IGNORED

Who's Responsible for the Possible Gov't Shutdown?

GolightlyGrrl

The guys who are shutting down the government are the same ones who are opposed to the ACA because it "will cost jobs". I guess federal workers don't really have jobs and the folks whose jobs depend on those federal workers don't matter. We won't even touch on the contracters. This shut down will cost billions, but I guess none of that matters...

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see how that 83% number can be correct. The *entire* dept of justice is shut down. Even the Assistant Attorney General, who came in to have a town hall meeting with my husband's group made a point of saying that s(he) was being furloughed if the shutdown happened. I don't know off the top of my head the total number of employees that work for the dept of justice, but it's a pretty large number. In my husband's area alone there are about 250 people.

The federal court system is also shut down, that is another huge number of employees that is separate from DoJ. EPA is shut down and they have thousands of employees, as well.

Yeah that number is way off. They may have been talking about the department of defense, as the charts show that they have 83% of their department working. Or they may have included active duty military, which is part of the department of defense, but that's a really misleading way to count. Which since its FOX, that's probably what they did.

Most departments are completely shut down or have a handful of employees.

Once again, Judgy Bitch shows what a compassionate person she is:

judgybitch.com/2013/10/09/seven-ways-american-women-have-made-the-government-their-husbands-sucks-when-he-takes-time-off-doesnt-it-ladies/

My landlord-roommate just posted this on FB:

NEWS FLASH!

Flash#1: Since the government shutdown 26 service members have passed away, 5 in combat. None have received their death benefits. But fear not OBAMA SUPPORTERS, your infallible hero's favorite golf course remains open on Andrews Air force base. (I don't claim this was his call.)

Flash#2: This is the correct way the Government is supposed to operate. It was designed to be like pulling teeth. This is a good thing with unfortunate consequences.

Flash#3: Obamacare is a Law, 1,532ish laws have been overturned since 1789 for being declared unconstitutional.

Flash#4: If you have been part of the furlong, I am sorry. I hear you will get back pay (correct me if I am wrong). If my employer was 15 TRILLION dollars in debt and run by a pack of morons, I would have saved some of my paycheck for a rainy day...

For everyone, have 3 month worth of a cash reserves in case you lose your job.

Don’t have a cash reserve but have: A smart phone, tv, computer, internet, xbox/playstation, smoke, drink, dine out, drive a car worth more than $1,000, etc…....

YOU ARE WRONG!

And it really irked me, like Obama/liberals are the ONLY ones behind the shutdown. But of course we're responsible for all the evil that occurs in the world. :angry-banghead:

Personally, I'm looking forward to being able to sign up for 'Obamacare'. I've been having some issues for the past few months, and they got so bad I decided I really needed to have a "woman's wellness" exam... which cost $700. Said issues still aren't resolved, but there's no way I can afford to do that again. I couldn't afford to do it the first time, and since it's still not fixed it'll require more investigation, and thus more $$$.. And it kind of makes me angry that people want to take that away from me.

*breathes deep* I don't usually get so upset. :pull-hair:

Driving a car worth more than $1,000 is financially irresponsible now? I'd say it's a worse idea to rely on a junker that could break down at any time (which virtually all sub-$1,000 cars are), costing you both time off work and the parts and labor needed to fix it. Talk about being penny wise and pound foolish.

My landlord-roommate just posted this on FB:

Flash #1: Appalling...and unbelievably true. The first time I saw it I didn't believe it and went to other sources to confirm. I "blame" Secretary of Defense Hagel (and his legal counsel), who determined all DOD employees are essential and called them back (my husband is retired military, they are not all essential!) But the OP's roommate is wrong...tax $ do not fund military golf courses.

Flash #4: Said like a true JERK....but good advice for everyone. Many, but not all, can find a little to cut out of spending. Start a little at a time... $10/month.

Driving a car worth more than $1,000 is financially irresponsible now? I'd say it's a worse idea to rely on a junker that could break down at any time (which virtually all sub-$1,000 cars are), costing you both time off work and the parts and labor needed to fix it. Talk about being penny wise and pound foolish.

Well I guess we are just horrible, horrible people. I looked up the kelly blue book value of our car, a 1996 with 150,000 miles on it. Even at the lowest condition it's worth more than $1000.

I shall go flog myself appropriately now!

Flash #1: Appalling...and unbelievably true. The first time I saw it I didn't believe it and went to other sources to confirm. I "blame" Secretary of Defense Hagel (and his legal counsel), who determined all DOD employees are essential and called them back (my husband is retired military, they are not all essential!) But the OP's roommate is wrong...tax $ do not fund military golf courses.

Flash #4: Said like a true JERK....but good advice for everyone. Many, but not all, can find a little to cut out of spending. Start a little at a time... $10/month.

Thankfully a private charity, Fisher House Foundation, has stepped up to cover these benefits until Congress can pass a bill(?) to pay the benefits themselves, which I've heard that they are currently trying to do. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/charity-cover-fallen-troops-death-benefits-article-1.1481277. I have no idea of the political leanings of the Daily News, it was the first link that popped up in my search.

