IGNORED

Men don't want wimpy sons / Women HATE football

My extended family has a private college football pick 'em league on Yahoo Sports. The current top four for the season are (in order) my mother, me, my cousin's wife, and a female cousin. The football loving men are getting beat by a bunch of chicks. Chicks who love football.

I love baseball more, though. My husband, on the other hand, watches only the local division I college team in football and has to have me explain nearly everything to him. He watched his first World Series game just this weekend and only did because his cousin pitched. Generally, he could care less about sports.

That's so ridiculous that it's funny. I like football more than my husband. He could take it or leave it, whereas I like to watch the teams in my alma mater's football conference. Lori has no idea what she is talking about, and just pulls stuff out of her ass and assumes it's accurate.

Seriously. I am a rabid football fan, maybe even more so than my husband. I am also an engineer that designs and invents new things. But, according to Lori, that's impossible.

Lori is definitely a monster. a dumb, uninformed monster at that. She makes her own versions of reality. I'm offended by her bullshit. and I watch football, my significant other does not. He doesn't give a shit about it. We make a good team, because we're PARTNERS and he doesn't rule over me because he's a dude.

I love baseball more, though. My husband, on the other hand, watches only the local division I college team in football and has to have me explain nearly everything to him. He watched his first World Series game just this weekend and only did because his cousin pitched. Generally, he could care less about sports.

Cool! Who's his cousin, if I may ask?(My late husband's second cousin, Kevin Polkovich, briefly played second base for the Pirates in the '90s).

She stole the line stating that women haven't invented or built anything from SSM. It's BS.

Yes, children do need to be active during the school day, which is about the only point where I agree with her. Lack of activity affects all children, but I've noticed that it hits boys harder, on average. If a kindergarten class has a teacher with poor classroom management who tries to keep the kids in circle time too long, it's often the boys who will get yelled at for acting up and not paying attention. [Can you tell that my son happened to have a horrible year in kindergarten?]

Otherwise, though, she's got it all wrong. "Wimpy" boys are not a problem. What is a problem is boys without positive male role models, who turn to hyper-macho figures and images as they are trying to figure out their identity and what it means to be a man. Quite frankly, I like the fact that my husband is involved in my son's life because he's teaching him what it means to be a real man (ie. a "mentsch"), and showing him that it has nothing to do with anything related to Mark Discoll. Aside from being a good athlete, he can talk about the importance of fair play and sportsmanship, and he doesn't feel threatened if one of the best players on his hockey team happens to be a girl, and he can adore little kids and look forward to being a dad because his dad who takes him to hockey and coaches soccer is also a hands-on parenting who is crazy about babies.

Not gonna lie, not into football. But I do see what joy it brings to many and my home team is kicking freakin ASS this year (Go Hawks!!) so no, I wouldn't eliminate it from the planet. What silliness.

Inventions created by none other than those who possess/possessed a vagina...

Circular saw...Tabitha Babbitt

Liquid paper, aka white out...Bette Nesmith Graham

COBOL language...Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Colored flares...Martha Coston

Dishwasher...Josephine Cochran

Windshield wiper...Mary Andersen

Nystatin, fungus killing drug...Rachel Fuller Brown and Elizabeth Lee Hazen

Kevlar, material used to manufacture many durable items including suspension bridge cables and bulletproof vests...Stephanie Kwolek

Fire escape...Anne Connelly

Gas heating furnace...Alice H Parker

Fold-a-way bed...Sarah E Goode

Solar home heating...Dr. Maria Telkes

Laser cataract surgery...Patricia Beth, M.D

Need I mention Hedy Lamarr and Rachel Carson, among likely countless others?

But Lori's right, all those important inventions...men did it.

I'll admit to not caring for football, but I loves me some baseball(and not just because Derek Jeter is *still* damn hawt... :P)

My mom doesn't like any sport but loves her some Derek Jeter and Rick Fox when he was on DWTS. And she will turn 75 in January. We call her Cougar of the family.

I'm a woman and I've never seen a superbowl (and at this point I kinda wanna keep it that way as a sticking point), however, those things have nothing to do with one another.

I much prefer Soccer. The men are much more attractive and in better shape :)

If women don't like football, then why was I almost hyperventilating and refreshing ESPN on my phone repeatedly because I couldn't watch a particular game that was in double overtime and getting really excited when my team won? I am definitely a woman, and I definitely love football.

