IGNORED

Doug Phillips (is a tool) resigning!

Slt

Good analysis, Mama JB.

Unfortunately, the TX business/nonprofit registration info is behind a paywall, but Manta (http://www.manta.com/c/mmcz5jb/vision-forum-inc) indicates that VF Inc is estimated to bring in annual revenues of $5-10 million. Doug Phllips Is A Tool owns it, Josh Wean is CFO, Tim Horn is a manager, and Perry Coghlan is a Director.

Oh, is he? Well, things are starting to become a bit more clear, aren't they? This is not just a humble "warehouse manager."

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, is he? Well, things are starting to become a bit more clear, aren't they? This is not just a humble "warehouse manager."

Homeboy's got a stake in things, don't you know.

Personally, I think the best evidence that there wasn't an affair is that Beall hasn't been blamed for "causing" one.

Personally, I think the best evidence that there wasn't an affair is that Beall hasn't been blamed for 'causing' one.

Right, we haven't seen the phrase "let herself go" yet.

Seeing the timeline in MJB's post (great post, BTW!) has me wondering about this whole affair business as well. It's just weird that the other party hasn't been outed; even if Dougie was trying to "protect" her, someone in VF would have made it their business to find out.

Though affair or no, I have no illusions that Dougie engaged in some financial shenangians and it's seems to be coming to light.

Wonder if lovely Kevin Swanson has his firing squad in place and ready:

Link: patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2013/07/vision-forums-history-of-america-mega-conference.html

Which may be why Dougie made such a major point of saying he didn't actually consumate anything.....

The truth is, the death penalty for this and all the other sins (see also Ron Paul's buddy Gary North on stoning--cheap and easy to do ad hoc) would be like all penalties have been throughout history-- used against the enemies of those in power and to control the opposition while turning a blind eye to the rulers in general.

The truth is, the death penalty for this and all the other sins (see also Ron Paul's buddy Gary North on stoning--cheap and easy to do ad hoc) would be like all penalties have been throughout history-- used against the enemies of those in power and to control the opposition while turning a blind eye to the rulers in general.

Death for thee but not, oh never, not for me.

This is about a blog that was posted a few pages ago. Sorry I can't find the link, but the writer kept going back the fact that Doug is constantly surrounded by men- men from his inner council, men that work in his office, male interns. Her point is that it would be hard for him to engage in an affair with a woman not employed in his household. She was pointing fingers at the nanny, but the subtext that I got was that Doug wasn't able to have an opportunity to have an affair with a woman, but had plenty of opportunity to have an affair with the myriad of males that he is on close contact with. But if he was caught with a man would he be given the chance to write an apology letter?

Thanks MJB for that time line. However, I'm even more convinced that this may well be a case of mutually assured destruction. The question now is who is calling who's bluff. I don't think Doug the Tool would resign over financial mis-doings. His ego is bigger than all of the fallen televangelists put together. He could very easily explain that away or cry persecution to his sheeple, and the vast majority of them would believe him. A sexual sin on the other hand, not so much, especially given VF stand on purity.

I have to say though, with the amount of money VF Ministries brings in, they could help a lot of poor and needy people, but they don't and won't. That is what bothers me the most...especially after seeing the tax record.

Yeah, it is way more scary when someone can beat the shit out of someone without looking angry. Sure, all hitting is bad, but at least when someone is hitting when they've lost their temper and are angry there is at least warning to it. The victim at least knows that theyre probably going to get a beating when they see their abuser is getting angry, but when the abuser is calm and smiling all of the time, theres no warning. They don't know when out of the blue they are going to get beaten up. Also the calmness while doing something violent sounds like some kind of emotionless psychopath. Also its controlled. Like if someone loses it and hurts someone, its like theyre out of control and didn't plan on doing it, it was just a spur of the moment thing (but its still bad to kill/hurt someone when angry) but when someone is calm and controlled about inflicting violence on someone, it seems like not only did they plan to do it and are aware that they are hurting someone, they are also enjoying it and oblivious to the person's cries of pain.

