IGNORED

Sister Wives is bbbaaaccckkk!!!1!

Justme

Why is he willing to put his wives in six figure debt for houses but not allow his kids to take loans for school?

I think college loans cannot be discharged through bankruptcy. Where as the mortgages can be discharged.

Kody has expiernce with bankruptcy. I believe Kody and Meri have filed for bankruptcy in the past. If I recall correctly, so have Janelle and Christine.

Source: http://sisterwivesblog.blogspot.com/201 ... lfare.html

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be interested in how they completed the FAFSA. Mariah isn't exactly an only child with all the half-siblings. Does Kody claim to support them?

Have to give Mariah props for learning emotional manipulation for her mother. Yeah, I'd like to be a doctor and all that, but I have to go to the expensive school because it's the only place that I can meet a husband who'll let me practice The Principle. If I go to another college I'll just be around normal people who don't understand how much I want to be a sister wife.

Noticed the intake person said they accept diversity, not that the place was a haven for polygamous guys seeking like-minded wives.

Hate to give Kody kudos, but I like that he didn't fall for it.

As for the MILs, when most of them got teary it seemed appropriate and believeable, but Robyn's mom sure turned on the waterworks at odd times. I can see where she got it.

Or viola. ;)

Well, we're ALL pronouncing it wrong. I have it on good authority that Scully the Seagull from The Little Mermaid is the only one who pronounces the word correctly - Voy-oh-lay!

Have to give Mariah props for learning emotional manipulation for her mother. Yeah, I'd like to be a doctor and all that, but I have to go to the expensive school because it's the only place that I can meet a husband who'll let me practice The Principle. If I go to another college I'll just be around normal people who don't understand how much I want to be a sister wife.

Noticed the intake person said they accept diversity, not that the place was a haven for polygamous guys seeking like-minded wives.

Hate to give Kody kudos, but I like that he didn't fall for it.

As for the MILs, when most of them got teary it seemed appropriate and believeable, but Robyn's mom sure turned on the waterworks at odd times. I can see where she got it.

I had the same reaction to everything. Mariah sure did take good notes watching Mom. But if she does get to go to her expensive out-of-state college just so she can meet her polygamous future husband (wtf?) it will likely be because TLC has decided it might make for a good story line. It was good not to see Logan involved in the Mothers Day activities (it probably wasn't even really Mothers Day); hopefully he's just living his life.

Robyn is a voice and personality clone of her mother. It was unnerving.

Kody is douche, but I can't bring myself to dislike him all that much. What's fascinating is that all of his wives fully admit (to the point of saying it to his face sometimes) that he's a childish idiot and yet he's their chosen patriarch. Does not compute for me.

This season was filmed just a few months after the last. The prior season ended around Christmas when they were moving into the houses. This one started around Mothers Day, which is in May.

I would think with so many kids, they'd qualify for quite a bit of financial aid.

At a 4 year college, grant will assist with the tuition but not cover it. Then, you have books, room and board, personal expenses. Is she sure she wants to move to Utah in order to have sister wives?

If Mariah wants to go to school there, she can have a friend or relative put her physical address in Utah for a year prior... I knew a lot of students who did that.

Kind of interesting that Christine's mother is the only one of the five not still living polygamy (though actually, does anyone know what Kody's father's wives are doing now?) when Christine seems like the biggest defender of polygamy. Robyn is as well, I suppose, but it seems like a very emotional thing for Christine.

Christine's mother looks very young, also. I was wondering who she was before she was introduced because I thought she looked the same age as Kody and his wives.

It might just be the pregnancy hormones talking, but the way every woman on that show would tear up, wipe the tears with a few fingers, and then inspect the fingers for mascara started to make me feel sick. Ugh! Get a tissue or something. If you are that sad, wipe those eyes and blow your frickin' nose.

Well, we're ALL pronouncing it wrong. I have it on good authority that Scully the Seagull from The Little Mermaid is the only one who pronounces the word correctly - Voy-oh-lay!

Of course!!! How could I have forgotten!!! ;)

If Mariah wants to go to school there, she can have a friend or relative put her physical address in Utah for a year prior... I knew a lot of students who did that.

That might be a little more difficult for her being on television and all :D

She could also work to pay part of he own tuition. Or go to community college for two years, WORK, save by living at home and then transfer to the expensive school, and continue to work. Cause that's what regular people have to do.

I think it's all just build up to a spin off or featured story line with TLC footing the bill.

I found Mariah on twitter. She is at that college. :roll: She posted a picture of her on campus the first day.

(Yes, collage loans can never be discharged. If the parents co-sign, then they too, are liable until they are paid off. Even if the student dies, the co-signer is held responsible.)

I normally skip the show and read the review over at Sisterwivesblog.blogspot.com. It has been almost a month without a new post. :(

Does anyone know what's going on over there?

I have no cable anymore, so I'm relying on y'all for my updates on this train wreck. How could they not think about college until now? And how must the other kids feel about Mariah, when she gets $28k/yr college and they can only afford $7k/yr. Or potentially $0 for the other kids. Let's hope Mariah becomes a doctor quickly and pays for the younger ones tuition!!

Whinah Mariah is an only child in the eyes of FAFSA.