Also, Lori is a monster.

And why did I scare the bejeezus out of my SO (and maybe the neighbors) when I screamed with jubilation at that final missed FG? Seriously, that was one of the best football games I've seen in ages!! (go cocks!) Something must be faulty with my womanhood :D

I could not care less about watching sports (though I loves me some Super Bowl parties). But what Lori, who is a monster, will never get is that if I were somehow in charge of the world, the last thing on my agenda would be prohibiting people from participating or spectating. Because in my nicely shaded grey world, people would not have to conform to my preferences. I know fundies have a very difficult time grasping the concept of not giving a flying fuck as to how others choose to spend their time, though it's really not that hard.

When those Christian Soldiers headed onward into war during the Good Old Days guess who worked in the factories ? Hint - it wasn't strong brave men.

Jeezus she is a loon. Has she never seen a football game on tv? There are lots of women who not only go to cheer but understand the game and know the different offensive formations.

Lori Alexander is monster.

My SO and I spend most Saturday's at my dad's house watching Bama play along with other family members. Sodas, sandwiches, and snakes with my SO and family. Good times. And the kicker, I tend to be the loudest one there.

I'm a huge football fan. So is my husband. However, it's one of only two sports he will watch (the other being curling). I, on the other hand, LOVE sports. Nearly all sports. I take over the tv during both the summer and winter olympics. My husband grumbles about not getting to watch anything good, but humors me.

I play fantasy football with my co-workers. Being in a male-dominated career field, everyone else in my league is male. I routinely win. There have been only two years I haven't won. I'm not quite sure where Lori got her statistics, but they are patently false. Perhaps she should leave her house once in a while. She might be surprised what real life looks like.

My father-in-law was genuinely scared to move during the 2012 Superbowl. With my husband and I on opposite sides of the room (and the game), he didn't know which way to go and for sure wasn't going up the middle. The poor man remained sandwichless until half time when we declared a mealtime truce. :)

He refused to host the next year which was probably a good thing as I went a little nuts, being 11 seconds away from winning the pool and foiled by that damn safety... :P

Inventions created by none other than those who possess/possessed a vagina...

Circular saw...Tabitha Babbitt

Liquid paper, aka white out...Bette Nesmith Graham

COBOL language...Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Colored flares...Martha Coston

Dishwasher...Josephine Cochran

Windshield wiper...Mary Andersen

Nystatin, fungus killing drug...Rachel Fuller Brown and Elizabeth Lee Hazen

Kevlar, material used to manufacture many durable items including suspension bridge cables and bulletproof vests...Stephanie Kwolek

Fire escape...Anne Connelly

Gas heating furnace...Alice H Parker

Fold-a-way bed...Sarah E Goode

Solar home heating...Dr. Maria Telkes

Laser cataract surgery...Patricia Beth, M.D

Need I mention Hedy Lamarr and Rachel Carson, among likely countless others?

But Lori's right, all those important inventions...men did it.

Does Lori home school? Guess we know what she's not teaching her kids. Along with science and math 'cuz girls are bad at that, right?

I can't comment on what it's like to raise a son, but I know for sure that I wouldn't want a fundie defining what makes him a man.

Count me as another woman who loves football. And hockey and baseball. I draw the line at boxing, though, so I may still qualify as a lady.

My father-in-law was genuinely scared to move during the 2012 Superbowl. With my husband and I on opposite sides of the room (and the game), he didn't know which way to go and for sure wasn't going up the middle. The poor man remained sandwichless until half time when we declared a mealtime truce. :)

:D My aunt had to be separated from her family during Super Bowl XLV. Even worse was having to suppress her joy when her team won. We still can't discuss the game in front of her daughter. Yup, she raised a football-loving daughter (albeit for the wrong team). Take that, Lori!

My church sang Onward Christian Soldiers last week. I love football so much that I named my youngest child after my alma mater's QB. My kids have recess plus PE time for running around every day.

Does Lori home school? Guess we know what she's not teaching her kids. Along with science and math 'cuz girls are bad at that, right?

I can't comment on what it's like to raise a son, but I know for sure that I wouldn't want a fundie defining what makes him a man.

Count me as another woman who loves football. And hockey and baseball. I draw the line at boxing, though, so I may still qualify as a lady.

Lori's kids are adults. IIRC, she only homeschooled them during their middle school years and they all attended a Christian high school. I don't know if they attended a Christian elementary school.

Archived