IGNORED

Steve wants YOU!! (Maxwell)

Justme

Not a single one other than your boys. We have friends around the nation that all are against debt. And every last one of them have not been able to succeed. All had to go into debt or just be single for life. I think it is a completely impossible goal, unless of course your parents are willing to subsidize you into your thirties.

I do like the idea, but have completely given up on ever marrying a debt free man. Not in America.

>>>>>>>>>

It isn’t impossible. You’ll see.

Man, I want to smack Steve

Also, who wants to bet Alica and Alanna are a couple?

Alicia and Alanna on October 2, 2013 at 5:02 pm said:

We were taught that if you want a house, a boat, a camper, a car, etc. – you go in debt. We were taught it’s the only way to get anything. It would have been great to have this wisdom years ago. But praise God, we have the wisdom now. We are on our way to being debt free. Not there yet, but made lots of progress! What an excellent resource for young men! I’m praying for my future son-in-laws to grow up with this wisdom!

Alicia

Ummmmmmm……I can only think of a few. That’s the Maxwell young men.

Alanna :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I cannot believe his replies to the comments! (well, I can.......he is too far up his own butt to see the light of day)

Is Joseph moving into his home! What a blessing he is and an inspiration as I raise my own son to go in that Godly direction. Blessings to you all! Please bring your tour to Minnesota!

>>>>>>>>

Not moving in. We’ve had an inquiry from MN, we will see if they locate a church.

Wow, way to be polite. "NO HE IS NOT MOVING IN HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLEY SUGGEST MY SON WOULD DO SUCH A SINFUL THING AS TO MOVE IN ON HIS OWN AWAY FROM MY AUTHORITY?!?! BTW we probably are coming to your estate so I will make some money off you"

Interesting but buying a house debt free would be challenging here, in the UK, where the average annual wage is £26 500 and the cost of the average house is £242 000. Ideas on working to a debt free situation and providing accommodation for a family are, of course, really helpful.

>>>>>>>

Challenging but possible.

You are wrong. I am right. But I am only going to tell you how I am right by you paying for my book and me using the money to stay further olut of debt while you sink further into debt.

Steve, you are a nothing but rude.

Debt free as in paid for in cash, correct? We are “debt free†other than a mortgage on our home, which we bought w/ cash, as a “fixer upperâ€, but had to take out a loan to fix it up (which we even stayed UNDER budget for!!) But, we still have the amount we borrowed to pay off, which we faithfully do each month and more when we can. God has provided thus far & will continue to do so as we trust in Him. Way to go for your sons!! What a blessing!

>>>>>>>>>>>

Good job on buying it with cash.

But you are not debt free. So you fail.

Steve, you are nothing but a rude, arrogant, self-righteous, extremely un-Godly man.

And you're also an extremely substandard conversationalist, Steve. If there's any reason and/or fairness in the world, your book on the topic will be a total flop and a failure!

And you're also an extremely substandard conversationalist, Steve. If there's any reason and/or fairness in the world, your book on the topic will be a total flop and a failure!

Just like Steve himself and his family.

Actually, I can understand why he would choose to remain under his parents' roof. Were he to move out on his own, he'd have all the bills and all the work involved in keeping house. As it is, he's got his mother and sisters as live-in domestic staff, doing all the cleaning and cooking. He's got employment in the various family businesses. He gets to live safely ensconced within the family cult--which is all he really knows, and might lose if he insisted upon living as an independent bachelor. He has no big utility bills, he has a nice, paid-for house that was recently remodeled for the cost of materials alone. He could rent out that house, and have a nice income, which he could put away toward the purchase of another house (especially given his low living expenses). Or he could sell the house when the timing's right, and make a nice profit (and maybe he already has).

He has no friends outside the family. He's never had a job outside the family. He's been taught that pursuing an education or working for other people are degrading to him as a Good Christian Man. He has no wife to feed him and keep his house clean and make leaving acceptible in his father's eyes. He probably wouldn't know how to live an unscheduled life all on his own, and the solitude would probably drive him nuts because he's never been allowed it before, and wouldn't know what to do with it.

So it makes perfect sense that he'd "choose" to stay home. What other choice is there?

And yeah, all that said, that there is no other choice is because his parents have failed him.

