IGNORED

The Continuing Fall of VF and Doug Phillips is a tool-Part 4

Boogalou

I saw it in a local grocery store...and I know they have it in the Food Lion there. I think it's flour and pepper. Hell, they even have INSTRUCTIONS on how to make it! I personally think that is blasphemy!!!!!!!!

:embarrassed: I've used the sausage gravy mix from FoodLion before. I add my own sausage. It isn't the best gravy in the world but it isn't horrible. I've also messed up the instructions and had it not turn out before. :embarrassed: I usually make gravy but having a mix around comes in handy when I'm too lazy to do it in the morning and people want sausage and gravy biscuits.

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly! I can envision Doug (Phillips who is a tool) dressed in his velvet smoking jacket, writing by candlelight with a quill and pot of ink. He probably kisses his own hand after writing a particularly pretentious phrase, impressed by his own cleverness.

The young Amy March would fit right in with the VF crowd.

Edited to add that Doug Phillips is a tool.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A bunch of them write like that, but Doug the tool really takes the cake. Jasmine Baucham has tendencies that way.....which is a shame b/c she's a bright lady.

The friend's son had been taught Brown deserved to be hanged and was a criminal before he moved to KS and saw the mural.... which is what sort of freaked the kid out.

Reminds me of a college roommate from New York state who freaked out upon encountering a statue of Jeff Davis on the South Mall at the University of Texas at Austin. "He's a war criminal!" I have to honestly admit that I didn't know who he was, growing up as I did in the time when we didn't talk about the Civil War because, well, it was embarrassing. (Which was after the era of talking about the Civil War because it was the Lost Cause.)

Exactly! I can envision Doug (Phillips who is a tool) dressed in his velvet smoking jacket, writing by candlelight with a quill and pot of ink. He probably kisses his own hand after writing a particularly pretentious phrase, impressed by his own cleverness.

The young Amy March would fit right in with the VF crowd.

Edited to add that Doug Phillips is a tool.

HA! I do too...like Jon Lovitz as the Master Thespian

1986-04-19-11.jpg

:embarrassed: I've used the sausage gravy mix from FoodLion before. I add my own sausage. It isn't the best gravy in the world but it isn't horrible. I've also messed up the instructions and had it not turn out before. :embarrassed: I usually make gravy but having a mix around comes in handy when I'm too lazy to do it in the morning and people want sausage and gravy biscuits.

Ummm...what's a little flour, milk, pepper? Brown the sausage, toss in the flour, milk and pepper. Let it get nice and thick. I will admit to canned biscuits because I don't keep buttermilk in the house....

Except the young Amy March still went to school.

So did Dougie--so what's HIS excuse?

I have also. It isn't that I don't know how to make sausage gravy from scratch but sometimes I am just lazy and still want my sausage gravy over biscuits. Plus, for some reason, I just like the taste of the brand that I use. However, I will own up to the fact that I can NOT make decent biscuits so I use frozen ones. No, don't give me your recipe for biscuits. No matter how fool proof or easy you make the instructions, I will screw it up.

Peanut soup sounds wonderful. Any links to good, authentic recipes?

Reminds me of a college roommate from New York state who freaked out upon encountering a statue of Jeff Davis on the South Mall at the University of Texas at Austin. "He's a war criminal!" I have to honestly admit that I didn't know who he was, growing up as I did in the time when we didn't talk about the Civil War because, well, it was embarrassing. (Which was after the era of talking about the Civil War because it was the Lost Cause.)

I am from the south and the love of the Confederacy and Southern war heros is a pet peeve of mine so I wouldn't disagree with her outrage.However, I have grown to except that I am in the minority here.

I never followed Doug, who is a Tool, Philips until the the scandal. So after reading all the threads, there is something I don't understand. Why all the costumes? Were they just dressing up for costume parties? Was the whole Titanic thing just a theme and they made it into a weird religious experience? Were they putting on plays? I keep reading about the costumes but I don't get the point.

Ummm...what's a little flour, milk, pepper? Brown the sausage, toss in the flour, milk and pepper. Let it get nice and thick. I will admit to canned biscuits because I don't keep buttermilk in the house....

