IGNORED

We are staying in a Fundie house overnight...

homeschoolmomma1

My husband had to go to a meeting and we all thought we would tag along. We were going to stay at the hotel, but of course it was full. We were going to look into another hotel 30 minutes away, but an old 'friend' saw we were looking online and offered us the spare 'rooms'

The rooms for my older children (5 of them) will sleep in a dorm type room (seriously the size of a dorm in college) with a bunk bed and another twin bed on the side. Our room is the same size with a queen bed and a crib placed on the side for our baby. I don't complain about space, but the sheets don't look washed... We are sharing a very small bathroom for all of us plus the family. Honestly don't know how they fit a bathtub in the room. The kids also have a table. There are NO toys in sight and I did see the Men's Manual II (Gothard's financial freedom book) on the shelf in the living room. I really want to look at it, but might find endless talk of Gothard... I know this family was looking into ATI

Anyway, word of advice... don't post that you are looking for a hotel room on Facebook or say yes to nice Fundie friends. My husband laughed as he went to the meeting tonight and tomorrow since I get to spend tonight and tomorrow fellowshiping...

Also, there is no carpet on the floor and my kids think we are in a 'really old house' lol Ya from about 1991 old...

*** please be aware I am thankful for the offer, but something tells me in the way they are talking we may be paying for this room and board in which we really aren't saving they just keep hinting to us*** :wtf:

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like your weekend will be along the lines of "The Duggars, The Early Days."

Please post lots of details, I really want to hear how it goes.

Hope you can get some rest! It is hard staying with someone when you feel uncomfortable. Just try to stay positive and remember, "Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." :) good luck!

Well, my evening consisted of eating some sort of taco casserole that didn't taste at all like tacos... The worst was it was prepared by an 8 year old. My children watched kid bible cartoons and put together puzzles of Jesus, etc. I was treated to about 15 people I didn't know coming over for a praise and worship Friday, because Fundies apparently believe we should fellowship at night like the Jews did... But also in the morning during the 7th day.... so in other words they party all weekend Fundie style

The worst is the company left at 7:00pm because it was getting late and I had to have bible study for about 2 hours.

I am a Christian... but 2 hours. There are no pictures on the wall. If there is it is a cross... it is very plain...

We had to go to our rooms at 9pm (what am I 5?)

It is prayer/quiet time. Only for an hour then lights out!

They have 12 children and pregnant with twins.

The worst part is

I keep getting asked if another blessing on on the way

She keeps hinting how burdened our stay is... financially

I think the expense comes from the 15 guests not our family

We must get up at 6am and breakfast is promptly at 7am then there is Bible study and quiet prayer till 9pm

Why are their so many rules you ask? Because we are apart of the family, so we must act like one...

Well, my evening consisted of eating some sort of taco casserole that didn't taste at all like tacos... The worst was it was prepared by an 8 year old. My children watched kid bible cartoons and put together puzzles of Jesus, etc. I was treated to about 15 people I didn't know coming over for a praise and worship Friday, because Fundies apparently believe we should fellowship at night like the Jews did... But also in the morning during the 7th day.... so in other words they party all weekend Fundie style

The worst is the company left at 7:00pm because it was getting late and I had to have bible study for about 2 hours.

I am a Christian... but 2 hours. There are no pictures on the wall. If there is it is a cross... it is very plain...

The worst part is

We must get up at 6am and breakfast is promptly at 7am then there is Bible study and quiet prayer till 9pm

Why are their so many rules you ask? Because we are apart of the family, so we must act like one...

Wow. Sounds hellish. I would offer to help with breakfast. It might make the time pass more quickly. Also, I might throw them some money (not necessarily the same you would have paid for a hotel, but enough for them to buy groceries to replace whatever your family consumed).

I hate staying with family, never mind fundie long-distance acquaintances.

We were planning on giving money, but hearing about it every hour is sort of depressing...

I can't help with Breakfast it Is Sarah's turn (she's 9)

The worst part is

I know u r not but its sounds like (at least from the morning agenda) u r staying w/ the Maxwells!

Sounds like that part in Borat when Borat and Azamat stayed in the bed in breakfast that was run by the elderly Jewish couple.

I know u r not but its sounds like (at least from the morning agenda) u r staying w/ the Maxwells!