Practically everything you have said is the exact reason he could buy the first house outright, adding in the fact homes where they live are probaby very cheap. He likely has no bills. At most maybe a cell phone bill but they are likely on a family plan. He doesn't have friends or a girlfriend to go out and spend money. No student loans. No interests to spend money on like reading, sports, cars or anything normal. He lives at home and eats Daddy's food. Exactly what does he spend money on? Of course he can save everything to go toward a house, he has no adult responsibilities or interests like the rest of the world. I don't in anyway see this as successful. You are treated as a child, yet when you purchase a home outright, you can't live in it because Daddy said so. I would rather have friends, a mortgage or regular apartment, and control of my own adult life. Oh, and cable tv so all the "bad" things that scare Steve.

How to buy a house for cash.

Move to Leavenworth Kansas.

Here is a link on realtor.com to a 2 bedroom, 2 bath home for under 17K. There was a one bedroom, one bath for 12K, but I decided no room for costco shelve beds for the kids.

I have no idea what improvements the house needs, but in Maxwellian Utopias, it makes no difference if the school district is for shit, because you will be homeschooling anyway, and it makes no difference if the neighbors are crack dealers, as your kids aren't allowed to play with the neighbors anyway.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/306-Kiowa-St_Leavenworth_KS_66048_M73742-74307?row=2

And, if the house itself is crap, you can save up and DIY--over time, your skills should improve! And if it looks like helll, since you won't have friends in Maxhell, who will know?

I am a bit suprised

Even for small town KS, these prices are pretty low!

Didn't someone here find out (on the Leavenworth county's web site) what Joseph paid for his house? IIRC, it was in the $50,000 range. Hope I have that right.

While that's not a small sum to save up, it is certainly doable if, as someone upthread said, you live at home and have very little expenses.

Don't forget too, Steve expects his kids to start working at a very young age, so Joseph has had well over a decade to save up.

I'm not sure there are many places around Baltimore that you could find a similar sized house with a yard for just $50,000. You might be able to find a row house in a meh neighborhood, but that's about it.

I feel like a lot of Steve's advice is predicated on living in an extremely low cost area.

The fundies' debt free lifestyle are almost all predicated on living in a low cost-of-living area. I'm sure for many who advocate a debt-free life, the first thing they will encourage headships to do is to move to a cheap part of the country and start your own business (and therefore have no need to stick around a large city where salaried jobs are more plentiful).

Living and saving at home, it's definitely doable for a young person to save enough to pay for a cheap house. However, all these restrictions (i.e must work in area where parents live, must be in cheap part of country) also restricts your movement. There are so many jobs and educational opportunities that are denied to fundies' children because they have to stick with the parents in order to save enough for a small house.

In the larger picture, I think Steve's (and the Duggars and other fundies') perspective actually narrows the economic prospect of their children. Had any of their children been allowed to fulfill their potential, they may have gone onto higher education, expanded their job search for better opportunities. I bet you that at least a few would be able to generate a large enough salary which would enable them to buy a crappy house in cash slightly later on AND boosted their income potential for the rest of their lives. A successful lawyer, doctor, IT professional etc could easily cover more a few cheap houses in small town KS if they were good with money. However, that may require evil college where you are exposed to evil evolution and promiscuous girls, so Steve would say that's a huge price to pay to earn a better salary. In the end, the whole "debt-free housing" thing is just their way of ensuring that their children will not feel the need to expose themselves to "nonChristian" work environments. No mortgage resolves the pressure to find a better job. Each of the Maxwell boys can look forward to many more years of working for Daddy, even when the conferences dry up and their books remain unsold.

Here is a link on realtor.com to a 2 bedroom, 2 bath home for under 17K. There was a one bedroom, one bath for 12K, but I decided no room for costco shelve beds for the kids.

I have no idea what improvements the house needs, but in Maxwellian Utopias, it makes no difference if the school district is for shit, because you will be homeschooling anyway, and it makes no difference if the neighbors are crack dealers, as your kids aren't allowed to play with the neighbors anyway.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/306-Kiowa-St_Leavenworth_KS_66048_M73742-74307?row=2

And, if the house itself is crap, you can save up and DIY--over time, your skills should improve! And if it looks like helll, since you won't have friends in Maxhell, who will know?