Amazing what all the ebil government pays for or is ebil government run/part of the ebil government, that now people are screaming about not having available.

Funny how those things were clearly "non-essential" so why did we have them in the first place when the shutdown first happened.

I do hope that karma bites Judgy Bitch really really hard in the ass some day soon.

Her every word reeks of entitlement and privilege. Is she also a Christian, by any chance?

Voting Record:

I just looked up my congressman's voting record on https://votesmart.org/candidate/key-vot ... laUsVCshcY

Most of the votes since Oct 1 have gone down party lines. I don't understand the Dems position to vote "yea" to fund park/museums (HJ Res 70) and vote "nay" on SNAP, WIC, FEMA, Pay Guard/Reserve (HR 75, 85, 3230). I consider the latter to be "more important" than the former.

I'm guessing it's just politics...one can not vote for something the other side wants, even if it's a good idea.

I do hope that karma bites Judgy Bitch really really hard in the ass some day soon.

Her every word reeks of entitlement and privilege. Is she also a Christian, by any chance?

Actually I believe I read that she is an Atheist (you know, because she's so edgy and bad ass :shrug: ).

And I thought this article was interesting, and somehow not surprising.

http://billmoyers.com/2013/10/09/meet-t ... -shutdown/

I'm seeing this article making the rounds on facebook: http://www.omaha.com/article/20131010/NEWS08/131019971

Any thoughts on it? To me it seems like even if his points are correct, the current actions of the Tea Party Republicans are crap and ultimately far more harmful to the country than letting the ACA go forward.

I'm seeing this article making the rounds on facebook: http://www.omaha.com/article/20131010/NEWS08/131019971

Any thoughts on it? To me it seems like even if his points are correct, the current actions of the Tea Party Republicans are crap and ultimately far more harmful to the country than letting the ACA go forward.

I started out generally "blaming" the GOP...but the more I read, the more my opinion is shifting. The article below is not tied to the current gridlock but help makes sense of the current situation

http://uspolitics.about.com/od/thefeder ... iation.htm

I will admit that I've gotten to the point where I actively ignore the shutdown except to get quick bullet-points once a day. Listening to the political blah blah blah from both sides is exhausting and disheartening. I know I should keep better tabs on the situation but it's so depressing.

I hate that I am being forced to watch CNN all the time now, but I must admit I'm learning a lot of things that I normally wouldn't.

I watched whatever is on before Anderson 360 and they had on Ted Cruz and a Democrat (I didn't catch his name). I had never seen Ted Cruz before or heard him speak. I hope to never have the displeasure again ;)

The point Cruz kept trying to make was it's all the Democrats fault because the House (he implied the Republicans) had sent 14 SEPARATE spending bills to the Senate and Harry Reid refused to allow voting on them. So essentially, Repubs good. Dems bad!

The democrat guy said this (paraphrasing). it doesn't matter how many single hostages you are releasing, you are still holding other hostages and that is not how Americans negotiate.

So my takeaway from the entire program was that the Republicans are picking and choosing what things THEY want to fund and trying to piecemeal get those things through the Senate and opened back up, but fuck the rest of it and they still want defunding of Obamacare which is "ruining America" and other scary language.

Cruz kept saying the ACA was doing all these horrible scary things and was a massive failure and said that 5 (FIVE) people had signed up in Iowa. I don't know how many people have signed up, but that sounds ludicrous on it's face. My husband said on another show that was on when I was watching the entire season 3 of the walking dead yesterday that some republican said that less than 10 people nationally had signed up for it and Wolff Blitzer fact checked that during a commercial break and it was something like 187,000. Given that the marketplaces only opened 11 days ago, I don't see how anyone can claim anything definitive about the ACA yet.

Regardless, it's a law that was put into place by the proper procedures. This started by the Republicans throwing a tantrum because they didn't get their way and they are at fault. Full stop. The fact that the Democrats are not backing down and allowing it to go on, does not make it suddenly the Dems fault. They are just trying to make things look better for themselves by trying to pass things THEY want through while still holding the majority of the govt hostage.

As an aside: Cruz is very smug and needs a boot to the face.

My husband is moving from boredom into depression the longer this goes on. It's hard to watch (and my dogs think random baths before it's time because daddy is bored and has too much time on his hands, is completely unfair)!

Regardless, it's a law that was put into place by the proper procedures. This started by the Republicans throwing a tantrum because they didn't get their way and they are at fault. Full stop. The fact that the Democrats are not backing down and allowing it to go on, does not make it suddenly the Dems fault. They are just trying to make things look better for themselves by trying to pass things THEY want through while still holding the majority of the govt hostage.

A friend posted a link to this blog post the other day, and I think it sums up very nicely why the Obama cannot back down and give in to the Republican demands: http://www.stonekettle.com/2013/10/deadlock.html

When Miley Cyrus mocks you, you've really hit rock bottom ;)

http://www.hulu.com/watch/542149

Edit to add: this link may work better: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... top/n41624

Here are the lyrics, as well:

It’s our party

We can do what we want

It’s our party

We can say what we want

It’s our party

We can stop what we want

We can vote how we want

Defund what we want

Red states and sweaty bodies everywhere

Bill’s in the house like we don’t care

‘cause we came to shut it all down now

No government around now

If you’re not ready for health care

Can I get a “HELL, NO!”

