IGNORED

XGay Greg & DeDe Pt 7 - Still Pregnant After All These Years

happy atheist

J.C. Penney's, I wore that same dress to a wedding in 1984! Granted, I was not a racist and I weighed 120 lbs.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lasted about 7:30--long enough to hear the "They have a good work ethic; they must be Mexicans" line. The audience had mostly given up on her by then, so I followed their lead.

She's trying to play to a black crowd by adopting the persona of a stereotypical clueless middle-class white lady--the kind who stays safely out in her mostly-white suburb and thinks going downtown (or wherever mostly black people live) is scary. And that could actually be funny schtick, done by somebody who was smart, deeply observant, and actually funny. But Dede--oops, sorry, DeAnn Alaine--is not funny.

And the back-and-forth between raunchy humor and "praise Jesus" just doesn't work. When she tries to use even the mildest "dirty" humor, it's embarrassing--she's all talk, but no real experience, and it shows. And anyone who didn't know who she was would likely think she's parodying dirty-minded born-again Christians, which she's not. If she really believes in the "praise Jesus" stuff, she'd do much better to steer away from the raunchy stuff and work toward building a Christian stand-up act. Christian stand-up comedians do exist, after all, and some do very well for themselves.

Putting together a stand-up act means getting up in front of audiences like this and failing miserably. It takes time to get your material honed to a sharp edge and develop your self-presentation. So I see her as someone who is just starting out on that steep learning curve, and yeah, she's going to suck. But there are countless other clueless people out there, just like her, who want to be stand-up comedians--and they never stop sucking. They're doing the wrong kind of comedy for who they are, or they've picked the wrong target audience, or they just can't understand why people don't think they're funny. And I think Dede's got at least two of those problems.

Her singing ability is lightweight, but not terrible; with coaching she could improve, and if she wrote actual funny songs I don't see why she couldn't sing as part of her act. Her ukulele playing is even worse than mine, however, and that's saying a lot.

Putting together a stand-up act means getting up in front of audiences like this and failing miserably. It takes time to get your material honed to a sharp edge and develop your self-presentation. So I see her as someone who is just starting out on that steep learning curve, and yeah, she's going to suck. But there are countless other clueless people out there, just like her, who want to be stand-up comedians--and they never stop sucking. They're doing the wrong kind of comedy for who they are, or they've picked the wrong target audience, or they just can't understand why people don't think they're funny. And I think Dede's got at least two of those problems.

I think she consistently overestimates her talents and doesn't work to hone them. The epic fail of her epic easter pagent last year appears to have taught her nothing. I have contemplated doing open mic for standup--but I'd pay extra not to have a 20 minute spot-- 5 or 10 minutes of sharp stuff is better than limitless lame.

I think she is so sure that she'll make it behind a microphone/camera that any mic or camera will do. Her old facebook before they started being homeless (before the Easter Pagent and whatever hell that rained down on them) she had a lot of actor types as her friends and some talent agency as her employer... similar to now. I think she doesn't much care if it is an actress, singer, stand up comedian, televangelist, extra about to be discovered for television, radio minister-- as long as there is a mic and a perceived audience. I also think they are beyond desperate for money-- and bouncing from thing to thing is their desperate attempt to get money.

I wonder if exgay greg's facebook is gone because no amount of bitching was getiting donations, and in a few weeks Greg Allen and Deann Alaine will drive away in a sign free car and exgay grade and his ever pregnant bride will cease to exist.

I got through about 9 minutes of that video and it was MUCH worse than I thought. I'm embarrased for all white folks.

That was terrible. I really feel embarrassed for her. But at the same time, she brought it on herself by not being funny and being herself.

The problem is, if this is performance art where does her son fit into this? :(

good point -- his situation is sad, her lack of responsibility is appalling, regardless of whether she's spoofing or not. But you're right, it's almost understandable if she's just so off her rocker that she can't parent. If she's mentally there and this is some kind of game, that's absolutely not ok.

She was terrible. Racist, homophobic, unfunny and out of her depth.

She's trying to play to a black crowd by adopting the persona of a stereotypical clueless middle-class white lady--the kind who stays safely out in her mostly-white suburb and thinks going downtown (or wherever mostly black people live) is scary. And that could actually be funny schtick, done by somebody who was smart, deeply observant, and actually funny. But Dede--oops, sorry, DeAnn Alaine--is not funny.