I am a bit suprised

Unacceptable! Way too far away from the mothership. 0.6 miles is the limit, apparently.

I am a bit suprised

The assessor's indicates it's a HUD home, which explains the pricing. It's assessed for more than 89,000.

It's 113 years old. I can't tell what kind of foundation it has for sure, but it looks like it's a slab. Hopefully, it has no foundation problems, if it does, that's a problem. Strangely, it has an attached garage, but Google streetview shows there's no driveway access. It rains and snows in Leavenworth; how you get a car out of that garage in less than perfectly dry weather, I cannot understand.

Three blocks from the Missouri river, it's almost certainly in a floodplain. Many of the houses in the neighbourhood have been torn down, so I suspect this one may have survived a flood once. See again my concerns about the foundation. If it weren't in a floodplain, it would actually be a decent investment to buy that lot and the empty lot next to it (they're awfully narrow lots), tear the whole thing down and build new construction nearer to the street.

The other one you mention is darling. Looks like it's got an unfinished walk-out basement. It's a one bedroom, yes, but it has alley access, so you might build an unattached garage and turn the carport into a bedroom. It looks much better cosmetically, and appears to be totally handicapped accessible, so someone's done work in it recently enough that maybe it doesn't need things like a new roof. It'd make a great rental unit or starter home for a couple with mobility problems, not really a house for a fundie couple unless Joseph wanted to get into house flipping.

Apologies if I'm hijacking the topic, but I'm not able to find the one about Chris's "learn Excel" scam business.

I thought of ole Chris-boy when I came across some literature a home improvement company rep left with me a few months back. His business card included a photo of his family (well, his three cute grade-school-age kids) and another piece of literature mentioned his family.

Thing is, not only did I not hire him, but I heard that he left that company amicably and took employment elsewhere ... I didn't get the idea that his former employer was negatively impacted by his loss.

My point being: When you're not real sure of yourself (which this guy wasn't) or when you have a tendency to insult potential customers by accident (which this guy had), it's always prudent to play the "help me support my family" card.

Chris does it. What does that tell ya? (In Chris's case, he may be a perfectly fine instructor, but his prices, as mentioned several times by others, are outrageous. Thus the card-playing. :whistle:

Now I have images of Steve and his sons dancing like the Village People stuck in my head. :ew: :ew: :ew:

Aaaaand I have the earworm(thanks...I think... :whistle: )

Steve Maxwell is a tool(but not as big a tool as Doug Phillips).

Someone who's more blessed with the sweet blessing to be wittier than me, please!!! This picture needs, no, it REQUIRES some great captions. I mean, look at Reversal Anna, Mary, and John!

blog.titus2.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/DSC_6123.jpg

Someone who's more blessed with the sweet blessing to be wittier than me, please!!! This picture needs, no, it REQUIRES some great captions. I mean, look at Reversal Anna, Mary, and John!

blog.titus2.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/DSC_6123.jpg

Teri's got that Nancy Reagan adoring look on her face.

DSC_6123.jpg

DSC_6123.jpg

Girl on far left. "I think I look much better in my black and white skirt, green top and sweater than my sister does."

Boy talking "Nailed it-- just like Dad would say it"

Mom "Nailed it-- Just like Dad would say it"

Boy with leg crossed. "There isn't a woman here younger than 40 or older than 15 who isn't married with a kid or a baby bump. Drat."

Girl on Far Right "I should have skipped that burrito tonight."

Okay, I'll play along.

Left to right:

Mary: "Dear God, if I have to hear this f-ing testimony one more time, I'm going to scream! Trying so hard to block out thoughts of running away to become a pole dancer. Please forgive my impure thoughts. Amen.".

Jesse: "And when I realized my life would never be mine because it belongs to my father, I praised Jesus and was saved! And now, I'm warning you, I'm going to sing.".

Teri: "Here comes the hard part. He's going to sing".

John: "If I were a better conversationalist, that would be me up there. Instead, I just have to sit here and look sizzling HOT and hope I'll get laid before I'm 30".

Anna: "I'm dead inside. And crap -- I just realized it's burrito day."

Archived