IGNORED

SarahM has a BIG announcement on Monday!

Justme

I've read the Bible before, obviously, but never straight through from start to finish. It's truly fascinating. I'm still in the OT and if you can plough through all the genealogies and such, it's a great story whether you're religious or not.

The begats!

I know a song about that, that would scandalize the fundies, despite being written in their imaginary more innocent time -- 1947.

bnC2byaKAOY

http://www.songlyrics.com/finian-s-rain ... at-lyrics/

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always wondered how the Maxwells and other fundies handle verses like this. You often hear of fundies praising their children for reading the Bible start to finish (eg, the Bateses), so clearly the children have encountered this verse. How do they explain it to the kids?

I think this is why they like the KJV so much. The language is so archaic the kids have no idea what they're reading about.

19 Yet she multiplied her whoredoms, in calling to remembrance the days of her youth, wherein she had played the harlot in the land of Egypt.

20 For she doted upon their paramours, whose flesh is as the flesh of asses, and whose issue is like the issue of horses.

See, no fucking clue what they're reading!

And Sarah might call you to hear your children recite this!!! :lol:

I think the phone number requirement is stop naysayers like Patty & Selma, Kylie M etc from signing up. :naughty:

That would indeed be a big deal for them, as Sarah has posted specifically that she doesn't put any physical descriptions of the Moody family into the books so that the kids can imagine (!!) the family any way they want...

Wow, that's actually kind of a cool concept for a kids book. Of the little I've read here about the Maxwells, I'm very surprised that there would be so much value placed on imagination.

Oh, YAWN. And also, what's all this with the games of chance? Isn't that verboten? Either I get an ebook, or I don't. "Winning?" We're getting mighty close to sorcery and devilment here, Stevus.

Sarah says the goal is to hide Gods word in your heart. Um, I don't think God wants people to hide his word in their hearts. He wants people to communicate and not just to the converted (lets face it, I doubt an un-Christian family is going to own the Moody books)

Sarah says she's going to participate in the memorization project too. I don't know, with bible time in the morning and bible time in the evening, done pretty much every day of her life, shouldn't she have everything in there memorized already?

You have got to be shitting me. That was the big news? My daily cup of coffee I bought down in the cafeteria was more interesting than that.

BORING. Here's what I care about: Why does Sarah's scarf clash so badly with her skirt? Why are the ends of her hair so fluffy? She needs a haircut.

Sarah says she's going to participate in the memorization project too. I don't know, with bible time in the morning and bible time in the evening, done pretty much every day of her life, shouldn't she have everything in there memorized already?

You'd think. I can't imagine reading the same book, the one and only book, every day for some 20+ years.

To make it a fair competition she should have to memorize some other standard recitation text, such as a long monologue from Shakespeare.

The photo of Poor Sarah and little ... Bethany? makes me sad. Bethany's chin is high, her grin is effortless, her shoulders are held back - she's got her life ahead of her and feels happy! and alive! and eager! .... and Aunt Poor Sarah is stoop-shouldered, sad-eyed, despite the wide smile. Sad for PS, sad for Bethany, Abby and Christine, who have their aunties' lives ahead of them, unless a miracle happens with Nathan and Melanie.

Oh, and, memorization? It's a great learning tool and a very handy skill. I'm seriously curious to know what tips PS has for her contestants. Back in the day - I'm Stevovah's reported age* - the style was rote; there might have been a few mnemonic aids suggested, but basically, you just repeated something (multiplication tables or a whole Psalm or a musical piece) until you "had it."

*we all know that Stevovah is ageless, as a deity :whistle:

Does Sarah keep any of the income from her Moody books? I could see her getting a small amount (perhaps a "tithe" of 10% of her income is actually given to her?) and her socking away most of the money but secretly buying one piece of china at a time and hiding it in a hole in the floor that she hollowed out with a soupspoon over many years of tearful, lonely and sleepless nights in the bunkbed.

Wait. I just got a Rupunzel and a prison novel mixed up. Whoops.

Then Saul said,“Thus shall you say to David,‘The king desires no bride-price except a hundred foreskins of the Philistines, that he may be avenged of the king’s enemies.’†Now Saul thought to make David fall by the hand of the Philistines. And when his servants told David these words, it pleased David well to be the king’s son-in-law. Before the time had expired, David arose and went, along with his men, and killed two hundred of the Philistines. And David brought their foreskins, which were given in full number to the king, that he might become the king’s son-in-law. And Saul gave him his daughter Michal for a wife.

