IGNORED

SarahM has a BIG announcement on Monday!

Justme

I'm speculating here but I think it's the Maxwells' "conversational skills" at work here. I can imagine the time is spent in stiff conversation about DEATH, the Bible and SIN!. The luncheon is probably a mixture of religious proselytizing, Bible study, and the usual Maxwellian weirdness.

And the cheese paper in the sandwiches.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the 3 that were there were there in years before, from what I could tell of the pictures. All older ladies, when in previous years they'd had a few women in their 20s-40s.

I do agree that their wonderful conversational skills can't be endearing them to their neighbors. They probably don't push the older ladies with stuff on staying home and homeschooling, because what would be the point. The only other stuff is JESUS!, which I would bet the older ladies are more likely to agree with than the younger ones.

I don't know, I just bet their reality is hard to swallow for many of the woman that they are ostensibly trying to reach.

It looks like they have more food this year than in past years, but less guests.

If I was a neighbor I'd be very curious to go one time, but I think that would be enough.

I couldn't agree more with this;

From Sarah's post about the lady's luncheon: " and I find I learn more about others when they share from their lives"

Really? You find out about others when you let them talk about themselves? Glad it's only taken 30 years to realize that. Those poor (3) ladies who endured that luncheon :(

I have to say I really like the Maxwell's kitchen. It's very warm and inviting looking. The only thing I don't care for is the backsplash. I just don't care for the pattern and it doesn't seem like it goes with the (beautiful) granite countertops

It looks like they have more food this year than in past years, but less guests.

If I was a neighbor I'd be very curious to go one time, but I think that would be enough.

I couldn't agree more with this;

I have to say I really like the Maxwell's kitchen. It's very warm and inviting looking. The only thing I don't care for is the backsplash. I just don't care for the pattern and it doesn't seem like it goes with the (beautiful) granite countertops

I like their backsplash tile. It's travertine and one of the sons set it all himself, including the pattern. It was very "in" at the time they built the house and I see the same still in the newer homes, so still a trend. What I hate is the awful wood trim on the countertops. If you're going to do granite, go the extra mile and get the custom solid surface with the granite edges!

I like their backsplash tile. It's travertine and one of the sons set it all himself, including the pattern. It was very "in" at the time they built the house and I see the same still in the newer homes, so still a trend. What I hate is the awful wood trim on the countertops. If you're going to do granite, go the extra mile and get the custom solid surface with the granite edges!

I don't care for their countertops. They are cheap granite tile. I prefer a solid surface countertop.

Sarah cant spend time with anyone else her age, as they are all way ahead of her in life. She will be left out while they talk about their partners, children, jobs and hobbies.

It would be nice if Mary could meet other 17 year olds though, everyone she meets in life is either family members, old people or children.

I just can't get past the bible verses on the paper plates.

The ladies who lunch have definitely dwindled in numbers. I'm sure the few who do attend are either of a similar mindset or are just starved for company, no matter what baggage comes along with it. Those who dropped out or declined the invitation are probably put off by sales pitch that's behind every Maxwell interaction.

The ladies all have very small portions and don't seem to dare to eat until grace has been said. Intrigued by the bread buns with white stuff on top. Whatever are they?

The ladies all have very small portions and don't seem to dare to eat until grace has been said. Intrigued by the bread buns with white stuff on top. Whatever are they?

I think those were supposed to be the cinnamon rolls. They look disgusting.

I think those were supposed to be the cinnamon rolls. They look disgusting.

Thanks. I was trying to match the picture with the menu and didn't make that connection. They are so far from the cinnamon rolls that I know that my mind wouldn't process that.

Thanks. I was trying to match the picture with the menu and didn't make that connection. They are so far from the cinnamon rolls that I know that my mind wouldn't process that.

I know! They look like a bagel on the bottom. WTF?

The ladies who lunch have definitely dwindled in numbers. I'm sure the few who do attend are either of a similar mindset or are just starved for company, no matter what baggage comes along with it. Those who dropped out or declined the invitation are probably put off by sales pitch that's behind every Maxwell interaction.

I think those are the plates Terie is holding in the pic of her out shopping with the girls a few posts back.

Maybe this year all neighborhood ladies received a copy of the ultimate conversationalists book with their invite. That would surely scare them off!!

I know! They look like a bagel on the bottom. WTF?

To me, they look like those pre-made cinnamon rolls from a can, that were not baked for long enough.

To me, they look like those pre-made cinnamon rolls from a can, that were not baked for long enough.

That is what they appear to be, and the blog says "Thanks Mrs. Jay" where they are listed in the menu.

Also, there's bound to be folks, even though they are nice neighbors, who just don't get the family and their sheltering of adult kids. That has to be noticed because it's not freakin' normal even for folks who might be of a similar mindset, because Steveovah has gone to such extremes. I bet some of them are a bit dismayed.

And given how Steveovah responds to people who have trouble registering on their site, I can only imagine how he may act around his neighbors IRL. I bet he's ticked off a few.

Maybe this year all neighborhood ladies received a copy of the ultimate conversationalists book with their invite. That would surely scare them off!!

I wonder if over the years they had more people. But now they r so creep out by them they don't go.

What is this thing with paper plates and cups? Is it a fundie custom? Or a US thing?

It's the fundie disregard for the environment. We see it over and over in the fundie crowd. Their families are so big and their big fundie food events (they call it "hospitality", but living hell, don't invite more people than you have washable dishes for!), they are huge abusers of styrofoam and plastic. The Maxwells LOVE plastic water bottles. The Duggars love styrofoam plates and plastic cups.

It's the fundie disregard for the environment. We see it over and over in the fundie crowd. Their families are so big and their big fundie food events (they call it "hospitality", but living hell, don't invite more people than you have washable dishes for!), they are huge abusers of styrofoam and plastic. The Maxwells LOVE plastic water bottles. The Duggars love styrofoam plates and plastic cups.

Eh, I have a hard time faulting anyone for not wanting to do a shitload of dishes at a big gathering. I don't see the problem with using disposables once or twice a year for large gatherings. (Unless your the diggers and have an industrial size dishwasher, then there's no excuse.)

Using them every day, though, is just plain wasteful.

Eh, I have a hard time faulting anyone for not wanting to do a shitload of dishes at a big gathering. I don't see the problem with using disposables once or twice a year for large gatherings. (Unless your the diggers and have an industrial size dishwasher, then there's no excuse.)

Using them every day, though, is just plain wasteful.

Right, I don't have a problem with once or twice a year, either. But the Duggars do it every day. And the Maxwells buy a LOT of bottled water and seem to use disposable plates/cups while on the road. And that's something like 5 months out of the year.

Archived