IGNORED

Teabagger would vote in favor of reinstating slavery

SPHASH

Arkansas has its share

State Rep. Jon Hubbard (R-Jonesboro) told the Jonesboro Sun on Tuesday that he continues to believe the viewpoints he expressed in a 2010 book that slavery was a "blessing" for blacks, TalkBusiness.net reports. In the book, Hubbard argued that blacks received a better quality of life as slaves in the U.S. than they did in Africa, and that African-Americans would not be in the U.S. were it not for slavery. Hubbard's comments -- first reported by the Arkansas Times on Friday -- led to a series of revelations about fellow Arkansas Republicans, including Rep. Loy Mauch (R-Bismarck) writing a series of letters to the editor defending slavery and legislative candidate Charlie Fuqua writing in a 2012 book that he wanted to deport all Muslims and establish the death penalty for rebellious children.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/10/jon-hubbard-arkansas-slavery_n_1954902.html#slide=more227877

Hubbard lost his bid for reelection but got 47% of the vote.

Loy L. Mauch won with 53% of the vote and per Wikipedia is a Republican member of the Arkansas House of Representatives from District 26, based primarily in Hot Spring County, Arkansas. A supporter of Neo-Confederate causes, Mauch is a member of the League of the South and a former head of a Sons of Confederate Veterans post. Mauch believes, among other things, that Abraham Lincoln should not be honored in Arkansas and that the Confederate flag is a symbol of Jesus Christ and biblical government. Mauch is a supporter of the Tea Party movement.[1]

Fuqua lost received only 30% of the vote. Apparently, in Arkansas, the idea of slavery is meh, but the idea of killing your rebellious teen makes people a little squeamish...

Bachman apparently agrees that slavery as practiced in the genteel south was "not so bad" addictinginfo.org/2011/08/08/bachmann-supports-view-that-slavery-wasnt-so-bad-after-all/ so someone needs to send her this picture

whipslavRev.jpg

And of course, Ron and Rand Paul's old buddy, gary north thinks slavery is justified.

It is not rare to find. The guy in arizona used it as an example of how dedicated he was to doing exactly what his consituents wanted--a lot of these other people are set on convincing their constituents it is the right thing.

What? WHAT?!?

I did find this sentence interesting: A Republican Nevada state assemblyman said that he would vote for legislation in favor of slavery if his constituents wanted him to.

Now what do you suppose he'd do if his constituents were 100% in favor of women's reproductive rights with no limits and for keeping any and all religion out of public and political life, hmmm? Because it's ALL about what his constituents want...

I attended a history seminar for teachers once where a woman from South Carolina addressed a speaker in a Q&A session (a prominent historian from UVA) with this opening line: "What Northerners don't understand was that before people made a fuss about it, slavery was good for everyone and slaves were part of the family".

I swear that is the only time in my life that I have literally heard the sound of dropping jaws in a room.

The speaker's response included stats about children separated from parents (something along the lines of over 50% sold away by age 3--it was seven years ago so forgive my bad memory), and details about beatings, deaths, and such. Unfortunately, she did not seem convinced.

Playing devils advocate here He is supposed to do what the people tell him. unlike when over 80% of people wanted background checks and the GOP did what they wanted to do. So if his people told him to go fuck himself would he?

Playing devils advocate here He is supposed to do what the people tell him. unlike when over 80% of people wanted background checks and the GOP did what they wanted to do. So if his people told him to go fuck himself would he?

If a majority of people asked if he put Planned Parenthoods in every neighborhood, would he?

I attended a history seminar for teachers once where a woman from South Carolina addressed a speaker in a Q&A session (a prominent historian from UVA) with this opening line: "What Northerners don't understand was that before people made a fuss about it, slavery was good for everyone and slaves were part of the family".

I swear that is the only time in my life that I have literally heard the sound of dropping jaws in a room.