Josh and Sarah don't deserve kids. As if the abuse itself isn't bad enough, Josh never kit the kids when he was angry or lost his temper. That is chilling and sinister. FUCKING MONSTERS...both of them.

I always say that this adds a whole new level of horror to the "whip your kids" advice of people who follow these methods. It is so cruel -- calm, smiling Mom or Dad beating away. :cry:

Again, I feel compelled to say that the "pretty facade" is often meaningless. The nicest-seeming people could still be doing this.

Sure there are people who have the type of personality to do this anyway, but I also think a lot of them do it out of fear of hell, or because someone persuaded them that it does something good that outweighs the bad. I imagine there are parents who do this calm-whipping shit, then go into another room to cry, and never listen to their own better nature.

It's easy to say that one person or another is a monster, or probably really loves doing it, etc. But I wouldn't assume that someone who doesn't seem cold, or mean, or gleeful about whipping like Michael Pearl, is not doing it.

I've encountered this with pet owners. There are people who think using a crate is cruel, who dote on their dog, consider it a family member, buy all kinds of toys and treats, and who are otherwise very gentle. But they have also been hitting, scruffing, bellowing like drill sergeants, setting the dog up for failure to try to punish it out of a habit, and/or using shock collars, because someone told them it is necessary, or harmless, or the "only way to get through to them."

And that's without the threat of hellfire and damnation, or "reflecting" on the hitter in church, or knowing that the victim will become a teen, then an adult, and make their own choices, and all of the other stupid reasons people feel compelled to hit their children. It's due to unimportant things like getting on the couch and jumping up. :roll:

As ever, I think it's awful that people are willing to do painful things to animals because some authority figure said it was necessary. It's so much worse that they are willing to do it to children.

OK, back to DougieGate.

Follow the money, always.

*side note on hitting or as it is often referred to spanking: I imagine that it is quite hard to have a housefull of young kids and feel some semblance of "control". Fundy parents are then taught or instructed on an easy solution to having well behaved and obedient children. Just do blanket training and hit them. These practices are supported by the Bible, their faith, their churches and communities, so I understand why it would be easy to adopted these practices. Not that it excuse their actions but I can understand the reasoning in their mindset.

Forgive me for my long absence, but I got a new full time job and haven't been around much. I happened to click over the other day to see this shocking news because I was sitting on the beach (took a few days off for a conference, and actually had a chance to breathe for once!)

Wow, just wow.

Don't know if it's been covered, but now the apology is gone from the visionforum site and I can't find any of Doug's old blogs in the archives. The generic stuff is there, and the occasional picture of him, but his blathering is missing. They seem to be scrubbing the site of any mention of him.

Not that revisionist history surprises me when coming from these people, but still. Thank God for FreeJinger!

Thanks MJB for that time line. However, I'm even more convinced that this may well be a case of mutually assured destruction. The question now is who is calling who's bluff. I don't think Doug the Tool would resign over financial mis-doings. His ego is bigger than all of the fallen televangelists put together. He could very easily explain that away or cry persecution to his sheeple, and the vast majority of them would believe him. A sexual sin on the other hand, not so much, especially given VF stand on purity.

I have to say though, with the amount of money VF Ministries brings in, they could help a lot of poor and needy people, but they don't and won't. That is what bothers me the most...especially after seeing the tax record.

I think the deal with vfm as a non profit could in fact be one of the few things that could force his resignation. Rules on non profits are quite a bit stricter and require more oversight. I think that is very much believable.

Something like 40% of marriages have an occurrence of infidelity, but 40% of us are not embezzling. I think finances are the bigger deal here. An affair alone might have led to a step down, but I don't think it is the only thing.

Well someone, maybe buzzard, predicted the scrubbing right?

Whats a lil old screencap between friends, eh?