I think what Jezebel said is what I was trying to express -- she's playing up the clueless bigoted white lady, because she thinks that is what the black culture will find funny. And as you say, it could be, if done right, but this isn't it.

How does this "DeAnn Aline, first lady of comedy" persona fit in with the homeless, homophobic, ultra religious wife of XGG. Is she "ministering" through her "comedy" ?

I can't fathom it's art. All the radio shows, being homeless, losing her son, marrying Greg. I don't get it.

I know, it makes no sense to me either. I wouldn't be surprised if she thinks she actually is ministering through her comedy. That is bizarre but less bizarre than any other explanation I can think of...

I think what Jezebel said is what I was trying to express -- she's playing up the clueless bigoted white lady, because she thinks that is what the black culture will find funny. And as you say, it could be, if done right, but this isn't it.

As I was making dinner, it struck me--Dede performing for a black audience is like the clueless nerd desperately trying to impress the cool kids. The problem is, she doesn't fully understand all the subtleties involved in being "cool," so she just ends up looking like an even bigger dork. And resorting to self-deprecation through a clumsy stereotype isn't helping her at all.

Her attempts at comedy that deals with race and stereotypes are just dismal. They're so bad, they come across as cringe-inducingly racist. But I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that Dede herself actually isn't. Not in the sense of hating black people (or even Latinos), or thinking them lesser. She seems to be genuinely friendly toward the black people she's hanging out with, and wants to be liked and accepted by them.

At the same time, however, she's picking up stray bits of urban black culture and trying to show solidarity by using it as part of her comedy act. It's a "See? I'm white, but I get it! I'm cool, right?" But no, she doesn't really get it, not on the kind of deep or complex level she needs to in order to make it genuinely funny. This stuff hasn't been part of her experience until very recently, and it's only been as an observer, not as a lifelong participant with deep roots in a community and its history.

She's appropriating bits of black culture to play with as part of her act, and trying to convince black audiences to accept her, and she doesn't see why they wouldn't. And that is a much more subtle form of racism, and one that is really hard to get the person practicing it to see, because it doesn't come from fear or hatred. Instead, it comes from entitlement. It's an attitude of, "Oh, yeah, white people have oppressed you and been really mean, but I'm not like them! I'm different! Look--I'll even use aspects of your culture to prove it!"

And as someone who hasn't lived with systemic discrimination, it's really easy for her to get up in front of black audiences and play the self-deprecating fool, making fun of suburban white ladies for laughs. After the show, she can go out to the suburbs and blend right in, unlike members of her audience. She will be treated better just about everywhere she goes because she's white. She can afford to make a fool of her white self onstage, because she gets to enjoy the benefits of whiteness offstage. And she seems to be absolutely clueless about that, which makes her comedy act even less funny and harder to watch.

I know, it makes no sense to me either. I wouldn't be surprised if she thinks she actually is ministering through her comedy. That is bizarre but less bizarre than any other explanation I can think of...

I think she's looking for fame, first and foremost. She really, really needs to be in the spotlight, desperately.

I doubt she would be playing up the Jesus stuff so much, were it not an integral part of her survival. Is she a true believer? Yeah, probably. But she and Greg essentially live off church folks' generosity because hey, they're missionaries. Nobody wants to play host to a desperate, would-be comedienne and her lazy, parasitic husband, so they have to maintain convincing identities as good Christians with a legit ministry.

So Dede can't do a completely secular act, especially with raunchy jokes, then turn around the next day and talk about her and Greg's ministry. There's just too much disconnect. Her hosts would be justified in asking her, "How can you tell dirty jokes onstage, then go out as Christian missionaries?" So I do think she throws in all the stray "praise Jesus" bits so she can claim her act is part of her ministry. And maybe she really is dumb and socially tone-deaf enough not to see how inappropriate and out-of-place they are in her act.

If I didn't know she was a crazy born again lady I'd think that performance was a parody of a crazy born again lady.

The combination of the religion stuff, the abstinence stuff, the fucking ukulele, the racism........ Good god.

And that poor dude she dragged on stage to sing at. He couldn't get away fast enough. And apparently he's a "thug" because he's a young black man wearing a hat? Wtf?

I liked the bit that she was a virgin when she married Greg. You know...except for the part where she had a kid :evil-eye:

Also, the church people I know that are churching it so big they'd take in a couple of losers (in the name of God) and support them indefinitely would have been giving a definite :oops: to Dede dressing up in a revealing dress and "hooker heels" and wandering off to a bar to call strange men "naughty boys". :shock: In other words, they'd have had her bags packed when she got back.

