IGNORED

We are staying in a Fundie house overnight...

homeschoolmomma1

being up at 6am for breakfast and bible time would push me right over the edge. Not that taco casserole and evening bible time sounds like my cup of tea either.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh they are real. We have a laptop and ipad... we must be worldly lol.

Don't worry everyone. Husbands day of meetings goes till 7:55pm and by 8:00pm we are giving them money and saying goodbye and driving home. He may get done sooner... he hates Saturday meetings. We came along, because we are taking a nice drive tomorrow and something fun with the kids. We love Fall and Halloween :o

Believe it or not... they don't have a blog and in all honestly it would be sooo boring that you wouldn't want to read it.

Someone said they were too Fundie... I think they have read all the books... so ya they are. I will be taking a 'walk' with my kids later (to get away from the crazy... I hope there is a park!) and will keep you posted of she blanket trains. She might not admit that in front of guests.

Also, guests and babies must get to sleep till 6am, because I heard them waking the kids up at 5am. The sad thing about this family is they grew up pretty normal Presbyterian and went to the fundie side about 7 or 8 years ago. The oldest is 14... can't tell me that kid doesn't remember normal mom and dad.

The hotel would have been nice last night... we learned our lesson

What a horrible existence. Fundies have such a miserable life.

they really do.as we say in the south 'gag.a.maggot.'

Hope you are out of there soon,homeschoolmama.

Believe it or not... they don't have a blog and in all honestly it would be sooo boring that you wouldn't want to read it.

No, really. I'd love to read it.

I am so curious as to how anyone with 12 children under the age of 14, pregnant with twins, up at 5am every morning, manages to invite 8 extra people off-the-cuff to stay with them, giving them 2 extra rooms to sleep in and adds 15 dinner guests. Did I get all that right? I might have missed some of the details.

You really hit the fundie jackpot there.

No, really. I'd love to read it.

I am so curious as to how anyone with 12 children under the age of 14, pregnant with twins, up at 5am every morning, manages to invite 8 extra people off-the-cuff to stay with them, giving them 2 extra rooms to sleep in and adds 15 dinner guests. Did I get all that right? I might have missed some of the details.

You really hit the fundie jackpot there.

Haha I will have to encourage her to start a blog lol. She has had 2 sets of twins (not counting the 2 she is pregnant with) She is 44 and I think these are her last 'blessings'

I know how she does it... her kids raise the kids and Hubby and I were thinking that they invited us for money. Sort of like a hotel.

We don't know how much to give them. Honestly, they are giving us 4 meals (well not hubby- he is only having breakfast prepared by a kid that should be sleeping right now :(

Should I be worried that they are vacuuming at like 6:30am? I know I have to leave the room soon since we are ready), but my kids are scared they will have to clean. haha I feel bad. I think I am messing up my kids. I said they could play on the ipad until breakfast.

Help me out I am an introvert and just too nice of a person to let these people down. Hubby thinks we should give them 200 dollars (more than we would have had in a hotel), because he 'feels bad'.

I will try to post throughout the day... can't make promises

Haha I will have to encourage her to start a blog lol. She has had 2 sets of twins (not counting the 2 she is pregnant with) She is 44 and I think these are her last 'blessings'

Wow, she started late and made up for lost time really fast.

Maybe you could look around and see if you could spot a diary, or you know, grab a photo or two with the ipad. I am just dying of curiosity. :wink-kitty:

This all sounds a bit surreal for me. Worldly enough to have Wifi?

Maybe I'm just a manner stickler but even if it is a shitty visit this 'friend' offered you somewhere to stay and now you are basically taking the piss out of them. I think that is a bit rude.

This all sounds a bit surreal for me. Worldly enough to have Wifi?

Maybe I'm just a manner stickler but even if it is a shitty visit this 'friend' offered you somewhere to stay and now you are basically taking the piss out of them. I think that is a bit rude.

Your right... I won't be talking anymore

Thanks

We don't know how much to give them. Honestly, they are giving us 4 meals (well not hubby- he is only having breakfast prepared by a kid that should be sleeping right now :(

Help me out I am an introvert and just too nice of a person to let these people down. Hubby thinks we should give them 200 dollars (more than we would have had in a hotel), because he 'feels bad'.

