all the women are taken care of if he passes.

Damn, that pesky "legal" wife status of Meri's rears its' ugly head.

Polygamy can't work as an "egalitarian" arrangement for another reason: you cannot short circuit a biological parent's instinct to ensure that resources are directed first to their biological child/ren, then to the children of other partners. You ca try to control the urge, but people's time and money is finite. Your going to look out for your own child first, then the other children. It doesn't mean you don't love the others, but the deepest bond is with your own.

I don't understand why people are so shocked that Meri does not think more of the financial burden for the other children. This is the fundemental self destruct sequence in a lot of poly families. The idea that all the children are equally valued by all the partners flies in the face of the reality that resources have limits and biological parents have instincts.

Polygamy can't work as an "egalitarian" arrangement for another reason: you cannot short circuit a biological parent's instinct to ensure that resources are directed first to their biological child/ren, then to the children of other partners. You ca try to control the urge, but people's time and money is finite. Your going to look out for your own child first, then the other children. It doesn't mean you don't love the others, but the deepest bond is with your own.

I don't understand why people are so shocked that Meri does not think more of the financial burden for the other children. This is the fundemental self destruct sequence in a lot of poly families. The idea that all the children are equally valued by all the partners flies in the face of the reality that resources have limits and biological parents have instincts.

That's why in Tibet, where polygamy is practiced, it's usually one woman with multiple husbands, who are usually brothers (thus all the children are part of the same family regardless of which brother fathered them, which I'm guessing nobody would know). Men are allowed to have more than one wife but the practice is discouraged precisely because it's believed that women will natural want the best for their own children and thus any relationship will be inherently competitive.

It's also why people with children who enter a new marriage have prenups/trust funds, etc. set up to protect the children from the former relationship.

The Browns made the front of today's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/09/us/po ... ml?hp&_r=0

(not broken because it's a news site)

The article mentions that the Browns sell nutritional supplements. Thess kind of MLM herbal supplement schemes seems to be very popular among Mormons. Does anyone have any idea why?

I don't know why but I've noticed that as well. I'm guessing it's a combination of the nutritional emphasis in the word of wisdom and that the schemes seem more promising to people with a larger social network (as most Mormons do through their churches and large families). Also women are encouraged to stay at home after having children, and finances are probably tight for quite a few families because of the number of children and the tithing, so these schemes seem like a convenient way to increase income while working with their schedules. Just my guess.

Per that article, is Robyn still nursing Solomon at 2? I'll admit to being a bit curious if Robyn's going to have more kids or not. They're okay with birth control, aren't they?

Per that article, is Robyn still nursing Solomon at 2? I'll admit to being a bit curious if Robyn's going to have more kids or not. They're okay with birth control, aren't they?

I did wonder why she's still nursing.

And I thought the article was a fluff piece, especially for the NYT.

Nothing wrong with nursing a two year old. I do remember kody telling meri he was going to have more children. I think Robyn wants more.

I think they are okay with birth control. Kody has stated many times that Christine and Janelle are done having children by their own choice. As the person above me said, Kody has also said he's not done having children so I think Robyn would like more.

Nothing wrong with nursing a two year old. I do remember kody telling meri he was going to have more children. I think Robyn wants more.

no big whoop on extended nursing. I nursed both of mine until they were 3 1/2. Which meant I nursed while pregnant and tandem nursed for about 1 1/2 years. Older nurslings don't nurse every 2 - 3 hours like babies do.

There is no ban on birth control as such among Mormons, but large families are "encouraged" because of their belief of a realm where spirits are waiting for bodies.

no big whoop on extended nursing. I nursed both of mine until they were 3 1/2. Which meant I nursed while pregnant and tandem nursed for about 1 1/2 years. Older nurslings don't nurse every 2 - 3 hours like babies do.

Side track here:

You rock! :)

I managed to nurse all mine to nearly 2 years. I stopped b/c they wanted to or b/c I got pregnant again and my milk would dry up. I'm currently nursing my 9 month old exlusively and we'll go til she wants to stop.

I don't know why but I've noticed that as well. I'm guessing it's a combination of the nutritional emphasis in the word of wisdom and that the schemes seem more promising to people with a larger social network (as most Mormons do through their churches and large families). Also women are encouraged to stay at home after having children, and finances are probably tight for quite a few families because of the number of children and the tithing, so these schemes seem like a convenient way to increase income while working with their schedules. Just my guess.

If you watched "Big Love", there is a whole storyline about this!

If you watched "Big Love", there is a whole storyline about this!

I've never seen that show! (I'm woefully behind on Showtime/HBO series). So others have noticed this trend as well...

Kind of interesting that Christine's mother is the only one of the five not still living polygamy (though actually, does anyone know what Kody's father's wives are doing now?) when Christine seems like the biggest defender of polygamy. Robyn is as well, I suppose, but it seems like a very emotional thing for Christine.

Christine's mother looks very young, also. I was wondering who she was before she was introduced because I thought she looked the same age as Kody and his wives.

Christine's mom is a living endorsement against polygamy without saying a word. She looked so much better than the other women (and I don't mean thinner or younger.) They looked exactly like people who live a life of drudgery and Christine's mom looks exactly like someone who escaped a life of drudgery (light in the eyes, less stressed, etc.)

Side track here:

You rock! :)

I managed to nurse all mine to nearly 2 years. I stopped b/c they wanted to or b/c I got pregnant again and my milk would dry up. I'm currently nursing my 9 month old exlusively and we'll go til she wants to stop.

Gee, thanks - no big thing, just let me kids lead on that one.

Cynical Jinx has been in touch and is going to review the new episodes and link to them here.

Hi Everybody!!

I apologize for not posting this sooner, but, if you're still interested, I'm doing my reviews of Sister Wives (and other polygamy centered reality shows) at my new home: http://cynicaljinxwelcome.blogspot.com/.

About those wrestling mats - did I miss this somehow because I don't remember Robyn's garage being mentioned for wrestling room conversion? And the Bulldogs are Centennial High School, where the Brown teens attend high school. Kody was even wearing a Centennial TShirt in that segment. Oh, and did you see how Kody was totally faking having the mat on his back when they were taking it out of the Uhaul truck?

I think it's interesting how in the last episode, we are shown that Meri has friend(s) outside of her sisterwives, who also happen to be mainstream Mormon. I just find it odd since Kody said Logan wouldn't be welcomed by the Mormon church because he was a plyg-kid when Janelle suggested he attend a Mormon church. Oh, and don't forget Mariah was attending the Mormon Seminary at Centennial (and on twitter there was a picture of her in front of Meri's McMansion saying she was going to church services with her best friend). Just some things that make me go hmmmm.....

Archived