IGNORED

We are staying in a Fundie house overnight...

homeschoolmomma1

My aunt also does the curtain thing instead of a bathroom door. But she lives alone and won't get another door bc the lock on her last doorknob malfunctioned somehow, trapping her into the bathroom (did I mention she lives alone?) Her neighbor's house is vacant so screaming out the (tiny) window wasn't an option. She hacked away at the side of the door until she managed to get out but refuses to get another door.

Ok, completely ot but I gotta ask, if she lives alone why'd she close (and lock!) the bathroom door in the first place?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Homeschoolmomma1 isn't giving names or locations, and really, this just reads like a journal of her feelings

That's how I read it too; I didn't take it as complaining or bashing the family. A fundie lifestyle would be a culture shock for me too. I also don't view the family's gesture as offering "hospitality" so much because they are clearly expecting financial compensation.

@kpmom - she said she didn't lock the door, that the doorknob jiggled somehow into lock position when she turned it to open the door. I have no idea how that happened, and wouldn't have believed her if I hadn't seen the hacked-up door. I love my aunt dearly, but she gets herself into the strangest situations and I've learned not to ask too many questions.

Her life is entertaining though. :popcorn2:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I really don't have an issue with the complaints, mainly because they are posted with a fair amount of anonymity. I've had enough fundie-lite friends in my life to know when 'recruitment' is occurring, and it can be aggravating when the host family has you in a spot to try and push their agenda. Homeschoolmomma1 isn't giving names or locations, and really, this just reads like a journal of her feelings that she's sharing on Free Jinger. No one is being directly exposed or exploited, so I don't have a problem with it. ;)

If complaints were being made directly to the faces of the hosts, that would be a different story.

Also, if it was me, I'd be tempted to leave money, simply due to an awareness of the strain on resources for the host family. If Homeschoolmomma1 and her family were invited, the hosts aren't necessarily owed anything except a nice host gift, as stated earlier. But I tend to feel guilty very easily and hate to impose on friends, especially when I know they may not be able to afford to host me.

Just my $.02. ;)

I wholeheartedly agree with you!!

Courtesy moralists :disgust: :disgust:

yes and I take it that Homeschoolmomma didn't quite know all the rules...that she would be expected to be up at 6am,in her room by 9pm,the financial griping,curtain for door,etc.

I don't think it's any different than most people would do in that situation- maybe they didn't know how to get out of the offer to stay without hurting the hosts' feelings. But now wish they would have. She's just venting her feelings, not naming anyone. I think it's completely inconsiderate to offer someone a place to stay then force your whole schedule upon them and constantly hint you want payment.

I don't think it's any different than most people would do in that situation- maybe they didn't know how to get out of the offer to stay without hurting the hosts' feelings. But now wish they would have. She's just venting her feelings, not naming anyone. I think it's completely inconsiderate to offer someone a place to stay then force your whole schedule upon them and constantly hint you want payment.

yes,by all means,be a gracious host,if you are going to offer.expect nothing,be happy and grateful if you do get anything in return.

And in return,be a gracious guest.offer to cook,clean,babysit,buy groceries and or take your hosts out to dinner,etc.Be mindful of the rules,but really,the host should be reasonable.6am is very early for some who aren't used to it.9am would be more reasonable for bfast.10-11pm for bedtime.

Re: Getting locked in places...

Right after college, my husband got a job as a network consultant which required frequent traveling. One day in the middle of a several days-long trips, where I was home alone in our apartment, I decided to do laundry. When I was putting it away in our closet, the cat kept coming in to bother me. I threw the cat out and closed the door behind me. Put away the laundry, tried to open the door... the knob just spun. Something in the mechanism had broken and I was trapped in the closet.

I ended up taking apart our shoe rack and using part of it to hack a hole through the door so I could escape. Then I called maintenance crying hysterically. That was in 2008. A few months back we were considering moving back to that complex and went to see if they had any 3-bedrooms available. The office staff and maintenance guys all recognized me and remembered me as "the girl who got stuck in the closet!"

If the invitation to host you was made without any mention of remuneration, then no you are not obligated to give them money. However, since they did host you and you feel badly about their situation, something like a grocery store gift card could be a good token of appreciation that you could give without feeling blackmailed into giving them cash.

As for the snark? Maybe it is a bit tacky, but you aren't giving us names or being rude to these folks in person. We are fascinated by funny life in action, so hell yeah, this is the place to vent/share/snark. Besides, who the heck invites people to stay then forces them into prayer hours at 6am?

You must be staying with Razing Ruth's family.