Oh please no! I need to see their daily schedule and hint around if they know the Maxwells

They do have that weird post it note thing the Duggars had years back on their wall.

How do your kids feel about getting up so early. We r not morning people in my house if I had to get up @ 6am for breakfast & Bible study I would be pissed.

How do your kids feel about getting up so early. We r not morning people in my house if I had to get up @ 6am for breakfast & Bible study I would be pissed.

My little guys will be up. The older 2 (ages 7 and 9) are not happy because they whispered to me... but it is Saturday. Poor kids :(

Anyone have the maxwells daily schedule they have in their home they can link to me?

My little guys will be up. The older 2 (ages 7 and 9) are not happy because they whispered to me... but it is Saturday. Poor kids :(

Anyone have the maxwells daily schedule they have in their home they can link to me?

Oh my your poor kids! Even they know that's way to early for a Saturday!

Yeah, no. I'd have been out of there awhile ago.

My Hubby is back and looked at me because he had to go straight to bed when he came home, "If this was more than one night we would be gone.... This is Horrible!" I explained that I had to spend all night and all day with them. I hope they have activities planned!

I would but I have no car... and we are not close enough to drive. The family is also guilt tripping me and the kids to stay... ya it is pretty bad, however it is past 10 and no one has knocked on the door and said GO TO BED! JESUS DIED FOR YOU!

Maybe making you be in your room by 9 p.m. is her subtle way of encouraging another "blessing"? ;)

The financial hinting is terrible. I HATE when people "offer" to help then pull the martyr act. And I really dislike when people force others into praying when they know they don't share the same beliefs. Rude and insensitive.

I am heading to bed soon, but I forgot the weirdest part and hubby thinks you all should know. There are NO DOORS to the small bathrooms... just curtains... in fact the entry is so small a door wouldn't fit unless it was like a door for a closet that you pull open.

Anyone ever see that before?

How are you able to sneak away to post about your visit? Do you have your laptop or ipad? If so, maybe your own littles can watch a movie on it. Your visit with the fundies sounds tedious and irritating. :(

Also, they really shouldn't have offered you a place to stay if they were only going to control you and guilt-trip you about the money they spent for your family's room and board. That attitude comes across as being quite passive-aggressive on their part.

How are you able to sneak away to post about your visit? Do you have your laptop or ipad? If so, maybe your own littles can watch a movie on it. Your visit with the fundies sounds tedious and irritating. :(

Also, they really shouldn't have offered you a place to stay if they were only going to control you and guilt-trip you about the money they spent for your family's room and board. That attitude comes across as being quite passive-aggressive on their part.

That's what I was thinking. How very Christian of them to invite you over to just be rude, controlling dicks. This pagan household has much more of a "Christian" principle when we have guests. We make our guests feel welcome and bend the rules (within reason) to try to accommodate them. No, guests do not need to take their shoes off if they don't want to. Yes, you may take drinks and snacks to the playroom to have some time away from the adults. Guests get the preferred seating spots. Hell, my husband's friend from high school comes to visit for a month at a time from out of state twice a year. He hasn't stayed with us yet because their other friend only has 1 kid, and would you stay in a house with 1 kid who's in middle school or 4 kids, of whom 3/4 are much younger than that? Anyway, when he drops by, he gets to pick the TV shows, we order his favorite pizza toppings, I even make the kids stay quiet when he falls asleep watching Hard Core Pawn. lol My momma raised me to treat my guests better than that!

I am heading to bed soon, but I forgot the weirdest part and hubby thinks you all should know. There are NO DOORS to the small bathrooms... just curtains... in fact the entry is so small a door wouldn't fit unless it was like a door for a closet that you pull open.

Probably to discourage anyone from lingering and, ahem, sinning with themselves in there.

That would be the deal breaker for me. I'd rather car camp then not have privacy.

Who was it who said he doesn't give his children more than 5 minutes behind closed doors to keep them from sinning, was it Michael Pearl?

Yes, I've seen it in older houses that had been initially built without bathrooms and then had the bathrooms added later.

Yes, in my home ;) For the same reason. If there's a door in our bathroom, we can't open it... so, curtains are more helful !

The worst part is

You must be staying with Razing Ruth's family.

Archived