IGNORED

Sister Wives is bbbaaaccckkk!!!1!

Justme

I just can't figure out the motivations of all these people. Well, some of them seem obvious at first, but when I really think about it I think there's more to it than that.

Kody got into polygamy because he loves the attention and feeling special. He can't meet someone and not start bragging that he has four, count 'em, four wives. But his former classmates from highschool all suspected he was gay. Did he choose this lifestyle to prove he wasn't gay? Is he a closet bisexual and due to his Morman upbringing go overboard to prove he was totally straight? But in the polygamy world, isn't he supposed to be working and calling all the shots? He has quit jobs before just to go on a vacation. And while he seems to have the last word, it seems like a lot of stuff is left for the 'wives' to work out. He also is very proud of how many children he has, and has told Meri that he will have more children, I don't see him actually parenting them very much. He likes to give speeches, make rules, show up on special occasions where he can brag about his four wives and many children. But I don't see him actually being a father.

Meri was raised in polygamy, but has said that the only reason she agreed to it in her own life was so she could land Kody. Yes, she was raised in polygamy as a child of a first wife, but it really sounds like she would have preferred to have Kody all to herself. I feel like she was desperate. Wasn't Meri the one who had no friends in school? Couple that with her looks, which aren't ugly, (but most girls want to be thought of as at least pretty), I could see a massive inferiority complex building up. When the cute Kody was willing to marry her, she would have agreed to almost anything to make it happen.

Then came Janelle. I don't even know why Janelle consented to this farce. She wasn't raised in polygamy. Did she really love Kody so much she would put up with anything, like Meri would? Did she only want a sperm donor? I don't think so, because while Meri might have thought she could handle another wife, I think she found she couldn't do it. Meri made Janelle miserable to the point where Janelle left the 'family'. But why did Janelle return? She'd proved she could live on her own. She put herself through college, bought a house, and successfully raised her kids as a single parent. But when Kody decided to build the compound, Janelle moved right in, and then she was working to support not only herself and her kids, but contributing to the support of everyone else as well.

And Christine. She was raised in polygamy and really seemed to believe in all the stuff attached to the religious aspect of it. Meri was checked out, and Janelle was there and then not there, but Christine was still believing. Janelle returns and Christine is not only raising her own children, she's providing daycare for Janelle's and sometimes Meri's child. Everything's working out to a degree, and then...

Robyn. How many years was it since a new 'wife' joined the group? Robyn's inclusion caused a cataclysmic disruption. Robyn was raised in polygamy, but had three kids from a first marriage where she was the only wife. Did she feel that the lack of another 'wife' was the problem? With three kids and no other woman around to help, maybe she felt overwhelmed. Suddenly she was divorced and living in pretty crappy conditions, and trying to be a single parent to three kids, one of whome was autistic. When Robyn had the chance to jump on the Kody train, she was all in. I suspect that she and Kody were having sex even before they got 'married'. As a comedian said on Letterman just last night when talking about his girlfriend: "I don't do premariatal sex. But since I've already been married once, it's POSTmarital sex, so it's all good." (One of his few funny jokes). Anyway, it was telling when one of the first things that Robyn did was present a pile of bills and ask where she should put them. That woman may really like Kody, but I remain convinced that the heart of her motivation was having her bills paid and having other women around to help her raise her kids.

I'd love it if every person on this show over the age of five was separated from the group and assessed by a group of psychologists. Once the final report was given, it would be very interesting reading.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying to watch the most recent episode and after 10 minutes, don't know how I can get through watching these horrible people again. Just saw the preview of Meri crying like a baby about not being to see Mariah walking in - didn't she throw a hissy fit at Logan's graduation as well? So so so annoying.

I also don't get why Kody made such a big deal and was so stubborn about the student loans, then does a full 360 and all of a sudden gets it, and gets what a hypocrite he was when they just took on mortgage debt. Horrible people.

Trying to watch the most recent episode and after 10 minutes, don't know how I can get through watching these horrible people again. Just saw the preview of Meri crying like a baby about not being to see Mariah walking in - didn't she throw a hissy fit at Logan's graduation as well? So so so annoying.

I also don't get why Kody made such a big deal and was so stubborn about the student loans, then does a full 360 and all of a sudden gets it, and gets what a hypocrite he was when they just took on mortgage debt. Horrible people.

Usually 10 minutes is all I can take. I try, Lord knows I try, to watch the entire show. I cannot comprehend why it has relatively high ratings. At least Sherlock returns Sunday so I can lose myself is something more worthwhile.

At least Sherlock returns Sunday...

That's this Sunday? January 19th? Thank you! If I'd missed it, I would have been pretty unhappy. Can't wait to find out how Sherlock faked his death, and what John will say when he first sees Sherlock again.

I've never seen "Sherlock" and your one sentence about it makes it sound more interesting than the whole season of Sister Wives: Pass the Kleenex and Mascara.

