IGNORED

The Demise of VF & Doug Phillips is a Tool - Part 5

happy atheist

Good summary, Palimpsest.

Someone just above Farris also says that it was about 20 years ago:

Sue Smith Michaels One Sunday afternoon about 20 years ago, when Doug Phillips was just getting everything started, he called my husband. Phillips was trying to talk Mike into joining his organization and moving to Texas. Well, I knew that would never happen, as we farm, and own ground in Ohio. But one thing my husband said after the conversation that I will never forget: "That man is CRAZY!"

October 31, 2013 at 5:08pm

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a lot of people know what he's done, financially, but they are afraid of him. He's a lawyer - who in their right mind is going to take on someone like that. This also makes sense of why he went off on Bradrick the way he did. I'm sure he threatened to take legal action against him if he revealed any wrongdoing on Dougs part.

Hey all, been out of town, so I just saw this...

The whole LawyerTool thing is something I've been wondering about. Did Doug ever actually litigate any cases? I know he was an attorney for HSLDA, but I don't recall that the organization has ever gone to court. Was he acting as his own attorney in the Jen Epstein thing? Cause here's the thing. I'm a lawyer, in that I passed the bar fifteen years ago. I have never litigated a case in my life. I know what's involved in filing a case, but I haven't written a brief since law school. If I were to represent myself in court, I'd fail. That's all there is to it.

I think people who don't know the legal system think "Dude's a lawyer, he'd have it on lock." But that is not true. "Lawyer" is as much a catchall term as "doctor." A dermatologist can't replace a surgeon. A neurologist can't replace a general practitioner. They all had the same basic training, but went on to develop different skills. Like Doug, I went to law school (and not to brag, but my school was way higher ranked than his) and I'm now a researcher. I can't go do a litigator's job. A litigator can't do my job.

Even if he has litigated, like, ever in his life, if you don't keep up your skills you lose them. He's been running around in costumes, "preaching" and hucking his toys. How long has it been since he's read a case decision? How long since he wrote a legal complaint? Does he even know how to research anymore? The field has changed a lot.

It makes me sick when he uses his whole OOOOO LAWYER schtick to intimidate people. If he were faced with a real lawyer, Dougie would wet his breeches.

Good summary, Palimpsest.

Someone just above Farris also says that it was about 20 years ago:

Thanks! I was expecting to find more dirt though. Disappointing. OTOH, I lack google-fu so others may find more!

I said +/- because I didn't find an exact date for Doug leaving HSLDA and Sue may be right about the 20 years. I think he actually moved to Texas closer to 1996/7 and church planted BCA before Vision Forum really took off. The first VF catalogue was 1999, if memory serves.

Hey all, been out of town, so I just saw this...

The whole LawyerTool thing is something I've been wondering about. Did Doug ever actually litigate any cases? I know he was an attorney for HSLDA, but I don't recall that the organization has ever gone to court. Was he acting as his own attorney in the Jen Epstein thing? Cause here's the thing. I'm a lawyer, in that I passed the bar fifteen years ago. I have never litigated a case in my life. I know what's involved in filing a case, but I haven't written a brief since law school. If I were to represent myself in court, I'd fail. That's all there is to it.

I think people who don't know the legal system think "Dude's a lawyer, he'd have it on lock." But that is not true. "Lawyer" is as much a catchall term as "doctor." A dermatologist can't replace a surgeon. A neurologist can't replace a general practitioner. They all had the same basic training, but went on to develop different skills. Like Doug, I went to law school (and not to brag, but my school was way higher ranked than his) and I'm now a researcher. I can't go do a litigator's job. A litigator can't do my job.

Even if he has litigated, like, ever in his life, if you don't keep up your skills you lose them. He's been running around in costumes, "preaching" and hucking his toys. How long has it been since he's read a case decision? How long since he wrote a legal complaint? Does he even know how to research anymore? The field has changed a lot.

It makes me sick when he uses his whole OOOOO LAWYER schtick to intimidate people. If he were faced with a real lawyer, Dougie would wet his breeches.

:lol: at the bolded.

As to the rest, I think you have hit the proverbial nail on the head. If Doug ever was a decent lawyer he has probably forgotten most of it. He was never a litigator, afawk.

Doug's MO seems to be to intimidate people with threats of legal action. In that crowd people are supposed to mediate things under Biblical principles so it is almost a "sin" to involve the courts in disputes. Doug's foes, or victims, have been terrorized by letters written in legalese and/or have run out of money to fight him in court.

His pattern seems also to use other people/lawyers to do his dirty work. He used a couple of the other attorneys in his VF stable in the two cases that immediately spring to mind. The Epstein case, but also in the Raising the Allosaurus chicanery. This website details the Allosaurus scandal from Joe Taylor's perspective and you might want to cast a critical trained legal eye over the story: Raisingthetruth.com/villainy-behind-the-mask-of-virtue-written-by-mary-gavin-terry-beh/

I think most people would be intimidated by him. Even if it was empty threats, the average joe wouldn't know that he doesn't litigate and would assume that he has powerful friends. It's just a perception people have of lawyers. It would be fun to see someone take him on in court though. I suspect your pants-wetting scenario would come true!

