IGNORED

Who's Responsible for the Possible Gov't Shutdown?

GolightlyGrrl

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best point from that thread - for every sex penalty, sorry, I mean child I bear, the taxpayer is going to pay $180,000 putting them through public school. Yay deficit!

So I have a question for some of the older members. I'm in my 20's and I don't remember threat of government shut downs every few years happening when I was younger-but I also wasn't super politically cognizant.

Did this happen regularly, the way it does now, prior to the 2000's?

Republicans who insist on shuttering Obamacare.

And/or putting restrictions on covering contraception for women. To get both would be a bonus for them. I was talking with my husband the other day, and neither of us can remember being so angry at the opposing party in the past. Obviously, I didn't agree with the Republicans on many issues, otherwise I would have voted for more of them, but it was more of a benign annoyance, and a well we'll vote again in X years. Now, it's actual anger and an acute realization that they're sending us down the toilet. The article is hysterical though, which is good, because a good dose of humor is keeping me sane. Has anyone ever seen Real Genius? There's a scene at the end where they unload a big ass thing of Jiffy Pop in this guy's house. Popcorn everywhere, so much that it blows out windows and destroys the house. I'd love to find a way to overload the House with "whore pills" in much that manner. Okay - so sane might be a stretch...

0.jpg

Honestly, in a shut down, I think the first thing to go should be the salaries of the house and senate. See how fast this shit gets fixed then.

So I have a question for some of the older members. I'm in my 20's and I don't remember threat of government shut downs every few years happening when I was younger-but I also wasn't super politically cognizant.

I am also in my 20's. I think there was a shut down in the 90's?

And/or putting restrictions on covering contraception for women. To get both would be a bonus for them. I was talking with my husband the other day, and neither of us can remember being so angry at the opposing party in the past. Obviously, I didn't agree with the Republicans on many issues, otherwise I would have voted for more of them, but it was more of a benign annoyance, and a well we'll vote again in X years. Now, it's actual anger and an acute realization that they're sending us down the toilet. The article is hysterical though, which is good, because a good dose of humor is keeping me sane. Has anyone ever seen Real Genius? There's a scene at the end where they unload a big ass thing of Jiffy Pop in this guy's house. Popcorn everywhere, so much that it blows out windows and destroys the house. I'd love to find a way to overload the House with "whore pills" in much that manner. Okay - so sane might be a stretch...

0.jpg

Honestly, in a shut down, I think the first thing to go should be the salaries of the house and senate. See how fast this shit gets fixed then.

I understand. I have screamed and ranted like a crazy woman numerous times in the last few years over the actions of the Teabigots.

I don't know about the threat of shutdowns with every budget debate, but there certainly have been many shutdowns. The Washington Post ran a story last week that describes all shutdowns since 1976: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/09/25/here-is-every-previous-government-shutdown-why-they-happened-and-how-they-ended/

I don't know about the threat of shutdowns with every budget debate, but there certainly have been many shutdowns. The Washington Post ran a story last week that describes all shutdowns since 1976: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/09/25/here-is-every-previous-government-shutdown-why-they-happened-and-how-they-ended/

My dad was a federal employee in the 80s and I remember a shutdown or threat of one happened regularly. My dad was considered an essential employee and had to go to work regardless. Most of his staff were not considered essential so he'd go in and sit by himself for a while and then go home. It would infuriate him! Not many non-political government employees I know are Republicans!

Please note that these "shutdowns" generally did not involve the entire federal government, only a few agencies or departments. Even the current possible shutdown does not involve air traffic controllers, FBI, Homeland Security, and many other personnel deemed necessary. However, the janitors who clean buildings will not work and will not be paid. Those at the lower end of the financial totem pole are, again, often the most affected.

Here's a better analysis of past "shutdowns." http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... round.html

Let's keep in mind that sequestration, no raises for several years...and now the threat of shutdown is harming many. many people.

Please note that these "shutdowns" generally did not involve the entire federal government, only a few agencies or departments. Even the current possible shutdown does not involve air traffic controllers, FBI, Homeland Security, and many other personnel deemed necessary. However, the janitors who clean buildings will not work and will not be paid. Those at the lower end of the financial totem pole are, again, often the most affected.

Here's a better analysis of past "shutdowns." http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... round.html

Let's keep in mind that sequestration, no raises for several years...and now the threat of shutdown is harming many. many people.