Regarding his resignation, it now says this:

post-315-14451998397816_thumb.jpg

The resignation is still online, just moved to a less visible location:

visionforumministries.org/issues/news_and_reports/statement_of_resignation.aspx

But, just for fun...

post-315-14451998398293_thumb.jpg

post-315-14451998398827_thumb.jpg

Scrubbing does not surprise me. I'm actually surprised it took them this long to do it. Hasn't it been over a week since the announcement?

Good job on the screen caps! Forever fossilized on FJ.

Info on Vision Forum (the business side, not the ministry) from the Reference USA business database, last updated August 2013:

Location Employees: 20

Type of business: private

Years in database: 13

Square footage: 10,000 - 39,999

IUSA number: 58-321-3970

Credit Rating Score: B+

Location Sales Volume: $15,791,000

Management Directory (not surprisingly, all listed as Gender: Male, and Executive Ethnicity: Western Europe)

Doug Phillips, Owner

Josh Wean, Finance Exec

Tim Horn, Manager

Perry Coghlan, Director

Kevin Turley, Other

Business Expenditures:

Accounting: $10,000 - $25,000

Contract Labor: $10,000 - $50,000

Legal: over $25,000

Office Equipment & Supplies: $100,000 - $250,000

Payroll & Benefits: $1 - $2.5 million

Rent & Leasing: over $500,000

Telecommunications: $50,000 - $100,000

Advertising: over $250,000

Insurance: $50,000 - $100,000

Management/Administration: over $100,000

Package/Container: $25,000 - $50,000

Purchased Print: over $25,000

Technology: over $50,000

Utilities: $25,000 - $50,000

The Washington Post has published an article today:

washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/patriarchy-proponent-doug-phillips-resigns-after-extramarital-relationship/2013/11/07/e4217f9c-47e8-11e3-95a9-3f15b5618ba8_story.html

Patriarchy proponent Doug Phillips resigns after extramarital relationship

By Sarah Pulliam Bailey | Religion News Service, Updated: Thursday, November 7, 12:12 PM

RNS () — Doug Phillips, an outspoken proponent of male “dominion†over women and a leading home-schooling activist, has stepped down as president of his Texas-based Vision Forum Ministries after admitting to an inappropriate relationship with a woman.

After cancelling all planned speaking engagements, Phillips, however, on Wednesday (Nov. 6) said he will still maintain ownership of the affiliated Vision Forum Inc., a for-profit company.

Phillips, who has eight children with his wife Beall, wrote on the ministry website on Oct. 30 that he would step down as a ministry leader.

“I engaged in a lengthy, inappropriate relationship with a woman,†he wrote. “While we did not ‘know’ each other in a Biblical sense, it was nevertheless inappropriately romantic and affectionate.â€

Calls to Vision Forum Ministries were not returned. In describing its mission, Vision Forum calls the family as “the basic agency of dominion on earth,†one that “is under attack from every side today.â€

Phillips is a leader among conservative Christians who reject birth control and believe that large families are a sign of God’s blessings, as seen in his friends Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar’s family on TLC’s “19 Kids and Counting.†He preaches a message of “biblical patriarchy,†in which a man is called to “rule over his household†and “the God-ordained and proper sphere of dominion for a wife is the household.â€

Phillips also takes a dim view of women in the public sphere, saying it is not “the ordinary and fitting role of women to work alongside men as their functional equals†outside the home in business, government and the military.

In 2011, the San Antonio-based ministry reported about $3.3 million in revenue, the most recent available financial records. Phillips received $44,000 in salary from the ministry for a 30-hour workweek, according to the ministry’s financial documents.

The related for-profit company was paid $193,176 in 2011 by the nonprofit for “labor and services,†according to records.

“I retain ownership of Vision Forum, Inc., a distinct and private company, but consistent with my desires to lead a quiet life focusing on my family and serving as a foot soldier, I will not be giving speeches or running conferences at this time of my life under the banner of VFI or VFM,†Phillips wrote.

Dan Busby, president of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability — a certification agency that does not count Phillips’ ministry as a member — said it’s not unusual to see a related for-profit business next to a nonprofit ministry. For-profits are often used for unrelated business income that would not jeopardize the tax-exempt status of a nonprofit, but it can cause perception issues.

