IGNORED

The Continuing Fall of VF and Doug Phillips is a tool-Part 4

Boogalou

I must be dense because I don't get it. What does he mean "once more into the breach" and is douglaswinston Doug Phillips is a Tool? Is that a photo on the wall of Doug's family?

Yes, if you click on "douglaswinston" it takes you to Doug Phillips' page. The photo is of Perry and his family, so I assume it's his office.

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must be dense because I don't get it. What does he mean "once more into the breach" and is douglaswinston Doug Phillips is a Tool? Is that a photo on the wall of Doug's family?

I think the photo is of Perry's family. I think Doug (Phillips who is a tool) is making a manly, "swashbuckling" reference to all the swords and weaponry stacked in the corner. He must be pining for those sweaty romps with the VF men at the warehouse, dressing up and dueling in the stockroom.

Because, y'know, Doug Phillips is a tool.

I think the photo is of Perry's family. I think Doug (Phillips who is a tool) is making a manly, "swashbuckling" reference to all the swords and weaponry stacked in the corner. He must be pining for those sweaty romps with the VF men at the warehouse, dressing up and dueling in the stockroom.

Thanks for the explanation, DWT and MCD. Sorry, I must have Christmas brain...

It is a quote from my husband's favorite Shakespeare play, Henry the Fifth. The king is exhorting his men to be brave and continue fighting. The breach was a gap in the French wall and it took a lot of courage to run into a hole while the soldiers guarding the wall would be able to shoot at them or drop hot oil on their heads.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;

Or close the wall up with our English dead.

I've heard the saying used when someone is going into a risky or dangerous situation.

'Ello 'Ello!

What do we have here?

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.565309936890394.1073741834.113049618783097&type=3 < It'$ a public $ite of a patriarchal photographer, I'm sure he wouldn't mind the publicity !

Photos of Mr Joshua Phillip$ (the oldest, malest and most photogenic of the Phillip$ kids) off on his travels in Peru!

oh yeah and this

1077635_499161703505218_1871745520_o.jpg

Looks like someone inherited their daddy'$ love of dre$$ing up (Twin2 rejoice!).

$?

$!

Does the apple fall far from the tree? I $hall watch with intere$t. :popcorn2:

I don't mean to be show my ignorance but from which country or time period does Joshua's uniform originate? None of these people have ever served in the military. They love the outer facade without wanting to have earned the right to wear such outfits. I don't mind dress up but these people seem to think that dressing up as a soldier is the same thing as being a soldier.

Damn, those assholes are just dying to fight for the Confederacy, aren't they? Pretty boy would probably turn tail and skedaddle as soon the battle started.

:roll:

'Ello 'Ello!

What do we have here?

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.565309936890394.1073741834.113049618783097&type=3 < It'$ a public $ite of a patriarchal photographer, I'm sure he wouldn't mind the publicity !

Photos of Mr Joshua Phillip$ (the oldest, malest and most photogenic of the Phillip$ kids) off on his travels in Peru!

oh yeah and this

1077635_499161703505218_1871745520_o.jpg

Looks like someone inherited their daddy'$ love of dre$$ing up (Twin2 rejoice!).

$?

$!

Does the apple fall far from the tree? I $hall watch with intere$t. :popcorn2:

That pic, and the rest in the group it's in, were from the VF American Revisionist History extravaganza, discussed here (with some LOLing of photos):

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18312

Damn, those assholes are just dying to fight for the Confederacy, aren't they? Pretty boy would probably turn tail and skedaddle as soon the battle started.

:roll:

Is it Confederate uniform? I thought that the Confederates wore gray but I have to admit, I like history, but I've never been interested in the clothing side of history. There is nothing wrong with reenactments. I am just not into them.

Yeah, JT would run like a rabbit if he had to actually fight a battle.

Is it Confederate uniform? I thought that the Confederates wore gray but I have to admit, I like history, but I've never been interested in the clothing side of history.

Uniform color was not . . . uniform! :D

It seems the Confederates wore various shades of gray and tan, and used dyes that changed a lot with exposure. I'm in the middle of the book Confederates in the Attic at the moment, and there is some discussion of this -- otherwise, I wouldn't have thought about it, either.

On the thread I linked above, Joan of Snarc opined that JTP's uniform and facial hair were probably modeled after those of Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard.

You'd think Son of Tool would have made sure his coat was GRAY, even if uniform color varied among Confederates (butternut was a really popular color, I've read) just so no one would EVER mistake him for a damned Yankee.

:think:

Here's a page with some Union and Confederate uniforms; his style is definitely Rebel:

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ances ... iforms.htm

You'd think Son of Tool would have made sure his coat was GRAY, even if uniform color varied among Confederates (butternut was a really popular color, I've read) just so no one would EVER mistake him for a damned Yankee.

:think:

Here's a page with some Union and Confederate uniforms; his style is definitely Rebel:

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ances ... iforms.htm

It may be that it is based on the color in this portrait:

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/PROJECTS/denbi ... regard.jpg

but with the sleeve braid and other fancy trimmings that Beaureagard had on other jackets.

It seems the Confederates wore various shades of gray and tan, and used dyes that changed a lot with exposure. I'm in the middle of the book Confederates in the Attic at the moment, and there is some discussion of this -- otherwise, I wouldn't have thought about it, either.

On the thread I linked above, Joan of Snarc opined that JTP's uniform and facial hair were probably modeled after those of Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard.

According to Wikipedia, Beauregard attended the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. I am pretty certain that Beauregard wouldn't consider playing dress up as an alternative to going to college.

I also found this article online

http://www.theatlantic.com/past/issues/ ... n-flag.htm

Beauregard was rumored to travel with hordes of concubines and wagonloads of champagne; he was known to have been a favorite of Charleston ladies, who smothered him with letters, flowers, flags, and scarves. According to Tony Horwitz's Confederates in the Attic (1998), Beauregard had a servant to wax his moustache daily, and summoned his own cow from New Orleans, claiming that his delicate stomach could abide no other milk. Southerners were smitten with Beauregard's aristocratic mien and aloof distinction, and his legend quickly radiated throughout the Confederacy.

Yes. They have the exact same rights.

I don't think that is a true statement. Maybe in a few jurisdictions, but not in all, and certainly not for federal marriage benefits.

Is that Doug's esteemed nanny?

No.

Take a wild guess which one Doug Phillip$ allowed access to his kids and home, featured prominently in VF literature (even giving extra airtime to her in a video thanking Michelle Duggar where she describes really, really wanting 19 children. THAT$ A LOT OF $HAGGING AMIRITE?), bares a resemblances to a young Elizabeth Beall Phillip$, took around the world on trip$, conference$, etc....

:music-tool: :popcorn2:

I think a sparkly codpiece would really round out the outfit.

I don't think that is a true statement. Maybe in a few jurisdictions, but not in all, and certainly not for federal marriage benefits.

Thanks for clarification

OMFG WTH? This is....well..beyond hideous!

I just had to stare in horror.

I just finished reading that (excellent, BTW). Rob would definitely be deriding Dougie and his crew as total farbs.

Wasn't Howard Phillips from Boston? His wikipedia entry said that he settled in Virginia near Washington D.C. Considering his family background, it would seem more natural for Doug to want his family to dress up as Union soldiers not the side that lost. I don't understand the romanticism for the Confederates. Certainly I can understand why a historian would want a more nuanced approach to the some of the southern soldiers than just "These were the bad guys". I can't comprehend worshipping the Confederates. The south fought the war primarily over slavery. Period. The south started the war so would be considered terrorists today.

Archived