$200 may be more than a hotel, but they are also saving you on restaurants for 8? people.

Maybe you could look around and see if you could spot a diary, or you know, grab a photo or two with the ipad. I am just dying of curiosity. :wink-kitty:

No. Just no.

In my opinion, if money or payment didn't come up when you were making the arrangements to stay there, then you don't owe them anything other than a nice hostess gift.

They extended an invitation to you and should not expect any monetary compensation in return. That said, you agreed to take advantage of their hospitality knowing full well that they were fundies. So why are you complaining? Even if they are fundies, these people were gracious enough to invite you into their home and provide for your needs while you were there. Next time stay home or stay in a hotel. I'm sorry, but it's incredibly rude to take advantage of someone's hospitality and then complain about and make fun of them behind their backs the whole time...

They extended an invitation to you and should not expect any monetary compensation in return. That said, you agreed to take advantage of their hospitality knowing full well that they were fundies. So why are you complaining? Even if they are fundies, these people were gracious enough to invite you into their home and provide for your needs while you were there. Next time stay home or stay in a hotel. I'm sorry, but it's incredibly rude to take advantage of someone's hospitality and then complain about and make fun of them behind their backs the whole time...

Especially a hard-working, middle-aged, impoverished mother of 12, pregnant with twins! Have a heart!

I know that we are all different but I never post personal information, especially when I am traveling and away from home, on Facebook. Too many people have access.

My young (25) cousin posted a photo of his new bike (think in the range of a cheap car) and within 24 hours it was stolen. Go figure.

I am heading to bed soon, but I forgot the weirdest part and hubby thinks you all should know. There are NO DOORS to the small bathrooms... just curtains... in fact the entry is so small a door wouldn't fit unless it was like a door for a closet that you pull open.

Anyone ever see that before?

Once in a bathroom of a 7-11 in rural Arkansas. Needless to say I went across the road to the McDonald's to use their facilities instead.

I feel sorry for these kids. What a way to grow up. It sounds like they offered a place to stay as a recruitment method and expect to be compensated. I have never charged a guest to stay with me or implied that I was in financial difficulties because of them.

I know that we are all different but I never post personal information, especially when I am traveling and away from home, on Facebook. Too many people have access.

My young (25) cousin posted a photo of his new bike (think in the range of a cheap car) and within 24 hours it was stolen. Go figure.

Same here. I might post when I get home from a trip, but never when I'm leaving or on the trip. I also don't have pics of my house, or many of me--so my parties and fun go undocumented on Facebook.

I also don't have pics of my house, or many of me--so my parties and fun go undocumented on Facebook.

Then how do you know they really happened? :o

Then how do you know they really happened? :o

Obviously, I don't. Now I'll have to change my ways.

Of course, I'm so old that am from a time that people would grab someone's camera and pull the film in situations that people now post selfies with "see what we were doing".

And as a complete aside, despite making specific groups on facebook about who is supposed to see what, and being vigilant about what I post to whom-- when my mom got on facebook, it changed some of my posting style... and I'm 55!

My aunt also does the curtain thing instead of a bathroom door. But she lives alone and won't get another door bc the lock on her last doorknob malfunctioned somehow, trapping her into the bathroom (did I mention she lives alone?) Her neighbor's house is vacant so screaming out the (tiny) window wasn't an option. She hacked away at the side of the door until she managed to get out but refuses to get another door.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I really don't have an issue with the complaints, mainly because they are posted with a fair amount of anonymity. I've had enough fundie-lite friends in my life to know when 'recruitment' is occurring, and it can be aggravating when the host family has you in a spot to try and push their agenda. Homeschoolmomma1 isn't giving names or locations, and really, this just reads like a journal of her feelings that she's sharing on Free Jinger. No one is being directly exposed or exploited, so I don't have a problem with it. ;)

If complaints were being made directly to the faces of the hosts, that would be a different story.

Also, if it was me, I'd be tempted to leave money, simply due to an awareness of the strain on resources for the host family. If Homeschoolmomma1 and her family were invited, the hosts aren't necessarily owed anything except a nice host gift, as stated earlier. But I tend to feel guilty very easily and hate to impose on friends, especially when I know they may not be able to afford to host me.

Just my $.02. ;)

Archived