“Segregating the nonprofit and for-profit activities and the financial transactions related to the two types of organizations is a critical aspect of these side-by-side organizations,†he said.

Phillips was formerly an attorney for Home School Legal Defense Association. He also founded the San Antonio Independent Christian Film Festival, which former Sen. Rick Santorum attended this year.

In his resignation letter, Phillips sought forgiveness.

“There are no words to describe the magnitude of shame I feel, or grief from the injury I caused my beloved bride and children, both of whom have responded to my repentance with what seems a supernatural love and forgiveness,†he wrote. “I thought too highly of myself and behaved without proper accountability.â€

Guys !

It finally occurred to me - the missing piece (pun UNintentional, btw)

DID Phillips really resign from BCA in February?

We don't know that! The first mention of it comes AFTER the VFM resignation

NOBODY has confirmed the February date, have they?

Why would Phillips have resigned while his father was still alive? IIRC Mr. Howard had dementia but STILL, it makes no sense that Phillips would agree to something so shameful in his mother's process of watching her husband dying, especially risking that his dad, in a lucid moment, would learn of his son's disgrace

Woulnt Jen Gems have heard and commented?

I propose that Phillps did not step down from BCA til verrrry recently.

Sorry for typos. - iPhone is recalcitrant.

And wow, thanks for the thanks! You make me blush like BRADRICK seeing Doug 's name on caller ID!

Speaking of Bradrick, he's being awfully quiet, isn't he? He and Scott Brown got nothin'. Certainly they have to know they are being looked at for comment since they have been so closely involved with Dougie for so many years. I think they both think they are flying under the radar, but they are not. Speak up, boyz.

Speaking of Bradrick, he's being awfully quiet, isn't he? He and Scott Brown got nothin'. Certainly they have to know they are being looked at for comment since they have been so closely involved with Dougie for so many years. I think they both think they are flying under the radar, but they are not. Speak up, boyz.

Quiet: Scott Brown, Peter Bradrick, the Botkins, Kelly Crawford, the Niednagel-Thomases, Justin Turley, the Seppis, the Servens, RC Sproul Jr., Tim Bayly, Ah the Life Spinsters, Mark Driscoll, John Piper, the Coghlans (aside from cryptic Scripture-quoting on FB)

Talking: Douglas Wilson, the McDonalds, Voddie Baucham, Jennie Chancey, the Puritan Board Blog, SharperIron Forums

I think, but am not sure, that Dan Horn is Brown's assistant minster or co-minister at the breakaway congregation thy formed after they failed to take over the established church in NC. Could Mr. Horn on the VF board be related? Not that common a surname. No wonder Brown is mum, tho - I'm almost certain that NCFIC is a daughter-organization of VF.

Guys !

It finally occurred to me - the missing piece (pun UNintentional, btw)

DID Phillips really resign from BCA in February?

We don't know that! The first mention of it comes AFTER the VFM resignation

NOBODY has confirmed the February date, have they?

Why would Phillips have resigned while his father was still alive? IIRC Mr. Howard had dementia but STILL, it makes no sense that Phillips would agree to something so shameful in his mother's process of watching her husband dying, especially risking that his dad, in a lucid moment, would learn of his son's disgrace

Woulnt Jen Gems have heard and commented?

I propose that Phillps did not step down from BCA til verrrry recently.

Sorry for typos. - iPhone is recalcitrant.

And wow, thanks for the thanks! You make me blush like BRADRICK seeing Doug 's name on caller ID!

Oh thank goodness, I've been wondering the exact same thing. Someone somewhere in this thread cited the Voddie Baucham Ministries Facebook page as the source for the February BCA resignation time. I went through the VBM Ministries FB page pretty thoroughly, and couldn't find any mention of it - but as, I'm hardly a FB expert, thought perhaps I'd missed it. Confirmation, anyone? Please and thank you! :)

Archived