First of all, most federal employees except those deemed "essential" (not necessary -- I'd like to think my co-workers and I are necessary, even if not essential) or those whose positions are appropriated will be furloughed. I resent people speaking of those to be furloughed as janitors and those at the lower end of the fianacial totem pole. I am an attorney. I work for the federal governement. I could work for a law firm and make much more money than I do as a fed, but I believe in what I do. I help people screwed by their employers.

My fiance is also a fed. He has 2 master degrees. As a civillian DoD employee, he was furloughed for several days last summer, due to sequestration. He will escape furlough in the short term because his position is appropriated. Neither of us are poor, uneducated, slobs sucking from the federal teat. We are educated professionals who could earn many times our salaries in the private workforce, but choose to work for the federal government and maybe do some good.

I'll step off my soapbox now . . . . . .

I think it's both parties that are at fault. This is just a game of chicken, or poker, whatever. Neither party wants to fold, or blink first. Sadly, as gustava pointed out, it's the people living paycheck to paycheck that suffer the most. Worse yet, Congress members have to be paid by law so they cant suffer consequences. Of course, they wouldn't anyway, as evidenced by all those pay raises they've been giving themselves the past few years. Because they've been doing such a fine job and because the economy is not in the shitter. :roll:

California passed a law a few years ago that required lawmakers not get paid for every day there was no budget. Guess what happened the year after the law became effective? Budget passed on time! Although, I'm sure it helped that they also changed the law to require majority instead of two-thirds of the votes to pass. This whole situation is so infuriating. Lawmakers: just do your damn job already and quit muckin' around!!

(sorry for typos, ranting on phone sucks)

There was a shutdown in 1996 right around Christmastime; this closed the Smithsonian and royally disrupted my last-minute shopping plans in their fine gift shops. Only the one in the basement of the History Museum stayed open, I suppose to generate revenue. My father, a US Army Corps of Engineers employee, was furloughed one day out of five in the workweek during that time, and went in anyway as a volunteer to get the work done.

Several similar shutdowns happened in the 80s. They only affected departments directly funded by the annual budget. Airport security, the post office, air traffic control, Social Security-- these all have revenue streams largely independent of that, so they will remain open. National parks, however, will not; my birthday trip to hike some of the Blue Ridge Parkway is in peril.

My dad was a federal employee in the 80s and I remember a shutdown or threat of one happened regularly. My dad was considered an essential employee and had to go to work regardless. Most of his staff were not considered essential so he'd go in and sit by himself for a while and then go home. It would infuriate him! Not many non-political government employees I know are Republicans!

I don't know if that differs by agency or if it has just changed over time, but it seems like most of the tea partiers I know are federal employees and even of the non-tea party types, a lot of the fed employees I've encountered are very much GOP. The ones I encounter tend to be concentrated in IT, law enforcement and defense-related fields, though.

Given that shutdowns and furloughs hurt them, too, I find it interesting.

The Democrats already compromised on health care when the ACA was initially passed, ergo time for the Republicans to stop screwing with it at risk of so many peoples' incomes and our country's financial health. 99% of the time I'm against proclamations of refusing to compromise but in this case, I want the Democrats to refuse to let the ACA get changed. They've been there, done that on the compromises over it.

Republicans. You lost. That sucks for you. Nobody likes to lose. This does not mean you get to have a tantrum. Obamacare is happening. Deal with it. In fact, if it's so awful, why not let it happen, then everyone will see what a miserable failure it is, and it will be easier to repeal. (And win the election next time) I think they're afraid it will actually work, and then they'll look stupid (well, stupider. They already look stupid.) Here's an idea- if you don't like birth control, don't use it. If you don't like abortion, don't have one. Otherwise, shut up and quit acting like a goddamn three year old.

First of all, most federal employees except those deemed "essential" (not necessary -- I'd like to think my co-workers and I are necessary, even if not essential) or those whose positions are appropriated will be furloughed. I resent people speaking of those to be furloughed as janitors and those at the lower end of the fianacial totem pole. I am an attorney. I work for the federal governement. I could work for a law firm and make much more money than I do as a fed, but I believe in what I do. I help people screwed by their employers.