1 Samuel 18:25-27

That is priceless! :lol:

For the love of all that is holy, ladies! Give my plumbing a break, I almost wet my pants here. :cracking-up: :cracking-up: :cracking-up:

Someone should infiltrate Maxhell and switch out the Bible text (but leave the covers) and replace it with passages from Tropic of Cancer, Lady Chatterly's Lover, Madame Bovary, and Fanny Hill.

callingchristians.com/2011/12/23/29-sexually-explicit-profane-and-dirty-stories-and-verses-in-the-bible/

What, you mean we shouldn't be digging out stories from this for Sarah's project?

"This thy stature is like to a palm tree, and thy breasts to clusters of grapes. I said, I will go up to the palm tree, I will take hold of the boughs thereof: now also thy breasts shall be as clusters of the vine, and the smell of thy nose like apples; – Bible : Song of Solomon (7) : 7 – 8."

"(Thy two breasts are like two young roes that are twins, which feed among the lilies. – Bible : Song of Solomon (4) : 5."

I'm hiding the word of God, right? :D

Sarah says the goal is to hide Gods word in your heart. Um, I don't think God wants people to hide his word in their hearts. He wants people to communicate and not just to the converted (lets face it, I doubt an un-Christian family is going to own the Moody books)

The 'hide God's word in your heart' comes from Psalm 119:11

"Thy Word have I hidden in my heart that I might not sin against Thee."

With regards to hiding God's word and communicate it, it's not either/or it's both/and.

I am a Christian and I have no desire to read any of the Moody books.

The 'hide God's word in your heart' comes from Psalm 119:11

"Thy Word have I hidden in my heart that I might not sin against Thee."

With regards to hiding God's word and communicate it, it's not either/or it's both/and.

I am a Christian and I have no desire to read any of the Moody books.

Wasn't that verse also made into an Amy Grant song? I know it was used in the pledge to the Bible (I think pledging to the Bible and the Christian Flag are rather stupid, and I say that as a Christian).

Wasn't that verse also made into an Amy Grant song? I know it was used in the pledge to the Bible (I think pledging to the Bible and the Christian Flag are rather stupid, and I say that as a Christian).

That's verse 105 - Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.

I was taught that we are to "hide the word in our heart" because our Bibles will be taken away during the "time of trouble" and we will need to have the bible memorized in order to access it.

I was taught that we are to "hide the word in our heart" because our Bibles will be taken away during the "time of trouble" and we will need to have the bible memorized in order to access it.

How do they interpret Hebrews 8:10 then?

This is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel

after those days, says the Lord:

I will put my laws in their minds,

and write them on their hearts,

and I will be their God,

and they shall be my people.

God's laws are in our minds and on our hearts (put there by God Himself). He never promised us a Bible.

You know, just when you think Stevie can't get any more obnoxious, arrogant, and terse, he exceeds himself again. In the comments, someone (not Mariah C. :D ) said she was getting error message when trying to sign up her family for the contest. Stevie's response:

We are getting lots of signups so we know it works.

Instead of offering help or another way to sign up, he just cannot admit that their homemade internet site might not work properly. Some other lady ("Lydia") complained about the same problem, too, but those golden Maxhell brothers cannot do wrong!

Stevie, really, go fuck yourself. Honestly, I'm surprised you have any customers left if that's the way you deal with them. They are the ones that bring the animal crackers to your table. Something to think about.

Someone should infiltrate Maxhell and switch out the Bible text (but leave the covers) and replace it with passages from Tropic of Cancer, Lady Chatterly's Lover, Madame Bovary, and Fanny Hill.

Hell, all one needs to do it refer to the Song of Solomon.That alone would freak out Steve.

That's verse 105 - Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.

I've never heard that reason for memorizing scripture before, I was always told we do it because "what you put in, is what will come out" and because memorizing scripture to meditate upon is a way to a closer relationship with God, which was always the emphasis in my church, but then again most people we follow here read the Bible for the sole purpose of making up rules :angry-banghead:

You know, just when you think Stevie can't get any more obnoxious, arrogant, and terse, he exceeds himself again. In the comments, someone (not Mariah C. :D ) said she was getting error message when trying to sign up her family for the contest. Stevie's response:

Instead of offering help or another way to sign up, he just cannot admit that their homemade internet site might not work properly. Some other lady ("Lydia") complained about the same problem, too, but those golden Maxhell brothers cannot do wrong!

Stevie, really, go fuck yourself. Honestly, I'm surprised you have any customers left if that's the way you deal with them. They are the ones that bring the animal crackers to your table. Something to think about.

After reading here, what's the bet he's suddenly helpful?

Archived