Financial aid counselor at a private university here: if she can show that her parents provide at least 50% of financial support the other kids (and for that matter, the other wives) they can qualify as part of her "household" on the FAFSA. Where I work this requires filling out a sheet listing how the non-immediate family members meet their expenses, and sometimes they have to prove they officially live at the same address. Not sure how their houses are set up as I haven't watched for a while, but I suspect they don't all have the same address so they would not be able to show they're under the same "household."

The FAFSA has a yes/no section to say whether your household financially supports people other than immediate family; if a student says "yes" to this we usually go this route and check to make sure the non-family member is really supported by the parent/s or student.

I think college loans cannot be discharged through bankruptcy.

In some cases they can be discharged through bankruptcy, but it usually means you can never take more out if you ever go back to school.

Also just a word on parents who are willing to take out extra loans themselves/take on more debt to fund their kid going to school: federal student loans generally have much better repayment terms than alternative or personal loans and have a fixed interest rate. Only in very rare cases is it more beneficial for the family to take those out (for example if they have exemplary credit history and can get a great personal loan) rather than Stafford loans. Even if the student takes out Stafford loans in their name and the parents repay it, in the long term it's much smarter. Not to mention, student loans are seen as "good" debt/credit history when the student graduates and has to finance a house, car, whatever. Parents who take out loans before taking their kids' Stafford loans are very short-sighted (unless they feel they can't pay off the student loans of course...in which case the student should definitely be going to a cheaper school!).

Financial aid counselor at a private university here: if she can show that her parents provide at least 50% of financial support the other kids (and for that matter, the other wives) they can qualify as part of her "household" on the FAFSA. Where I work this requires filling out a sheet listing how the non-immediate family members meet their expenses, and sometimes they have to prove they officially live at the same address. Not sure how their houses are set up as I haven't watched for a while, but I suspect they don't all have the same address so they would not be able to show they're under the same "household."

The FAFSA has a yes/no section to say whether your household financially supports people other than immediate family; if a student says "yes" to this we usually go this route and check to make sure the non-family member is really supported by the parent/s or student.

In some cases they can be discharged through bankruptcy, but it usually means you can never take more out if you ever go back to school.

Also just a word on parents who are willing to take out extra loans themselves/take on more debt to fund their kid going to school: federal student loans generally have much better repayment terms than alternative or personal loans and have a fixed interest rate. Only in very rare cases is it more beneficial for the family to take those out (for example if they have exemplary credit history and can get a great personal loan) rather than Stafford loans. Even if the student takes out Stafford loans in their name and the parents repay it, in the long term it's much smarter. Not to mention, student loans are seen as "good" debt/credit history when the student graduates and has to finance a house, car, whatever. Parents who take out loans before taking their kids' Stafford loans are very short-sighted (unless they feel they can't pay off the student loans of course...in which case the student should definitely be going to a cheaper school!).

Just curious, wouldn't her siblings count as immediate family, even if they don't have the same address?

The Income-Based Repayment Plan for federal Direct Loans is the only reason I can sleep at night (and eat during the day for that matter ;) ) My student loan payments are based on my annual income. Right now my student loan payment is about 1/2 of my mortgage payment. Without IBR, it would be 2-3 times as much. (I got a Ph.D. in a humanities discipline because of reasons that I don't regret in spite of the fact that it was a horrible financial decision.)

The Browns' kids would all be new borrowers so they could qualify for Pay as You Earn, which sets payments even lower than IBR. It could totally be manageable (though I would recommend going to an in-state, public university to minimize borrowing costs.)

Community college is more affordable (I started my undergrad at one and now I teach at one) but I could also see how a Brown child might want to attend a school with on-campus housing. The Brown households appear to be less restrictive than, say, the Duggers but, from my perspective as an introvert, it would seem nice to get away from the huge family as well as the reality TV cameras.

I normally skip the show and read the review over at Sisterwivesblog.blogspot.com. It has been almost a month without a new post. :(

The last post, or second to last post, had a note about Mister Sister having some health problems. I didn't see any details, but also wasn't willing to comb the comments for details. I used to read over there pretty regularly, but really stopped enjoying it after CJ (I think, the person who did the recaps) left. For me, the posts became almost unintelligible, or maybe there were jokes I wasn't getting?

Nonetheless, I hope it's not a serious health problem that is keeping Mister Sister from posting.

The last post, or second to last post, had a note about Mister Sister having some health problems. I didn't see any details, but also wasn't willing to comb the comments for details. I used to read over there pretty regularly, but really stopped enjoying it after CJ (I think, the person who did the recaps) left. For me, the posts became almost unintelligible, or maybe there were jokes I wasn't getting?

Nonetheless, I hope it's not a serious health problem that is keeping Mister Sister from posting.

Cynical Jinx has been in touch and is going to review the new episodes and link to them here.

Why is Mariah so obsessed with living plural marriage? It's not for everyone.

Her mother's example. Meri is the queen of the Brown family despite her whining and selfishness.

Her mother's example. Meri is the queen of the Brown family despite her whining and selfishness.

But only because she's the legal wife and she only had one child.

Mariah might not be first wife and she'll probably have a bunch more kids. Can she really think she'll end up in a cushy position like her mother?

I think Mariah probably expects to end of ruling the roost much like her mother. She doesn't seem to be very mature or in tune with reality. Aspyn and Mykelti could easily teach her lessons in life.

Archived