If Dede was serious about becoming a good performer and connecting with the black crowds, she should pay Jezebel a commission for all the right-on analysis… :lol:

Also, I really liked how the dude on stage was leaning way away from her -- it could just be the awkwardness of trying to watch someone who is standing too close to where you are sitting, but I much prefer the interpretation that he's desperate to get away from her… :lol:

What the actual fresh hell did I watch? I cannot for the life of me understand why I just watched all twenty minutes of that unfunny, racist garbage. Get off the stage Dede, and get a damn job.

Looks like Xgay Greggy-poo didn't go anywhere. He just made it harder to search his profile.

I'm pretty convinced that Greg is likely reading here...otherwise why all the changes to try to profile lately?

facebook.com/gregahaislip?fref=pb&hc_location=friends_tab

No news other than Dede continuing to get work as an extra.

"Greg Allen" is back too: facebook.com/greg.haislip.39?fref=ts

He "likes" the movie "Saturday Night Fever". lol

"Greg Allen" is back too: facebook.com/greg.haislip.39?fref=ts

He "likes" the movie "Saturday Night Fever". lol

Boy, he contains multitudes, doesn't he? :roll:

After reading the thread on Victoria Jackson, I can't help but wonder if Dede thinks of her as a role model. There are many eerie similarities.

Something is really up with the Dodo twins.

facebook.com/gregahaislip/media_set?set=vb.100000196847385&type=2

Greg has done even more editing to his facebook...gone is the famous photo of him in his snazzy embroidered blazer. Looks like there is now only one picture of him and Dede together and a couple of Dede's son.

I'm starting to wonder if they have split? Greg is awfully quiet, and there is no promoting of Dede's new gig as First Lady of Comedy (granted, Dede's comedy likely wouldn't fly with Greg's followers).

Something is really up with the Dodo twins.

facebook.com/gregahaislip/media_set?set=vb.100000196847385&type=2

Greg has done even more editing to his facebook...gone is the famous photo of him in his snazzy embroidered blazer. Looks like there is now only one picture of him and Dede together and a couple of Dede's son.

I'm starting to wonder if they have split? Greg is awfully quiet, and there is no promoting of Dede's new gig as First Lady of Comedy (granted, Dede's comedy likely wouldn't fly with Greg's followers).

He seems to have two facebook pages under greg haislip, one very bible (though it was gone for a while, it seems to be back, and one with just the blazer picture. He also has the Greg Allen page, that is nearly empty.

DeDe has cleaned up her DeDe Haislip page and is all "thug love" on her deann Alaine page. I have not thought to look for a Greg Alaine page.

facebook.com/search/more/?q=Greg+Haislip&init=public

I watched it. And -

Omg, you were not joking.

What the fuck is wrong with her? I'm just... speechless.

So I see these two old bitties are still trolling around together. I haven't kept up with them since the "pregnancy" ended. This saga just keeps going and going! Are they still squatting at McDonalds? Did they ever get their motorcoach? Is Greg still gay--oops, Xgay? :wink-kitty:

• 3 weeks later...

The first lady of comedy is going to perform again tomorrow (saturday) at the Apache Cafe in Atlanta! The show will even include exotic dancers!! Maybe DD will be one of them LOL. Her facebook does say that she will be "giving you an EXTRAORDINARY SURPRISE!".

She isn't listed on the flyer this time for some reason (didn't want to pony up the extra money?)

Meshawriteshow.jpg

The first lady of comedy is going to perform again tomorrow (saturday) at the Apache Cafe in Atlanta! The show will even include exotic dancers!! Maybe DD will be one of them LOL. Her facebook does say that she will be "giving you an EXTRAORDINARY SURPRISE!".

She isn't listed on the flyer this time for some reason (didn't want to pony up the extra money?)

WHYYYYYY???? :doh: Didn't Deedster get that the audience couldn't stand her the first time?

Also, no Xgayzbride, I DON"T want a surprise.

WHYYYYYY???? :doh: Didn't Deedster get that the audience couldn't stand her the first time?

Also, no Xgayzbride, I DON"T want a surprise.

Perhaps the surprise is that she'd pregnant...

Actually, Greg has gone silent on every level, from what I can tell. Perhaps she is newly single?

Archived