IGNORED

SarahM has a BIG announcement on Monday!

Justme

I'm not going to lie, I'd probably go to a maxwell brunch if I were a neighbourhood lady - at least once. I think it'd be interesting field research of a sort, and because I'd be tempted to find a way to tell the girls that I'd help them if they wanted to leave. Plus I imagine "and then they made us talk about our favourite part of DEATH" would be an interesting anecdote to tell others. Maybe the local women have a "Free Sarah" theme to their knitting circle! :lol: (Or maybe I'm just a masochist!)

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe those three are just really, really unlucky at 'rock, paper, scissors' when the neighborhood ladies get together to decide which few will accept the invite? Or they just feel so sorry for the girls that they go to be kind. I really can't believe they truly go because they WANT to because we have all seen how exciting a Maxwell gathering is, after all.

One lady might go as she is lonely, another as she accepts any invitation with free food on offer, (even if it is rationed), another just to have a bloody great nose ....

Notice how portion sizes have increased and as with other posts this year, the pictures highlight this. Hi Stevie! :hand:

One lady might go as she is lonely, another as she accepts any invitation with free food on offer, (even if it is rationed), another just to have a bloody great nose ....

Notice how portion sizes have increased and as with other posts this year, the pictures highlight this. Hi Stevie! :hand:

Good point about the food proportions. I am glad we are making a difference in the world! :clap: There actually seemed to be a lot of food available - of course two animals crackers is a lot of food by maxwell standards, but the food was a lot even by normal standards. I wonder if they were expecting a lot more people who either cancelled at the last minute or just didn't show? Either way, I am glad food wasn't rationed at this event and the Maxwell women were allowed a couple hours of interaction with non-relatives.

Good point about the food proportions. I am glad we are making a difference in the world! :clap: There actually seemed to be a lot of food available - of course two animals crackers is a lot of food by maxwell standards, but the food was a lot even by normal standards. I wonder if they were expecting a lot more people who either cancelled at the last minute or just didn't show? Either way, I am glad food wasn't rationed at this event and the Maxwell women were allowed a couple hours of interaction with non-relatives.

I'm guessing they had more food because of fewer people.

No matter Steve's faults, he seems to genuinely love those little girls. There is not a single picture of Steve with the girls in which he does not looked enthralled and full of love for them. There's plenty to snark on Steve about without making stuff up.

It wasn't my intention to make stuff up. I have to admit I don't follow the blog that regularly, but from what I've seen, it was my impression that he only/mostly cared about his grandson. I may have been wrong, I haven't seen the photos with his granddaughters.

It wasn't my intention to make stuff up. I have to admit I don't follow the blog that regularly, but from what I've seen, it was my impression that he only/mostly cared about his grandson. I may have been wrong, I haven't seen the photos with his granddaughters.

I am just mad because you made me defend Steve :naughty: .

The girls are definitely a great source of joy to Steve if you go by the photos (I read the whole blog when I was home sick from work about a year ago) and there is a lot of love there. Whether it is a healthy love that will allow them to grow and be happy themselves, THAT is a different question. Josh may be appearing a lot on the blog because his mom is the current pregnant Maxwell and his dad is the "professional" photographer of the family.

Speaking from experience, it is possible to love your granddaughters while favoring your grandson.

We grandchildren always knew we were loved, but if it came down to us or the boys, we knew who would win out.

I can't help wondering if the Maxwells only invite ladies who meet their standards. Does the hot chick down the block who wears tank tops and shorts get an invite? The single mom who works outside of the house and sends her kids to daycare? The lesbian with short hair and a rainbow symbol in the window of her immaculately-restored Craftsman? The elderly single ladies living together who they suspect *might* by lesbians? The professor of French literature with an unmowed yard? The atheist living in sin with her boyfriend?

Sounds like a lively party to me!

I can't help wondering if the Maxwells only invite ladies who meet their standards.

I think so. I highly doubt their r many who do. Also I think some of their neighbors might be freaked out by them & what nothing to do w/ them.

Off topic but nothing was said on their blog about the 50th anniversary of JFK's assassination. No recollections from Stevie and Teri. I bet the kids don't even know who JFK was.

Off topic but nothing was said on their blog about the 50th anniversary of JFK's assassination. No recollections from Stevie and Teri. I bet the kids don't even know who JFK was.

Well, that would be getting all political and the Maxwells just don't do that. And I agree -- I'm sure the kids have no idea who JFK was.

Well, that would be getting all political and the Maxwells just don't do that. And I agree -- I'm sure the kids have no idea who JFK was.

They do know about Harry Truman, but only because he was from the Kansas City area. Sarah said he was infamous. My great grandmother had family in Greenwood Missouri and her cousins knew him personally.

They do know about Harry Truman, but only because he was from the Kansas City area. Sarah said he was infamous.

Sarah probably thinks "infamous" means "really famous."

I think maybe the Maxwell kids have heard of JFK but under layers of heavy fundie propaganda. Fundies have a worshipful view of the Founding Fathers, but a very negative view of a few recent presidents. I bet the JFK era is seen as the begining of the moral decline of America.....the feminists' movement, the civil rights era etc. I doubt the Maxwell kids see JFK's assassination as a watershed in modern US history....or, for that matter, any other major historical events in the modern era as meaningful to their lives. Judging by the way the Maxwells treat the news, they actively try to create a barrier between themselves and the rest of the world. 9/11, Katrina, Arab Spring.....the Maxwells find themselves "above" such trivial concerns. I believe that's how the Maxwell children see most anything dated after 1950's. As far as Steve is concerned, any historical events after the "fall" of American society is worthless and do not warrant more than a cursory skim.

When studying US history all they were probably taught about JFK was that he was the evil Catholic president.

I wonder if they were expecting a lot more people who either cancelled at the last minute or just didn't show?

The Maxwells, being the great movie fans that they are, :lol: just wanted to re-create the birthday party of Laurel Dallas.

Couldn't find just the scene, but it's about 41 minutes into the film:

http://vimeo.com/50565805

Archived