I've ruined gravy so many times. I can make biscuits though that taste great without buttermilk. So there is that. We buy our sausage from a local farmer and it comes in packages bigger than we need for one meal, so I divide it up, make some into patties and go ahead and brown the rest and freeze it in the serving sizes we need. So it is just easier to get a package of gravy mix, defrost the cooked sausage and make biscuits sometimes. I do not care one bit if people on the internet look down on my cooking skills for the occasional use of gravy mix. :lol:

I never followed Doug, who is a Tool, Philips until the the scandal. So after reading all the threads, there is something I don't understand. Why all the costumes? Were they just dressing up for costume parties? Was the whole Titanic thing just a theme and they made it into a weird religious experience? Were they putting on plays? I keep reading about the costumes but I don't get the point.

Ah, socalrules, that is one of the great mysteries of the universe. :D

I think you could have followed Dougie and VF from the very beginning, and not really have a solid answer to that. Some of it was loosely connected to presentations, although I don't think there were any plays. But mostly it was just what people who are honest about it would just enjoy, and call cosplay.

Dougie, being Dougie, seemed to imagine there was some deep philosophy involved, hearkening back to the imaginary Good Old Days.

My banana bread calls for buttermilk, so I just make it by adding vinegar to milk. Can't you do that with biscuits? I buy the canned biscuits but they have trans fats (unless you go to a place like trader joes and get theirs). Bisquick also has trans fats. I think I need a biscuit recipe.

I buy the packets for gravy too :/

My banana bread calls for buttermilk, so I just make it by adding vinegar to milk. Can't you do that with biscuits? I buy the canned biscuits but they have trans fats (unless you go to a place like trader joes and get theirs). Bisquick also has trans fats. I think I need a biscuit recipe.

I buy the packets for gravy too :/

Yes! I use vinegar and milk for buttermilk in my biscuits and they always come out great. Another tip? Freeze the butter and grate it. I swear it makes a huge difference.

Gravy mix? Vinegar and milk instead of real buttermilk? Lawd a mercy! (Clutches pearls). Where are my smellin' salts? No decent Southern lady cooks that way. :shock: :D

Gravy mix? Vinegar and milk instead of real buttermilk? Lawd a mercy! (Clutches pearls). Where are my smellin' salts? No decent Southern lady cooks that way. :shock: :D

I know, I'm ashamed! I'm a Californian! I cook mostly from scratch but no one ever taught me these things. At least I now make my pancakes and waffles from scratch instead of the just add water boxes...

here is a super easy way to do the sausage gravy. fry the sausage ( I put onions in it too) put in the amount of flour you use into the pan and stir it up. add your seasonings. then just slowly add milk and stir till it is as thick as you want go slow easy peezy. or do it the other easy way sausage and seasonings and milk heat it up. mix some cornstarch into milk or water till dissolved then add it slowly while stirring. just add till it is thick that's all there is too it. either one will eliminate lumps. or buy that gravy flour in a can and sprinkle it in.

We have sausage gravy mix... in the "Southern" section of the grocery store, which is in the "International" aisle. :lol:

I've tried it a few times but it's always too watery if you follow their directions, so I'd probably be better off taking the extra time to make it from scratch.

Keep a tight hold on those smelling salts, I have a question.

So does sausage gravy have big bits of sausage in it, kind of like a stroganoff, or is it all strained out and just used for flavor? The only time I've had biscuits and gravy is in a Denny's, and it sounds different than what people are describing here.

Well no one has EVER accused me of being a decent Southern lady. :lol: People might need to sit down for this next one, but this Christmas I just didn't feel like making cookies so I just bought the premade dough for my kids to decorate. They were already cut out into little Christmas shapes so I didn't even have to do that. I hate making sugar cookies.

We have sausage gravy mix... in the "Southern" section of the grocery store, which is in the "International" aisle. :lol:

I've tried it a few times but it's always too watery if you follow their directions, so I'd probably be better off taking the extra time to make it from scratch.

Dafuq? Where is this, if I might ask? I know Southerners are a bit different, but c'mon!

What else is in the "Southern" section? Cornbread mix? Turnip greens? Pinto beans? Okra? Catfish? Inquiring minds want to know!

:lol:

Doug published her recipe on the VF blog several years ago. Let's see if I can find it...aha! Here 'tis, with all of Dougie's fabulousness of description thrown in for good measure:

Translation into Normal People's English:

"I really love Virginia-style peanut soup, so I asked my wife to scare up a recipe and make me some. It was delicious! Thanks, hon!"

Translation into Normal People's English:

"I really love Virginia-style peanut soup, so I asked my wife to scare up a recipe and make me some. It was delicious! Thanks, hon!"

Well, that was the most flowery language recipe I ever read.

Archived