IGNORED

We are staying in a Fundie house overnight...

homeschoolmomma1

Latraviata is confusing the fact the actually nobody needs to be right and nobody needs to be anybodies police whilst missing the point that she is trying to be right :lol:

Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Mine is that whilst sitting in your hosts house and bitching off is a bit off for me. Strangely if the story was told in retrospect as in 'I went to ..and this happened.' May have been more palatable.

There again I think the whole story was bullshit but that again is a personal feeling. There is no wrong and no right. The differences we have is what makes the world go around. For the record those who put their lives online even like this forum voicing their opinion are open to anything including me. Newspapers have peddled this for years.

I just tend to tell people I know 'friends' per se in real life the truth or at least not take the piss out of them in some anonymous online way. We all bitch. Sometimes lines are different to different people.

+1

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The story was not a lie... but whatever. I have never read that raising Ruth or other people's blogs so I wouldn't know how most of those people live. I just thought I would share. Now I am sorry I did. If you want to believe it is a lie, go ahead. I am going through too much in my life right now to have to keep explaining I am not lying. I have a lot of life changing issues in my family and I thought this forum would get my mind off of them. These issues I choose not to share right now. I did talk to the family I stayed with about starting a family blog and she did think it might be okay to share the Gospel, but she didn't know. I was just going to post that I would tell you all if she did.

In fact, I will not be posting on this thread anymore. Catch you all on other threads

I want to say I wasn't insulted or upset and took no comments personally.

I just get annoyed when people complain about a situation of their own making. It looked like there were several opportunities to get out of the situation so that it did not end with staying overnight in a fundie house.

I just get annoyed when people complain about a situation of their own making. It looked like there were several opportunities to get out of the situation so that it did not end with staying overnight in a fundie house.

To coin a previous poster's phrase: Point....Point. Point. Point.

I did talk to the family I stayed with about starting a family blog and she did think it might be okay to share the Gospel, but she didn't know. I was just going to post that I would tell you all if she did.

This whole story sounds like the perfect set-up for a fake blog.

It certainly does.

You need many words to say absolutely nothing.

Obviously, you need few words to show you find little value in the opinions of anyone else and don't think beyond your own tiny world. Good luck with that.

It is odd to accept hospitality and at the same time bash your hosts on a snark board. You didn't have to accept their invitation and they probably wouldn't have extended it if they'd known you'd criticize them to the world.

Snarking on fundies you know is fine... but snarking about their household which they opened to you as a favor is strange.

I do see your point, but to me, the fact that the family expected and received payment makes it less of a "favor" and more of a "business transaction," like staying in a hotel.

I do see your point, but to me, the fact that the family expected and received payment makes it less of a "favor" and more of a "business transaction," like staying in a hotel.

:pull-hair:

Didn't OP flounce over in chatter on 10/8?

Link? PLEASEY CATS!

Link? PLEASEY CATS!

I'm not sure if linking to chatter posts is ok? But it's on the front page of the subforum, and is authored by her.

I don't have any problem whatsoever with the OP reporting on her stay there. That would kind of be the height of hypocrisy given that I'm an active member on a forum devoted to following/snarking on fundies. :) What rubbed me the wrong way was the fact that she chose to walk into this situation knowing full well what it entailed, and then kept posting in righteous indignation about the fact that they lived the way they did. Dude, you knew they were fundies. Yeah, I do personally think it's in poor taste to mock and insult the people who are currently hosting you as a house guest, fundie or not, but I never implied that I was the post police (lol) and that she shouldn't be allowed to do it. What mostly confuses me is this tone of shocked outrage when she pretty much knew what she was getting into.

And yeah, I have my doubts about the story's veracity. But that's a subject for another day.

I don't have any problem whatsoever with the OP reporting on her stay there. That would kind of be the height of hypocrisy given that I'm an active member on a forum devoted to following/snarking on fundies. :) What rubbed me the wrong way was the fact that she chose to walk into this situation knowing full well what it entailed, and then kept posting in righteous indignation about the fact that they lived the way they did. Dude, you knew they were fundies. Yeah, I do personally think it's in poor taste to mock and insult the people who are currently hosting you as a house guest, fundie or not, but I never implied that I was the post police (lol) and that she shouldn't be allowed to do it. What mostly confuses me is this tone of shocked outrage when she pretty much knew what she was getting into.

And yeah, I have my doubts about the story's veracity. But that's a subject for another day.

It's interesting really. I know what you mean about being a member of a board which actively does 'snark' on the lives of others constantly I think about it often. For me the issue as always when this type of discussion ensues is the absolutes. The wrong or right aspect. There are grey areas really. Example one could say it's awful to lie, liars are hateful and pathetic a la Razing Ruth but is it ok to lie to a terminal patient for their comfort?

Then also the personal aspect. Wow Mum thanks for dinner it was lovely. (translate, yet again the old dear has cremated the chicken :lol: ) So personally for me I'm ok with snarking on relative strangers who blog about their religious extremism which I do not agree with in this anonymous manner. For me to snark on my hosts fundie or not, real or not crossed that invisible grey line. Hypocrisy? I have it :lol:

I don't know, if I being completely honest, I am having trouble even believing the story in general. If just seems so....contrived.

With that being said, if what has been stated is indeed factual, the O.P. does bare some of the responsibilty here. Why not get things together beforehand so this would not have happened in the first place? Call ahead for space before you embark on your travels, perhaps? O.P. complained on Facebook. Host family offered to put them up. O.P. accepted. O.P. could have checked in at that hotel 30 minutes down the road and saved herself the fundie headache. She stated they were old friend of hers, she has them on her Facebook friends list, and she had no idea they were like this? Yeah, um...no.

It's interesting really. I know what you mean about being a member of a board which actively does 'snark' on the lives of others constantly I think about it often. For me the issue as always when this type of discussion ensues is the absolutes. The wrong or right aspect. There are grey areas really. Example one could say it's awful to lie, liars are hateful and pathetic a la Razing Ruth but is it ok to lie to a terminal patient for their comfort?

Then also the personal aspect. Wow Mum thanks for dinner it was lovely. (translate, yet again the old dear has cremated the chicken :lol: ) So personally for me I'm ok with snarking on relative strangers who blog about their religious extremism which I do not agree with in this anonymous manner. For me to snark on my hosts fundie or not, real or not crossed that invisible grey line. Hypocrisy? I have it :lol:

Perhaps interesting to know that personally I wouldn't do it. Yet, on a forum like FJ I don't mind if somebody else does.

Perhaps interesting to know that personally I wouldn't do it. Yet, on a forum like FJ I don't mind if somebody else does.

And yet you are shamelessly accusing other people of hypocrisy?

I don't know, if I being completely honest, I am having trouble even believing the story in general. If just seems so....contrived.

With that being said, if what has been stated is indeed factual, the O.P. does bare some of the responsibilty here. Why not get things together beforehand so this would not have happened in the first place? Call ahead for space before you embark on your travels, perhaps? O.P. complained on Facebook. Host family offered to put them up. O.P. accepted. O.P. could have checked in at that hotel 30 minutes down the road and saved herself the fundie headache. She stated they were old friend of hers, she has them on her Facebook friends list, and she had no idea they were like this? Yeah, um...no.

I think that homeschoolmama wants really badly to fit in around here and she tries to do it with stories like these, which are probably embellished at the very least. "Look at me, I had to stay with some whackjob fundies, who my husband and I are NOT AT ALL ALIKE!" That type of thing.

Archived