I think most people would be intimidated by him. Even if it was empty threats, the average joe wouldn't know that he doesn't litigate and would assume that he has powerful friends. It's just a perception people have of lawyers. It would be fun to see someone take him on in court though. I suspect your pants-wetting scenario would come true!

ITA...even if someone has never litigated a case, I would still assume they would know wayyyy more than I would. However I'm sure Dougie knows exactly who this threat would work on and who it wouldn't work on.

For the record, I've checked out Texas Bar Associations member directory. There is no Doug or Douglas Phillips listed as a past or present member. My thought right now is that he has a JD but never sat for the bar. Calling himself a lawyer was probably just a way to puff himself up.

'

Unless he took and passed the bar in another state.

Didn't we go down this trail once before and it was Virginia, DC, or Maryland where he was a member of the bar? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Didn't we go down this trail once before and it was Virginia, DC, or Maryland where he was a member of the bar? Or am I thinking of someone else?

He's admitted to the bar of Washington, DC:

Douglas W Phillips

Vision Forum

4719 Blanco Road

San Antonio TX 78212

Email: Email

Phone: 210-854-7196

Fax: 210-340-8577

Membership Status: Active

Disciplinary history: No

Date of admission: November 3, 1995

Being admitted to the bar of Washington DC doesn't mean he can practice in Texas unless he gets a waiver or they have a reciprocity agreement with DC (or any other state he is admitted into). If "other state" is like my state there are residency requirements (and THEY check) and continuing learning classes he MUST take to keep active.

For the record, I've checked out Texas Bar Associations member directory. There is no Doug or Douglas Phillips listed as a past or present member. My thought right now is that he has a JD but never sat for the bar. Calling himself a lawyer was probably just a way to puff himself up.

'

Unless he took and passed the bar in another state.

I'm inactive with the Texas Bar Association and I'm listed. (Yes, I passed the bar, but I live in another state and work as a systems analyst for a financial instutition now.)

And the next iteration of VF is about to begin:

spiritualsoundingboard.com/2014/01/31/christian-patriarchy-is-alive-and-well-ncfic-director-scott-brown-moves-into-position-to-fill-the-void-left-by-doug-phillipsvision-forum/

^^^^

Yup. We called it! Scott Brown is the annointed heir.

So when will the Hazardous Journeys begin again? I so miss those manly men demonstrating their total ignorance of other cultures on their free vacations!

And the next iteration of VF is about to begin:

spiritualsoundingboard.com/2014/01/31/christian-patriarchy-is-alive-and-well-ncfic-director-scott-brown-moves-into-position-to-fill-the-void-left-by-doug-phillipsvision-forum/

6012700112_4b960cdfc4.jpg

:D

But this isn't new....the NCFIC internship has already been around.

True. NCFIC "graduated" their first class of 5 interns in 2009 and it was similar to some of the VF program on a smaller scale. I think (bad memory) Bradrick! helped set up the program and run it post marriage to Kelly.

By the looks of the shiny new advert Scott wants to scoop those lamb-like interns left hanging by VF's closing right into his fold quickly. That is what we expected and called. Also, the paperwork is a dead rip-off of VF's and I'm not sure that was always so.

From the NCIFC intern application:

The duties of interns at the office may include, but are not limited to: writing, researching, studying, editing, proofreading, web and graphic design, listening to audio messages, making phone calls, janitorial duties, and general business office tasks.

Hmmm. Something's missing....

The duties of interns at the office may include, but are not limited to: writing, researching, studying, editing, proofreading, web and graphic design, listening to audio messages, making phone calls, janitorial duties, reading over at FreeJ Jinger (FJ), fixing typos & grammar errors as indicated by FJ posts, re-writing and/or purging NCFIC web materials as needed in response to FJ posts, and general business office tasks.

There - fixed it for you!

:dance:

If Scott Brown is taking interns does this mean we have to get twin2 out of the widow's weeds?

I guess he's good enough but without the cosplay this is not going to be nearly as exciting as her first snarkiage with the Tool.

Don't know if anyone's caught this yet - Peter BRADRICK!'s Facebook page has been taken down.

Don't know if anyone's caught this yet - Peter BRADRICK!'s Facebook page has been taken down.

Nooooooo? The thot plickens!

ETA. Fuck DWT got there first! :lol:

Nooooooo? The thot plickens!

ETA. Fuck DWT got there first! :lol:

Hey, it's happened to DWT plenty of times, too! "Goddamn it, mumble, mumble..." :)

I can't believe BRADRICK! is gone. Did he close his manly men save the poor womens organization?

I hope the Scottie's interns bring us as much joy as Dougie's did. Will there be manly wide stances? "Dangerous" journeys to popular tourist traps to show that they have dominion? I can't wait to find out.

Archived