Maybe the excessive crying is a symptom of depression? Perhaps she could benefit by seeing a professional?

Cuz some of that stuff sounds like what I would do during a major depressive episode.

Yea, if I was given only three days notice about the move, I'd have a major meltdown. A move like that would be hard for anyone, but for an autistic person, it'd be even worse.

Exactly. I found out as an adult that I have Asperger's, and I know that if I had such short notice before a move, I would have a serious meltdown. Also, as someone on the autism spectrum, I have a hard time being around my stepdad's grandchildren as the younger ones are exactly like the Howlers from another TLC show.

I've never seen "Sherlock" and your one sentence about it makes it sound more interesting than the whole season of Sister Wives: Pass the Kleenex and Mascara.

It's a great show, but there are only three 90-minute episodes in a season. The first two seasons are available on Netflix, if you have it. PBS will have the Season 3 Episode 1 show up probably within a week.

Oh yeah, the big reveal of Sherlock's not-death was hilarious! He crashed John's romantic dinner, pretended to be a waiter, and served John and Mary wine. He's standing at their table, chatting away because he can't believe that John wouldn't have recognized him instantly despite him being somewhat disguised and using a different voice and accent. Sherlock's completely oblivious to their obvious lack of interest in talking to the waiter while they looked at each other with these "Can you believe this guy? He just won't leave!" looks. John can be forgiven for this, because he's convinced Sherlock has been dead for two years and Mary had never met Sherlock before. On top of that, John is trying to propose and Mary is aware of that, so they really wish the chatty waiter would leave!

So, why is Truley so sick in the next show? I'm assuming she must be ok now, or we would have heard.

The wife's going to San Fran to buy dresses was so stupid. I'm sure LV has many stores.

So, why is Truley so sick in the next show? I'm assuming she must be ok now, or we would have heard.

The wife's going to San Fran to buy dresses was so stupid. I'm sure LV has many stores.

Also, wouldn't it be hard(er) to find a "modest" dress in S.F.? You would think they would go to Utah for that...

From what I read, she had kidney failure and was in the hospital for 6 weeks. No idea why her kidneys were failing.

omg Robyn got Janelle a shirt that she knew would probably be too small. What a beeotch. Good for Janelle putting it on and doing that 5k!!

On the couch interview with 2 of the girls, Mariah said something about her graduation being such a big deal because her mom (Meri) was the only one to graduate. :shock: Anyone else catch that? WTF? I thought Robyn had graduated and went off to college before she met and married her first husband. I always assumed Janelle and Christine had graduated too. If Mariah was right, and Meri was the only one to graduate it was a real -itch move of her (Mariah) to say that with her other sibling sitting right there.

I think the "Moving in 3 days with no notice" was a total farce for tv ratings. I am pretty sure several of the kids already knew. I also wonder about the legalities of Robyn just taking her kids out of state isn't legal and I'm betting she had to do at least some behind the scenes stuff to do it.

I also thought that going all the way to San Francisco for a modest dress was stupid. You'd think Utah, being Mormon central, would have plenty of options. Plus, it would be closer so they would spend less money on travel.

I don't have any kids, but Robyn bringing Solomon everywhere is getting annoying. Sure, she is still breastfeeding, but at 2, that isn't all he is living on. She could have pumped before and during their trip and left him there, but I guess he is the golden child so gets to go everywhere.

The relationship those women have with each other are so bad. They even feel awkward taking a phone call from Kody. Their relationships are so private they can't talk to their husband?

I thought the scene in the pub was funny and laughable for different reasons. It was weird that they actually tried alcohol, while Kody has made a point of going to a bar and ordering water. Robyn seemed to make a point of not having any. And while Janelle was talking on the couch about trying it and how there was nothing Kody could do, Robyn added her sly comment about "but he is your husband". I so don't like her.

From what I read, she had kidney failure and was in the hospital for 6 weeks. No idea why her kidneys were failing.

Christine must have been in agony.

just got caught up on SW and I am feeling a "Sister Wives Closet Dress Barn Designs" coming on soon - anyone else see a tie-in to that ridiculous dress-designing scheme? I don't understand the big to-do about modesty, though, when they have no trouble trying on and including non-modest dress on the show and don't hold their children to modesty standards. I remember once, when they still lived in Utah, Christine told one of her daughters to change clothes but on the last episode several of the girls were in shorts and tank tops. They seem to be "losing their religion" pretty quickly - beer-drinking and knee-showing hussies!

Poor little Truely - she did look awfully sick and she has always looked so TINY to me.

ETA:

I also just read on a comment section on a news story about Truely that Kody's brother died in a car accident around that time,so the tears during the episode may be about the brother, not Truely, who seems to be doing fine, per internet chatter.