My fiance is also a fed. He has 2 master degrees. As a civillian DoD employee, he was furloughed for several days last summer, due to sequestration. He will escape furlough in the short term because his position is appropriated. Neither of us are poor, uneducated, slobs sucking from the federal teat. We are educated professionals who could earn many times our salaries in the private workforce, but choose to work for the federal government and maybe do some good.

Right there with you. DH is a network engineer with two engineering degrees. He also is a civilian DoD employee and could be making a heck of a lot more money in the private sector but chose to work for the Feds after serving in the military and for a lot of the same reasons you did. A friend has a PhD in Applied Mathematics and works for the DoE. There are thousands of hard workers out there with advanced degrees who work for the DoD, DoE and other federal agencies. It infuriates me when the Teabaggers and others scream about how federal employees are lazy, under-qualified and that they are overpaid.

I am also a civilian DoD engineer with 2 masters degrees, who knows that I could be making more in private industry, because a large part of my job is negotiating construction contracts modifications, so I see what these people are paid. I do it because I to believe in what I do, building buildings for our troops and their families. The ironic thing about the janitors, at least on my base is that they will still show up and get paid, at least for the next few months until their contract runs out because they are contract employees, not civil servants. Over the last decade or so the government has changed lots of the janitorial, grounds keeping, food service, etc. type jobs to contracts. So they will continue to work, as will my construction contractor, but our ability to make sure they do safe, quality, work will be diminished.

After being furloughed for several days this summer, I will also escape for the short term, because I am paid from prior year funds.

Ralar...My apologies. My intent was not to demean but to point out that it is too often that it is the least among us that is affected. As for sucking at the public teat: tea bagger Republicans.

Republicans. You lost. That sucks for you. Nobody likes to lose. This does not mean you get to have a tantrum. Obamacare is happening. Deal with it. In fact, if it's so awful, why not let it happen, then everyone will see what a miserable failure it is, and it will be easier to repeal. (And win the election next time) I think they're afraid it will actually work, and then they'll look stupid (well, stupider. They already look stupid.) Here's an idea- if you don't like birth control, don't use it. If you don't like abortion, don't have one. Otherwise, shut up and quit acting like a goddamn three year old.

If the Republicans hate Obamacare so much why didn't they come up with an alternative? When are they going to come up with some solid, good ideas and policies on actually getting our country back on track instead of acting like a bunch of spoiled sports who are pissed because some black dude with a funny name resides in the White House?

Never. They are far too busy worrying about what women do or don't do with their lady parts. Besides they really don't care if people die from lack of health care. Unless, of corse, you happen to be a fetus.

If the Republicans hate Obamacare so much why didn't they come up with an alternative? When are they going to come up with some solid, good ideas and policies on actually getting our country back on track instead of acting like a bunch of spoiled sports who are pissed because some black dude with a funny name resides in the White House?

They did come up with an alternative, or more like the exact same thing. Romneycare which is in place in MA. Although that was back in the day, when he was pretending to be moderate and reasonable, and they don't like him much anyway. Yeah, never mind. They'd all rather sit around and be negative. It takes less brainpower than actually thinking up solutions.

I am also a civilian DoD engineer with 2 masters degrees, who knows that I could be making more in private industry, because a large part of my job is negotiating construction contracts modifications, so I see what these people are paid. I do it because I to believe in what I do, building buildings for our troops and their families. The ironic thing about the janitors, at least on my base is that they will still show up and get paid, at least for the next few months until their contract runs out because they are contract employees, not civil servants. Over the last decade or so the government has changed lots of the janitorial, grounds keeping, food service, etc. type jobs to contracts. So they will continue to work, as will my construction contractor, but our ability to make sure they do safe, quality, work will be diminished.

After being furloughed for several days this summer, I will also escape for the short term, because I am paid from prior year funds.

You must work for ACE.

I hope this fuckwittery is remembered come next year's mid-term elections and these GOP congress critters are voted out of office.

I hope this fuckwittery is remembered come next year's mid-term elections and these GOP congress critters are voted out of office.

The problem with these fucknuts is that they've been saying the "right" things to get people to support them. I'm sure they're not discussing the shutdown, they're discussing evil Obamacare and how they're oh-so-wonderful for trying to stop the Communist takeover because Obamacare = no more gun rights = more dead babies = more poor, illegal immigrants sucking the government assistance coffers dry.

Archived