‘Cause we’re gonna keep it out shut down

D.C.is a closed town all-round

So la da di da di

Republican Party

Repping G.O.P.

Doing whatever we want

This is our house

This is our rules

And we did stop (the government)

Yeah, we did stop (shut it down)

Can’t you see it’s we

Who are right?

Can’t you see it’s we

Who ‘bout that life?

To my government workers on the furlough

Even though you’re already paid low

Remember only God can judge us

Forget the haters ‘cause somebody elected us

And everyone in line for early childcare

Anyone who planned to see a grizzly bear

We are all shut down here

Getting so shut down, yeah, yeah

So la da di da di

Republican Party

Repping G.O.P.

Doing whatever we want

This is our house

This is our rules

And we did stop

Yeah, we did stop

Can’t you see it’s we

Who are the right?

Can’t you see it’s we

Who ‘bout that life?

It’s our party

We can do what we want

It’s our party

We can say what we want

It’s our party

We can stop what we want

We can vote how we want

Defund what we want

Shut it down.

When Miley Cyrus mocks you, you've really hit rock bottom ;)

http://www.hulu.com/watch/542149

Edit to add: this link may work better: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... top/n41624

Here are the lyrics, as well:

It’s our party

We can do what we want

It’s our party

We can say what we want

It’s our party

We can stop what we want

We can vote how we want

Defund what we want

Red states and sweaty bodies everywhere

Bill’s in the house like we don’t care

‘cause we came to shut it all down now

No government around now

If you’re not ready for health care

Can I get a “HELL, NO!â€

‘Cause we’re gonna keep it out shut down

D.C.is a closed town all-round

So la da di da di

Republican Party

Repping G.O.P.

Doing whatever we want

This is our house

This is our rules

And we did stop (the government)

Yeah, we did stop (shut it down)

Can’t you see it’s we

Who are right?

Can’t you see it’s we

Who ‘bout that life?

To my government workers on the furlough

Even though you’re already paid low

Remember only God can judge us

Forget the haters ‘cause somebody elected us

And everyone in line for early childcare

Anyone who planned to see a grizzly bear

We are all shut down here

Getting so shut down, yeah, yeah

So la da di da di

Republican Party

Repping G.O.P.

Doing whatever we want

This is our house

This is our rules

And we did stop

Yeah, we did stop

Can’t you see it’s we

Who are the right?

Can’t you see it’s we

Who ‘bout that life?

It’s our party

We can do what we want

It’s our party

We can say what we want

It’s our party

We can stop what we want

We can vote how we want

Defund what we want

Shut it down.

That was seriously some funny shit. Thanks for sharing. And the look on Obama's face looking through the window cracked my shit up.

A twerkin' Boehner? :ew:

That was seriously some funny shit. Thanks for sharing. And the look on Obama's face looking through the window cracked my shit up.

A twerkin' Boehner? :ew:

I've watched it about 10 times now and laugh every time. I had never seen/heard the original song so I had to go find that one after I saw it. I actually like the song and the lyrics on the parody are amazing, IMO.

The scene at the very end with Obama looking through the window is the best. He's so horrified.

As an unrelated aside, after watching Miley's 2 new videos (We Can't Stop and Wrecking Ball (I liked both songs), I honestly didn't think they were that much worse than anything Madonna or Britney did during the height of their careers when they were new/cutting edge).

I really like Wrecking Ball and I think the only reason it is such a big deal is because people still want to view her as Hannah Montana.

I really like Wrecking Ball and I think the only reason it is such a big deal is because people still want to view her as Hannah Montana.

Confession time: I actually watched Hanna Montana (don't judge, I like the Disney channel and couldn't be bothered to change the channel...the show grew on me after a while).

Watching her in the new videos, I don't see Hanna Montana AT ALL, which was obviously her goal ;) I also didn't think the songs sounded like HM, though either. I really liked both songs.

I'm glad she was able to poke fun of both herself and the GOP in the SNL bit. I think she's handled the whole twerking thing pretty well. She hasn't made a huge deal about it and pretty much just rolled with it. I think that's the best way she could have handled it and it shows maturity on her part, that many celebs do not have.

I've watched HM too. :lol: It wasn't the greatest show in the world but I've seen worse. I think she is very clearly not HM anymore. She can actually sing really well which doesn't seem to be that common anymore. I can listen to her sing live and it isn't painful to hear.

from http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... own-debate

"[senate Minority Leader Mitch] McConnell and Republicans want to continue current spending at $986.7 billion and leave untouched the new round of cuts in January, commonly known as sequester, that would reduce the amount to $967 billion," the AP reports. "Democrats want to figure out a way to undo the reductions, plus a long-term extension of the debt limit increase and a short-term spending bill to reopen the government."

Sequestration did not devastate the economy...we are now 10 months into those cuts. Neither side projections of gloom and doom came to pass. Why would the Dems want to undo reductions that have taken place?

Archived