Can I just quote this post and point ... er, pointedly, at it? POINT. POINT. POINT.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I really don't have an issue with the complaints, mainly because they are posted with a fair amount of anonymity. I've had enough fundie-lite friends in my life to know when 'recruitment' is occurring, and it can be aggravating when the host family has you in a spot to try and push their agenda. Homeschoolmomma1 isn't giving names or locations, and really, this just reads like a journal of her feelings that she's sharing on Free Jinger. No one is being directly exposed or exploited, so I don't have a problem with it. ;)

If complaints were being made directly to the faces of the hosts, that would be a different story.

Also, if it was me, I'd be tempted to leave money, simply due to an awareness of the strain on resources for the host family. If Homeschoolmomma1 and her family were invited, the hosts aren't necessarily owed anything except a nice host gift, as stated earlier. But I tend to feel guilty very easily and hate to impose on friends, especially when I know they may not be able to afford to host me.

Just my $.02. ;)

Yes because being honest is so much worse than talking behind peoples backs. Nothing like a bit of covert nasty to make it ok.

I give up with humanity.

(razing ruth comment :lol: :lol: )

It is real her husband comes from a family with multiples. She has always wanted triplets and sometimes I wonder if she had a little medical help at some points to have kids. That is hearsay, but sometimes I think it. Sorry you all don't believe me. We left yesterday after breakfast so not much more to report. I do feel bad talking bad about them, because as the poster says I shouldn't talk about them behind their backs. That being said... it is a wonderful day outside and I am going to enjoy it with my family. I will try to scan the bankruptcy ATI pages tomorrow at work.

It is real her husband comes from a family with multiples. She has always wanted triplets and sometimes I wonder if she had a little medical help at some points to have kids. That is hearsay, but sometimes I think it. Sorry you all don't believe me. We left yesterday after breakfast so not much more to report. I do feel bad talking bad about them, because as the poster says I shouldn't talk about them behind their backs. That being said... it is a wonderful day outside and I am going to enjoy it with my family. I will try to scan the bankruptcy ATI pages tomorrow at work.

Her husband's genetics have nothing to do with her having multiples. It's not as though sperm are explosive and divide the egg. Nor would her husband have any influence on how many eggs she released per month.

Her daughters, on the other hand, would be affected.

On Prince Edward Island, Mrs Hammond had three sets of twins that Anne helped raise.

ETA: Oh, my mistake. It was Nova Scotia. Then Anne moved to PEI. True story.

Don't, the poster is not the politness and behaviour police. Personally to spend even an afternoon in that household I would have used my I pad to keep my sanity. Gossip may not be nice but a perfectly normal inevitable social phenomenon.

Others always behave better, at least that's what they say!

On Prince Edward Island, Mrs Hammond had three sets of twins that Anne helped raise.

On top of having three sets of twins, Mrs. Hammond wasn't real. :lol: I love those books, though.

Three sets of twins? I know that is technically possible but this family does not sound real to me.

I have a sister who has four kids-two sets of fraternal twins. She's had several miscarriages, every pregnancy has been twins. Apparently she's one of those woman who double ovulates. (I'm so glad it's not me).

There was a BBC article on the statistics of having multiple sets of fraternal twins a while back. Apparently, the chances of naturally conceiving a subsequent set of fraternal twins isn't actually that low.

I have to confess this topic really caught my interest and I've been thinking a lot about it since yesterday. I even talked it over with my husband. I have never heard of staying with another family and having to follow their rules but then I have never stayed with a fundie family. I would have given them some money but not what I would have paid for a hotel-- a hotel doesn't make you turn out the lights at a set time nor get up at the crack of dawn and they certainly don't make you sit through Bible study for 2 hours.

As to the snark...I was a bit uncomfortable with the snarking away on the internet while in their home, but that's just me. There is no reason on earth you have to keep mum about the experience once you have left however, as long as you don't name names. It has been an eye-opening account of everyday life in fundieville and as was said earlier, fundies live miserable lives. My husband and I talked a lot about that last night because I am reading a book about escaping Scientology (Blown for Good) and those in the Sea Org also lead miserable lives by choice. I understand that with Christians they believe that the afterlife is more important than this life but they do seem to go out of their way to make their entire family lead lives of unending drudgery mixed with boredom. There is hardly anything in my life that is not pleasurable whether it is being with my husband or gardening or cooking or reading or being on the internet. I sometimes feel like I choose to live like the Royalty of years ago while the fundies choose to live like peasants.

I went out with a guy who had a twin sister and his two younger siblings were another set of fraternal twins. A girl in my school was a triplet and her two older brothers were twins. It happens.

I like hearing from those with actual insight into these fundie families versus assuming what really goes on by reading their blog. I've never understood why some with actual knowledge of families are called out and sometimes never come back. As long as what they tell is truthful (which we just have to take their word) and they aren't doing it out of vengeance but just to reveal truths about what it's really like.

My best friend in grade school had three sets of twins in her family, 9 kids total. All fraternal. It's not that uncommon, I don't think. I've known several families with more than one set of multiples.

Archived