The speaker's response included stats about children separated from parents (something along the lines of over 50% sold away by age 3--it was seven years ago so forgive my bad memory), and details about beatings, deaths, and such. Unfortunately, she did not seem convinced.

Why would she? They're black people's children and black people being beaten and raped and killed, and she's somehow fundamentally different from black people and somehow that makes it not bad? My head hurts trying to figure out how it's somehow supposed to not be evil. :angry-banghead:

Are they confused between voluntary indentured servitude and slavery?

Whilst indentured servitude was a long way from ideal, lots of people would have been better off after their time was up than if they stayed in Europe.

At the end of the day, IMO, most teabaggers want the US to be run by white men. All minorities would be enslaved or shipped out of the country. Women would lose their rights to vote and would be second class citizens.

Arkansas has its share

Yeah, and if Westerners hadn't meddled with Africa and instigated the slave trade while destabilizing the entire damn continent, who knows what Africa would be like today. Idiots.

Stories like this indicate how we can't be complacent about anything. Things seemed to be getting better for black people after the Civil War, but once Reconstruction ended, it became much worse. I wonder if the same thing is happening now, where the rights won during the 1950s, 60s, and 70s will be eroded by neo-Confederates and their Tea Bagger enablers.

"African Americans would not be in the U.S. were it not for slavery"

O RILLY? I must be losing my mind then, because I have a couple Black friends who are first generation Americans (originally from the Caribbean) and to my knowledge, they came here as college students, not slaves. I've also worked with a lot of African immigrants over the years--waiters, dishwashers, customer service reps, I.T. Professionals...no slaves though. But if this guy says that there would be no African Americans if it weren't for slavery, then it must be true. Or not. What a jackass.

Edited for riffles.

Why would she? They're black people's children and black people being beaten and raped and killed, and she's somehow fundamentally different from black people and somehow that makes it not bad? My head hurts trying to figure out how it's somehow supposed to not be evil. :angry-banghead:

There are some people who have been fed the "we treated them right and they were like family" line by their ancestors, passed down to each generation, and believe it.

So would be okay with slavery if another group was in power and white ppl were the slaves?

No, thought not.

The privilege in these ppl is unbelievable so they really cannot imagine a world were they weren't King Shit.

A few years back I toured some plantations in Louisiana and couldn't get over the romanticized version of slave life many of the tour operators fed their visitors. After a day of that swill we came upon what I think was called Laura Plantation and they actually were honest about slave conditions during that time. What was terribly disconcerting to me was how many of my tourist companions were upset by the Laura tour, and they were not upset by how terrible the conditions of that time were for slaves, but how terrible the tour operators were for presenting anything but a mint julip & fiddle dee dee version of history. I think these are the same people who gladly swallow the idea that slaves were 'just like family' and that life as a slave wasn't so bad.

This thread is depressing. I never realized denialism of the horrors of slavery was so widespread.

Perhaps the Tea Party has forgotten that a lot has changed since the end of slavery. Blacks and other minorities will and do fight back and hard with a lot of physical force and political power. They are not quivering in fear from hate groups.

Here's my test for any of these asshats who favour reinstating slavery: If they like the idea so much volunteer themselves AND their entire family to BE slaves. So if they do pass a law legalizing slavery - the first people enslaved should be the people who voted that law into practice. We'll see how much they like slavery then.

If you all haven't yet read "Confederates In The Attic." It's an interesting in depth look into the culture of Civil War remembrance in the South.

Django Unchained was a fictional story, but the abuses shown in that movie happened all the time. Tarantino didn't pull the dog attacks, chain gangs, and separation from loved ones stories of his ass.

As a side note, a good deal of my ancestors were Confederates and I'm not ashamed of that fact. But that doesn't mean I don't believe they were fighting the good fight. I don't understand why these folks have to vindicate their ancestors lives.

I can attest that Civil War culture is alive and well here in Dixie. In fact, it never really left. Why somebody wants to hold a 152 year old grudge is beyond me. Let it die.

Archived