The episode with Truely sick...one, it was good to see that no cameras were allowed in the hospital while she was so ill (hello, Duggars, THAT'S how it should be), and two, this was by far the most real we' ve seen the Browns. Meri's lack. of much reaction about the situation was very telling, and Aspyn's breakdown and continued running of the household shows what a mature and caring young woman she is. How scary for them and wonderful T is better.

When I was in the hospital, I only allowed my mom to take pictures of me provided they would not be out on Facebook. I think she wanted to send some reassurance toy father, who had to be out of state.

If I knew my mom was filming me for national television... Well, I don't even let myself be posted on Facebook, so you can guess my reaction. I look stoned on those pictures. Oh wait, I WAS.

Good on the Browns for not filming their sick child. I hope she's doing better.

Not saying that the Browns didn't say no cameras but it might not have been up to them. The kibosh might have been the doing of the hospital.

I think they were in either a pediatric hospital or at least a large pediatric wing and I'd guess the no filming thing was the rule of the hospital.

I'm still not clear about what actually happened to the poor child. She's always looked frail. Dehydration after a stomach bug? Christine didn't realize that a child suddenly going cross-eyed was a sign something was very wrong?

I think Kody's brother died in June and this appears to have been happening at the end of the summer when Mariah was heading off to school.

I think they were in either a pediatric hospital or at least a large pediatric wing and I'd guess the no filming thing was the rule of the hospital.

I'm still not clear about what actually happened to the poor child. She's always looked frail. Dehydration after a stomach bug? Christine didn't realize that a child suddenly going cross-eyed was a sign something was very wrong?

I think Kody's brother died in June and this appears to have been happening at the end of the summer when Mariah was heading off to school.

You know, I always felt the same about Truely. She's always looked like there was something not quite right... Very frail and a bit out of it. I hope it's nothing too serious!

If she did have a developmental disorder, then good on them for respecting Truely's privacy!

I was also shocked that she didn't mention fear of dehydration before they arrived at the ER and were told that Truely's kidneys were failing. I only have two young children and I know that if my kids go more then six hours without urinating then they're very dehydrated. I would think as mother to so many and caregiver to even more Christine would have been concerned about dehydration if Truly hadn't urinated in awhile.

I lived in LV for a few years, and it appeared to me they were at Summerlin Hospital, which is an amazing, huge, state of the art hospital. This would make sense because aren't they on the west side of town?

ETA: Summerlin Hospital has added a PICU in the last few years, so I really think that is where Truley was hospitalized.

Also, I teach young special needs kids (birth -8) and when Truley was on the couch I thought she seemed pretty much developmentally on track. I think it may be a matter of she hasn't grown into her looks quite yet. She has Aspyn's unusually set eyes, which to me makes her look a bit "off" right now, but I think Aspyn turned out to be a lovely young lady. You know she isn't being raised by the brightest people on earth either....

The episode with Truely sick...one, it was good to see that no cameras were allowed in the hospital while she was so ill (hello, Duggars, THAT'S how it should be), and two, this was by far the most real we' ve seen the Browns. Meri's lack. of much reaction about the situation was very telling, and Aspyn's breakdown and continued running of the household shows what a mature and caring young woman she is. How scary for them and wonderful T is better.

Robyn, Meri, and Janelle seemed kind of unconcerned, as well. Even Mariah's reaction when Cody told her he needed to be at the hospital and would not be making the trip with her to drop her off at college; seemed immature and selfish. I know she could be disappointed; but she is old enough to understand the seriousness of her very young sister's critical condition. Maybe they're dehydrated, too! Happy Truly is better, too :)

I was also shocked that she didn't mention fear of dehydration before they arrived at the ER and were told that Truely's kidneys were failing. I only have two young children and I know that if my kids go more then six hours without urinating then they're very dehydrated. I would think as mother to so many and caregiver to even more Christine would have been concerned about dehydration if Truly hadn't urinated in awhile.

Yeah, I don't think it's too out there to get dehydrated from a stomach bug, especially with small kids... sometimes it's hard to keep even liquids down, and you have to force your kids to drink. But I kind-of think most parents would notice something is off? My sister had to get IV fluids when she had a stomach bug at 3 or 4 but my mom noticed she was getting worse and took her in, and it wasn't that big of a deal because it hadn't gotten too severe yet. They were able to do that at the regular clinic. IDK though, maybe it just happened slowly and it was hard to pick up on how bad things had gotten while it was going on.

I'm glad they didn't let the cameras into the hospital, though (whether that was the family's or hospital's decision). Most of the time, it just doesn't seem respectful or appropriate to me, unless it's specifically a medical show/documentary. Could just be me and my experiences but I think especially when you are not at your best you have a right to privacy and not having cameras shoved in your face! This reminds me, I had my blood drawn a month or so ago, and there was a new sign in the lab room prohibiting pictures. I don't want to know what type of situation led to that being necessary :doh: (I do know people who have posted pictures of their hospital bracelets not realizing it contained identifying information, so I'm guessing something along those lines.)

Archived